Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest suburban historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society cooperates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

Fridays & Saturdays 11.00am to 1.00pm. Closed in January.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', [email protected], 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2723 items

Album - Victorian Sketchbook / by Louisa Goulburn Thomas [et al], 1862

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The large bound sketchbook has a marbled cover with blue binding. The name Louisa Goulburn Thomas and the date 1862 are faintly inscribed in pencil on the front page. However the book contains pen and ink and pencil drawings, watercolours, and photographs, which both predate and postdate 1862. The approximately 75 works are loose-leafed items and [currently] do not form a chronological, geographical or thematic sequence. Creators identified on some drawings and watercolours include Mary Julia Wilder Thomas, JFV Wright, ELG (Edward Louis de Bondell Gipps?), L Nicholson, Bertha Isadore Thomas, and HG (Henry Gipps?). Many of the works are signed and dated, and include rural landscapes and seascapes, archaeological sites, animal studies, and portraits. While most of the works were created in the British Isles, others are scenes of Venice, the Ionian Islands, Cape Town, Hong Kong and Japan. [A number of the ‘oriental’ paintings on silk were probably purchased from local artists.] The art works in the book are at various stages of completion and represent a diverse range of artistic skills. What may be the earliest work in the sketchbook is a drawing of three uniformed soldiers. An annotation on the reverse records that the drawing is of a Group of Soldiers after [Philipp Jakob] de Southerbourg 1830. The birth of Louisa Thomas' oldest son, William Henry Houston Meyrick Gipps (1864-1903) in Corfu perhaps explains why a number of scenes and items in the album are of the Ionian Islands. Louisa is probably the creator of a number of still life and botanical studies in the album. These range from floral studies to a bird’s nest. The painting of objects was to remain a socially ‘approved’ specialty of amateur and professional women artists into the 20th century. The complete contents of the album will be uploaded to accompany this record. Some items may be published separately on Victorian Collections, but will acknowledge their origins in the sketchbook.

Historical information

Louisa Thomas married Henry Gipps (1837-91)in 1863. They had six sons and two daughters. While Louisa and Henry Gipps were to die in Sussex, two of their sons, Frederick George De Visme Gipps (1867-1953) and Richard Brook Woodthorpe Gipps (c.1872-1946) migrated to Queensland, possibly bringing with them their mother’s sketchbook.

Significance

The collection of artworks that are included in the sketchbook are often of outstanding aesthetic and artistic significance. In the variety of subject matter and the geographical places represented, it is historically significant as a document recording the postings of Colonel Henry Gipps, 9th Norfolk Regiment, and his wife Louisa to locations in the Mediterranean and West Asia.

Album - Scrapbook / compiled by or for Alick Kirkland Goulburn Gipps, 1930s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Hard cover, 50-page album covered in red cloth and red leather corners and spine, the latter embossed with the words 'SCRAP BOOK' in gilt lettering. On the inside front cover, top left is an oval green label with retailer information - "WEDDING CHRISTENING / R. E. PENN. / Bible Warehouse / 213 REGENT St / BIRTHDAY PRESENTS". The paper used for the pages are in alternating blue, cream and green-coloured sections. The front pages of the scrapbook include the signature of the owner as Alick Kirkland [Goulburn] Gipps (1928-2014). Items pasted into the scrapbook include black and white and coloured illustrations, photographs, and extracts from books. Items selected for the scrapbook fill a single page or are arranged in groups. The oldest items in the scrapbook appear to date from 1859 and include a colour cover of the Illustrated London Almanack and pictorial handbills of electoral results for the seat of Holmesdale and Filmer in Kent, England. While other items in the book are of later periods, most can be classified as sentimental Victorian-era illustrations. The biblical scenes in the scrapbook reflect one aspect of the values of the Gipps family. The focus in the album on material about or published in Great Britain also suggests a preoccupation with, and a valuing of, traditional British culture. This is confirmed by the memberships of Alick and his sister Rosemary (Gipps) Vaughan-Smith in the English-Speaking Union Club, for which they welcomed guests at an 'Elizabethan party and barbecue' during the Coronation festivities of June 1953. (The Age, 3 June 1953, page 5). The album entered the collection of the Kew Historical Society as part of the Raymond and Rosemary (Gipps) Vaughan-Smith donation.

Historical information

Alick Gipps (1928-2014) was the son of Richard Brook Woodthorpe Gipps (1872-1946) and Mary Alys Kirkland (1889-1981), and the older brother of Christopher David Gipps (1930-52) and Rosemary Alison Gipps (1930-2013). While many scrapbooks of the period were created by, and or added to by their child owners, it is believed that "scrapbooks were considered by later Victorian parents to be an educational tool to teach children how to organise and classify information and to develop their ‘artistic’ senses" (Margaret Simpson, MAAS, 2008), and that the scrapbooks may have been compiled by the parent, rather than the child.

Significance

The scrapbook is part of a large and significant collection of items donated by Rosemary Vaughan-Smith, past member and office-bearer of the Kew Historical Society. between 2005-12. The collection includes costumes, scrapbooks, autograph books, artworks and objects.

Archaeological Material - Rusted Horse Shoe, Horse Tramways Shed, High Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Horse shoe excavated from the Kew Recreation Centre site [old Council Depot] in High Street, Kew donated by Mr Poulter, City Engineer, City of Kew. The shoe may have been made for one of the horses that pulled the Kew Horse Tram.

Historical information

The site on which the shoe was discovered has had a number of uses before it was a Council Depot. The site is marked on the old Board of Works map as a Tram Shed.

Archaeological Materials - Inscribed Moreton Bay Fig Leaves, Hawthorn (Vic)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Dried Moreton Bay fig leaves from the vicinity of Palmer's Punt near Denham Street Hawthorn. Each leaf was inscribed by the historian Dorothy Rogers (sic) before 1973. The leaves are brittle and undated, with the text difficult to decipher.

Inscriptions & Markings

1974.0010.1 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Derham St Haw - vicinity Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood & hut for Punt passengers was still there. KH-355." 1974.0010.2 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Denham St haw - vicinity Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood hut for punt passengers still existed there. A canoe tree in garden from Sir J. Palmer's land. KH-355." 1974.0010.3 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Denham St leading to Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood there was still there a hut for punt passengers. Canoe tree in gardens from Sir J. Palmer's land. KH-355."

Architectural Drawing - 'Sir Malcolm D. McEacharn’ / by William Pitt

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

'Sir Malcolm D. McEacharn’, [Architectural drawings]. A set of architectural drawings of additions to Goathland (originally Byram, and later Goathland and Lowan). The drawings, by the architect William Pitt represent additions to the size of Goathland. Pitt had previously worked with the original architect of the house, Edward George Kilburn, of Ellerker & Kilburn, who had designed Byram for the industrialist George Ramsden in 1888. 'Lost Glories: a memorial to forgotten Australian buildings' was published by David Latta in 1986. It tells the story of a number of significant Australian buildings that had previously been demolished. A chapter in the book was devoted to Goathland, later known as Tara Hall. To supplement the text, he sourced photographs from a range of suppliers, chiefly the Royal Women's Hospital which had once owned Tara Hall, but had sold it in 1960. This is one of the photographs donated to KHS by the author.

Architectural Fragments - Chips From Old Law Courts, Russell Street (Melb)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Matchbox containing architectural fragments from the old law courts [Supreme Court] in Russell Street. The matchbox has a label on the front and more detailed information included in a note inside the box. The item is believed to have belonged to the historian Dorothy Rogers.

Historical information

The law court buildings on the corner of Russell and La Trobe Streets (Melbourne) were later to house the Supreme Court of Victoria. The law courts were built in 1842. The inscription by Dorothy Rogers [sic] incorrectly describes the builders as Swanson Bros., who instead were the builders of the later Magistrates Court on the same site.

Inscriptions & Markings

Exterior "Chips from the old law courts Russell St." Inside: "Court House built by Swanson Bros in 1842 of Moorabool Stone & opened 1st time [sic] in 1843. Stone composed of tiny shells".

