Historical information

The photo depicts one shift of mine hands at Hanlon Consols Mine Rokewod in 1901.
ist on the left is George Edgar Yung. George was born in Ararat the son of Yohann Godlip and Christina (b Weller)Yung. They lived at Happy Valley near Linton. and Piggoreet. Yohann was a miner and died in the All Nations Mine collapse at Derwnt Jack's in 1877. Interesting to note in the following information that the Hanlon Consol mamager, William Maughan was also the manager of the Try Again Mine in Piggoreet. He was also on the six man school committee of Piggoreet Common School No. 726.
(Is this why George Yung ended up working in Rokewood because of a previous connection at Piggoreet? George married Clara Emma Smith from Happy Valley and worked in a mine at Allendale. They later moved to Yendon)

About the Hanlon gold mining company near Rokewood. 1901 - Information Bendigo Prospecting Club, 21/08/2020.
Information provided once again by Peter McCarthy.
Christopher Hanlon had put down a line of bores south of the Rokewood main street, looking for a continuation of the Break O’Day lead which had been worked for two or three miles with highly payable results, though in a primitive manner. Ground was being paddocked 30 feet deep and made to pay. The bores suggested the sinking would be about 70 feet and a shaft site was selected at the back of Stanbrook’s Hotel. The Hanlon Gold Mining Company was formed in March 1895 and the shaft was bottomed at 68 feet, getting just over an ounce of gold from the shaft bottom.
By January 1896, the poppet heads were up, and steam plant was nearly ready. The mine produced 846 oz by September, which was not as good as expected, but they installed a second puddling machine. The mine was profitable for the next three years, with periods of prospecting and the need to install steam pumps in 1897. A second shaft was sunk in 1899, which bottomed at 86 feet on good wash and was sunk on to 109 feet. 1743 oz of gold had been produced in six months to September 1899, but the No1 shaft was let on tribute as the No2 workings were opened and machinery installed the following year. The No1 shaft tributors broke even in 1900 and in 1901 the shaft was shut down, with the No1 shaft machinery sold late in 1902.
By September 1901, the mine had produced gold worth £66,124 and the No2 shaft main drive was in 346 feet, with gold being found mainly in crevices in the hard floor. Mining continued, but once the No2 shaft workings met up with the old No1 shaft workings at the end of 1902 there was not much wash remaining. The mine was let on tribute in June 1903 and a drive was put in to test deeper ground. The company was wound up in February 1904 and the plant sold.
From what they discovered, the manager concluded that the mine sat at the edge of an ancient coastline and the gold was in a beach deposit. The total gold production from the mine was worth £73,294.
J Lee Archer JP, shareholder, was the manager of the Bank of Victoria in Ballarat. Born in Tasmania, he came to Victoria with his parents and first came to Ballarat in 1855 as a junior clerk with the bank. He died in 1902 aged 64.
Alexander J. Peacock was a legal manager and a share broker. In 1897 Peacock, born in Creswick, had been elected as one of the Victorian delegates to the Constitutional Convention which wrote the Australian Constitution. He later became a politician, state treasurer and three times state premier of Victoria and was knighted KCGM. He died in 1933 aged 72.
William Maughan, director, was an English miner who came to Victoria in the 1850s and became a mine manager, managing the Try Again at Piggoreet, Ryan’s Freehold and the Madam Berry, among others. He died in Williamstown in 1915 aged 85.

Physical description

Sepia photograph

Inscriptions & markings

Rhs front of photo: R. Millist Phto & Lanternist Geelong
Grandfather Yung 1st on left