Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

330 items with images

330 items with images

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine embroidered (lace group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Handwritten notes on paper

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Handwritten notes in pencil on paper, with names of six cows and milk quantities, morning and evening, and butterfat. Dated 14th September 1944. Assumed author Harry Jenkins.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artefacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The note demonstrates Harry Jenkins' interest in the farm and thorough approach to farming. It also provides information on farming of the era.

Bridge Notebook

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Small lined notebook, with plstic removable cover with press tud fasten. Contains notes regarding 1959 bridge construction written by Harry Jenkins. Plastic cover navy blue colour.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

This item demonstrates Harry Jenkins thorough and detailed approach to the maintenance of Churchill Island Farm and construction in the era.

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

machine made lace spotted and floral pattern same as 0005.1

Historical information

From a collection of lace owned by three generations of Amess women

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Horse drawn scarifier

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Twelve blade, 5-6 horse scarifier, green, surface rust, yellow wheels and brake

Screwdriver

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Black wooden handle, surface rust; paint worn off handle

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand crochet (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Lace Trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine Lace (Lace Group Embrioderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Package with note "LIMERICK LACE TRIMMINGS"

Chaff cutter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand operated chaff cutter, painted green with white scrolling; red cogs

Beaded piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

one of three wedges cut from one piece of steel. No relief grooves.

Historical information

Used in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

Horse-drawn mower

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Black mower, offset draw bar, metal wheels

combination spanner/single claw hammer

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

purpose made with large spanner at one end of handle and single claw hammer at other end

Horse drawn grader

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Horse drawn grader, metal, painted yellow, unpainted long pole

Bag filler and rammer

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Galvanised iron with funnel hopper, half covered, rammer underneath, cylindrical pipe.

Inscriptions & Markings

Barklem /bag filler/&/ rammer/ patent registered no 7012

Wire strainer

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Greeting card

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Folded card with printed front cover, blank back page. Inside left is sepia photo stuck on showing "prisoners' camp cycle track Cape Town". Inside right page has three everlasting silver leaves. Centre leaf has hand painted three ostriches and a tree. Left leaf has handwritten " Loving greetings". Right leaf " To my dear Aunt". Red white and blue striped ribbon glued to base of centre leaf.

Historical information

Card was sent by Harry Jenkins, owner of Churchill Island 1936-1963, to his aunt Ada Annie Trott in 1902 while he was serving in the Boer War. It shows prison camp in Cape Town.

Significance

Communication from Serving Australian soldier to family in Boer War.

Inscriptions & Markings

As for description. Stamped Jan 25 1902

Hand Auger

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Auger for working wood

Historical information

Alexander Mathieson & Sons Ltd ('& Sons', after c. 1890), of the Saracen Tool Works, Glasgow, advertised as 'manufacturers of planes, mechanical, engineering and edge-tools'. They received 'prize medals' at the London, Melbourne and Edinburgh International Exhibitions of 1851, 1862, 1880 and 1886, in their 'quest for perfection in tools'. Mathieson's vast output included specialised craft implements for coopers, ship's carpenters, tinsmiths and wheelwrights. The firm originated when master plane-maker John Manners opened premises in Saracen Lane, Glasgow, in 1792. 4 Alexander Mathieson (c. 1797–1852) took over his business in 1821, which he gave as the foundation date of his firm. He was later succeeded by his son, Thomas A. Mathieson (1822–1899), a prominent Glasgow magistrate and preceptor of Hutcheson's Hospital charitable institution. In 1854, Mathiesons moved to East Campbell Street, and had opened branches in Edinburgh, Dundee and Liverpool by 1876. The third generation comprised Thomas O. and James H. Mathieson (born 1867), the latter being a Glasgow bailie (councillor), whose estate totalled an enormous £150,939 in 1926. Mathieson's hand- and small machine-tools (e.g. bandsaws and beading machines) were exported worldwide, especially their 'heavy duty auger bits used... for boring railway sleepers'.

Inscriptions & Markings

Mathieson Glasgow (crescent moon trade mark) 2 1/4 " bore

Diamond harrows

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Incomplete (three quarter) set of diamond (spike) harrows untainted metal

Grindstone on metal stand

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Large sandstone grinding stone on metal stand , surfacew rust

Lister stationary engine

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lister stationary engine, smaller of two in collection, green

Pick, Miner's

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Short top end of head. Commercially made/ Well worn. Handle repaired1) automotive wire 2) electrical tape repair. Painted red, end split.

Three Quarter Yard Scoop

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Scoop, three quarter yard

Historical information

Recovered from San Remo property

Inscriptions & Markings

Gaston 3/4 Yard

Pole and swingle tree

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Long square unpainted pole, red swingle tree, leather fittings

mincing machine

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand operated mincing machine, larger than usual, with multi small holed attachment in place. Tin plating worn off top edge of bell. Plan wooden handle. Stamped with name, number, etc.

Inscriptions & Markings

HUSQVARNA 10 one side; also on attachment holder. RELIANCE/MADE IN SWEDEN + five pointed star on other side. "H" stamped on crank inside.

Centre bits X 2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

For making dowel joints for furniture. Paint spots and surface rust

Auger bits X 13

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Surface rust, some paint spots. Sizes stamped on.

adjustable wrench

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

twist design on handle; jaws bent out of shape and worn. Hand-made

Black beaded/sequined trimming

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

2 layers - one strong background with fine top layer with beadwork - hand or machine? (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Black beaded trimming (hand beaded)".

Model boat

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Model Lady Nelson ship modeltender - smaller life boat. Wood, cardboard. Three bench seats and stern seating. Clinker built. 3 sets rowlocks, no oars.

Historical information

The Lady Nelson was the first decked ship to enter Western Port in 1801 under the command of Lt James Grant. She returned later in the year under the command of Murray. She carried a gig and a smaller tender, of which this is a model.

Significance

The model ship and tender are as exact replications of the actual ship and boats as is possible to obtain through research, basic hull plans available and interpretation by the model builder.