Architectural Perspective Sketch - City of Kew Municipal Depot, 1984

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Large colour perspective drawing of the new Kew Municipal Depot at 31-35 Hutchinson Street, Kew. The drawing was completed by W.A.D. Brodie in 1984 on behalf of the project consortium. In addition to the projected layout of the depot, the drawing includes details of the consortium drawn together to bid for the project: project managers - McGinley & Partners; consulting engineers - D. G. Hill & Harvey Pty Ltd; and project architects - Dorner Rice Pty Ltd.

Historical information

There have been a number of municipal depots in the former City of Kew (now part of the City of Boroondara). This perspective sketch by Dorner Rice Pty Ltd represents the original design of the depot at 31-35 Hutchinson Drive, on the grounds of the former Kew Mental Hospital. The large perspective drawing by W.A.D. Brodie in 1984 is an important record of the depot as originally designed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Architectural Perspective Sketch : City of Kew Municipal Depot: Perspective sketch : W.A.D. Brodie 1984 : McGinley & Partners Pty Ltd Project Managers : D.G. Hill & Harvey Pty Ltd Project Engineers : Dorner Rice Pty Ltd Project Architects

Architectural Perspective Sketch - Kew Civic Centre, 1970

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Hand-coloured perspective sketch of the new Kew Civic Centre, completed in 1972 to designs by A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall; and located on the corner of Charles Street and Cotham Road, Kew. The sketch represents the front elevation of the building and its relation to the preexisting Kew Civic Hall at right. The three storey building features strong vertical concrete buttresses that extend across the three levels.

Historical information

The Kew Civic Centre (A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall, 1972) was built next to the Kew Civic Hall (C Leith & Bartlett, 1960) on the site of the former mansion Ordsall (later renamed South Esk). Whereas the entrance to the Civic Hall was positioned off Civic Drive, the main entrance to the Civic Centre faced Cotham Road, as shown in the undated perspective drawing of the proposed building. The Civic Hall was used for public functions and performances, while the Civic Centre was used for civic offices. It also contained the Council Chamber. The building opened in 1972, following the relocation of the councillors and council officers from the former Town Hall in Walpole Street (now a Woolworth's supermarket). Following the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the City of Boroondara in 1994, the Civic Centre was sold to Trinity Grammar School. The Civic Hall now houses the Kew Library. The exterior of the Centre has been modified by Trinity Grammar.

Significance

A report for Heritage Victoria (date) describes how two architectural firms dominated the designs for new civic buildings in Victoria during the post war period. The report calims that: "An interesting sub-theme in the erection of post-war municipal offices in Victoria is that a considerable proportion were designed by the same three or four Melbourne-based architectural firms, who established themselves as the leading specialists in this type of work. The two most prolific firms in this regard were A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall, and A C Leith & Bartlett; both, in fact, had made names for themselves as designers of local government offices prior to the Second World War. Lines' office, for example had designed the Eltham Shire Offices in 1941, while Leith's firm had been responsible for the celebrated Heidelberg Town Hall in 1937). Both practices parleyed this early experience into a lucrative post-war career, designing numerous municipals offices well into the 1970s." (Survey of Post-War Built Heritage in Victoria, Built Heritage Pty Ltd, 2010.) The perspective drawing importantly captures the original design and function of the exterior of the building and its public entrance.

Archive File - HUSTON, Betty

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a three page typed monograph by Betty Huston entitled: ‘My early memories of Kew’. In addition to descriptions of houses and family members the document also lists her friends at Ruyton Girls School.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - JUST, Judge Gordon

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about Judge Gordon Judge, after whom the Just Theatre at the Kew Court House was named. The file contains a typed address by Don Just, which refers to the family’s historical connections to Kew. The file also includes a number of copies of the order of his funeral service at Le Pines in 2011 and sundry notes and correspondence.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Karana, Walpole Street [Kew]

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about Karana Aged Care Community, including 2-page typed notes on the history of the facility. Also a query re its history.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - JUDGE, Dr. Cliff

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information on Dr Cliff Judge. The file contains a newspaper obituary from 2002 by Howard Cooper and Astrid Judge.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Kane’s Bridge

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file that contains two newspaper articles with brief information about the history of the bridge.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - HOWARD family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The file contains a single 3-page document donated by Mr A Atkyns containing his research on the Howard family of United Kingdom and Australia. The main point of interest in the file is the references to Frederick William Howard who was an early landowner in Studley Park, in Kew. The file also lists the marriages of Howard children into other families such as the Cussens. The file includes a brief family tree.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Holy Trinity Church [Kew]

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A large archive file containing original primary sources and a range of secondary sources including published and unpublished histories of the church or its parts. The earliest item is a Sunday School Association Certificate issued to Amy Grigg in 1899. Publications by the Church include ‘Holy Trinity Church Kew Jubilee Souvenir 1863-1913’ (1913) [which includes a chronicle of events], ‘Holy Trinity Church Kew 70 Years 1863-1933), ‘Holy Trinity Church Kew Restoration and Continuity of Worship - Stewardship Review’ (1974), ‘Centenary Holy Trinity Church of England Kew’ (1963), ‘150th Anniversary of the First Service in this Building March 5, 1863’ (2013). Other published histories include two copies of: McFarlane, G., Memories in Glass: Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Kew. The file also includes unpublished monographs about the church (Mavis Rolley, 1980). The file also includes various leaflets and orders of service.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - ALLEN, Alva & Frances

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing information about Alva and Frances Allen, including notes taken at a talk to the Society by Mr. Alva Allen (undated) and books published by his wife, Frances Allen (nee Johnston): the autobiographical Eyes in the Back of My Head (1979), and Verses Versatile (1985). Frances Allen was a graduate of Melbourne Kindergarten Teachers College and became the first kindergartner to work in a children’s home (White Hills, Bendigo). She also established the first country kindergarten at Euroa. The undated talk records Alva Allen’s first hand memories of Billy Hughes and Robert Menzies. There is also an unusual reference to Gough Whitlam “living down Stevenson Street way”. Both Alva and Frances were members of the Kew Historical Society.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Alexandra Gardens, Kew (Vic)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing information about the Alexandra Gardens in Cotham Road (Kew) including: collected notes including brief histories by Gwen McWilliam, John Patrick, Dorothy Benyei, and Mavis Rolley. There is also an article on the Garden’s designers, the Pockett Brothers, originally published in 2015 in Australian Garden History. The archive file also includes Council publications, posters (relating to the Mimovich sculptures), correspondence (including photocopies of a letter relating to historic plantings from Jack Higgins) and newspaper articles/clippings. In addition to general historical notes, the file includes specific notes on the Rotunda and on historic trees in the Gardens. The original by-laws of the Gardens, printed on cotton are held separately in the textiles collection.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Andale School (1981-)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a 2-page of the history of the Andale School in Highbury Grove, Kew, by Pam Erwin, physical education teacher at the school. The history records the various locations of the school over time. There are also three folders (undated) of promotional material produced by the school. The file also includes various newspaper articles on the school and its students.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - ALLEN, BIRD & PARKER Families

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information relating to the Allen and Parker families. It includes: A History of the Allen Family by David Allen (1983), correspondence and a newspaper article/clipping relating to a family reunion at Wattle Park (1999). The file provides information about the donor, David S Allen.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Aged Care Facilities (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing information about aged care providers in Kew, including newspaper articles/cuttings, mostly dated, from local newspapers

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Artists II (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The second of two information files on artists in Kew, this file including research and printed copies of a publication by Elizabeth Mackie, ‘The Artists of Kew’ (self-published 1981 - ISBN 0 9594081 0 X). The publication is attached to this record as a PDF file, but it should be noted that copyright is still held by the descendants of the author, but may be used and quoted for research purposes. One of the copies in the file of the publication is an ex-library copy and includes an index. The other unpublished material/research is held in copyright by the Kew Historical Society Inc. The files include descriptions, addresses and or dates relating to artists mentioned in the file. Within the file, there is also detailed correspondence and notes from and relating to Gwen Walker, Marguerete Mahood, Stanley Ballard, and Kathlyn Margaret Ballard. Index - ‘The Artists of Kew’ (Mackie E, 1981): Louis Abrahams, Edith Alsop, William Nichols Anderson, Louis Anquetin, Dorothy Baker, Alice [Marion Emily] Bale, Kaye Ballard, Stan Ballard, George Bell, Leila Bell, Charles Bennett, A Bolam, Shirley Bourne, Arthur Boyd, John Brack, Louis Buvelot, Donald Cameron, Robert Camm, Sir Hugh Casson, S Cochrane, Alexander Colquhoun, Amalie Colquhoun, Archibald D Colquhoun, Beatrice Colquhoun, Elizabeth Colquhoun, George Colville, Charles Conder, Colin Coulihan, Noel Counihan, David Cox, Sir William Dargie, Isobel Davies, Miss De Mole, L Dunn, Frank Emery, Albert Enes, Alma Figuerola, W H Fitchett, Paul Fitzgerald, George Frederick Folingsby, E Phillips Fox, William Frater, John Frith, Miss Fullwood, Alistair Cameron Gray, Harley Griffiths, Gilda Gude, Nornie Gude, Dora Hake, Elsie Bernard Hall, Robert Hannaford, John Hassell, Carl Hempel, Harold Herbert, June Hobart, Kenneth Jack, Jean Jeffery, Cliff Judge, Lois Kahan, William Kearney, Percy Leason, Bastien Le Page, J Lewis, Norman Lindsay, Percy Lindsay, Sir John Longstaff, John Loxton, Arthur Loureiro, Gordon McCrae, Frederick McCubbin, Herchfield Mack, Alan Martin, Karlis Mednis, Max Meldrum, Bertha Merfield, Anne Montgomery, David Moore, Lillian Morrison, Carl Nelson, Sydney Nolan, Ambrose Patterson, Lawrence Scott Pendelbury, John Percival, John Perry, W Pinderson, Marie Pinschoff, John Piper, J Reverdy, Tom Roberts, James Robertson, John Russell, Jan Hendrik Scheltema, Arnold Shore, Joseph Simpson, Joy Stewart, Sir Arthur Streeton, Jane Sutherland, Ruth Sutherland, Evelyn Syme, Eric Thake, Isobel Thorn, Albert Tucker, Tudor St George Tucker, Isobel Tweddle. Other artists noted in file include: Marguerete Mahood, Leopoldine Mimovich, Julius Wentscher, Tina Wentscher, Sigismonde Zacutti, Napier Waller, Percy Gair, Stuart Warmington, Len Annois, Margaret Baskerville, Clara Southern, Andre Maszaros, Michael Maszaros, Walter Withers, Edith Ussher, Arthur Wills, Douglas Annand, and Gwen Walker.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Artists I (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file including a collection, largely compiled of newspaper articles/cuttings, relating to artists born or practising in Kew. In addition to the cuttings, there is a catalogue of an exhibition at the Town Hall Gallery - Louis Kahan: Art, theatre and fashion (curated by Laura Jokic, 2016), and biographical entries from various publications including the ADB. There is also an invitation (undated) from the Mayor of Kew, Cr. Kaye Cole, to an exhibition of paintings by Gwen Walker and Donald Cameron in the Mayor’s Room. Alice Marion Ellen Bale (1875-1955), Arthur Loureiro (1860-1932), Frances Derham, Eugenia Meldrum, Max Meldrum, Louis Buvelot, Kitchen Dimensions High Street Kew, Ron Walker, Melissa Peacock, Isobel Davies 6 A'Beckett Street, Hertha Kluge-Pott, Debra Luccio, Elise Martinson, Carole Milton, Louise Minahan, Miranda Millane, Sonja Kan, Holly Walton, Q Art Gallery, Archibald Colquhoun, Amalie Colquhoun, John Perry, Pamela Pretty, Christopher Shelton, Amanda Tuohy, Margot Westhorpe, Ian Wood, James O’Brien, Gaby Jung, Rupert Gray, Ray Gee - 3 Fernhurst Grove, Louis Foletta, Thomas King (Tim) Fitchett, Wendy Fantasia, Marion Cravino, Brett Coelho, Eileen Cambell, Helen Carnage, Erin Carnage, John Bates, Nina Bennett, Donald Cameron, Gwen Walker

