Historical information

In 1889, 24 residents of the Running Creek and surrounding district submitted a petition to the Minister of Lands, Melbourne requesting land for a cemetery. Their request was granted. The Cemetery was decommissioned in the early 1950s and the last trustee for the cemetery died in 1986. There is a wooden fence around the boundary (May 2024). One paper lists 29 names in the Burial Register 1861-1948. The last two sheets record the history as a timeline from the 1850s to the 1900s.


Havilah was a gold mining settlement from the 1850s located 20km west of the Kiewa Valley and in the Ovens catchment near Myrtleford.

Physical description

Five black and white A4 pages stapled together. Copies of the sign erected at the gate of 'Havilah cemetery formerly Running Creek Cemetery'. Also the 'History of Havilah formerly Running Creek'