Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

401 items

401 items

Hand Shears

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Spring double handled hand shears for shearing sheep.

Inscriptions & Markings

"HIND'S PATENT DOUBLE HOLLOW GROUND BURGAN AND BALL PATENT NO. 294 (inside a shield with a crown on top) MADE IN ENGLAND"

Bed jacket

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

See photos (4)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note "Fine cotton bed jacket. Hand embroidered scalloped edge."

meat safe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

painted pale yellow metal meat safe with square grid hold pattern for air flow. No internal shelves. Broken hanger hook. Catch no longer works. Re-painted from dark green. Raw galvanised base. Four feet, knobs top and bottom attached to rod at four corners. Pressed dome top.

Book - "Rebel Down Under When the 'Shenandoah' shook Melbourne, 1863" by Cyril Pearl

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Blue plastic covered dust jacket. 200pp. 8 black and white illustrations.

Inscriptions & Markings

Diane Tillen (?) 1973

Wooden Chest

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Large unpainted cedar chest with hinged lid. Lid has rounded edges. Board at base.

Historical information

The trunk was existing in the house when Gerald Buckley took over from Amess family in 1929 (Edith Jeffery pers. comm.). Edith took the chest when they left the island in the 1930's. It was used by the Jeffery family to store linen.

LACE TRIM

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Length of lace trim with two straight selvedge edges, floral pattern interspersed with squares. Machine made

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

10" Spofford Brace

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Iron carpenter's brace, metal handle, rotating knob, thumb screw, rusted

Inscriptions & Markings

ATMIEBON (x) Mathieson

pair ladies gloves

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

One pair dark brown rabbit skin (?) gloves. Scalloped, overlocked edge. Three "S" shaped stitching decorations with small punched holes along thumb side of stitching on each glove

Historical information

Belonged to Churchill Island Heritage Farm volunteer Jeff Cole's Aunt May Hart, a very stylish woman of the 1920s, keen on horse racing.

Inscriptions & Markings

CAPE LAMB (?)/ MURRAY GLOVES/6 1/2/ MADE IN AUSTRALIA stamped inside left glove. $15 hand written inside left glove. "721" stamped inside left glove. "20"stamped inside right glove.

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine made pretending to be Valenciennes (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Pole and swingle tree

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Long square unpainted pole, red swingle tree, leather fittings

cross cut saw

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

double ended steel saw with "M" patterned teeth. Handles missing. All rivets in place

Newspaper Supplement - "A Voyage of Discovery"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Pp. 13-16 of Phillip Island and San Remo Advertiser Re: Lt. James Grant, The "Lady Nelson" and "Program of Events" for 22/3/2001 - 1/4/2001 on Churchill Island and Phillip Island. See also 0238.1-.9.

Six pound cannon balls

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Approximately 24 six pound cannon balls

Historical information

Accompany cannon. Fired by Harry Jenkins and Margaret Campbell

Significance

Part of cannon history

Lace Trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Tamboured net. Limerick style. Embroidery - hand or machine? (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

mallet

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Block redgum; original hardwood handle. Paint stains. Well used. 2 screws in end of handle to spread handle so it doesn't fall off.

Double furrow mould board plough

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Green framework, yellow mouldboards and wheels

Stationary engine

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lister stationary engine, green

Wagon wheel

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Intact wagon wheel unpainted

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine made lace (Lace group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Sulky

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Restored sulky, 2 ton wheels, burgundy body and shafts, decorative aqua scroll work on rear, black springs, seat deteriorated.

Adze

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Rusted, well worn, blacksmith made with bias on blade. No handle

Lister stationary engine

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lister stationary engine, smaller of two in collection, green

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

small wedge with substantial chip out of narrow end. Relief groove

Historical information

Used in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan.

Inscriptions & Markings

HYTEST FORGED TOOLS

Stationary baler

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Stationary baler red, attached to green engine, white wheels

Inscriptions & Markings

"H.V. McKay, Massey Harvester, Sunshine" in white paint, white scroll mark

Babcock Milk Tester

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Grey blue hand operated spinner to determine fat content of milk. Bottles missing

Historical information

Possibly used by Harry Jenkins when Churchill Island operated as a dairy farm

Inscriptions & Markings

Babcock Tester, Official

saw set

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Steel. Complete including spring. No manufacturer. One paint trace.

Mortise axe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

chisel ended, curved underneath. No handle. Rusted.

Mortice axe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Modern handle. Blacksmith made. some pitting.

Inscriptions & Markings

Long V decoration along head.

Pick, Miner's

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Short top end of head. Commercially made/ Well worn. Handle repaired1) automotive wire 2) electrical tape repair. Painted red, end split.

Small neckpiece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Handmade Maltese silk lace )lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/2012) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.