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BARNARD Family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Members of the Barnard Family were significant and notable pioneers of Kew. Francis Barnard established the first Kew Post Office and also a pharmacy. The post office was on the corner of Cotham Road and High Street. It later moved to another location in High Street. His son, F G A Barnard wrote the ‘Jubilee History of Kew, Victoria’ (1910). [An index to the publication is in the file]. Both Barnards were mayors of Kew. The extensive file of information includes some primary sources and a number of photocopies of secondary sources. The primary sources include two letters, the first from F G A Barnard dated 29-9-10, to W Derrick Esq, Cambooya requesting information on early settlement in Kew, and a handwritten reply from W Derrick recalling this period. Another primary source [laminated] relates to The Intermediate Examination conducted by the Pharmacy Board of Victoria (1917). The Kew Historical Society has many items relating to the Barnard family in its collection. One is the wall clock, which was donated by a Mrs McArthur of North Balwyn in 1973. The correspondence relating to its acquisition, and an article written by Mavis Rolley is in the file. While the collection includes an original copy of ‘Bear and Forbear: A genealogical study of the Prentice, Barnard and related families in Great Britain, Ireland and Australia’ (Prentice, Sydney & Mildred, 1985) in its library, a photocopy of parts are included in the file, with a number of letters from Mildred Prentice. The Society also has a number of bottles etc., from the pharmacy, which were donated by Kathleen Murphy of Surrey Hills. There are also various copies of birth certificates, biographies etc.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Barkers Road (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file with multiple items of research relating to the history of Barkers Road, previously Barkers Track (sic) including: 2 copies of ‘Barkers Track: Recollections of the Hawthorn Kew Boundary’ (Typescript, Mervyn Chinner, undated, 4pp), ‘The Boroondara Family Hotel’ (Photocopied typescript, 1987, 10pp), ‘Barkers Road (Gwen McWilliam, 1976), a photocopy of an ADB entry on BARKER, Edward (1816-1885). The file also includes a typed letter to Mrs Dickins from Cr WHS Dickinson (1953) relating to the state of Barkers Road and sundry newspaper clippings/articles.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Barnard Grove (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing responses to a survey of residents of Barnard Grove, Kew (Vic), issued in 1985. The questionnaire requested information about when the respondee/s moved into the street, whether alterations had been made to their house, the reason why they moved to Barnard Grove, its good points and its limitations, and further comments. Rosemary Smart and Dorothy Benyei conducted the survey on behalf of the Society. The file contains many interesting responses from those who returned the surveys.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Blytheswood, Studley Park (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Blythswood was a former mansion in Kew, built in the 1850s and later becoming the home of the newspaper magnate, David Syme. The file contains detailed histories and a large number of annotated photocopied photographs of the house and garden. Most of the items were compiled and donated by Veronica Coudou, a descendant of the Syme family. The main 10-page [copyrighted] manuscript by Coudou covers the period 1863-1908 and describes the buildings, gardens and the owners. These items are undated. Also in the file is a 15-page printout of a website on the mansion, accessed 2013.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Billabong - Willsmere Park (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Newspaper articles/clippings relating to the desire to save the Billabong at Willsmere Park in Kew. The file includes articles with a more general focus relating to bike paths and Willsmere Park generally.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Bicycles (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Single item file - a newspaper article published in The Age Weekender in 1978 by Tim Colebatch entitled ‘Turn The Wheel Back A Century’. There is no mention of Kew in the article.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - HAYLES, John, Kate & Jean

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a newspaper article/clipping entitled ‘Jean’s passion for perfume bottles’ (Brewster, R, The Age, 6 May 2006) which refers to her parents owning an antique store in Kew Junction known as ‘John Hayles’. The article is about the sale of items from her collection.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - HALFEY, John

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small file on John Halfey, the second Chairman of Kew, comprised of draft undated correspondence from the then Secretary of the Society, Ms. Evelyn West, seeking information on John Halfey. The file also comprises a typed copy of the notice of his death from The Herald, January 4 1889, and a page of research notes on Halfey. These documents date from the 1960s. <q.v. Carnegie, David> <q.v. Ordsall>

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.