Parks Victoria is a statutory authority, created by the Parks Victoria Act 1998 and reporting to the Minister. Our estate covers more than 4 million hectares, or about 18 per cent, of Victoria. We manage the largest and most diverse collection of heritage places on public land in Victoria, with around 2,900 heritage assets and many places of National and State significance. Our primary responsibility is to ensure parks are healthy and resilient for current and future generations. We manage parks in the context of their surrounding landscape and in partnership with Traditional Owners.
Cape Nelson Lightstation stands on a headland near Portland on the far edge of Victoria’s infamous and majestic ‘shipwreck coast’. It was constructed as part of the third campaign of lighthouse building in Victoria, which also saw Bass Strait lights established at Point Hicks, Split Point and Cliffy Island. Designed by Victorian Public Works Department architect, Frederick Hynes, the tower, lightkeepers’ quarters and ancillary structures were built of locally quarried bluestone by John Horne and Co.258 A key component in Victoria’s and Australia’s system of navigation aids, Cape Nelson lighthouse has been the main landfall for vessels approaching Victoria from the west to enter the important Bass Strait shipping lane since the lantern was lit on 7 July 1884. The collection at Cape Nelson includes lighthouse equipment, furniture in use and domestic items.
Cape Nelson Lightstation (2003)
A small collection of technical lighthouse equipment, original furniture with some domestic items.