Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Hume City Civic Collection Sunbury, Victoria

The Hume Civic Collection comprises artworks, photographs, objects and records related to the broad history and culture of the Hume region. Within this, the George Evans Collection is a significant holding of over 5500 objects and photographs, representing the rich social heritage of Sunbury.

Contact Information

location
PO Box 119 Sunbury Victoria 3429 (map)
phone
+61 9205 2200

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment only.

Entry Fee

Free entry.

Location

40 Macedon Street Sunbury Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Hume Civic Collection contains records and artefacts dating back to the establishment of the Shire of Bulla in 1956.
Hume City Council (established 1994) acknowledges the importance of its cultural heritage and maintains a growing collection of artworks and historical items that reflect the artistic, social and political aspirations of the local community.

The collection (formally established in 1987) comprises artworks and heritage items including:

•Works on paper
•Photographs
•Sculpture
•Public art
•Historical documents
•Heritage artefacts
•Paintings

Significance

Local cultural and civic heritage

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

5729 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (3145) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

5729 items

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

Superintendent male nurse and social worker in conference ? also chaplain. Bookcase and cabinet on RHS of photo.

Historical information

The original photo is part of the photo library of the Mental Health Library, which late in 1999 was transferred to the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Copying of photo was by the photography department of the Royal Children's Hospital in Parkville.

Certificate - Registrar's Certificate for Undertaker

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

This certificate is a seventh schedule registrar's certificate certifying the registration of death.

Historical information

This certificate registers the death of Elly Elizabeth Saunders on the 4th October 1951.

Inscriptions & Markings

"...Elly Elizabeth Saunders..."

Book - Back to Sunbury 1952

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A large black bound book with silver print on front.

Historical information

This book contains the names and addresses of people who attended the "Back to Sunbury" celebrations in 1952. Saturday 13th September to Friday 19 September.

Pin - Rotary International

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

This is a small round tie pin presented by Rotary International.

Historical information

This tie pin was presented to Ronald Geyer a longtime resident of Sunbury and member of Rotary International.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Rotary/International..."

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph of a' meet and greet' by Queen Elizabeth II.

Historical information

This is a photofgraph of Queen Elizabeth II and the Premier of Victoria, Rupert Hamer, meeting and greeting school children from the Shire of Bulla at the Tullamarine Airport during the 1977 royal visit.

Lost Property Book

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

Thick hard cover book with loose front cover and part of spine cover missing. Old folded newspaper "The Sunbury News dated 25 August 1934 inside book.

Historical information

Book was used by Sunbury Railway Station Staff to record items of property left on train, at station or found on the railway tracks or at stations further along the line.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inside - "Victorian Railways/Sunbury..."

Diary - Shire of Bulla Diary

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A small pocket 1985 diary with a blue plastic cover.

Historical information

This is a small pocket diary issued by the Shire of Bulla in 1985.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Shire of Bulla/Diary/1985"

Flag

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A white flag with a stylised picture of a bridge with "Celebrating 175 Years" printed underneath.

Historical information

This flag was produced to commemorate Sunbury's 175th year. It was flown from the flagpole at the Old Sunbury Courthouse now the home of the Sunbury Visitor Information Centre in Macedon Street, Sunbury.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Celebrating 175 years"

Photograph - Sunnyside Homestead

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A distant view of a bluestone cottage known as Sunnyside Cottage and its surrounding paddocks with a barbed wire fence in the foreground.

Historical information

A series oh photographs were taken and used by the City of Hume in the Heritage study. The house and property have been with the Fanning family of Bulla since its construction and settlement in the 1840s. See also photos P0861 to P0865.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A black and white photograph of a group of men.

Historical information

This image is of a group of men with surveying equipment standing in front of picket gates with trees in the background.

Certificate - Certificate of Authority

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A small red single fold Certificate of Authority with black print.

Historical information

This item is a Certificate of Authority issued to John A. McKenzie to certify that he had been approved to exercise powers and authorities as a 3rd Lieutenant of the Sunbury & District Bush Fire Brigade.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A view of the prisoner's dock in the restored Sunbury Courthouse. There are two doors behind the wooden dock. The three sides of the dock is contructed from interlocking diagonal timber panels which have been stained and polished.

Historical information

The set of 28 photographs were taken by Alan Flint when he attended a 'Sip'n'Sup' Festival in Sunbury in August 1993. At the festival the Sunbury Tourist Information Centre and the Aitken Gap Gaol precinct were used for historical re-enactments, craft and plant stalls and historical displays.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A photograph of small spiders which have emerged from the nest. Coloured photograph. The image is very blurred.

Historical information

The Evans Street Grasslands are situated on former railway land and contain many unique varieties of Australian Wildflowers and native grasses as well as insects, birds and animals.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph of a replica of a Cobb & Co. coach being driven around a parkland with the Macedon Ranges in the distance.

Historical information

The photograph was taken when the Shire of Bulla organized a Bicedntennial Picnic Day at Woodlands park on the 21 February 1988. One of the items of entertainment was rides in a replica of a Cobb & Co coach around the park.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A sepia photograph mounted on grey cardboard of twenty-two men, some standing and the rest kneeling with one man lying in front holding a football.

Historical information

This is an image of a group of twenty two men in what appears to be a posed photograph in a field. There is a man standing at one end holding a bell.

Inscriptions & Markings

bottom LH corner: Matson and Frazer bottom RH corner: 264 Little Collins St Melbourne

Rabbit Traps

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

Four metal rabbit traps consists of hinged trap attached to chain and long spike. Two traps have names/markings on them. Two unmarked.

Historical information

Used for trapping rabbits for food especially in the Depression years. Also used for controlling the rabbits as a pest.

Inscriptions & Markings

.3 "S.GRIFFITHS/***IXL", .4 "BUNYIP"

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A front view of the Rupertswood cellar showing the closed iron door and the 3 ventillators with a large basalt rock boulder in front of the doorway.

Historical information

The photograph is one of a set of 9 which show the cellar at Rupertswood mansion. The cellar was a brick structure and was built into the hillside at the rear of the mansion.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph of a house under construction at Lot 390 Carnoustie Drive, Goonawarra. A grey panel van and trailer are in front of the construction of the skeleton structure of three exterior walls.

Historical information

On 4th August 1978 construction began on the Goonawarra Estate on land which was the former Goonawarra Farm. The estate overlooked the town of Sunbury and the Jacksons Creek valley. Plans for the development included a golf course which opened in 1980, houses and community and recreational facilities. Construction work on the estate continued into the early years of the twenty first century.

Cufflinks - The President, Councillors and Citzens of the Shire of Bulla

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

One pair of enammelled cufflinks in a blue velvet case.

Historical information

This item was produced as a souvenir from the former Shire of Bulla.

Inscriptions & Markings

"The President, Councillors..."

Poster - "Sunbury/75"

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A large orange background with green nude woman sitting holding pale orange flower. Poster outlined with green.

Historical information

This poster is an original poster used to advertise the Sunbury Pop Festival from 24th - 27th January 1975. The pop festival was held on George Duncan's property annually on the Australia Fay weekend from 1972 to 1975. Numerous bands and singers performed. People were able to camp at the venue.

Inscriptions & Markings

"SUNBURY/75/January..."

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph of two men shaking hands.

Historical information

In the photograph Bernie O'Farrell, the shire president at the time is shaking hands with a young man who is holding his Australia Day Award for 1983.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph of an outdoor gathering which took place in front of a pavilion. Four men are in t6he official party and two of those men are standing in front of the microphone shaking hands.

Historical information

The M.P.McMahon Pavilion was officially opened at the Clarke Oval in Sunbury on 15 August 1971. The pavilion was named in honour of Michael P. Mcmahon who was a councillor for the Shire of Bulla From 1918 to 1949.

Certificate - Sunbury Flower Day

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A card with black print and handwriting used at the Sunbury Flower Day (red) (Red for second place)

Historical information

This certificate was awarded to the prize winners at the Sunbury Flower Day for Cooking and Crafts on 8th November 1930. This event was run by St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Awarded to Mrs. Cullinan..."

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

His Excellency. Mr. Constantinos Karamanlis, President of the Hellenic Republic of Greece arrived at Tullamarine Airport on 13 March 1982.

Historical information

The photograph shows Constantinos Karamanlis talking to Lindsay Armstrong, president of Shire of Bulla, John Kelly, the shire secretary and the Governor of Victoria, Sir Brian Murray on his arrival at Tullamarine Airport on 13 March 1982.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A small coloured photograph with a white surround of a group of men relaxing at a work site.

Historical information

The men in the photograph are the members of the former Shire of Bulla Outdoor staff who worked from the Works Depot in McDougall Road in the 1980s.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

This is a photogfraph of the wife of the former shire secretary being presaewnted with a bouquet of flowers.

Historical information

In the photograph, Helen McEwan, the wife of the former shire president is presenting a bunch of flowers to the Mrs. McCormack wife of a former past president, Tom McCormack, at a surprise dinner to celewbrate John McKerrow's and John Kelly's 25 years of service and employment with the Shire of Bulla.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph of an outdoor toilet. Its walls are brick with cement rendering. The pitched roof has a blue trim and a blue door. There is a wall in front of the building which covers three-quarters of the structure. A brick path is on the LHS of the photograph and a small garden is in the front with some tomato plants and ground covers.

Historical information

The outdoor toilet was a common feature in country estates and farms before the introduction of septic tank systems to non-sewered areas. They were built away from the main house and were often disguised with a wall or trellis.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph of Stockwell Drive before the asphalt was laid. The photograph is looking north. Three gum trees are on the LHS of the photograph. Three people are in the distance riding horses.

Historical information

On 4th August 1978 the construction of the Goonawarra Housing Estate commenced. The estate was formerly known as Goonawarra farm and overlooked the Sunbury town area and Jacksons Creek valley. Plans for the new development included a golf course, houses, community and recreational facilities. The golf course opened in 1980 and the housing construction continued throughout the last two decades of the twentieth century and into the twenty first century.

Certificate - Registrar's Certificate for Undertaker

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

This is a registrar's certificate for undertakers seventh schedule certifying registration of death.

Historical information

This certificate registers the death of Margaret Ellen Hosmer issued by William Henry Robinson on the 12 October 1949.

Inscriptions & Markings

"...Margaret Ellen Hosmer..."

Untitled

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph taken from the hill above Goonawarra Winery and overlooking the Sunbury township. Macedon Street is across the middle distance. Mount Holden and Burke Hill can be seen across the skyline.

Historical information

On 4th August 1978 the construction of the Goonawarra Estate commenced. The estate was formerly known as Goonawarra Farm and overlooked the Sunbury Township and Jacksons Creek valley. Plans for the new development included a golf course, houses and communitu and recreational facilities. The golf course opened in 1980 and housing construction continued throughout the last two decates of the twentieth century and into the twenty first century.

Inscriptions & Markings

On back: PHOTO BY/ CENTRAL DRAWING OFFICE/ REF. NO. SB 2-9/ ROUGH COPY.