Historical information

The brick buildings in the photograph are of the former Sunbury Asylum and F3 Ward is in the foreground. Initially the site on Jackson Hill also known as She0ak Hill opened as an Industrial School for orphaned or neglected children and in 1879 it became an asylum where it continued to function as an asylum until the Victorian Government closed it on 20th November 1992.


The Sunbury Asylum played an important part in Sunbury and wider community's development over 150 years. throughout its existence there was much interaction between the residents, staff and local community, many of whom were employed at 'The Hill' as it was known locally.

Physical description

A sepia non-digital photograph of a large brick hospital building with three nurses standing outside it on a narrow pathway edging a garden bed. A picket fence is at the rear of the building enclosing a small yard where washing is drying on the line.