Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ballarat Heritage Services Bakery Hill Post Office, Victoria

Established in 1998, Ballarat Heritage Services provides award winning publishing and cultural heritage services. We take pride in making a broad range of heritage related items and photographs accessible to researchers, school children, family historians and academics. By documentation and through interpretation, researching, writing, creating books, and unique indexing projects, Ballarat Heritage Services has contributed significantly to a wide field of research, especially on "hidden" aspects of history such as asylums, women's refuges, migration (especially early non-English speakers in Victoria) and industrial heritage. Our large picture collection includes many images of people and places, especially from Victoria and its goldfields.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 2209 Bakery Hill Post Office Victoria 3354

Contact

Opening Hours

N/A

Entry Fee

N/A

Location

PO Box 2209 Bakery Hill Post Office Victoria

Our Collection comprises a range of images and databases collected during research or publication, as well as a number of contemporary images taken by associates Clare K. Gervasoni, Dr Dorothy G. Wickham, Wayne Phillipson and Lisa J. Gervasoni. We are also grateful for donations and contributions.

The Collection includes Victoria's Pre-Olympic Swimming Pools by Lisa Gervasoni, and a Swiss/Italian collection, particularly including the Gervasoni family of Yandoit Creek, Victoria. Photographs taken during research for major projects undertaken by Dr Dorothy Wickham include those of the former Ballarat Female Refuge, Scott's Parade, Ballarat, research into the freemasons of the Central Highlands of Victoria, and Stonemason's Marks. Strengths of this collection are its Eureka and early goldfields focus, industrial heritage, and its focus on little known aspects of Victoria's history and heritage.

Significance

The Ballarat Heritage Services Picture Collection consists of thousands of images collected to use for interpretation and illustration. Some images date back over 100 years, but many are contemporary views of Victorian towns and places photographed while travelling to conduct research. The collection shows change over time, and the more recent images will be of greater importance in future years.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

4128 items with images

Plan - Routes to the Victoria Diggings, 1852

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Black and white line drawing of the route to the major Central Victorian Diggings, including Ballarat, Bendigo, Jim Crow (Daylesford), Kyneton, Carlshrue, Mount Macedon, Kilmore, Jackson's Creek, Keilor, Bacchus Marsh, Gregory, Black Forest, Geelong, Flemington, Melbourne, Mount Buninyong, Port Phillip.

Photograph - Black and White - Gervasoni Family

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Black and white photograph of members of the Gervasoni family. The grey haired woman is Anne Gervasoni (Pedretti), and her grandson John Hogan Gervasoni is on th right.

Image - Black and White - Koala

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Black and white image an adult koala in a tree, carrying its young.

digital photographs - St Paul's - Constance Johnson's Memorial Service

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Photograph - Colour - Avebury World Heritage Site, Prehistoric Monuments, England

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of Avebury World Heritage Site

Photograph - Black and White - Ballarat East High School, aerial photographs

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Three black and white photographs of the Ballarat East High School.

Photograph - Colour - Grave at Vaughan Chinese Cemetery, 2017

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Inscriptions & Markings

This site was used as a burial ground from 1855 (about) to 1859. European and Chinese pioneers rest here. The Bendigo Chinese Society Honouring the memory of their Countrymen, fenced the site, 1928 Population of Vaughan 1859, 13000

Photograph - Colour - Australian Catholic University (Ballarat Campus), 2005

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

A colour photograph of the former Retallick building on the Australian Catholic University Ballarat Campus.

Photograph - Colour - "Hidden Ireland" Hot of the Press

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Photograph of "Hidden Ireland' author Val Noone (right), Mary Doyle (centre) and Lisa Gervasoni (left)

Artwork

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Relief print. This artist was studying printmaking at RMIT in 1984. If you can identify the artist please use the comment link below.

Historical information

This unsigned relief print was purchased from students at RMIT c1984

Digital Photograph - Stonework, Heydon Church, United Kingdom

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph at Heydon Church, United Kingdom

Historical information

This church is located in the historic town of Heydon, a village still in private family possession.

Photograph - Colour - Arch of Victory, Ballarat, 2011

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of the Rising Sun on the Ballarat Arch of Victory.

Digital photograph - Bluestone House, Portland, 2016

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Photograph of a bluestone house near the site of the former Immigration Depot.

Digital photograph - Dorothy Wickham Researching at Freemason's Library London

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of Dr Dorothy Wickham researching at Freemason's Library London during a research trip.

Photograph - Colour - Blowhole, Hepburn, 2015

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Three colour photographs of the Blowhole, Hepburn.

Digital photographs - Wavelet at Killarney Beach, 2016

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of a wavelet at Killarney Beach.

Newspaper clipping - Ballarat East High School, "High School Extension"

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Photograph - Colour - Myer (Ballarat) Christmas Window Display, 2016

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Photograph - Colour - Stonework, Old Sarum, England, English Heritage Site

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Historical information

William the Conqueror inherited Old Sarum from the last Saxon king of England. It was an ideal site for a royal castle. It was here in 1070 that William paid off his army after a long and bitter campaign in northern England. It was here in 1086 that he called together all the major landholders in England so they could swear allegiance to him. It was a crucial moment. The Domesday Book was being written, a threatened Viking invasion had only just been averted and William's eldest son was in armed rebellion. Old Sarum was an important place where this Norman king of England held power. In 1794 the Ordnance Survey set out to check the accuracy of the first mapping of Southern England, which had begun ten years earlier. From a point just below Old Sarum Lieutenant William Mudge laid out a base-line 36,574 feet (11,253 metres) long. From each end of the line the positions of distant places were plotted using a huge theodolite made in 1791 by Jesse Ramsden. The accuracy of the process, which was repeated all over England, depended on Jesse Ramsden's craftsmanship and on William Mudge's surveying skill in setting out this first base-line from Old Sarum. The nearer end of Mudge's line is marked by an inscribed stone beside the modern A345 at Old Sarum.

Photograph - Colour - Warrnambool

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Photograph - Black and White - Ballarat East High School, Form 6, 1968

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Black and white Ballarat East High School Form 6 class photograph.

Photograph - Black and White - Sutton Spring, Daylesford

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

A spring at Daylesford is surrounded by a drystone wall.

Photograph - Colour - Wombat Botanical Gardens, Daylesford, 2019

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

A tree in the Wombat Gardens.

Photograph - Colour - Shops in Sturt Street, Ballarat

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of an Art Deco shop and statue in Sturt Street, Ballarat.

Digital photographs - St Brigid's Crossley Centenary Celebrations

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Digital images of the celebration marking 100 years since the constrution of St Brigid's Church in Crossley. .1 Cutting cake are (L-R) Sr Sheila Gleeson, Brian Lane and Lorraine Dunne. .3) Greg Lenehan, Julian Lenahan, Kathleen Gervasoni (Carroll), Lisa Gervasoni .4 ) Mick and Dennis Bushell .5) Regina Lane at St Brigid's, Crossley

digital photographs - Colac Catholic Church

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograoh of the Colac Catholic Church.

Digital photographs - boroondara general cemetery Henty

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Digital images

Historical information

The Boroondara General Cemetery is registered by Heritage Victoria

Significance

From Heritage Victoria Statement of Significance Last updated on - December 15, 2005 What is significant? Boroondara Cemetery, established in 1858, is within an unusual triangular reserve bounded by High Street, Park Hill Road and Victoria Park, Kew. The caretaker's lodge and administrative office (1860 designed by Charles Vickers, additions, 1866-1899 by Albert Purchas) form a picturesque two-storey brick structure with a slate roof and clock tower. A rotunda or shelter (1890, Albert Purchas) is located in the centre of the cemetery: this has an octagonal hipped roof with fish scale slates and a decorative brick base with a tessellated floor and timber seating. The cemetery is surrounded by a 2.7 metre high ornamental red brick wall (1895-96, Albert Purchas) with some sections of vertical iron palisades between brick pillars. Albert Purchas was a prominent Melbourne architect who was the Secretary of the Melbourne General Cemetery from 1852 to 1907 and Chairman of the Boroondara Cemetery Board of Trustees from 1867 to 1909. He made a significant contribution to the design of the Boroondara Cemetery Boroondara Cemetery is an outstanding example of the Victorian Garden Cemetery movement in Victoria, retaining key elements of the style, despite overdevelopment which has obscured some of the paths and driveways. Elements of the style represented at Boroondara include an ornamental boundary fence, a system of curving paths which are kerbed and follow the site's natural contours, defined views, recreational facilities such as the rotunda, a landscaped park like setting, sectarian divisions for burials, impressive monuments, wrought and cast iron grave surrounds and exotic symbolic plantings. In the 1850s cemeteries were located on the periphery of populated areas because of concerns about diseases like cholera. They were designed to be attractive places for mourners and visitors to walk and contemplate. Typically cemeteries were arranged to keep religions separated and this tended to maintain links to places of origin, reflecting a migrant society. Other developments included cast iron entrance gates, built in 1889 to a design by Albert Purchas; a cemetery shelter or rotunda, built in 1890, which is a replica of one constructed in the Melbourne General Cemetery in the same year; an ornamental brick fence erected in 1896-99(?); the construction and operation of a terminus for a horse tram at the cemetery gates during 1887-1915; and the Springthorpe Memorial built between 1897 and 1907. A brick cremation wall and a memorial rose garden were constructed near the entrance in the mid- twentieth century(c.1955-57) and a mausoleum completed in 2001.The maintenance shed/depot close to High Street was constructed in 1987. The original entrance was altered in 2000 and the original cast iron gates moved to the eastern entrance of the Mausoleum. The Springthorpe Memorial (VHR 522) set at the entrance to the burial ground commemorates Annie Springthorpe, and was erected between 1897 and 1907 by her husband Dr John Springthorpe. It was the work of the sculptor Bertram Mackennal, architect Harold Desbrowe Annear, landscape designer and Director of the Melbourne Bortanic Gardens, W.R. Guilfoyle, with considerable input from Dr Springthorpe The memorial is in the form of a small temple in a primitive Doric style. It was designed by Harold Desbrowe Annear and includes Bertram Mackennal sculptures in Carrara marble. Twelve columns of deep green granite from Scotland support a Harcourt granite superstructure. The roof by Brooks Robinson is a coloured glass dome, which sits within the rectangular form and behind the pediments. The sculptural group raised on a dais, consists of the deceased woman lying on a sarcophagus with an attending angel and mourner. The figure of Grief crouches at the foot of the bier and an angel places a wreath over Annie's head, symbolising the triumph of immortal life over death. The body of the deceased was placed in a vault below. The bronze work is by Marriots of Melbourne. Professor Tucker of the University of Melbourne composed appropriate inscriptions in English and archaic Greek lettering.. The floor is a geometric mosaic and the glass dome roof is of Tiffany style lead lighting in hues of reds and pinks in a radiating pattern. The memorial originally stood in a landscape triangular garden of about one acre near the entrance to the cemetery. However, after Dr Springthorpe's death in 1933 it was found that transactions for the land had not been fully completed so most of it was regained by the cemetery. A sundial and seat remain. The building is almost completely intact. The only alteration has been the removal of a glass canopy over the statuary and missing chains between posts. The Argus (26 March 1933) considered the memorial to be the most beautiful work of its kind in Australia. No comparable buildings are known. The Syme Memorial (1908) is a memorial to David Syme, political economist and publisher of the Melbourne Age newspaper. The Egyptian memorial designed by architect Arthur Peck is one of the most finely designed and executed pieces of monumental design in Melbourne. It has a temple like form with each column having a different capital detail. These support a cornice that curves both inwards and outwards. The tomb also has balustradings set between granite piers which create porch spaces leading to the entrance ways. Two variegated Port Jackson Figs are planted at either end. The Cussen Memorial (VHR 2036) was constructed in 1912-13 by Sir Leo Cussen in memory of his young son Hubert. Sir Leo Finn Bernard Cussen (1859-1933), judge and member of the Victorian Supreme Court in 1906. was buried here. The family memorial is one of the larger and more impressive memorials in the cemetery and is an interesting example of the 1930s Gothic Revival style architecture. It takes the form of a small chapel with carvings, diamond shaped roof tiles and decorated ridge embellishing the exterior. By the 1890s, the Boroondara Cemetery was a popular destination for visitors and locals admiring the beauty of the grounds and the splendid monuments. The edge of suburban settlement had reached the cemetery in the previous decade. Its Victorian garden design with sweeping curved drives, hill top views and high maintenance made it attractive. In its Victorian Garden Cemetery design, Boroondara was following an international trend. The picturesque Romanticism of the Pere la Chaise garden cemetery established in Paris in 1804 provided a prototype for great metropolitan cemeteries such as Kensal Green (1883) and Highgate (1839) in London and the Glasgow Necropolis (1831). Boroondara Cemetery was important in establishing this trend in Australia. The cemetery's beauty peaked with the progressive completion of the spectacular Springthorpe Memorial between 1899 and 1907. From about the turn of the century, the trustees encroached on the original design, having repeatedly failed in attempts to gain more land. The wide plantations around road boundaries, grassy verges around clusters of graves in each denomination, and most of the landscaped surround to the Springthorpe memorial are now gone. Some of the original road and path space were resumed for burial purposes. The post war period saw an increased use of the Cemetery by newer migrant groups. The mid- to late- twentieth century monuments were often placed on the grassed edges of the various sections and encroached on the roadways as the cemetery had reached the potential foreseen by its design. These were well tended in comparison with Victorian monuments which have generally been left to fall into a state of neglect. The Boroondara Cemetery features many plants, mostly conifers and shrubs of funerary symbolism, which line the boundaries, road and pathways, and frame the cemetery monuments or are planted on graves. The major plantings include an impressive row of Bhutan Cypress (Cupressus torulosa), interplanted with Sweet Pittosporum (Pittosporum undulatum), and a few Pittosporum crassifolium, along the High Street and Parkhill Street, where the planting is dominated by Sweet Pittosporum. Planting within the cemetery includes rows and specimen trees of Bhutan Cypress and Italian Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens), including a row with alternate plantings of both species. The planting includes an unusual "squat" form of an Italian Cypress. More of these trees probably lined the cemetery roads and paths. Also dominating the cemetery landscape near the Rotunda is a stand of 3 Canary Island Pines (Pinus canariensis), a Bunya Bunya Pine (Araucaria bidwillii) and a Weeping Elm (Ulmus glabra 'Camperdownii') Amongst the planting are the following notable conifers: a towering Bunya Bunya Pine (Araucaria bidwillii), a Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens), a rare Golden Funeral Cypress (Chamaecyparis funebris 'Aurea'), two large Funeral Cypress (Chamaecyparis funebris), and the only known Queensland Kauri (Agathis robusta) in a cemetery in Victoria. The Cemetery records, including historical plans of the cemetery from 1859, are held by the administration and their retention enhances the historical significance of the Cemetery. How is it significant? Boroondara Cemetery is of aesthetic, architectural, scientific (botanical) and historical significance to the State of Victoria. Why is it significant? The Boroondara Cemetery is of historical and aesthetic significance as an outstanding example of a Victorian garden cemetery. The Boroondara Cemetery is of historical significance as a record of Victorian life from the 1850s, and the early settlement of Kew. It is also significant for its ability to demonstrate, through the design and location of the cemetery, attitudes towards burial, health concerns and the importance placed on religion, at the time of its establishment. The Boroondara Cemetery is of architectural significance for the design of the gatehouse or sexton's lodge and cemetery office (built in stages from 1860 to 1899), the ornamental brick perimeter fence and elegant cemetery shelter to the design of prominent Melbourne architects, Charles Vickers (for the original 1860 cottage) and Albert Purchas, cemetery architect and secretary from 1864 to his death in 1907. The Boroondara Cemetery has considerable aesthetic significance which is principally derived from its tranquil, picturesque setting; its impressive memorials and monuments; its landmark features such as the prominent clocktower of the sexton's lodge and office, the mature exotic plantings, the decorative brick fence and the entrance gates; its defined views; and its curving paths. The Springthorpe Memorial (VHR 522), the Syme Memorial and the Cussen Memorial (VHR 2036), all contained within the Boroondara Cemetery, are of aesthetic and architectural significance for their creative and artistic achievement. The Boroondara Cemetery is of scientific (botanical) significance for its collection of rare mature exotic plantings. The Golden Funeral Cypress, (Chamaecyparis funebris 'Aurea') is the only known example in Victoria. The Boroondara Cemetery is of historical significance for the graves, monuments and epitaphs of a number of individuals whose activities have played a major part in Australia's history. They include the Henty family, artists Louis Buvelot and Charles Nuttall, businessmen John Halfey and publisher David Syme, artist and diarist Georgiana McCrae, actress Nellie Stewart and architect and designer of the Boroondara and Melbourne General Cemeteries, Albert Purchas.

Digital photographs - Hepburn Blowhole blowing

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Photograph - Colour - St Mary's Church, Dullingham

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Historical information

St Mary's Dullingham is a parish in the Raddesley Benefice.

Photograph - Colour - Kinnane Headstone, Tower Hill Cemetery

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of a headstone in the Tower Hill Cemetery.

Inscriptions & Markings

In Memory of Annette Kinane Died Spril 4th 1948 and her husband William Died Jan 29th 1949. RIP