Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest suburban historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society cooperates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

Fridays & Saturdays 11.00am to 1.00pm. Closed in January.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', History@Work, 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2469 items

Programme - Kew Arts Festival 1945

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

11 page souvenir program for the Kew Arts Festival, held in the Recreation Hall, Wellington Street, Kew from the 9th to the 19th August 1945. The content of the program can be viewed through the image carousel.

Historical information

The Herald on 10 August described the Festival offerings as: "Varied 10-Day Programme For Kew Arts Festival Opened last night, the Kew Arts Festival in the Recreation Hall, Wellington Street, provides an interesting and varied programme for the next 10 days. Today at 8.15 p.m. Mr George Bell and Mr Colin Badger will have a public discussion on "What Is Modern Art?" The Vice-chancellor of the Melbourne University of Melbourne (Mr JDG Medley) will preside. Tomorrow at 10.30 a.m. Junior students of the Methodist Ladies College, directed by Dorothy Dwyer. will show how they learn to speak and move on the stage, and will present three short plays. Tomorrow night Elise Steele and Violet Ewart (violin and piano) Beryl Batten (songs) and Edith Parnell (accompanist) will give a concert. Paintings and other works of art will be on show from 2.30 to 5.30 p.m. on Sunday. On Monday night. Mr Colin Badger will speak on "Dead Wood and Green Shoot: Australian Literature Today" and on Tuesday night there will be "Ballet in Story and Action"— the story told by Norman Macgeorge, with Joan Burnett as ballerina and Fred Manners-Sutton at the piano. Wednesday night will have an illustrated lecture "Contemporary Art Education." by John Bechervaise. Remaining nights will be taken up with a performance of Somerset Maugham's "The Circle" presented by the Little Theatre, a youth concert, and another concert with songs and piano. On Saturday morning, August 18, there will be a special concert for young people. The festival will end on Sunday week with a chamber music programme in the afternoon."

Photographs - Cr Phyllis Hore, Mayor of Kew 1985-1986

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two colour 'proofs' of mayoral photos of Cr Phyllis Hore, donated by her daughter in 2019

Photographs - Former Baptist Church, Woodlands Avenue, Kew East, 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Three colour photographs of the former Baptist Church in Woodlands Avenue, Kew East. The photographs are of the front and side of the building. One of the photographs shows the foundation stone, laid by AH Lewis Esq, 8 August 1931.

Photographs - Five Photographs of Kew in the 1960s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Five black and white photographs of Kew in the 1960s donated by Kerstin Fraser. The photographs include 3 pictures of the Mayor of Kew, Leo Hawkins at the Kew Baths and two photographs of the Carmelite Monastery in Stevenson Street, Kew.

Costume - Ball Gown, Cerise Silk & Velvet, circa 1905

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two-piece dress comprised of a bodice and floor length skirt made of a soft, lightweight cerise coloured silk fabric. The top features a v-shaped rear neck. A wide velvet cummerbund is part of the outfit. Dated to 1905-07.

Historical information

The gown is believed t have been donated by the Smart family of Turinville

Costume - Ball Gown, Purple Silk with Guipure Lace, c.1900

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Shot silk purple ball gown, featuring a fitted silk bodice with puff sleeves and a broad full-length skirt. The dress has coloured guipure lace at the neck and the cuffs, which has been identified ac being of the period. The brush braid on the hem has probably been replaced at a later date. Dated to 1899-1900.

Historical information

Joseph Butterworth COOMBS (1842-1901), was an accountant who founded a successful mercantile trading company. At the time of his marriage to Caroline Mary MICHEL in 1969, Coombs had already purchased 10 acres of Studley Park. The acreage included land on the west of Fenwick Street that extended along lower Stawell Street to the corner of Yarra Street, all of it connected directly to the Yarra environs. A right of way to Studley Park Road was on the title, though Coombs went on to purchase more land, some of which faced Studley Park Road. In addition to owning the Studley Park acreage, Coombs later acquired 1,201 acres of land abutting the Acheron River. While retaining the Kew property he became a Taggerty Councillor and was Shire President for a time. J.B. Coombs died at Acheron Station in 1901 (aged 59 years). A few months after, tenders were called to repair the Kew dwelling, the Fenwick Street property now appearing in records with the name ‘Hope Mansell’. Caroline Coombs remained at Hope Mansell until she died in 1924, survived by three sons and five daughters. Not long after her death, advertisements appeared for the sale of the Studley Park land. The sale seems to have been a mechanism for distribution of the Estate, as the following year the original 10 acre holding was transferred to members of the family. The eldest daughter Mabel married William Younger who, with his brother Alexander, developed Younger and Mackie Courts, both south of Studley Park Road. [Research: Kerry Fairbank]

Significance

In 1961, the granddaughter of Joseph and Caroline Coombs, Mabel Isola (Younger) Grattan, donated ten 19th century dresses and parasols to the Kew Historical Society. The costumes, now known as the 'Coombs Collection', are the earliest recorded items of clothing to enter the Society's collection. Each of the items in the Coombs Collection, of which this item forms a part, is historically, aesthetically and socially significant. As a collection, the costumes includes outstanding examples of morning wear, day dresses, wedding dresses, and clothing accessories, providing evidence of outstanding dressmaker skills in Victoria during the mid to late Victorian period.

Souvenir - Lapel Pin, Melbourne 150, 1985

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A lapel pin in the shape of the coat of arms of the City of Melbourne with Melbourne 150 below

Historical information

Melbourne 150

Inscriptions & Markings

Melbourne 150 (front) Pinstop 869 9390 (reverse)

Souvenir - Spoon, Kew City Bowmen

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

An enamelled badge with a flapping bird above a circular target of white black blue and red concentric circles with a brass bow superimposed on it and enclosed by Kew City Bowmen with two crossed arrows below, on a violet blue background mounted on the handle of a spoon

Inscriptions & Markings

Kew City Bowmen (front) Pitcher epns A1 (reverse)

Collection - Helen Bushell

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Australian Kite Society, Helen Bushell collection of kite-related material, including kites, photographs, documents, badges, etc.

Historical information

Kites created by Helen Bushell, Kew resident for many years, and a pioneer of kite-flying world-wide. Kites are hand-made, mainly by Helen, and many were flown in local parks of Kew. Documents provide some background to the collection, and a set of photographs, which was used in an exhibition at Hawthorn Arts Centre, help to identify the kites and where they were flown.

Significance

Kites and associated documents belonging to Helen Bushell have local significance for Kew, as many were flown in the area. They have artistic significance in their representation of Australian indigenous, Chinese, New Guinea and other cultural symbols. Among the documents are poems, books on kite-flying written by Helen Bushell, badges and cards from international conferences, and Australian, British and American patents for kite design. One kite shows an aerodynamically-designed keel which helped to improve safety for hang-gliders.

Souvenir - Butter Knife, Kew City Bowmen

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

An enamelled badge with a flapping bird above a circular target of white black blue and red concentric circles with a brass bow superimposed on it and enclosed by Kew City Bowmen with 2 crossed arrows below, on a violet blue background mounted on the handle of a butter knife

Inscriptions & Markings

Kew City Bowmen (front) Pitcher epns A1 (reverse)

Photograph - Ceiling fresco, Drawingroom, ‘Southesk’, Cotham Road, Kew (dem. 1970)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The most significant decorative aspects of Southesk (formerly ‘Ordsall’) were the murals in the front two rooms. An article in the Melbourne Argus in 1882 records that Mr Vandenbrandt and Signor Rizzi created these under the supervision of Cullis Hill. This fresco from the ceiling of the drawingroom was described by the reporter as ‘done in the quaint old 14th century style … The second panel represents a hawking party. The ladies hold aloft the natural perches for their falcons. The men, seated in picturesque variety of attitude, hold their cross-bows, and a boy is relieving a heron from an arrow which has pierced its bosom.’

Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Photograph - Ceiling fresco, Drawingroom, ‘Southesk’, Cotham Road, Kew (dem. 1970)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The most significant decorative aspects of Southesk (formerly ‘Ordsall’) were the murals in the front two rooms. An article in the Melbourne Argus in 1882 records that Mr Vandenbrandt and Signor Rizzi created these under the supervision of Cullis Hill. This fresco from the ceiling of the drawingroom was described by the reporter as ‘done in the quaint old 14th century style’. This section depicts ‘out-door sports. The fishing-lines of the jester and the almoner have become entangled, and a large wolf-dog seems disposed to arbitrate in the difficulty, while a party of young men and maidens are angling, feeding swans, or training hawks for a future day’s sport.’

Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Photograph - Ceiling fresco, Ballroom, ‘Southesk’, Cotham Road, Kew (dem. 1970)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The most significant decorative aspects of Southesk (formerly ‘Ordsall’) were the murals in the front two rooms. An article in the Melbourne Argus in 1882 records that Mr Vandenbrandt and Signor Rizzi created these under the supervision of Cullis Hill. This fresco from the ceiling of the ballroom is believed to depict one of the ‘boldly drawn four great geographical divisions of the Earth’. The crowned woman, believed to represent Europe, stands aloft in a chariot drawn by cherubs holding garlands of flowers.

Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Photograph - Ceiling fresco, Ballroom, ‘Southesk’, Cotham Road, Kew (dem. 1970)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The most significant decorative aspects of Southesk (formerly ‘Ordsall’) were the murals in the front two rooms. An article in the Melbourne Argus in 1882 records that Mr Vandenbrandt and Signor Rizzi created these under the supervision of Cullis Hill. This fresco from the ceiling of the ballroom is believed to depict ‘Africa’. The article records that: ‘Notwithstanding the large size of the drawings they are often marked by delicate touches, and a minuteness of detail in evident sympathy with nature. The figures have grace, life and animation and the skillful shading of the colours used — chiefly amber, gold, light blue, green, light fawn and brown – is in harmony with the quiet tone of the general furnishing of the rooms.’

Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Photograph - Ceiling fresco, Ballroom, ‘Southesk’, Cotham Road, Kew (dem. 1970)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The most significant decorative aspects of Southesk (formerly ‘Ordsall’) were the murals in the front two rooms. An article in the Melbourne Argus in 1882 records that Mr Vandenbrandt and Signor Rizzi created these under the supervision of Cullis Hill. This fresco from the ceiling of the ballroom is believed to depict two of the Seasons. Signor Rizzi was a renowned painter of flowers. He is credited with painting these parts of the murals. Examples of his floral paintings can still be seen at Villa Alba in Walmer Street.

Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Photograph - Ceiling fresco, Ballroom, ‘Southesk’, Cotham Road, Kew (dem. 1970)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Notwithstanding its grand Italianate façade, the most important aspect of Southesk (formerly ‘Ordsall’) were the murals in the front two rooms. An article in the Melbourne Argus in 1882 records that Mr Vandenbrandt and Signor Rizzi created these under the supervision of Cullis Hill. This fresco from the ceiling of the ballroom depicts ‘Night, represented by a female figure in a diaphanous garment, skirted with flowers, wafted before the approaching dawn into space illuminated by the moonlight, and peopled by the fairies, is a striking picture. Flying with her are an attendant Cupid bearing an artificial light, and a tired little votary of Bacchus with a reversed wine-pitcher and goblet’.

Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Photograph - Entrance to ‘Southesk’, Cotham Road, Kew (dem. 1970)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A colour enlargement of the entrance to ‘Southesk’. Formerly known as ‘Ordsall’, the house was built for John Halfey in 1882 on the corner of Cotham Road and Charles Street. This Italianate mansion was built in the Renaissance villa style on a bluestone plinth. The picture provides photographic evidence of the tiling on the veranda and the typically arched doorway. The neon sign above the door was added during the period when it was owned by the City of Kew (1948-70).

Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Photograph - Façade of ‘Southesk', Cotham Road, Kew (dem. 1970)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A colour photograph of the façade of ‘Southesk’ taken at an oblique angle. Formerly known as ‘Ordsall’, the house was built for John Halfey in 1882 on the corner of Cotham Road and Charles Street. The Italianate mansion was built in the Renaissance villa style on a bluestone plinth. Two balustrades surrounded the parapet of the roof and ran between the groups of pillars on either side of the entrance porch. The verandah was tiled and wide and Corinthian columns supported its roof. When the house passed into the hands of the City of Kew in 1948, the Council used it for a kindergarten, an elderly citizen centre and as a home for the Leo Baeck Centre. The house was demolished in 1970.

Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Photograph - Façade of ‘Southesk', Cotham Road, Kew (dem. 1970)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A colour photograph of the façade of ‘Southesk’ taken at an oblique angle. Formerly known as ‘Ordsall’, the house was built for John Halfey in 1882 on the corner of Cotham Road and Charles Street. The Italianate mansion was built in the Renaissance villa style on a bluestone plinth. Two balustrades surrounded the parapet of the roof and ran between the groups of pillars on either side of the entrance porch. The verandah was tiled and wide and Corinthian columns supported its roof. When the house passed into the hands of the City of Kew in 1948, the Council used it for a kindergarten, an elderly citizen centre and as a home for the Leo Baeck Centre. The house was demolished in 1970.

Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Photograph - Façade of ‘Southesk', Cotham Road, Kew (dem. 1970)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Colour photograph of the front lawn and façade of ‘Southesk’ (formerly ‘Ordsall’, built for John Halfey in 1882). The house was located on the corner of Cotham Road and Charles Street, Kew. The Italianate mansion was built in the Renaissance villa style on a bluestone plinth. Two balustrades surrounded the parapet of the roof and ran between the groups of pillars on either side of the entrance porch. The verandah was tiled and wide and Corinthian columns supported its roof. When the house passed into the hands of the City of Kew in 1948, the landscaping and formal flower beds were removed and replaced by lawns.The house was demolished in 1970.

Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Photograph - Preparatory Drawing for The Four Seasons Window / by Alan Sumner, 1985

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph of the original design by the artist Alan Sumner for his window, The Four Seasons. The window, now in Kew Library was purchased to commemorate Kew's 125th Anniversary. An article in a contemporary issue of Kewriosity states: The window is approximately three metres in diameter and divided into one central and four outer panels. Clockwise from the top is Autumn with sinuous lines in yellow and brown, then winter in cool blues and mauves with lines and circles suggesting rain, snow and hail. Spring follows in the bottom left quadrant with organic ovaloid shapes richly coloured and lines evoking growth. Then to the top where summer explodes with the colours of fire and blue of the sky at the height of summer. The centre panel has a powerful image of sun, moon and stars which links the surrounding panels".

Historical information

The photograph of the window was presented to Cr Jill O'Brien, Mayor of Kew in 1983-4, who was instrumental in the purchase of the window. The same Kewriosity article, referred to in the physical description, states that the window was originally commissioned from the artist by a Kew timber merchant, and following ownership by successive owners found its way back to Kew. The framed photograph is part of the Jill O'Brien collection which was gifted to the Kew Historical Society following her death in July 2016. The collection includes important primary sources relating to a number of areas in which Jill O'Brien made a significant contribution including the establishment of the Villa Alba Museum, local government, the Kew Historical Society, the Yarra Bend Trust, and the arts.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nil

Artwork - 3. East Kew State School / by Joy Stewart, 1988

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

3. East Kew State School. A framed embroidery created by adults and children of the City of Kew as a Bicentennial project, based on a design by the artist Joy Stewart. Five of the six completed embroideries created in the project are/were displayed in the Kew Library. [The five embroidered panels have now been temporarily removed for conservation reasons].

Historical information

The eight panels of which six were completed depict the history of Kew. This was a 1988 Australian Bi-Centennial Project carried out under the auspices of City of Kew Council and the Kew Historical Society Incorporated. Nearly 600 citizens including many children participated in the production by adding a few or more stitches. A book records their names and the panels upon which they worked. Artist: Joy Stewart Co-ordinator: Dorothy Benyei

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "EAST KEW STATE SCHOOL / Typical country school attended by children from surrounding farms and market gardens." Embroidered signature of the artist: "(c) JStewart, 1988"

Artwork - 8. Kew. City of Parks and Gardens / by Joy Stewart, 1988

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

8. Kew. City of Parks and Gardens. A framed embroidery created by adults and children of the City of Kew as a Bicentennial project, based on a design by the artist Joy Stewart. Five of the six completed embroideries created in the project are/were displayed in the Kew Library. [The five embroidered panels have now been temporarily removed for conservation reasons].

Historical information

The eight panels of which six were completed depict the history of Kew. This was a 1988 Australian Bi-Centennial Project carried out under the auspices of City of Kew Council and the Kew Historical Society Incorporated. Nearly 600 citizens including many children participated in the production by adding a few or more stitches. A book records their names and the panels upon which they worked. Artist: Joy Stewart Co-ordinator: Dorothy Benyei

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "KEW: City of Parks and Gardens / Proclaimed a Municipality December 1860 / Created a Borough 1st October 1863 / Gazetted a Town 14th December 1910 / Declared a City 9th March 1921." Embroidered signature of the artist: "(c) JStewart, 1988"

Artwork - 2. Turinville / by Joy Stewart, 1988

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

1. Turinville. A framed embroidery created by adults and children of the City of Kew as a Bicentennial project, based on a design by the artist Joy Stewart. Five of the six completed embroideries created in the project are/were displayed in the Kew Library. [The five embroidered panels have now been temporarily removed for conservation reasons].

Historical information

The eight panels of which six were completed depict the history of Kew. This was a 1988 Australian Bi-Centennial Project carried out under the auspices of City of Kew Council and the Kew Historical Society Incorporated. Nearly 600 citizens including many children participated in the production by adding a few or more stitches. A book records their names and the panels upon which they worked. Artist: Joy Stewart Co-ordinator: Dorothy Benyei

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "TURINVILLE / Early country residence overlooking the Yarra River. Recreational activities of the period included picnics" Embroidered signature of the artist: "(c) JStewart, 1988"

Artwork - 1. Survey Team, 8th February 1803 / by Joy Stewart, 1988

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

1. Survey Team. A framed embroidery created by adults and children of the City of Kew as a Bicentennial project, based on a design by the artist Joy Stewart. Five of the six completed embroideries created in the project are/were displayed in the Kew Library. [The five embroidered panels have now been temporarily removed for conservation reasons].

Historical information

The eight panels of which six were completed depict the history of Kew. This was a 1988 Australian Bi-Centennial Project carried out under the auspices of City of Kew Council and the Kew Historical Society Incorporated. Nearly 600 citizens including many children participated in the production by adding a few or more stitches. A book records their names and the panels upon which they worked. Artist: Joy Stewart Co-ordinator: Dorothy Benyei

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "SURVEY TEAM 8th February 1803 / Grimes, Flemming, Robbins and McCallum explored the river (Yarra) to the falls (Dights), sighting several friendly Aborigines, and were the first Europeans to set foot in the area now known as Kew." Embroidered signature of the artist: "(c) JStewart, 1988"

Artwork - 4. Boroondara Cemetery, established 1859 / by Joy Stewart, 1988

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

4. Boroondara Cemetery, established 1859. A framed embroidery created by adults and children of the City of Kew as a Bicentennial project, based on a design by the artist Joy Stewart. Five of the six completed embroideries created in the project are/were displayed in the Kew Library. [The five embroidered panels have now been temporarily removed for conservation reasons].

Historical information

The eight panels of which six were completed depict the history of Kew. This was a 1988 Australian Bi-Centennial Project carried out under the auspices of City of Kew Council and the Kew Historical Society Incorporated. Nearly 600 citizens including many children participated in the production by adding a few or more stitches. A book records their names and the panels upon which they worked. Artist: Joy Stewart Co-ordinator: Dorothy Benyei

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "BOROONDARA CEMETERY / Established 1859. Horse drawn trams from Victoria Bridge terminated at gates, bringing visitors to the graves of relatives and friends, and sightseers to view the impressive pioneer memorials." Embroidered signature of the artist: "(c) JStewart, 1988"

Souvenir - Spoon, Kew Bowling Club

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A shovel shaped sugar spoon with an enamelled badge attached to the end of the handle consisting of a black bowl with a white dot above a black bib with an old English K with Kew Bowling Club on a red curved band below.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kew Bowling Club Pitcher EPNS Melb

Souvenir - Lapel Pin, Melbourne 150 Anniversary, 1985

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Melbourne 150 Anniversary silver plated pin with a brown enamelled rectangle.

Inscriptions & Markings

Melbourne 150 Anniversary

Souvenir - Ashtray, Kew City Bowmen

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A round plated metal dish with 3 equally spaced indentations for cigarettes and a Kew City Bowmen enamelled badge attached. The badge has a flapping bird standing on a four ringed target enamelled in white, navy blue, green and red rings, a bow superimposed surrounded by Kew City Bowman with 2 crossed arrows below on a mauve blue background.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kew City Bowman

Souvenir - Badge, Kew Citizens Band

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A rounded vertical rectangular enamelled badge with the Kew coat of arms, a red shield on a black background with 2 white ribbon banners one reading Kew and the other reading Citizens Band

Inscriptions & Markings

Kew Citizens Band