Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest suburban historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society cooperates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

Fridays & Saturdays 11.00am to 1.00pm. Closed in January.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', [email protected], 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2723 items

Plaque - East Kew Women's Club, 1947

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed red and gold enamelled plaque belonging to the East Kew Women's Community Club.

Historical information

On Saturday 17 May 1947, an article on page 25 of the Australian Women’s Weekly reported on the formation of a new women's club: the East Kew Women’s Community Club. The article reads: "Wives and mothers in a Melbourne suburb, East Kew, have formed the East Kew Women's Community Club. While babies and young children are under the supervision of a play leader, wives and mothers follow up their own interests. The club caters for varying tastes, has musical appreciation, drama, and "Keep Fit" classes. President Mrs. Grace Thake says that the club hopes soon to have tennis, debating, and discussion groups. The club originated from a debate, "Should women take an active part in social and civic affairs?" Two days later their interest in these matters was proved by the forming of the club, which took for its motto: "To help others, improve ourselves, and foster the community spirit." Membership is open to all women, regardless of age, politics, and religion, and aims to co-operate with all societies working for the improvement of health and cultural standards." The article relates particularly to the plaque in the collection of the Kew Historical Society.

Significance

The East Kew Women's Community Club, also called the East Kew Women's Community Club functioned from c. 1947 to the end of the 1960s (to be verified). The records of the Club were placed with Kew Historical Society to preserve them for posterity. The records and objects belonging to the East Kew Women's Community Club have significance socially for their capacity to illuminate women's associations in the post war period in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

"TO HELP OTHERS / IMPROVE OURSELVES AND / FOSTER THE COMMUNITY SPIRIT"

Household Textile - Supper Cloth

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Plain white cotton supper cloth

Archive File - 'Goldthorns', Normanby Road, Kew

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing Executor's Auction, Sunday 24th October 1931, "Goldthorns", Normanby Road, Corner of Argyle Road, Kew’ - Four page flyer advertising the sale of Goldthorns in Normanby Road, Kew in October 1931. The flyer contains a photograph of the front of the house, a list of its rooms, a site plan (including possible subdivisions) and a photo of the extensive rear garden.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Photograph - J.K. Merritt, Mayor [of Kew] 1904-5

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed portrait of Cr. J.K. Merritt, Mayor of Kew 1904-5. The mounting and framing of the photograph follows a typical layout or style in that each is framed in dark wood, glazed, and laid down on an inscribed board. The inscription identifies the name of the mayor and the year/s that he/she served.

Significance

This historically significant collection of civic portraits was presented by the former City of Kew to the the Kew Historical Society in 1987. It comprises 85 original photographs, and two portraits of the former Clerks covering the period from 1863 to 1969. The earliest photographs date from ca.1906, when the Town of Kew Council commissioned the noted local photographer Josiah E Barnes to make copy photographs of earlier images of Kew mayors and to photograph the current mayor for a display in its Council Chamber in Walpole Street, Kew. The photographs are large format and handsomely framed. The collection also includes photographs by other well-known photographic studios such as Burlington Studios, Melba – Melbourne, Stuart Tompkins, Spencer Shier and Talma & Co - the majority of the photographs are signed by the photographer, and have the dates of office of the mayor inscribed on the mount. There are only three missing portraits in the series. 80 photographs are housed in their original frames – the early photographs were framed by Beaument's Art Gallery, Picture Framing and Mount Cutting specialists, a business previously located next to the Hawthorn Town Hall in Burwood Road.

Household Textile - Tray Cloth

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White embroidered cotton rectangular tray cloth with applied lace edge.

Identification Badge - Secretary, Kew Bowling Club

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pendant medallion hanging from a blue enamel bar with the title 'SECRETARY' The medallion is in green, red, black and gold enamel, the colours of the Kew Bowling Club..

Historical information

Secretary's medallion belonging to Saul Spielmann donated to the Society's by his wife Shirley.

Women's Clothing - Evening Dress

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black velvet, black and majenta organza, taffeta underskirt, large black satin bow, drop waisted evening dress, made to order for the donor from a boutique in Ivanhoe.

Historical information

The dress was donated by Kathleen Gervasoni, a long term resident of Kew, Mayoress of the former City of Kew (1978-1979).

