Historical information

The hotel in the photograph is the original single storey Royal Hotel with its corner entrance. It stood on the south -east corner of Evans and Brook Streets in Sunbury. The original building was damaged by fire in 1936 and a two storey red brick building replaced it on the original site with the hotel entrance facing onto Brook Street. The hotel is in close proximity to the railway station so it was able to offer accommodation to travellers visiting the Asylum.


The Royal Hotel is one of two surviving hotels built in Evans Street. Originally there were four hotels built between Station and Brook Streets along Evans Street.

Physical description

A non-digital black and white photograph of a white single story hotel building showing the original corner entrance and three men standing beside it in the street. There are two other entrances on each side and three windows down one side. The iron clad roof has three chimneys.