Photograph - Ballarat Trams 26 and 35, Ballarat Trams 26 and 35 in Drummond Street at Urquhart Street loop

Historical information

The photograph shows two trams in Drummond Street at the Urquhart Street Loop. Information on the back shows the photo was taken about 8.15 in the morning. The trams travel down Grey Street Sebastopol, up Victoria Street and then Lydiard Street North.
Tram 26 was built in 1916 by Duncan and Fraser, Adelaide for Hawthorn Tramways Trust and was known as Tram No.6. It was renumbered by Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramway Board in 1920 . It became No.111. In 1930 it was sold to the Electric Supply Company of Victoria and numbered 26. In 1934 it passed to the SEC.It is a standard Californian combination - drop ends. The tram is still in the Ballarat Tramway fleet and runs during the Summer.
Tram 35 was built in 1916 by Duncan and Fraser, Adelaide. It was part of the Hawthorn Tramways Trust until 1947 when it came to Ballarat. When the trams stopped running in Ballarat in 1971, it went to Ballarat College - known as Ballarat and Clarendon College from 1974. The College received the body only. The trucks were sent to Perth Museum. The body returned to the Ballarat Tramway Preservation Society in 1978 and dismantled due to the poor condition it was in.

Physical description

Black and white photograph of two trams

Inscriptions & markings

Written on the back in pencil "1971, c.8.15 Urquhart Street loop. Down Grey Street Sebastopol, up Victoria St, Lydiard North."

References

Back to top