Photograph - Colour photograph of original Church of England and Ireland built 1857, Original Church of England and Ireland built 1857

Historical information

Original Church of England and Ireland built in 1857 used as a church, then Sunday School and Common School and later a tennis pavilion.

Significance

With the discovery of gold the population grew rapidly and the Rev. George Russell arrived as the first full time Anglican priest. From September 1857, services were held in the church on Sundays and school classes were taught during the week.

Physical description

Exterior view of the church building

Inscriptions & markings

Anglican Common School Buninyong, No. 59 opened 1857

References

Back to top