Historical information

The Upper Kiewa Valley Lions Club sponsored a Collection Guide Dog. Money was collected regularly by Guide Dog volunteers. The funds are used for Guide dog training programs. They are trained to guide a person who has low vision, disability or illness. It began in the 1950s and by 1957 there was a guide dog organisation in each Australian state .


UKV Lions club was active in the Kiewa Valley raising money for charities eg. Blind Institute. Collection dogs were used as a novel way to collect money and easily supported by businesses etc. In 2024, our society is becoming cashless creating a problem for collection dogs etc. with donations more often made by internet banking.

Physical description

A) Light coloured 'plastic'/'ceramic' labrador dog with a brown strap, a money slot is on the top of his head, and he is sitting on a brown stand.
B) Cloth Pennant is triangular and long mostly white (dirty) with blue print and logo and a blue border. The end for attaching is of purple bias binding with two hooks for attaching to a stand.

Inscriptions & markings

B) Pennant: 'Royal Guide Dogs Association / Mobility/ '78 / For the Blind / Community/ Service Award'