Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ringwood and District Historical Society Ringwood, VIC

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, preserve and promote material relating to the history of Ringwood, Victoria situated in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs.

The Society maintains extensive Archives encompassing newspaper, journals, books, personal histories, maps, plans, photographs and other material and artefacts.

The archives are located in Norwood Reserve, 125 Warrandyte Road, Ringwood, as well as another site in Tortice Drive, and are open to the public by appointment.

Contact Information

location
11 Ripley Court Ringwood VIC 3134 (map)
phone
+61 0418-103-256

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

125 Warrandyte Road Ringwood VIC

View on Google Maps

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, preserve and promote material relating to the history of Ringwood, Victoria situated in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs.

The Society maintains extensive archives encompassing newspaper, journals, books, personal histories, maps, plans, photographs and other material and artefacts.

The Archives are located in Warrandyte Road, Ringwood and are open to the public by appointment.

Williams Janice 22 February 2019 2:56 PM

The photograph (portrait) of Harold Chivers is in fact a photograph of his older brother Lionel he was disowned by his family in the late fifties due 8 to family reasons

Katina Devril 20 March 2019 10:47 AM

Hello I have an enquiry about the image you have for Lionel Charles Chivers. He is also my father, known by a very different name. We have just discovered this and are putting together pieces of the puzzle about him. He did go on to have another name after us, but we don't know what that is. My question is, could we add to the comments on the photo to add another identity to the face? Our photos are much later, are linked to a different family and are mostly based in Sydney. I would like to add to his identity, but don't really know how to or even if it is appropriate to. We have not yet met his other children and I do not want to offend or upset them, so this is just a general enquiry at this stage. Katina

Leave a comment

3845 items with images

Photograph - Ringwood Town Hall Demolition - 1971.

Pulling down the Ringwood Town Hall. North side looking south, Midway Arcade wall to right, shops Maroondah Hwy to left via Melbourne Street. "Whelan the Wrecker is here" sign on wall

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on backing sheet, "Old Town Hall demolition".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - The Water-Lily Pond at Hill's Flower Farm, Ringwood, in 1905

Black and white photograph showing man picking water-lilies. From 'The Australasian' 29 March 1905.

Inscriptions & Markings

Below photograph reads, "The Water-Lily Pond". Typed label on backing sheet beneath photograph reads, "Mr. Hill's Flower Farm Mt. Dandenong Rd. - Later Howship's. In area around Howship Street."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Building the Dam at Quambee, North Ringwood, in 1916

The Miles family digging a dam at North Ringwood.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Beginning of dam at 'Quambee', 1916. Pilot and Barney" (assume names of draught-horses).

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Methodist Church, Heathmont - 30 September 1973

Methodist Church, Heathmont - 30 September 1973

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on backing sheet, "Methodist Church, Heathmont - 30.9.73"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Catholic Church Picnic - Ringwood families in early 1900s

Black and white photograph of group of young people. (3 copies)

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed beneath photograph, "Catholic Church Picnic (undated ?) Back row. Mrs. Lawlor, Mrs. Pratt, M. Cunningham, T. Hunt - ,N. Lawlor, L. Hunt, H. Pratt. Front - L. Pratt, H. Hunt, - , K. Pratt, A. Pratt, M. Pratt"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - The Ringwood East Presbyterian Church in Lois St

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Rwd. E. Pres. Ch. Became coaching school, Lois St."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Railway Station pedestrian ramp and bridge views - 1976

Two black and white photographs, taken from the pedestrian crossing over the Ringwood railway station

Inscriptions & Markings

Date written on back of photograph, "Mid 1976".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - 15 mile peg at Guest's Furniture Store, Maroondah Highway, Ringwood - 1978

Written on back of photograph, "June, 1978". Guest's "Furniture Forum" store. Shows the (original) 15-mile cement marker, distance from Melbourne GPO.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "June, 1978. Guest's "Furniture Forum" store. Shows the (original) 15-mile cement marker."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Mr. and Mrs. Springett on a garden seat - Ringwood, circa 1930.

Photograph of Mr. and Mrs. Springett on a garden seat. B&W. Mrs Springett holding a child. Clipped hedge behind. Woman standing on LHS, half in the photo. +Additional Keywords: Springett, Mr & Mrs

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "From Mr. and Mrs. Springett". (No date or other information)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Auto Service, Oban Road, Ringwood owned by Ken Riley

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "E624. N17. 1981. No.7 Oban Road. Ringwood Auto Service - Ken Riley".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Construction work at Target Square, NE corner of Maroondah Hwy and New Street, Ringwood - 1981.

Two views of Target Square shopping complex building under construction.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photographs - V134a "29-6-81 View from Verstegen's no - New St across Brambles lot at the centre of Target building cnr of Charters-New St on right below Target." - V134b "30-6-81. Looking south from Brambles across Charter St. west end of Target. New St. just out of picture right".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - No. 92 Kubis Drive, North Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "No. 92 Kubis Drive."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Oval, Ringwood Street - circa 1918

Ringwood Oval circa 1920, showing Ringwood Reserve grand stand, tennis courts on the left, and view towards Ringwood Street and Charter Street in the centre backgroun.. The school master's house behind courts was formerly in the Heatherdale Road school in 1885. It was moved in 1892. (See history of Ringwood State School No. 2997).

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "The old Ringwood Reserve grand stand. Tennis courts on the left, looking towards Ringwood and Charter St. in the centre background. ... 1920. (Site) later developed as Eastland carpark, south-west corner."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Mullum Mullum Creek from footbridge on Munro St., Ringwood, looking east - 1969

Typed below photograph, "Mullum Creek from footbridge on Munro St. Looking east, 1969". Written on backing sheet, "Mullum Creek looking east at footbridge at Munro St. 1970. Pampas grass was planted years ago by Mrs. Blood".(To be verified in regards to planter). +Additional Keywords: Brown, Mrs / Blood, Mrs

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "Mullum Creek from footbridge on Munro St. Looking east, 1969". Written on backing sheet, "Mullum Creek looking east at footbridge at Munro St. 1970. Pampas grass was planted years ago by Mrs. Brown or Mrs Blood".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Baths, Ringwood Street, Ringwood - circa 1940.

Black and white photograph of people swimming in pool with building in background. Man in suit standing at edge of pool. (2 copies) +Additional Keywords: J.K. McCaskill

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "A day at the Old Ringwood Baths, Ringwood Street". Written on back of smaller copy, "The Mayor, Cr. J.K. McCaskill, JP, inspecting swimming pool".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood swimming pool in Ringwood Street, under construction - 1934.

Black and white photograph of construction area with reinforcing wire around edge of excavation. (2 copies, 1 small & 1 enlargement.

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "Building old Ringwood Swimming Pool, 1934, Ringwood Street"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Photos from a Weekly Times newspaper article featuring images of early Ringwood and East Ringwood circa 1910 (6 photos)

Five photographs; Ringwood Railway Crossing; Ringwood Shopping Strip; Pruning Demonstration; Shops, houses and hotel(s) in Mount Dandenong Road; Ploughing.

Historical information

Shops, houses and hotel(s) were originally regarded as being in central Ringwood and later as Ringwood East after the commercial and residential developments gradually centered further west around the Railway Station precinct after train services commenced

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on backing sheet, "Photos from Weekly Times. Check with H.A."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Railway crossing, Bedford Road, Ringwood - c1925

Steam train at Bedford Road railway crossing, Ringwood. Ferntree Gully line.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written below photograph, "Bedford Road railway crossing - c1925".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - No 12 Glenvale Road, North Ringwood. 1964

House in Glenvale Road (2 views). See also #2936-2939 for views of Glenvale Road taken at the same time.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photographs, "1964 - 12 Glenvale Road. Original supplied by Garrett Gundry." (2 views)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Greenwood Park Kindergarten, Greenwood Avenue, Ringwood - 1963.

Greenwood Kinder, 1963

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Greenwood Kinder, 1963".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Greenwood Park Kindergarten, Greenwood Ave, Ringwood - 1963.

Greenwood Park Kindergarten

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on catalogue card, "Greenwood Park Kindergarten".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Dam at 'Quambee', North Ringwood, Sept 1916

Oval image marked on back as "Dam at 'Quambee' Sept 1916".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Historical Research Group display in Eastland Foyer, Ringwood - 1981

Ringwood Historical Research Group (RHRG) display in Eastland Foyer.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "2/81. RHRG display - Eastland Foyer".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Early map of parishes of Ringwood and Warrandyte in Counties of Evelyn and Mornington - c.1868

Copy of an early map of parishes of Ringwood and Warrandyte, Counties if Evelyn and Mornington

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on backing sheet, "c1868. Vol. 5, Fol.13/1224".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Maroondah Highway, Ringwood, looking east from Oban Road - 1999

Looking East along Maroondah Highway, near the corner of Oban Road in December 1999

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Rear of schoolmaster's house Ringwood Street, Ringwood, near the corner of Civic Place in 1945

Rear of schoolmaster's house Ringwood Street, near the corner of Civic Place in 1945 +Additional Keywords: Schools / Ringwood Street

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "Rear of schoolmaster's house Ringwood St. Cnr. Civic Place, 1945". Written on backing of photograph, "Rear of School Masters House in Ringwood St. c1948 - formerly school ?? Heatherdale Rd."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour - Bedford Road, Ringwood - 1973.

Our Lady of Perpetual Succour in Bedford Road in 1973

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "Our Lady of Perpetual Succour - Bedford Road. 30.9.73" Black and white photograph of brick church with sign outside.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Opening of the St Pauls Church, Warrandyte Road, Ringwood - c.1970s.

Opening of St. Paul's C of E Church in 1970s, with minister preaching to the audience

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "St. Paul's opening C of E." Circa 1970

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Opening of St. Paul's C of E Church, Ringwood in 1970s

Opening of St. Paul's C of E Church in 1970s, with choir outside

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Opening St. Paul's C. of E."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - The Methodist Church in Heathmont in 1967

The Methodist Church in Heathmont in 1967

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Methodist Church, Heathmont - 12.8.67".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood