Historical information

The name Mordialloc was derived from the name Moody Yallock, which comes from the Bunurong language. The Bunurong Peoples are the Traditional Owners of this area. The name means “high water” or “high creek”. In 1839, colonial authorities declared the mouth of the creek, and an additional 830 odd acres as an Aboriginal Reserve, although this proclamation was never gazetted. The reserved land included part of the Carrum Carrum Swamp which was abundant with wild life and natural resources. Regular encroachments, including land sales which began in 1863, were made on the land until 1878 when the Reserve was declared closed, and the land was opened up to land sales. Market gardening and suburban house lots quickly began to develop, and Mordialloc became a renowned picnic and holiday site.

Mordialloc Creek is a popular bay side destination for local and visitors, and is a site for boating, kayaking, fishing and swimming, along with many other activities.

Physical description

Colour photograph of Mordialloc Creek, looking out to the bay. Many small fishing and leisure craft are moored on either side of the banks of the creek. To the right hand side can be seen parklands, while the left hand side has a small inlet in which more small crafts are moored.