Photograph - Robert M. Young, Mayor [of Kew] 1869-70

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed portrait of Cr. Robert M. Young, Mayor of Kew 1869-70. The mounting and framing of the photograph follows a typical layout or style in that each is framed in dark wood, glazed, and laid down on an inscribed board. The inscription identifies the name of the mayor and the year/s that he/she served.

Significance

The collection of photographs presented by the former City of Kew to the the Kew Historical Society in 1987 is historically significant. It comprises 85 original photographs, and two portraits of the former Clerks of the Kew City Council covering the period from 1863 to 1969. The earliest photographs date from c.1906, when the Town of Kew Council commissioned the noted local photographer Josiah E Barnes to make copy photographs of earlier images of Kew mayors and to photograph the current mayor for a display in its Council Chamber in Walpole Street, Kew. The photographs are large format and handsomely framed. The collection also includes photographs by other well-known photographic studios such as Burlington Studios, Melba – Melbourne, Stuart Tompkins, Spencer Shier and Talma & Co - the majority of the photographs are signed by the photographer, and have the dates of office of the mayor inscribed on the mount. There are only three missing portraits in the series. 80 photographs are housed in their original frames – the early photographs were framed by Beaument's Art Gallery, Picture Framing and Mount Cutting specialists, a business previously located next to the Hawthorn Town Hall in Burwood Road.

Photograph - Public Works, Road Construction, circa 1920s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Public works. A close-up photograph of a grader being pulled by a truck.

Historical information

An original photograph donated to the Kew Historical Society by the City's Engineering Department following the amalgamation of Kew into the City of Boroondara. While not all of the photographs are of Studley Park, Kew or East Kew, each photo provides a fine snapshot of the work of local government engineering departments of the period. They reveal they types of labour conducted, the techniques used and the equipment and machinery in the possession of the local government authority.

Photograph

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of Joan Hutchinson, playing Cilli, an errand girl in a flower shop, in the Kew Light Opera Company's performance of Goodnight Vienna! in 1957. The theatre programme for the production notes that: "Joan Hutchinson (Cilli) made her first appearance with the Company as "Vittoria" in "The Maid of the Mountains" and was an instant success. Before coming to us she had played in "Alaya" by the Australian composer, Edith Harrhy, and now as "Cilli" has the opportunity of creating another successful memorable part."

Historical information

The Kew Light Opera Company was formed in 1952, and mounted a number of musical and variety productions each year until it was subsumed in the "Q" Theatre Guild in 1957. A partial record of performances by the company includes: 1952 Florodora, 1953 The Cingalee - San Toy or The Emperor's Own, 1954 While the Sun Shines - A Country Girl - Our Miss Gibbs, 1955 The Toreador - The Arcadians, 1956 The Maid of the Mountains - Whiteoaks - Goodnight Vienna!, 1957 A Country Girl. Most of the Company's performances took place in the Kew Recreation Hall in Wellington Street, Kew.

Significance

The scrapbook of annotated photographs, programmes, and newspaper reviews of which this item is a part was assembled by Marion Tilley, wardrobe mistress for, and performer in, productions by the Kew Light Opera Company and the "Q" Theatre Guild. It is significant as a remarkably complete document of theatre performances in Kew, Victoria during the 1950s and 1960s. The scrapbook, and the items individually catalogued within it, have artistic and aesthetic significance within the history of performing arts in Victoria in the middle of the 20th Century. They have social significance in that they reveal socio-cultural values and preoccupations during the period. The records also act as a history of arts activities in the Kew Recreation Hall and later in the Kew City Hall as entertainment and community arts and music precincts.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed beside the photo in the scrapbook by Marion Tilley: "Joan Hutchinson".

Photograph - Kew Becomes a City, 1921

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Kew Becomes a City, 1921. Small photograph mounted on card of the official portrait of the Mayor and Councillors of Kew in 1921. Josiah Earl Barnes, the photographer, posed the group in front of the Jubilee Rotunda in the Alexandra Gardens in Cotham Road, Kew. At the centre of the group in mayoral robes is the then mayor of Kew, Cr. F.G.A. Barnard. This was to be the last major commission by the Council for J.E. Barnes, who had been responsible for creating the series of 19th Century portraits of former mayors that was displayed in the Kew Town Hall in Walpole Street.

Significance

This is one of two photographs in the collection of the official portrait commissioned when Kew became a city in 1921. The other photograph is the large framed photograph which was displayed in the Kew Town Hall in Walpole Street. This photograph was donated by a descendant of the Kellett family. It is also significant in that it is the last official photograph taken by Josiah Barnes before his death in the same year.

Photographic Reproduction - Flinders Street, from the corner of Swanston Street, 1874

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Flinders Street, from the corner of Swanston Street, 1874. Photographic reproduction, source unknown.

Plan - Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works : Borough of Kew : Detail Plan No.1588

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Original survey plan, issued by the MMBW to a contractor with responsibility for constructing sewers in the area identified on the plan within the Borough of Kew. The plan was at some stage hand-coloured, possibly by the contractor, but more likely by officers working in the Engineering Department of the Borough and later Town, then City of Kew. The hand-coloured sections of buildings on the plan were used to denote masonry or brick constructions (pink), weatherboard constructions (yellow), and public buildings (grey). This plan shows the original configuration of the Kew Post Office, Court House and Police Station, which had opened in 1888. This configuration was to essentially remain until the purchase of the Court House and Police Station by the City of Boroondara in 2007 and its subsequent renovation. Interestingly, the MMBW surveyors incorrectly labelled parts of the complex. In the triangle in front of the Post Office, before the erection of the Kew Cenotaph in 1925, was located a lawn and the Queen Victoria Jubilee Fountain. While many of the shops on the south side of High street had been constructed by 1903 a number of sites were still used as vegetable gardens. Further along High Street, on the corner of Charles Street, the Salvation Army Barracks can be seen on the plan. These Barracks predate the later Citadel and ‘Young People’s Hall’ that were opened in 1919. At 22 Charles Street can be seen the house of James Venn Morgan. Hailed as the ‘father of Kew’, Morgan arrived in Melbourne in 1840. He was first engaged as a bookmaker, but a fortunate venture on the goldfields enabled him to purchase land in Kew. He conducted a market garden and dairy in Kew for many years.

Historical information

The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) plans were produced from the 1890s to the 1950s. They were crucial to the design and development of Melbourne's sewerage and drainage system. The plans, at a scale of 40 feet to 1 inch (1:480), provide a detailed historical record of Melbourne streetscapes and environmental features. Each plan covers one or two street blocks (roughly six streets), showing details of buildings, including garden layouts and ownership boundaries, and features such as laneways, drains, bridges, parks, municipal boundaries and other prominent landmarks as they existed at the time each plan was produced. (Source: State Library of Victoria)

Significance

This plan forms part of a large group of MMBW plans and maps that was donated to the Society by the Mr Poulter, City Engineer of the City of Kew in 1989. Within this collection, thirty-five hand-coloured plans, backed with linen, are of statewide significance as they include annotations that provide details of construction materials used in buildings in the first decade of the 20th century as well as additional information about land ownership and usage. The copies in the Public Record Office Victoria and the State Library of Victoria are monochrome versions which do not denote building materials so that the maps in this collection are invaluable and unique tools for researchers and heritage consultants. A number of the plans are not held in the collection of the State Library of Victoria so they have the additional attribute of rarity.

Photograph - Cosy Five Roomed Rough Cast Bungalow, Kew / by J. E. Barnes, circa 1920

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A modest weatherboard house with rough-cast rendered walls. The gabled entrance incorporates elements of the Japanese aesthetic. The strong lines of the dark timber gable are reinforced by the colour and shape of the pickets in the fence. In contrast to an earlier period, the chimneys appear truncated. The use of extensive double-hung sash windows in the front rooms reflects a new interest in light in houses. The use of separate sunshades over windows in an earlier period is here replaced by an extension of the roofline over the window. The photographer Josiah Barnes died in 1921; so, the photograph of the house must predate this date. The location of the house, which was advertised for sale, has to date not been identified.

Significance

Subdivision plans are historically important documents used as evidence of the growth of suburbs in Australia. They frequently provide information about when the land was sold on which a built structure was subsequently constructed as well as evidence relating to surveyors and real estate and financial agents. The numerous subdivision plans in the Kew Historical Society's collection represent working documents, ranging from the initial sketches made in planning a subdivision to printed plans on which auctioneers or agents listed the prices for which individual lots were sold. In a number of cases, the reverse of a subdivision plan in the collection includes a photograph of a house that was also for sale by the agent. These photographs provide significant heritage information relating house design and decoration, fencing and household gardens. The photograph is also aesthetically significant as it was taken by J. E. Barnes, a nationally significant photographer. He was the most important photographer to have worked in Kew. He was active as a photographer in the district from c.1906 until his death in 1921. Best known as 'the Embarkation Photographer' (see the Australian War Memorial collection), Josiah Earl Barnes was also the official photographer employed by the Borough (and later Town, then City) of Kew. He clearly also completed commercial jobs for local businesses, as is the case in this photograph of a house for a local real estate and financial agent.

Inscriptions & Markings

Illegible inscription. Photographer's information on mount.

Photograph - Electricity Supply Poles, South Road, Moorabbin, 1965

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Electricity Supply Poles, South Road, Moorabbin, 1965. Stuart Tompkins Studio provided this photograph for the Kew City Council. The photograph of South Road, Moorabbin, west of Jasper Road, looking east depicts steel poles with two lamps in a median strip and supply wires from pole to pole. The poles were described as 100′ apart. The notation on the rear of the photograph was that there were lamps along the median strip except at intersections. A wooden pole is recognised as supporting heavy supply lines across the road. The steel poles in the photograph were said to be between 3′ to 3.5′ whereas the wooden poles were three to 12.25″ in diameter. [There are three copies of this photograph in the Collection.]

Historical information

Research provided by Stuart Tompkins Studio, Box Hill, into alternatives for median strip street lighting to be used in Burke Road, Kew. The photographers identified variants in different suburbs appropriate to Kew's needs.

Significance

The series from which the photograph is drawn provides a snapshot by a commercial photographic studio of each named vicinity in 1965 as well as providing examples of public works infrastructure being commissioned by local government in the 1960s. The photos originally formed part of the Engineering Department's files in the City of Kew before being donated to the kew Historical Society.

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed inscription on reverse: "Electricity Supply Poles. Photographed for Kew City Council 8/2/65. No.2 South Road - Moorabbin, west of Jasper Road, looking east. Steel poles with two lamps in median strip and supply wires from pole to pole along median strip (poles only 100' apart). Lamps along median only except at intersections. Wooden pole supports heavy supply lines across the road. Wooden poles 3' up and 8 1/2" dia. Wooden poles 3' up and 12 1/2 dia." Studio stamp: "Stuart Tompkins Studio. 547 Station Street, Box Hill. WX1439."

Manuscript - Scrapbook, Kew Light Opera Company & "Q" Theatre / compiled by Marion Tilley 1952-1965

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Scrapbook of newspaper reviews cast photographs and programmes of the Kew Light Opera Company (later amalgamating into "Q" Theatre). Donated by the daughter of Marion Tilley. The scapbook covers items from the years 1952 to c. 1965.

Print - John Hodgson

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A print of a portrait of John Hodgson, prominent early settler of Melbourne and of Kew.

Significance

This work forms part of the collection assembled by the historian Dorothy Rogers, that was donated to the Kew Historical Society by her son John Rogers in 2015. The manuscripts, photographs, maps, and documents were sourced by her from both family and local collections or produced as references for her print publications. Many were directly used by Rogers in writing ‘Lovely Old Homes of Kew’ (1961) and 'A History of Kew' (1973), or the numerous articles on local history that she produced for suburban newspapers. Most of the photographs in the collection include detailed annotations in her hand. The Rogers Collection provides a comprehensive insight into the working habits of a historian in the 1960s and 1970s. Together it forms the largest privately-donated collection within the archives of the Kew Historical Society

Inscriptions & Markings

Nil

Archive File - GRIMES, Charles

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Charles Grimes was acting Surveyor-General of the Colony of New South Wales. He was the first European cartographer to map the lower reaches of the Yarra River. The archival file contains both research on the ‘exploration’ by Grimes as well as information on a re-enactment, sponsored by the Kew Historical Society in 1978, to mark the 175th year of his party’s arrival in the area of what is now Dight’s Falls. In the file is a 13-page handwritten document to be used as a script for a speech during the reenactment, which also includes details of the costumes to be worn. There are additional unpublished manuscripts in the file about Grimes and his ‘journey’ by Mr Chinner and Mavis Rolley. The file also includes newspaper articles/clippings as well as sundry published articles.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Program - Casualaire Parade

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Programme for an exclusive Autumn showing by Casualaire, 1353 Burke Road, East Kew, compered by Gwynne Harrison

Significance

The Arthur Dear Collection is a comprehensive collection of theatrical ephemera relating to performances by theatrical and musical organisations from within and outside the former City of Kew who typically performed at venues in Kew during the 1950s and 1960s.

Footwear - Gold Leather Shoes / by Bruno

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pair of gold leather sling back women’s shoes featuring open toes, made by Bruno

Inscriptions & Markings

BRUNO / Whispers / Whispers ???? Whispers / Resin Sole / 6 B

Information File - KENT-HUGHES, Sir Wilfrid

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing sundry newspaper articles dating from as early as 1923 relating to Wilfred Kent Hughes as well as items relating to his death and funeral. The latter examples of printed ephemera were customised to include messages from Edith Kent Hughes. The file includes correspondence between the Historical Society and Kent Hughes, some on parliamentary and Yarra Bend Park letterhead. The file includes a copy of the State Funeral Order of Service (1970).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Textile - Crocheted Doily, c.1935

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White crocheted doily that commemorates the twenty-fifth jubilee year of the reign of George V (1910-35)

Archive File - HAWKINS, Cr Leo

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a letter from the Kew Historical Society to Cr Hawkins congratulating him on his election to the office of Mayor (1971) and his obituary by Noel Tennison, published in the Age newspaper (5 May, 2006).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Women's Clothing - Swimsuit by Liberty, Australia,1960s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Liberty brand cotton woman’s swimsuit in shades of pink with ruched back. A label identifies the swimsuit as made of cotton and rubber, and gives its size as XW. It proudly identifies the country of its manufacture as Australia

book - Sir Robert Menzies 1894-1968 - a new informal memoir / [by] Sir Percy Joske

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

354p. : ill

Photograph - Cr. W. D. Vaughan, Mayor [of Kew] 1937-38, 1947-48, 1961-62

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed portrait of Cr. W. D. Vaughan, Mayor [of Kew] 1937-38, 1947-48, 1961-62. [This is the second mayoral portrait of Cr. Vaughan in the collection] The mounting and framing of the photograph follows a typical layout or style in that each is framed in dark wood, glazed, and laid down on an inscribed board. The inscription identifies the name of the mayor and the year/s that he/she served.

Significance

This historically significant collection of civic portraits was presented by the former City of Kew to the the Kew Historical Society in 1987. It comprises 85 original photographs, and two portraits of the former Clerks covering the period from 1863 to 1969. The earliest photographs date from ca.1906, when the Town of Kew Council commissioned the noted local photographer Josiah E Barnes to make copy photographs of earlier images of Kew mayors and to photograph the current mayor for a display in its Council Chamber in Walpole Street, Kew. The photographs are large format and handsomely framed. The collection also includes photographs by other well-known photographic studios such as Burlington Studios, Melba – Melbourne, Stuart Tompkins, Spencer Shier and Talma & Co - the majority of the photographs are signed by the photographer, and have the dates of office of the mayor inscribed on the mount. There are only three missing portraits in the series. 80 photographs are housed in their original frames – the early photographs were framed by Beaument's Art Gallery, Picture Framing and Mount Cutting specialists, a business previously located next to the Hawthorn Town Hall in Burwood Road.

Scrapbook - Historic Buildings - Kew, 1958-78

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

11-page scrapbook of photographs and newspaper clippings with annotations by Eva Grant, a past member of the Kew Historical Society. The pages of the album can be viewed in the image carousel above. Based on the text and known dates of demolition of a number of the buildings, the scrapbook was assembled over a twenty year period between c.1958-c.1978.

Historical information

One of three scrapbooks of photographs and newspaper cuttings taken and or collected by Eva Grant, a past member of the Kew Historical Society, which were donated by her niece, Julie Thomson. The albums include many photographs of Kew from the 1950s to the 1970s. Buildings included in the scrapbook include: Billy Hughes' house - 167 Cotham Road Congregational Church - Walpole Street (c.1978) Country Roads Board - Denmark Street (1960) Dorothy Rogers Reserve - Studley Park Road Ellsmere (also Ellesmere/Ellsmore) - Princess Street Field Place - 3 Henty Court Fernhurst - 13 Fernhurst Grove Kew Civic Centre (1959) Kew Junction (1958) Kew Railway Station (1902, 1959) Kew Recreation Hall - Wellington Street (1960) Neama (Hall) - Studley Park Road Southesk (formerly Ordsall) - Cotham Road (c.1960) St Anthony's Home for Babies (formerly Madford) - 43 Wellington Street (c.1976) Studley House - Nolan Avenue

Significance

The scrapbook contains historically significant, rare and sometimes unique images of significant heritage buildings in Kew, including their erection and demolition.

Inscriptions & Markings

Includes letter from donor

Archive File - Institute of Early Childhood Development [Kew]

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a copy of the publication ‘Diamond Jubilee Institute of Early Childhood Development’, which includes a chronology and a brief history. Reproductions of early photographs of Mooroolbeek are included in the publication. The publication included research by Rosemary Bopreham and photographs by Gavin Fry. In the archive file are three invitations to graduation ceremonies issued in 1952 and 1953, donated by Mrs C.S. Dickins.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Print - James Dannock (jnr)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Portrait of James Dannock Jnr.

Significance

This work forms part of the collection assembled by the historian Dorothy Rogers, that was donated to the Kew Historical Society by her son John Rogers in 2015. The manuscripts, photographs, maps, and documents were sourced by her from both family and local collections or produced as references for her print publications. Many were directly used by Rogers in writing ‘Lovely Old Homes of Kew’ (1961) and 'A History of Kew' (1973), or the numerous articles on local history that she produced for suburban newspapers. Most of the photographs in the collection include detailed annotations in her hand. The Rogers Collection provides a comprehensive insight into the working habits of a historian in the 1960s and 1970s. Together it forms the largest privately-donated collection within the archives of the Kew Historical Society.

Inscriptions & Markings

"James Dannock Jnr. (Son of James pioneer). Born 1831."

Button - Wattle Day for Children

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A ‘Wattle Day for Children’ badge, which appropriates national symbols of fauna and flora: a kookaburra and wattle. The circular pressed metal fundraising badge was produced to support the war effort.

Historical information

Most of the civic and sporting ephemera assembled by Francis Rigg were patriotic buttons. The use of these buttons as a means of raising revenue through patriotic sentiment occurred soon after Australia pledged allegiance to Empire. Buttons reflected ‘public sentiment, courage, patriotism, generosity and several [un- named] virtues’ such as the martyred mother of a ‘fallen’ hero. Attention was paid to attractiveness of design, encoded symbolism and high quality of production. Expressing ‘loyalty’, they were tokens to be kept for perpetuity. Female labour was used to operate the die that compressed the tin backing, photographic print and celluloid cover together. The pin was applied by hand. Women, of all ages, entered into the spirit of voluntary sales. Often they were sold at the entry and exit points of major pedestrian thoroughfares. The women of Kew set up a kiosk in front of the Post Office and the Railway Station to solicit their round, oval and square shaped wares. Pride in salesmanship was affected by publishing the name of the woman and her fiscal achievement in the major newspapers of the day.

Significance

The buttons form part of a collection of ephemera assembled by Francis Horace Rigg (19/10/1882-05/03/1946) of 50 Belford Road, Kew (Vic.). Frances Rigg was a local business identity in Kew, ultimately managing the local branch of the English, Scottish and Australian (ES&A) Bank at 175 High Street, Kew from c. 1920 until the 1940s. After Francis Rigg’s death, the collection of buttons and medallions was inherited by his son, Ken Rigg (14/11/1922-19/01/2014). The collection was subsequently donated to the Kew Historical Society in 2015 by his grandson Adrian Rigg at the time of the Gallipoli & Beyond Commemoration. The collection covers a period of almost 40 years. The majority of the buttons are patriotic buttons, issued and sold during and immediately after the First World World War (1914-1918) to raise funds for national and overseas causes. The collection also includes a number of locally significant sporting event buttons and sporting club medallions, issued in the 1920s and 1930s.