Historical information

This is a photograph of the first committee of the Sunbury Swimming Club which was formed in 1916. The club used the pool at The Nook near Eadie Street. The area had shade trees, a drink fountain, seats, change rooms and diving boards. In 1966 an Olympic size swimming pool was opened in LIgar Street, as a result of a whole community effort. The site at The Nook became a popular passive recreation area.


The pool at The Nook was a popular meeting place for Sunbury residents in the hot summer months for fifty years

Physical description

A non-digital sepia photograph backed onto a beige board of seven people standing on a diving board that is over a natural water hole. Four men are dressed in swim wear and two ladies are in full length dresses. A man standing on the end of the board is wearing a suit.