Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

401 items

401 items

Newspaper cutting - "Battle for bronze statue to honour port's naval past, rorts and all"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

P.3 of The Age, Monday Jan 25th, 2010. Article by Lorna Edwards. Photo of Mac Gregory by Jason South. Large photo of "Shenandoah" in Williamstown from US Navy Archives. Tells story of when Shenandoah came to Melbourne in 1865. Naval Heritage Foundation trying to raise $200,000 for sculpture to commemorate navy servicemen and the areas past in naval history.

Historical information

Samuel Amess was one of Melbourne society who entertained the Shenandoah officers and crew when in Melbourne. He claimed the Churchill Island cannon came from the Shenandoah.

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Two page newspaper spread - "200th Anniversary. And so the seed was sown..."

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Information on Captain John Murray RN visiting Western Port in the "Lady Nelson" in December 1801 to discover the wheat and other crops sown by Lt. Grant's men earlier in the year. Also includes extracts from Capt. Murray's log book. Pp 14-15. Reverse pp 16-17 local news. From the Phillip Island and San Remo Advertiser.

Single furrow mould board plough

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Single furrow triangular mould board plough painted green

Screw driver bits x 2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

For use in an auger. Paint spots and surface rust. Straight edge.

Inscriptions & Markings

11 cm long: "BLACKMANS ENGLAND"

Garden barrow

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wooden flat tray

Historical information

Found in Amess Barn 1980s;

Significance

Typical of local farms

Round Crochet pieces x 4

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand - probably bobbin (Lace group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Photograph

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

A4 colour photo of 15 Churchill Island FOCIS volunteers at Churchill Island in garden c 1900s (?). Most identified and named on back of photo. Landscape orientation.

Historical information

Volunteering has a long tradition on Churchill Island. FOCIS (Friends of Churchill Island Society) established in 1980.

Inscriptions & Markings

Names on back. "From Pat Baird/Ann Penaluna"

TIiller

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand pushed two drum tiller, unpainted wooden handle, metal drums

Significance

Unusual object

Neck piece with triangular scallops

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

See photos (3)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine embroidered (lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

wooden mallet

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wooden mallet with turned grooves around head - 2 double and 1 single. Oak handle. Head has cream paint remnants both sides.

Handwritten notes on paper

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Herd notes. Handwritten notes in pencil on paper (lined) with script running across lines, with names and ages of herd.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artefacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates Harry Jenkins interest and committment to farming on Churchill Island and provides information on farming of the era.

Christening Gown

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Long white christening gown with 4 panels of broderie anglaise at front and ribbon ties at back of neck. Slight gathering between bodice and skirt.

Historical information

Used by 4-5 generations of Amess family. Samuel Amess owned Churchill Island 1872-1929.

Horse drawn sled

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Fourteen unpainted boards, metal ends; swingle trace on galvanised chain

Oil Painting

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Daylight scene of Churchill Island shore with sailing boat full sails heading towards shore. In large elaborate faded gold gilt frame matching 0344.

Historical information

Given by Margaret Amess, youngest child of Samuel and Jane, to Mary Clay who was MA's maid until married. M.C. was aunt of donor. One of a pair (see 0344).

Significance

Artist unknown, may have been Margaret Amess or her cousin Minnie Laurence, both of whom practiced art around the turn of the 20th century.

Inscriptions & Markings

On back: PREPARED MILLBOARD./(coat of arms)/WINSOR & NEWTON (Limited),/ARTISTS' COLOURMEN/To Her Majesty,/AND TO/T.R.H. THE PRINE & PRINCESS OF WALES,/ 38, RATHBONE PLACE, W/NORTH LONDON COLOUR WORKS, KENTISH TOWN, N.W.

Trewhella jack

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

combination of commercially manufactured body and blacksmith made handle

Historical information

Used in conjunction with wood cutting/splitting tools previously donated by Wilfred Dungan

Inscriptions & Markings

WALLABY TREWHELLA BROS PTY LTD TRENTHAM AUSTRALIA

razor strop

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Double sided, two strips. Metal ring one end, padded stitched handle at other. Horse hide.

Inscriptions & Markings

KEEN KUT GENUINE HORSE HIDE

Auger bits X 13

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Surface rust, some paint spots. Sizes stamped on.

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Same lace as 0075. Tatting, fine delicate (lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Double ended spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

stainless steel, some pitting. One end slightly smaller than the other

Periodical - The Australian Farm & Home, VOL. LI No. 4

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paper periodical publication 'The Australian Farm & Home', Journal of The Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria, VOL. LI-No.4, April 30, 1942, containing an article 'The Churchill Stud' by Capt. E.W. Dixon

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

Demonstrates Harry Jenkins interest and involvement in farming and cattle.

Inscriptions & Markings

'Mrs. Jenkins' [front page, left hand side], 'Printed Matter Only. Mr. Ted Jenkins, Churchill Island via Newhaven', [back cover, left hand side]

Milk cart

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Unpainted wooden milk vendor cart, rubber inflatable tyres ( perished)

Inscriptions & Markings

"Milk Vendor" painted on right side

Newspaper double page spread - "The Isle of History..."

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

pp. 36-37 of The Sun Friday August 13 1976. Text by Danny Gocs, 6 photos by Bill Tindale. Re: 13 architecture students and lecturer Lisle Rudolph sketching, measuring and recording buildings for Victorian Conservation Trust.

Inscriptions & Markings

Lead pencil tick at box "Pictures: Bill Tindale". Purple texta diagonal line in top left hand corner p. 36.

Paper Letter, typed

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Typed paper letter on Department of Agriculture letterhead, to Mr. H. Jenkins, dated 1st May, 1942, enclosing report with recommendations on visit to Churchill Island. Signed A.C.T. Heweitt, Live Stock Science Officer

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973

Significance

This letter demonstrates Harry Jenkins committment to farming at Churchill Island.

Inscriptions & Markings

A.C.T. Hewitt [bottom right hand corner]

School Assignment - "Churchill Island"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

History project form 3 Mentone Girls Grammar School 1969 by Margaret Stott on an island within the surrounds of Australia. 11pp blue ink handwritten foolscap. 1 coloured map of Western Port showing location of Churchill Island. 17 colour photos. Stitched into brown manilla folder with blue spine.

Shearing machine

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Single stand shearing machine on unpainted wooden stand. Painted blue/green with red disc

Extended Mathieson Auger

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Damaged wooden handle (not original) bit welded on to metal rod, handle welded on to rod,. Surface rust

Inscriptions & Markings

Mathieson + (illegible)

Paper document report - BORDESAN

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paper document report, carbon copy, foolscap, on 'Bordesan', a colloidal suspension of a highly fungicial copper preparation, written by J.D. Riedal-E. de Haen A.G., Chemical Works, Berlin-Britz, Germany, and a memo from S.W. Peterson & Co. Ltd, Sydney Office to Mr. Sutcliffe, Melbourne. 15 pages

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates farming and fungicide methods of the era.

Inscriptions & Markings

Bordesan, J.D. Riedel-E. de Haen A.G., Churchill Island, S.W. Peterson & Co Ltd

Hand Gun

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Very rusted and incomplete. Barrel, trigger guard, hammer spur and grip frame only remain. DO NOT TOUCH.