Historical information

The hotel was built some time shortly after 1842 by John Cahill, who arrived in the colony in 1842 from Thurles in Tipperary, Ireland. The building although much altered with render covering the original \blue stone structure is on the south-west corner of Macedon and Jackson Streets. The hotel was called the Ball Court because Cahill also had a hand-ball court set up behind the hotel.


Originally five hotels were built along Macedon Street between Jackson Creek and Evans Street. The Ball Court Hotel is the only one still standing and operating as a hotel.

Physical description

A non-digital black and white photograph with a cream border of man and three ladies standing outside a single story blue stone hotel building with a corner entrance. AS well as the corner entrance there is another doorway on the RHS along with three narrow windows and three other windows on the other side. One of the ladies is holding a little child. Two trees surrounded by tree guards are on each side of the photograph.

Inscriptions & markings

Ball Court Hotel, John Cahill