Historical information

This note to the local milkman was associated with the milk bottle from the Wattle Park Dairy, which was purchased by Robin Kelly from a home in Surrey Hills in the 1970's or 1980's. This dairy was established by Horrie Breeden.
The Breeden family came to Surrey Hills in 1905, first to Guildford Road, then Middlesex Road where Horrie Breeden lived as a boy. He sometimes used to help with milking at the adjoining Kenneally's dairy in Highfield Road. Sometimes he and his brother drove the cows from there to Schneider's property near Florence Road on the way to Surrey Hills Primary School. The cows would graze here until the boys took them back after school. At other times he would deliver milk from the Croydon Road dairy (Isherwood's or Bovill's) to St Joseph's Boys Home before school. Horrie became an apprentice in woodwork / carpentry at Vine's timber yard before serving in World War 1. Horrie's father died in 1919 and in the same year he bought 3 cows and established his own dairy on his mother's property on the corner of Goodwood Street and Boisdale Road.
In the 1920s Horrie built the first house in Goodwood Street. He went on to build others in the street including his own at No 7 Goodwood Street. He did all the joinery and internal fittings for this. [Oral testimony: Horrie Breeden to Jocelyn Hall in 1979.]

Significance

In the first half of the 20th century there were many local dairies in Surrey Hills and Mont Albert. In those days home deliveries were comparatively informal. This note to the milkman is material evidence of this.

Physical description

A rectangular wooden T-shaped note; the vertical part extending from middle of the lower edge and the upper part wide enough to balance on the top of a milk bottle.

Inscriptions & markings

In grey lead pencil: " 1 pint / extra"