Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ringwood and District Historical Society Ringwood, VIC

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, preserve and promote material relating to the history of Ringwood, Victoria situated in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs.

The Society maintains extensive Archives encompassing newspaper, journals, books, personal histories, maps, plans, photographs and other material and artefacts.

The archives are located in Norwood Reserve, 125 Warrandyte Road, Ringwood, as well as another site in Tortice Drive, and are open to the public by appointment.

Contact Information

location
11 Ripley Court Ringwood VIC 3134 (map)
phone
+61 0418-103-256

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

125 Warrandyte Road Ringwood VIC

View on Google Maps

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, preserve and promote material relating to the history of Ringwood, Victoria situated in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs.

The Society maintains extensive archives encompassing newspaper, journals, books, personal histories, maps, plans, photographs and other material and artefacts.

The Archives are located in Warrandyte Road, Ringwood and are open to the public by appointment.

Williams Janice 22 February 2019 2:56 PM

The photograph (portrait) of Harold Chivers is in fact a photograph of his older brother Lionel he was disowned by his family in the late fifties due 8 to family reasons

Katina Devril 20 March 2019 10:47 AM

Hello I have an enquiry about the image you have for Lionel Charles Chivers. He is also my father, known by a very different name. We have just discovered this and are putting together pieces of the puzzle about him. He did go on to have another name after us, but we don't know what that is. My question is, could we add to the comments on the photo to add another identity to the face? Our photos are much later, are linked to a different family and are mostly based in Sydney. I would like to add to his identity, but don't really know how to or even if it is appropriate to. We have not yet met his other children and I do not want to offend or upset them, so this is just a general enquiry at this stage. Katina

Leave a comment

3907 items with images

Photograph - St. Paul's Anglican Church when in Ringwood Street, Ringwood - 1963.

Black and white photograph of church.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on backing sheet, "1963 - Old C of E. S.E. corner of Ringwood Street, Civic Place"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Primary School 1964 Choir

1964 Football Team: Photo and handwritten list of names on scrapbook page. (Too many names to include in this record - see image 6554-04B)

Historical information

Used by the Ringwood Primary School for School photos 1960 - 1964.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photographs - Block Buildings, Adelaide St Ringwood before demolition for Eastland 1965

Set of 11 Black and White photos of the Block Buildings corner Adelaide St and Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood. Taken for Court - site inspection by Mr Justice Barber 6.8.1965. Part of the Eastland Compensation Litigation (See Reference below). (Renamed and recatalogued into this one item 2018). 381A: Adelaide St Shops 381B: Rear of Coffee Palace, Maroondah Hwy 381C: Adelaide Street Shops 381D: Side and Rear of Renong Chambers, cnr Civic Place and Adelaide ST 381E: Renong Chambers Adelaide St. )Reynolds Fish and Chip shop on ground floor) 381F: Back of the Coffee Palace 381G: Rear of Adelaide St Shops, off Civic Place. cf SS038k (Record #2832). Taken from Civic Place 381H: Maroondah Hwy, looking towards Adelaide St 381I: Cnr Maroondah Hwy and Adelaide St 381J: Old House, taken from laneway now Civic Place 381K: Coffee Palace, Maroondah Hwy

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamped on back: Peter Payens of Ringwood Studios. 86 Whitehorse Road, Ringwood

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - 29th October 1989 – Our Ladies Church – new Wilana Street entrance

Digital photograph

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Bond St, Ringwood - Eildon Private Nursing Home. 1987

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "14.3.87. Bond Street". Catalogue card reads, "Hospital 'Eildon', Bond St."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Mail Christmas Card and potted history 1965.

Christmas Greetings Card from Ringwood and Croydon Mail, with sketch of the Mail Office on the front, and a potted history of the building inside the card. At the end of the summary: "Reproduced from the original drawing of THE OLD RINGWOOD MAIL" by Artist-Historian Jack Montgomery, Upwey Vic". "Drawn from Sketches completed on the Site -1965"

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed inside cover of card is a potted history of the building.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Philatelic Society meeting in supper room Ringwood Town Hall, 7th August, 1953 (2 Photos)

O0204a is a slightly cropped image compared to O0204b. O0204b was originally O0043

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on backing sheet, "Ringwood Philatelic Society meeting in supper room Ringwood Town Hall, 7th August, 1953. L. to R. Mr. & Mrs. Wenn, J.K. McCaskill (Glasses), Stan Griffiths, K. Wellington, Paddy Miles, Phil Duerdoth, Edith McEwin".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Maroondah City Council water fountain located in Melbourne Street, Ringwood in 2008. Opened on 13 March 1997.

Digital photographs only

Historical information

Before Stage 5 of the expansion of Eastland and REALM.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Book - History of Red Cross in Croydon

History of Red Cross in Croydon From 1915 to 2007

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Railway Station, Arbor Day, 1910.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Ringwood Railway Station. Taken on Arbor Day. 1910?"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Old Ringwood Timber & Hardware Co. site looking towards New Street Ringwood, prior to new development late 1980.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, 'Late '80. Old RWT & H Co. site looking towards New St. prior to new development.'

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph/Postcard - Postcard and souvenir photograph - Murray Views No.16. The Lake, Ringwood Park, Ringwood, Vic.

Black and white "Murray Views" postcard and souvenir photograph - northward view across fly casting competition jetty on Ringwood Park Lake towards Maroondah Highway. Circa 1948.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Tennis match - Jubilee Park

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, "Tennis match - Jubilee Park" [no date].

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Hussey's Warrandyte passenger service cars at Ringwood Railway Station entrance circa 1930.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, "Entrance railway station. See Bruce Bence's book of Hussey who ran the big black car to Warrandyte".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - St Francis De Sales School, Ringwood East.

Inscriptions & Markings

One photograph has, 'RWD E' written on back.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Norwood Primary School, Ringwood, class photo and names Prep L in 1981

Digital photograph

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Church of England Bazaar - East Ringwood, 1885

Black and white photograph of group of people in garden standing in front of wooden wall.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written below photograph, "C/E Bazaar - 1885" Written on backing sheet, "C of E (East Ringwood ) - 1885 (Herry). Assistants at a bazaar".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

School Magazine - Parkwood High School Magazine 1980

Pictures, stories and articles of interest - Parkwood High School/Secondary College, 35-39 Tortice Drive, North Ringwood, Victoria.

Historical information

Parkwood High School/Secondary College opened in 1979 and operated until closure in 2011.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Plaque unveiling at Ringwood Eastern Metropolitan Regional Library, Warrandyte Road, Ringwood on 26/10/1974, marking the Golden Jubilee of Ringwood's severance from Lilydale. Mrs. E Pullin, Ringwood Historical Group President (left), and Mayor, Cr. Stan Morris.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on catalogue card, 'Library. Unveiling stone outside library to commemorate Matthew Flinders explorers and early graves of settlers, 1970.' Written on back of photograph, 'Mayor Cr. Stan Morris dedication rock plaque outside library 1970'.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Book - Unmarked Burials Anderson's Creek Cemetery and Warrandyte Residents Buried At Other Places

Unmarked Burials from 1867 to 1938 at Anderson's Creek Cemetery and Warrandyte Residents Buried at other places to 1867

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Two undated images - Ringwood Bowling Club, Including Mr. Joe Archbold (centre)

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, "Ringwood Bowling Club. Mr. Joe Archbold in centre of photo".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Collecting dahlias Hill's Flower Farm, Ringwood 1905

Black and white photograph of lady picking flowers at Hill's Flower Farm.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of one copy, "John Hill's Flower Farm 29/3/05 Mt. Dandenong Rd., Ringwood East. Later Howship's Flower Farm. Subdivider have retained in Street Name. Miss Elvie Hill." Written on back of one copy, " 'Australian' 29.3.05. John Hill's Flower Farm Mt. Dandenong Rd., later Howship's Flower Farm, subdivided, name retained in street name. Miss Elvie Hill."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Book - Charlie Brown - A Most Remarkable Character

Stories of the life of Charles James Brown, former resident of Ringwood and Gippsland region of Victoria, compiled by Joan Newman in 2011 from recollections of friends and acquaintances.

Inscriptions & Markings

Copy of Death Certificate (page 8) records Charles James Brown died in Bairnsdale, Victoria, on 27th February 1952, aged 83 years.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Official opening of the Karralyka Centre, Mines Road, Ringwood on 19/4/1980 - Victorian Governor Sir Henry Winneke with Mayor

Official opening of the Karralyka Centre

Inscriptions & Markings

19-4-1980: L to R: ? Sir Henry Winneke Lady Winneke Cr Jack McRae Cr Alan Henderson Cr Pat Gotlib

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Antimony Mine, Ringwood 1920

Black and white photograph showing mine building and poppet head. Gum trees to left of picture. (3 copies, various sizes)

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "Antimony Mine, Ringwood - 1920". Catalogue card reads, "Main antimony mine, 1920. Now Civic Centre site. Mullock heaps ("tailings") around place used extensively in making roads in Ringwood in early days."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Laid house in Miles Avenue. On the east corner of Melbourne Street. Ringwood 1987

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "9 Jan. 1987. Laid house in Miles Avenue. On the east corner of Melbourne Street".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Newspaper cutting - Article from the Mail reporting the death of well known resident Mervyn Chivers 7 August 1989

Photocopy of article from the Mail 23-Aug-1989 noting Mervyn Chivers death and his community involvement. +Additional Keywords: Chivers, Mervyn

Historical information

Mervyn Chivers dies. Article in 'The Mail' 23-Aug-1989 .Mervyn joined the air force in WW2 and served in the Middle East and England. He was a well known resident with interests in the Box Hill Operatic Society and sang in many choirs. He was also involved with the Masonic Lodge and was Secretary of the Ringwood RSL. As a member of the Historical Society wrote histories of both the Ringwood RSL and Heathmont

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Opening of the second Dwerryhouse Swimming Centre, 31st October, 1970

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Opening of the second Dwerryhouse Swimming Centre, 31st October, 1970".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Bowling Club, 1961

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, "Ringwood Bowling Club, 1961".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Heathmont, 1984. New architecture

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Heathmont, 1984. New architecture".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood