Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest suburban historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society cooperates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

Fridays & Saturdays 11.00am to 1.00pm. Closed in January.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', [email protected], 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2721 items

Album - Victorian Sketchbook / by Louisa Goulburn Thomas [et al], 1862

Key words

victorian sketchbooks
manuscripts - kew historical society
9th norfolk regiment
rosemary (gipps) vaughan smith
vaughan-smith collection

The large bound sketchbook has a marbled cover with blue binding. The name Louisa Goulburn Thomas and the date 1862 are faintly inscribed in pencil on the front page. However the book contains pen and ink and pencil drawings, watercolours, and photographs, which both predate and postdate 1862. The approximately 75 works are loose-leafed items and [currently] do not form a chronological, geographical or thematic sequence. Creators identified on some drawings and watercolours include Mary Julia Wilder Thomas, JFV Wright, ELG (Edward Louis de Bondell Gipps?), L Nicholson, Bertha Isadore Thomas, and HG (Henry Gipps?). Many of the works are signed and dated, and include rural landscapes and seascapes, archaeological sites, animal studies, and portraits. While most of the works were created in the British Isles, others are scenes of Venice, the Ionian Islands, Cape Town, Hong Kong and Japan. [A number of the ‘oriental’ paintings on silk were probably purchased from local artists.] The art works in the book are at various stages of completion and represent a diverse range of artistic skills. What may be the earliest work in the sketchbook is a drawing of three uniformed soldiers. An annotation on the reverse records that the drawing is of a Group of Soldiers after [Philipp Jakob] de Southerbourg 1830. The birth of Louisa Thomas' oldest son, William Henry Houston Meyrick Gipps (1864-1903) in Corfu perhaps explains why a number of scenes and items in the album are of the Ionian Islands. Louisa is probably the creator of a number of still life and botanical studies in the album. These range from floral studies to a bird’s nest. The painting of objects was to remain a socially ‘approved’ specialty of amateur and professional women artists into the 20th century. The complete contents of the album will be uploaded to accompany this record. Some items may be published separately on Victorian Collections, but will acknowledge their origins in the sketchbook.

Historical information

Louisa Thomas married Henry Gipps (1837-91)in 1863. They had six sons and two daughters. While Louisa and Henry Gipps were to die in Sussex, two of their sons, Frederick George De Visme Gipps (1867-1953) and Richard Brook Woodthorpe Gipps (c.1872-1946) migrated to Queensland, possibly bringing with them their mother’s sketchbook.

Significance

The collection of artworks that are included in the sketchbook are often of outstanding aesthetic and artistic significance. In the variety of subject matter and the geographical places represented, it is historically significant as a document recording the postings of Colonel Henry Gipps, 9th Norfolk Regiment, and his wife Louisa to locations in the Mediterranean and West Asia.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Album - Scrapbook / compiled by or for Alick Kirkland Goulburn Gipps, 1930s

Key words

manuscripts - kew historical society
rosemary vaughan-smith
vaughan-smith collection
alick kirkland goulburn gipps
scrapbooks - 20th century

Hard cover, 50-page album covered in red cloth and red leather corners and spine, the latter embossed with the words 'SCRAP BOOK' in gilt lettering. On the inside front cover, top left is an oval green label with retailer information - "WEDDING CHRISTENING / R. E. PENN. / Bible Warehouse / 213 REGENT St / BIRTHDAY PRESENTS". The paper used for the pages are in alternating blue, cream and green-coloured sections. The front pages of the scrapbook include the signature of the owner as Alick Kirkland [Goulburn] Gipps (1928-2014). Items pasted into the scrapbook include black and white and coloured illustrations, photographs, and extracts from books. Items selected for the scrapbook fill a single page or are arranged in groups. The oldest items in the scrapbook appear to date from 1859 and include a colour cover of the Illustrated London Almanack and pictorial handbills of electoral results for the seat of Holmesdale and Filmer in Kent, England. While other items in the book are of later periods, most can be classified as sentimental Victorian-era illustrations. The biblical scenes in the scrapbook reflect one aspect of the values of the Gipps family. The focus in the album on material about or published in Great Britain also suggests a preoccupation with, and a valuing of, traditional British culture. This is confirmed by the memberships of Alick and his sister Rosemary (Gipps) Vaughan-Smith in the English-Speaking Union Club, for which they welcomed guests at an 'Elizabethan party and barbecue' during the Coronation festivities of June 1953. (The Age, 3 June 1953, page 5). The album entered the collection of the Kew Historical Society as part of the Raymond and Rosemary (Gipps) Vaughan-Smith donation.

Historical information

Alick Gipps (1928-2014) was the son of Richard Brook Woodthorpe Gipps (1872-1946) and Mary Alys Kirkland (1889-1981), and the older brother of Christopher David Gipps (1930-52) and Rosemary Alison Gipps (1930-2013). While many scrapbooks of the period were created by, and or added to by their child owners, it is believed that "scrapbooks were considered by later Victorian parents to be an educational tool to teach children how to organise and classify information and to develop their ‘artistic’ senses" (Margaret Simpson, MAAS, 2008), and that the scrapbooks may have been compiled by the parent, rather than the child.

Significance

The scrapbook is part of a large and significant collection of items donated by Rosemary Vaughan-Smith, past member and office-bearer of the Kew Historical Society. between 2005-12. The collection includes costumes, scrapbooks, autograph books, artworks and objects.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archaeological Material - Rusted Horse Shoe, Horse Tramways Shed, High Street (Kew)

Key words

horse tram - kew (vic)
archaeological items - kew (vic)
horse shoes
kew recreation centre
council depots - kew (vic)
tram sheds - kew (vic)

Horse shoe excavated from the Kew Recreation Centre site [old Council Depot] in High Street, Kew donated by Mr Poulter, City Engineer, City of Kew. The shoe may have been made for one of the horses that pulled the Kew Horse Tram.

Historical information

The site on which the shoe was discovered has had a number of uses before it was a Council Depot. The site is marked on the old Board of Works map as a Tram Shed.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archaeological Materials - Inscribed Moreton Bay Fig Leaves, Hawthorn (Vic)

Key words

denham street - hawthorn (vic)
palmer's punt
invergowrie - hawthorn
1934 flood - melbourne - hawthorn (vic)

Dried Moreton Bay fig leaves from the vicinity of Palmer's Punt near Denham Street Hawthorn. Each leaf was inscribed by the historian Dorothy Rogers (sic) before 1973. The leaves are brittle and undated, with the text difficult to decipher.

Inscriptions & Markings

1974.0010.1 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Derham St Haw - vicinity Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood & hut for Punt passengers was still there. KH-355." 1974.0010.2 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Denham St haw - vicinity Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood hut for punt passengers still existed there. A canoe tree in garden from Sir J. Palmer's land. KH-355." 1974.0010.3 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Denham St leading to Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood there was still there a hut for punt passengers. Canoe tree in gardens from Sir J. Palmer's land. KH-355."

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Architectural Drawing - 'Sir Malcolm D. McEacharn’ / by William Pitt

Key words

william pitt
byram, goathland, tara hall, lowan, studley park (kew), george ramsden, sir malcolm mceacharn, edward george kilburn (architect), studley park road (kew)

'Sir Malcolm D. McEacharn’, [Architectural drawings]. A set of architectural drawings of additions to Goathland (originally Byram, and later Goathland and Lowan). The drawings, by the architect William Pitt represent additions to the size of Goathland. Pitt had previously worked with the original architect of the house, Edward George Kilburn, of Ellerker & Kilburn, who had designed Byram for the industrialist George Ramsden in 1888. 'Lost Glories: a memorial to forgotten Australian buildings' was published by David Latta in 1986. It tells the story of a number of significant Australian buildings that had previously been demolished. A chapter in the book was devoted to Goathland, later known as Tara Hall. To supplement the text, he sourced photographs from a range of suppliers, chiefly the Royal Women's Hospital which had once owned Tara Hall, but had sold it in 1960. This is one of the photographs donated to KHS by the author.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Architectural Fragments - Chips From Old Law Courts, Russell Street (Melb)

Key words

dorothy rogers collection
supreme court - melbourne (vic)
supreme court of victoria - russell street - melbourne (vic)

Matchbox containing architectural fragments from the old law courts [Supreme Court] in Russell Street. The matchbox has a label on the front and more detailed information included in a note inside the box. The item is believed to have belonged to the historian Dorothy Rogers.

Historical information

The law court buildings on the corner of Russell and La Trobe Streets (Melbourne) were later to house the Supreme Court of Victoria. The law courts were built in 1842. The inscription by Dorothy Rogers [sic] incorrectly describes the builders as Swanson Bros., who instead were the builders of the later Magistrates Court on the same site.

Inscriptions & Markings

Exterior "Chips from the old law courts Russell St." Inside: "Court House built by Swanson Bros in 1842 of Moorabool Stone & opened 1st time [sic] in 1843. Stone composed of tiny shells".

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Architectural Perspective Sketch - City of Kew Municipal Depot, 1984

Key words

city of kew (vic) - municipal depot
w.a.d. brodie
mcginley & partners pty ltd
d. g. hill & harvey pty ltd
dorner rice pty ltd

Large colour perspective drawing of the new Kew Municipal Depot at 31-35 Hutchinson Street, Kew. The drawing was completed by W.A.D. Brodie in 1984 on behalf of the project consortium. In addition to the projected layout of the depot, the drawing includes details of the consortium drawn together to bid for the project: project managers - McGinley & Partners; consulting engineers - D. G. Hill & Harvey Pty Ltd; and project architects - Dorner Rice Pty Ltd.

Historical information

There have been a number of municipal depots in the former City of Kew (now part of the City of Boroondara). This perspective sketch by Dorner Rice Pty Ltd represents the original design of the depot at 31-35 Hutchinson Drive, on the grounds of the former Kew Mental Hospital. The large perspective drawing by W.A.D. Brodie in 1984 is an important record of the depot as originally designed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Architectural Perspective Sketch : City of Kew Municipal Depot: Perspective sketch : W.A.D. Brodie 1984 : McGinley & Partners Pty Ltd Project Managers : D.G. Hill & Harvey Pty Ltd Project Engineers : Dorner Rice Pty Ltd Project Architects

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Architectural Perspective Sketch - Kew Civic Centre, 1970

Key words

kew civic centre
a.k. lines, macfarlane & marshall

Hand-coloured perspective sketch of the new Kew Civic Centre, completed in 1972 to designs by A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall; and located on the corner of Charles Street and Cotham Road, Kew. The sketch represents the front elevation of the building and its relation to the preexisting Kew Civic Hall at right. The three storey building features strong vertical concrete buttresses that extend across the three levels.

Historical information

The Kew Civic Centre (A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall, 1972) was built next to the Kew Civic Hall (C Leith & Bartlett, 1960) on the site of the former mansion Ordsall (later renamed South Esk). Whereas the entrance to the Civic Hall was positioned off Civic Drive, the main entrance to the Civic Centre faced Cotham Road, as shown in the undated perspective drawing of the proposed building. The Civic Hall was used for public functions and performances, while the Civic Centre was used for civic offices. It also contained the Council Chamber. The building opened in 1972, following the relocation of the councillors and council officers from the former Town Hall in Walpole Street (now a Woolworth's supermarket). Following the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the City of Boroondara in 1994, the Civic Centre was sold to Trinity Grammar School. The Civic Hall now houses the Kew Library. The exterior of the Centre has been modified by Trinity Grammar.

Significance

A report for Heritage Victoria (date) describes how two architectural firms dominated the designs for new civic buildings in Victoria during the post war period. The report calims that: "An interesting sub-theme in the erection of post-war municipal offices in Victoria is that a considerable proportion were designed by the same three or four Melbourne-based architectural firms, who established themselves as the leading specialists in this type of work. The two most prolific firms in this regard were A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall, and A C Leith & Bartlett; both, in fact, had made names for themselves as designers of local government offices prior to the Second World War. Lines' office, for example had designed the Eltham Shire Offices in 1941, while Leith's firm had been responsible for the celebrated Heidelberg Town Hall in 1937). Both practices parleyed this early experience into a lucrative post-war career, designing numerous municipals offices well into the 1970s." (Survey of Post-War Built Heritage in Victoria, Built Heritage Pty Ltd, 2010.) The perspective drawing importantly captures the original design and function of the exterior of the building and its public entrance.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - HUSTON, Betty

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
kew historical society - members
ruyton girls school - former students
sands & mcdougall pty ltd
sackville guest house
20 wimba avenue - kew (vic)
heather menzies
joan wardrop
olive hay-zakharov
valda vaughan
carr’s motor service
17 alfred street - kew (vic)
fay pearce
faye marles
st hilary’s - kew (vic)
r vernon francis
st hilary’s choir - kew (vic)
volunteer defence corps - kew east (vic)

Archive file containing a three page typed monograph by Betty Huston entitled: ‘My early memories of Kew’. In addition to descriptions of houses and family members the document also lists her friends at Ruyton Girls School.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - KENT-HUGHES, Sir Wilfrid

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
wilfred kent-hughes
members of parliament - kew (vic)
australian politicians - kew (vic)
liberal party - kew - victoria - australia

Archive file containing sundry newspaper articles dating from as early as 1923 relating to Wilfred Kent Hughes as well as items relating to his death and funeral. The latter examples of printed ephemera were customised to include messages from Edith Kent Hughes. The file includes correspondence between the Historical Society and Kent Hughes, some on parliamentary and Yarra Bend Park letterhead. The file includes a copy of the State Funeral Order of Service (1970).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - JUST, Judge Gordon

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
hermann just
olive judge,
carl judge
bowen street - kew (vic)
richard tyas
green acres golf club
betty judge
gordon just
trinity grammar school
just theatre - kew court house
judge gordon just

Archive file containing information about Judge Gordon Judge, after whom the Just Theatre at the Kew Court House was named. The file contains a typed address by Don Just, which refers to the family’s historical connections to Kew. The file also includes a number of copies of the order of his funeral service at Le Pines in 2011 and sundry notes and correspondence.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - KEMP, Henry H

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
architects - victoria - henry kemp
henry h kemp
heald lawn - 5 adeney avenue - kew (vic)

Archive file containing historical notes on the architect Henry H. Kemp, summarised from a discussion with Mary Kemp, as well as a photocopy of a newspaper article on 7 Adeney Avenue, and a photocopy of Historic Environment Vol.2, No.2, 1882, containing an article by George Tibbits on “The So-Called Melbourne Domestic Queen Anne". The file includes an original business card used to send a greeting by Henry H Kemp, Heald Lawn East Kew, donated by Mr & Mrs Jean Dyke, 1981.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Karana, Walpole Street [Kew]

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
karana - walpole street - kew (vic)
aged care facilities - kew (vic)
ruth wilkins

Archive file containing information about Karana Aged Care Community, including 2-page typed notes on the history of the facility. Also a query re its history.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - KELLETT, Henry de Castres

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
kellet, henry de castres
mayors of kew (vic)

Archive file containing correspondence from 2014 regarding Cr Henry de Castres Kellett. The main Kellett file is housed in the archive in cabinet 01.08.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - KERR, William Warren

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
william warren kerr
mayors of kew - william warren kerr
trenant - belmont avenue - kew (vic)

Archive file containing a 1-page summary of information on William Warren Kerr, compiled by his grandson Robert.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - JUDGE, Dr. Cliff

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
dr cliff judge
kew cottages - victoria
psychiatrists - victoria

Archive file containing information on Dr Cliff Judge. The file contains a newspaper obituary from 2002 by Howard Cooper and Astrid Judge.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kane’s Bridge

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
kane's bridge - studley park - yarra bend park

Archive file that contains two newspaper articles with brief information about the history of the bridge.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew Bowling Club

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
sports - lawn bowls - kew (vic)
kew bowling club - wellington street - kew (vic)

Archive file on the former Kew Bowling Club, founded in 1880 and amalgamated with the Auburn Height Bowling Club in 1998. The Club was located behind the Kew Recreation Hall at 12-16 Wellington Street, Kew. The file contains both primary and secondary sources. Primary sources include twelve annual reports (1984-85 to 1988-89; 1990-1 to 1996-87); sundry copies of the Club’s newsletter - ‘Kew View’ from the period 1980-95; magazines celebrating the inaugural and second annual ‘Kew Cup’ (1992-93); ephemera such as the programs for the Centenary Dinner (1980); the Club’s Constitution (1987); and research notes and newspaper articles/clippings. The file also includes two copies of the Club’s history. A number of documents relate to the proposed sale of the land by Boroondara Council in 2001

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew Association

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
kew association - kew (vic)
community groups - kew (vic)
heritage - kew (vic)

Archive file on ‘The Kew Association’ formed in 1974 as a separate group to the Kew Historical Society. Its constitution, which is filed, is general in nature. One part of the Association’s interests was the formation of a Historical Working Group to ‘examine historic buildings and other aspects of Kew’s history’. A founding member of the Society, Joy Stewart, was its convenor. By June 1974 it had 133 members. It differed from the Society in that it specifically aimed to improve Council services. One of its achievements was to begin a ‘historical home survey’ by street. The survey documents in the file list street name, number of house, side of street, size of house and general observations. Other information in the archive file includes correspondence, agendas, minutes etc. of the Association. As these only cover the years 1974-5, this may have been the period in which the group operated.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew Arts Association

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
performing arts - kew (vic)
visual arts - kew (vic)
kew arts festivals - 1947

The main item in this archive file is an original copy of the Kew Arts Festival Program for 1947. [Additional copies and programmes from other years are stored in the Performing Arts archive box.] The programme contains two pages of typed notes, which were used at the opening of the Festival by Cr Vaughan (sic). The program lists English Watercolours on loan from the National Gallery of Victoria, details of recitals, ballets, theatre and music. The event was held in the Kew Recreation Centre. Major performers listed in the program include Raymond Lambert, the Tin Alley Players, Margaret Sutherland, and the Melbourne Little Theatre.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew Advertiser

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
newspapers - kew (vic)
newspapers - kew advertiser
edward frederick goodall hodges (1865-1935)
ralph ernest augustus hodges (1868-1942)
ralph morwell thomas (1896-1957)

Archive file containing photocopied information on Ralph Morwell Thomas (1896-1957), Ralph Ernest Augustus Hodges (1868-1942), Edward Frederick Goodall Hodges (1865-1935) from an unidentified source.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew Bands

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
performing arts - kew (vic)
kew band
music - bands - kew (vic)
kew youth band (1989-)
kew citizen’s band

There have been a number of Bands in Kew’s history. The archive file contains three newspaper articles/files on the Kew Citizen’s Band, the Kew Youth Band (1989-) and the Kew Band. Other references to bands and their histories are included in published local histories.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew 125th Anniversary

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
commemorations - kew (vic)
anniversaries - kew (vic)

Archive file containing multiple copies of souvenir editions of newspapers commemorating Kew’s 125th anniversary.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew, Centenary of ~ 1960

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
centenary of the city of kew (vic) 1960
centenary of kew - events
centenary of kew -special council meeting
dorothy rogers

In 1960, the City of Kew celebrated its centenary. It had been constituted a separate muniviplaity in 1860 following its separation from the Kew Roads Board. The Kew Historical Society had been founded in 1958 to assist in the celebration of the anniversary. The Society’s main contribution was to author a 24-page booklet on Kew’s history. The archive file contains a copy of the book and a later separate index of its contents. Various copies of the book record their donor’s names - Margaret Bertuch (2005), Mr Keith Hobson (2007), Betty Huston. The file also contains a detailed three-page signed manuscript/typescript by Dorothy Rogers, noting her ‘Impressions of Functions During the Centenary, Kew, 13th to 18th December 1961’. The commentary lists all formal events during this period, including performances. Also in the file is an original copy of the order of business of the Committee of the Whole Council (23 Apr 1960), copies of centenary editions of newspapers (The Outer Circle Mirror 13 Dec 1960; The Free Press 18 Dec 1960 - donated by Margaret Bertuch)

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew, City of ~ Amalgamation, 1994

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
local government - amalgamations - kew (vic) - boroondara (vic)

The City of Kew was amalgamated into the City of Boroondara in 1994. The new city comprised the former Cities of Hawthorn, Kew and Camberwell. This archive file contains primary sources and publications relating to the amalgamation. The earliest item in the file is a newspaper article/clipping from the Eastern Standard (1986) recording a request from Hawthorn Council to Kew Council to consider amalgamating. The file also includes other newspaper articles/cuttings (some undated) reporting on opposition to the amalgamation. An interesting item in the file is a photocopy of a coloured digital photograph of the members of the last Kew Council. [The original still has to be discovered]. The file also contains a commemorative edition of Kewriosity [magazine] (1994), which lists all the chairmen and mayors of Kew (1861-1994) and three copies of the City of Kew Final Commemorative Council Meetingb14 June 1994.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - HOWARD family

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
charles howard (1796-?)
ship - sir godfrey webster
ship - james watt
howardville - preston (vic)
elizabeth bennett
sarah pierce (?-1877)
patrick e cussen
charles james howard
helen mcpherson
frederick william howard
kate alsop
amelia howard
rowland macarthur
edward cussen ormond howard
margaret alsop
anne howard
john alsop
emma sarah howard
edward augustus atkyns

The file contains a single 3-page document donated by Mr A Atkyns containing his research on the Howard family of United Kingdom and Australia. The main point of interest in the file is the references to Frederick William Howard who was an early landowner in Studley Park, in Kew. The file also lists the marriages of Howard children into other families such as the Cussens. The file includes a brief family tree.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew, Borough of ~ 1863-1911

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
borough of kew
streets - kew (vic)
rates - kew (vic)
street names - kew (vic)
roads - kew (vic)
drains - kew (vic)
public health - kew (vic)
inspector of nuisances - kew (vic)

Kew was designated a borough in 1863 and remained so until declared a Town in 1911. The file contains copies of a research report by Andrew Frost on the work of Kew Council in this period in relation to the maintenance of streets.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew, City of ~ Directories

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
local government - kew (vic) - publications
community directories - kew (vic)

TBC

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Kew Court House ~ 2000-2005

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
kew court house
kew police station
heritage campaigns - kew (vic)

Archive file containing information about the heritage significance of the Kew Court House (and Police Station) in High Street, Kew. Most of the file contains correspondence between a number of interested parties including the Kew Historical Society which was leading the campaign to have the building/precinct preserved and used for community purposes. Letters and submissions include those from the Department of Treasury & Finance, Ray Tonkin (Heritage Victoria), Dr. Robert Dean MLA, Judith Voce, Hon David Davis MLC, John Lenders MP, Hon John Thwaites, Andrew McIntosh MLA and officers of the Kew Historical Society. The file also contains records of interview and memos and meeting minutes relating to the campaign.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Significance

The campaign to preserve and redevelop the Kew Court House and Police Station began when the Victorian Government announced its intention to sell the properties comprising this heritage precinct. The Kew Historical Society mounted a community campaign to raise funds from the community for its preservation, with the support of the City of Boroondara. The funds raised by the Society were $500,000, which contributed to the buildings purchase and restoration. The community campaign was an exemplary example of heritage in action. The Society holds the complete documentation of this heritage campaign.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Archive File - Holy Trinity Church [Kew]

Key words

kew historical society - archives
kew - history
holy trinity church - kew (vic)
high street - kew (vic)
rev rowland hayward
very rev dean vance dd
archdeacon hindley bd
rev canon sutton bd
sir william stawell
charles barrett
rev f a townshend
trinity grammar school
ruyton girls school
rev gordon brown
most rev philip freier
ferguson & urie
stained glass - kew (vic)
amy grigg

A large archive file containing original primary sources and a range of secondary sources including published and unpublished histories of the church or its parts. The earliest item is a Sunday School Association Certificate issued to Amy Grigg in 1899. Publications by the Church include ‘Holy Trinity Church Kew Jubilee Souvenir 1863-1913’ (1913) [which includes a chronicle of events], ‘Holy Trinity Church Kew 70 Years 1863-1933), ‘Holy Trinity Church Kew Restoration and Continuity of Worship - Stewardship Review’ (1974), ‘Centenary Holy Trinity Church of England Kew’ (1963), ‘150th Anniversary of the First Service in this Building March 5, 1863’ (2013). Other published histories include two copies of: McFarlane, G., Memories in Glass: Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Kew. The file also includes unpublished monographs about the church (Mavis Rolley, 1980). The file also includes various leaflets and orders of service.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew