Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ringwood and District Historical Society Ringwood, VIC

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, preserve and promote material relating to the history of Ringwood, Victoria situated in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs.

The Society maintains extensive Archives encompassing newspaper, journals, books, personal histories, maps, plans, photographs and other material and artefacts.

The archives are located in Norwood Reserve, 125 Warrandyte Road, Ringwood, as well as another site in Tortice Drive, and are open to the public by appointment.

Contact Information

location
11 Ripley Court Ringwood VIC 3134 (map)
phone
+61 0418-103-256

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

125 Warrandyte Road Ringwood VIC

View on Google Maps

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, preserve and promote material relating to the history of Ringwood, Victoria situated in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs.

The Society maintains extensive archives encompassing newspaper, journals, books, personal histories, maps, plans, photographs and other material and artefacts.

The Archives are located in Warrandyte Road, Ringwood and are open to the public by appointment.

Williams Janice 22 February 2019 2:56 PM

The photograph (portrait) of Harold Chivers is in fact a photograph of his older brother Lionel he was disowned by his family in the late fifties due 8 to family reasons

Katina Devril 20 March 2019 10:47 AM

Hello I have an enquiry about the image you have for Lionel Charles Chivers. He is also my father, known by a very different name. We have just discovered this and are putting together pieces of the puzzle about him. He did go on to have another name after us, but we don't know what that is. My question is, could we add to the comments on the photo to add another identity to the face? Our photos are much later, are linked to a different family and are mostly based in Sydney. I would like to add to his identity, but don't really know how to or even if it is appropriate to. We have not yet met his other children and I do not want to offend or upset them, so this is just a general enquiry at this stage. Katina

Leave a comment

5188 items

Photograph - Notice of Upcoming Closure of Ringwood Gospel Chapel in Warrandyte Road, Ringwood - 1974

Exterior view of Ringwood Gospel Chapel in Warrandyte Road, Ringwood, prior to relocation in 1974.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "5.10.74". The board on the Church says, "A warm welcome is extended to all. To attend our services shortly to be conducted in a new brick Chapel ... being erected in Tamar Street, Ringwood (off Warrandyte Road)."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Construction of newly relocated Ringwood Gospel Church in Tamar Street, Ringwood - 1974.

The newly located Gospel Church in Tamar Street Ringwood being built in 1974. Previously the church was in Warrandyte Road, Ringwood, since absorbed as part of Eastland.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "5.10.74".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - The Gospel Church in Warrandyte Road, Ringwood in 1973

The Gospel Church in Warrandyte Road in 1973, with Eastland being extended in background

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Gospel Hall, W'dyte Rd. west side, 40 yards south of Miles Ave. 11.7.73"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Construction of East Ringwood Baptist Church in Dublin Road, Ringwood East prior to re-opening in 1966.

East Ringwood Baptist Church in Dublin Road being re-built prior to official opening on Saturday May 14, 1966.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "East Ringwood"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Church of England, Patterson Street, Ringwood East - 1960

Photos of East Ringwood Church of England Church in Patterson Street in 1960

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photographs, "Christ Church, Church of England, East Ringwood - 1960", "C of E, Rwd. E." and "C of E, Rwd. E."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Church of England, Patterson Street, East Ringwood, Vic. - circa 1960.

Church of England Church at East Ringwood with people leaving

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "E. Rwd." Church of England Church at East Ringwood

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Lutheran Church in Wantirna Road, Ringwood in 1974

Lutheran Church in Wantirna Road in 1974

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "5.10.74"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Presbyterian Church in Adelaide Street, Ringwood - 1975

Presbyterian Church in Adelaide Street with Eastland in background in 1975

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Pres. Church - Jan. 1975"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - The Garden of Remembrance at Church of England Church in Warrandyte Road, Ringwood in 1974

The Garden of Remembrance at Church of England Church in Warrandyte Road in 1974

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "C. of E. ash plot, Jan. 1974. Cross is from old church in Ringwood St."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Foundation plaques at the Methodist Church in Greenwood Avenue, Ringwood in 1973

Foundation plaques at the Methodist Church in Greenwood Avenue in 1973 +Additional Keywords: Rev RM Brandt / EW Greenwood / Rev EJ Little

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "22/7/73 Meth. Church C/R Greenwood Av. 2 bot. (bottom) stones are from old church same site." Plaque laid by Rev RM Brandt on 18th May 1963, plaque laid by EW Greenwood MLA on 23rd February 1918 and third one laid by Rev EJ Little on 23rd February 1918.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Church of Christ Church in Bedford Road, Ringwood being built in 1978

Church of Christ Church in Bedford Road being built in 1978

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Church of Christ, Bedford Rd. 1/5/78"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Bamford Bros. Timber Yard, Ringwood - 1910.

Black and white photograph of timber yards with men and horse-drawn vehicles outside buildings. (2 copies) 1910, JK McCaskell, received from Mr Harrison, Warrandyte Road on right leading to Kennedy's orchard

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below one copy, "Bamford Bros. sawmills 1910" and typed below the other, "Bamford Bros. Timber Yard. Cnr. Main St. and Warrandyte Rd. 1910".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Ringwood Cool Store, corner of Wantirna Road and Maroondah Highway, Ringwood - c.1920s.

Old Coolstores in Maroondah Highway, corner Wantirna Road

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "Old Coolstores in Maroondah Highway, corner Wantirna Rd." Written on photograph, "Cool Store, Ringwood".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Building Ringwood Clocktower - 1928.

Black and white photograph of clocktower under construction. (3 smaller photos inserted in sleeve with enlargement).

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "Building Ringwood Clocktower on old site in Maroondah Highway. Corner Warrandyte Rd. 1928".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Roman Catholic Church, Bedford Road, Ringwood Vic. - 1970

Ringwood Roman Catholic Church in 1970

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on backing sheet, "Ringwood R. C. Church. 1.11.70".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Anglican Bishop, later Archbishop Frank Woods - 1958

Archbishop Frank Woods +Additional Keywords: Archbishop Frank Woods

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on catalogue cards, "Archbishop Frank Woods - 18/4/58". There is no documentation linking photograph to event in Ringwood. See also: Reg. no. 72 - "Photo from newspaper showing church dedication by Archbishop of Melbourne, Rev. Frank Woods - April 1958."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - "The Willows" Retirement Village at 74 Warrandyte Road, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Taken in 2000

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Staff at Gracedale Nursing Home in Warrandyte Road, North Ringwood

Hella Hebblethwaite on the staff (59_1.jpg) Edith Elliott, resident at Gracedale (59_2.jpg) Lucy Young and Holly Arnold-Lester on the staff (59_3.jpg)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Salvation Army Band playing in The Centreway, Ringwood, in 1975

Salvation Army playing in The Centreway (off Mullum Mullum Road) in 1975

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Salvation Army playing in Centreway, 1975. They all came in their cars. Once they marched everywhere".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Opening then new Methodist Church, Heathmont - c.1952.

Opening new Methodist Church, Heathmont

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Opening new Methodist Church, Heathmont. (no date).

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Opening the Sunday School by Rev. N. Lade

Opening the Sunday School by Rev. N. Lade +Additional Keywords: Rev. N. Lade

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Rev. N. Lade, President of the conference, turning the key in the door to open the Sunday school hall."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Committee Sacred Heart Fete, Ringwood East - c.1950.

Committee Sacred Heart Fete

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on photograph, "Committee Sacred Heart Fete" No people identified. Photo not dated.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Early Catholic Church Building, Bedford Road, Ringwood - circa 1960s and 1976.

Old Catholic Church building in mid 1976

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photographs, "Old Catholic Church - mid 1976". Written on back of enlargement, "Old Catholic Church, Ringwood - built 1893".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Relocation of Ringwood Church of England building from Maroondah Hwy & Pratt Street corner to Ringwood Street - c.1924.

Removing Church of England Church building from Ringwood East to near Post Office

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on front of photograph, "Removing C. of E. from Ringwood East to near P. Office"

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Gospel Church in Bond Street, Ringwood - 1987.

Bond St. Old Gospel Church

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "14.3.87 Bond St. Old Gospel Church".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Descendants of the Mackinlay and McAlpin families, early award winning fruit growers of Ringwood, Vic.

Lydia and Fiona Cousins on the trampoline (68_1.jpg) Descendants of the Mackinlay and McAlpin families on Christmas Day 1999 (68_2.jpg)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photographs - Ringwood Railway Station buildings circa 2000

Collection of three Ringwood photographs:; 1. Ringwood Station (No 1 Platform); 2. Ringwood Station (No 2 Platform); 3. Ringwood signal box

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Methodist Church, Station Street, Ringwood - viewed from clock tower in 1960

Methodist Church, Station Street, Ringwood, viewed from the clock tower at Warrandyte Road in 1960

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Methodist Church from clock tower - 1960".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - St. Paul's Church of England, Ringwood Street, Ringwood, viewed from Town Hall in 1962.

St. Paul's Church of England from Town Hall in 1962

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photographs, "Town Hall roof 12/62. St. Paul's C. of E."

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photograph - Photo from newspaper showing church dedication by Archbishop of Melbourne, Rev. Frank Woods - April 1958.

Inscriptions & Markings

Photo from newspaper showing dedication of a church. See also: Reg. no. 57 "Anglican Bishop, later Archbishop Frank Woods - 1958".

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood