Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria Malvern East, Victoria

The Archives has extensive material (Methodist, Presbyterian, Congregational and Uniting Church) stored off site and a Reference Library which is on site. The Archives are financed by the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania and staffed by an Archivist and volunteers. The Archives are part of the Uniting Church's national network of archives and linked with UCA Historical Society (VIC) in Lectures and displays. Research is undertaken for a fee.

Contact Information

location
54 Serrell Street Malvern East VIC 3145 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 9571 5476

Contact

Opening Hours

Thursdays 9.00am - 4.00pm. Fridays by appointment.

Location

54 Serrell Street Malvern East Victoria

View on Google Maps

We have a fairly complete Methodist collection with significant holdings of Congregational and Presbyterian material. We also have a collection of Uniting Church Archives at State and local level.

Jean woods 17 September 2018 5:45 PM

Is it possible to see all things and photos of the Rev PUl Mallalieu? I have a large amount of things and photo of his.

Leave a comment

1421 items

1421 items

Photograph - Rev. James S. Cunnington

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W photograph of Rev. James S. Cunnington.

Historical information

Ordained 08/12/1982. Mooroopna 1983–12/1990, Ivanhoe 1991–? Retired 01/01/2008.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Cunnington"

Photograph - Arthur John Coates

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Coates in formal dress.

Historical information

Sir Albert Ernest Coates (1895-1977), surgeon, was born on 28 January 1895 at Ballarat, Victoria, eldest of seven children of Arthur Coates, letter carrier, and his wife Clara Annie, née Eustice, both Victorian born. Although their worldly possessions were few, Arthur and Clara raised their family in an affectionate atmosphere and instilled in them the virtues of honesty, industry and education. They were strong supporters of the Methodist Church. (Australian Dictionary of Biography extract). Arthur apparently was a Home Missionary at one stage of his life.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Arthur Coates, father of Sir Albert"

Photographic print block

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Floor plan of church hall in Allison Avenue show PFA Club Rm, Kitchen, Foyer, Entry, Stage, Hall and Class room.

Historical information

Glen Iris Presbyterian Church on the corner of High Street and Allison Avenue.

Inscriptions & Markings

"5"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W head and shoulders studio portrait of the Rev Thomas Otto Bryant. Mounted on buff card.

Historical information

Born 22/1/1870; died 23/9/1958. Ordained Maldon 1909. Ministry at Northcote, Maldon, Kyneton, Hampton, Subiaco (WA), Secretary Congregational Union of Western Australia; Armadale Mission (WA) and Claremont (concluded 1948). Son of Rev. Samuel Bryant with whom he shared ministry at Hampton 1917–1918.

Inscriptions & Markings

"The Rev T. O. Bryant, 1918 - 1923". Verso: "Hampton Congregational Church"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Sepia toned enlarged reproduction of original full-length studio portrait of Mrs Caroline Dodgson, formerly Miss Caroline Newcomb.

Historical information

Caroline Elizabeth Newcomb (1812 - 1874) woman squatter. Born in London and emigrated to Hobart Town in 1833. She went to Port Phillip in 1836 as governess to the children of John Batman. She met Anne Drysdale in Geelong and they set up a farming partnership. Caroline Newcomb joined the Wesleyan Methodist Society in 1839 and became the first secretary of the Methodist Church at Drysdale, founded in 1849. After Anne's death in in 1853 she continued to run the Coryule property. On 27 November 1861 she married Wesleyan minister the Rev James Davy Dodgson. She died at Brunswick on 3 October 1874. She was buried beside Miss Drysdale at Coryule.

Photograph - Reverend Peter Davis

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B&W head and shoulders photograph of Rev Peter Davis.

Historical information

Reverend Peter K. Davis was ordained in 1954. He served at Nimbin, Milton and in Fiji. He was President of Conference between 1969 and 1971, served at Gladesville, Newtown, Overseas Mission (CFWM), Wesley Central Mission and Leichhardt-Petersham Parish Mission. He retired in 1992. The photograph accompanied the anouncement of Reverend Davis' appointment as incoming NSW Moderator.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Davis September 26 p.16"

Photograph - Rev. Dr. Francis Macnab

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

The three head & shoulders photos show Macnab at three different periods in his life.

Historical information

Macnab was the minister of St Michael's Uniting Church (formerly Collins Street Independent Church) from 1971 to 2016. Macnab was born to J. D. Macnab and Mary Anne Louisa Hughes on 21 June 1931. Macnab married his wife, Sheila, in 1958. They have three children, two daughters and a son. He was made a member of the Order of Australia for his contributions to psychotherapy and religion. Training and psychological work - Macnab holds a Doctor of Divinity degree from the University of Aberdeen. He has honorary doctorates from the University of Melbourne and RMIT in psychology and applied science. In 1961, Macnab opened the Cairnmillar Institute, a clinical psychological centre, the largest in Australia, which was for some time the largest training body for psychologists and counsellors in the country. He was its Executive Director. Macnab founded and is director of the Australian Foundation for Aftermath Reactions which provides trauma treatment and training. He is a Fellow of the Australian Psychological Society. Following a ministry at Prahran Presbyterian Church from 1961 to 1970, Macnab became minister of the then Collins Street Congregational Church, now known as "St Michael's on Collins", in 1971. The church became a congregation of the Uniting Church in Australia at its inception in 1977.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Rev. Dr. Francis Macnab"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W head and shoulders photograph of the Rev. David Skinner Maxwell, mounted on buff card.

Historical information

Rev. David Skinner Maxwell. Born 1830 at Monomail, Scotland. Ordained into the Established Church of Scotland. Arrived in Victoria in 1875. First minister of Kew Presbyterian Church 1975. Returned to Scotland in 1877. Returned to Victoria and served at Kilmore 1878, South Yarra 1879. Resigned due to ill health 1890. Returned to Kew in his retirement and was elected to the Session of the Kew church in 1899. Served as a member of Session until his death in May 1914.

Inscriptions & Markings

Rev. D.S. Maxwell 1875 - 1876

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W photograph of Rev Norman Lowe leaving an unidentified airport.

Historical information

Norman Lowe's placements: Underbool 1953; Merbein 1955; Wodonga & Bethanga 1960; Immigration chaplain 1961-1962; Carlton & Fitzroy Mission 1963; Church of All Nations 1971; West Heidelberg 1974; Approved appointment Community Health Yallourn 1976. Later also Boronia, Dartmoor-Merino, and the Macedonian Church Preston. Lowe was born in 1924, ordained in 1958, and died on 11 November 2013.

Pennant

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Dark blue and red felt triangular pennant with red cotton edging and cream screen printed text.

Historical information

From Glen Iris.

Inscriptions & Markings

"'D' GRADE CAMBERWELL CHURCHES TABLE TENNIS ASSN. HART. PRES. GOLD PREMIERS 1952"

Bible marker

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Cream coloured grosgrain ribbon bible marker with gold fringing at each end. The bible marker has an embroidered Latin cross at one end and "ihs" at the other.

Inscriptions & Markings

"ihs"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Informal colour photograph of Rev. Minchin, Dr. Phillips and one other retreat member taken outdoors.

Historical information

Rev. Minchin was Tasmanian Moderator in 1985. He was a secondary teacher in Victoria before studying at the United Faculty of Theology from 1970 to 1972. His first parishes were Dartmoor and Sale-Rosedale before coming to Hobart in 1980.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Credit Don Ramage Tasmanian moderator, the Rev. John Minchin (right) with Dr. Phillips (centre) and a retreat member C&N 11/6/1986 page 31

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W head and shoulders photograph of Presbyterian Deaconess Jess Metherell.

Photograph - Reverend Alexander Palmer and Edna Palmer celebrate their golden wedding anniversary

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B&W head and shoulders photograph of Alexander and Edna Palmer.

Historical information

Reverend Alexander Palmer was ordained in 1961 and served at Ballarat West, Nyah West, Nhill, Wangaratta, Traralgon, and Maryborough. He entered permanent retirement in 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Rev Alex and Mrs Palmer C&N 9/4/1986 p 33"

Badge - Senior Girls Missionary Union

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Senior Girls Presbyterian Missionary Union blue, white and gold round enamel badge

Badge - Methodist Order of Knights

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

3 Shield-shaped Methodist Order of Knights lapel badges. Dark and light blue enamel with crown at the top.

Inscriptions & Markings

"MOK"

Communion tray

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Shield

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Varnished wooden shield with me rectangular metal plaque at the centre.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented to Rev & Mrs Saynor Tatura by friends of Methodist Church 1 - 4 - 43"

Photograph - Hugh Morgan

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph of Hugh Morgan as part of an article on land rights.

Historical information

The article was the cover story of a discussion between Morgan and the Rev. Dr D'Arcy Wood regarding Aboriginal land rights in C&N for July 25, 1984.

Inscriptions & Markings

Identification of Hugh Morgan.

Symbol

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Wooden MOK Degree of Service Mark on metal and wood stand and with wooden cover. The symbol has a green card inside.

Newspaper cutting

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Oval, B & W head and shoulders photograph of Mr Whitfield Ray, J.B. reproduced in an unidentified newspaper.

Historical information

Mr Whitfield Raw as a schoolmaster and Methodist lay preacher. He preached at Castlemaine and Kyneton, and conducted the first Methodist service at Clunes in 1855. He died in 1895.

Inscriptions & Markings

Mr Whitfield Raw, J.P.

Trophy

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Small silver plate trophy with a handle on bakelite/plastic base. Ticket attached to one handle with gold coloured tape.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front: "Rays Methodist Girls" Back: "1989 Albert St, 1961 Barkly St, 1963 Albert St, 1965 Burnbank St, 1960 Barkly St, 1962 Barkly St, 1964 Nhill, 1966 Brown Hill, 1967 Brown Hill

Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Silver commemorative trowel with turned wooden handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

Were St Methodist Foundation stone laid 31st July 1955

Photograph - Sydney Carter

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W waist length portrait of Sydney Carter in profile.

Historical information

Sydney Bertram Carter (06/05/1915 – 13/03/2004) was an English poet, songwriter, folk musician, born in Camden Town, London. He is best known for the song "Lord of the Dance" (1967), set to the tune of the American Shaker song "Simple Gifts", and the song "The Crow on the Cradle". Other notable songs include "Julian of Norwich" (sometimes called "The Bells of Norwich"), based on words of Julian of Norwich, "One More Step Along the World I Go", "When I Needed a Neighbour", "Friday Morning", "Every Star Shall Sing a Carol", "The Youth of the Heart", "Down Below" and "Sing John Ball".

Plate

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

White entree sized plate with black transfer print. Standard student dining room crockery.

Inscriptions & Markings

'Queen's College'

Photograph - Rev. Brian Howe MP

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Howe at Williamstown dockyard with an exploded view of a frigate September 1984.

Historical information

Brian Leslie Howe, AO (born 23 January 1936), is an Australian former politician who served as the Deputy Prime Minister of Australia in the Labor government under prime ministers Bob Hawke and Paul Keating from 1991 to 1995. Howe was born in Melbourne. He spent his early childhood in the suburb of Malvern and was educated at Melbourne High School and the University of Melbourne. He later studied theology in Chicago (1967–69) and then returned to Australia. He served as a minister with the Methodist Church and the Uniting Church in various parts of Victoria – Morwell, Eltham and Fitzroy. Howe was elected to the House of Representatives in 1977 representing the northern Melbourne metropolitan electoral Division of Batman. He defeated the incumbent Horrie Garrick for Labor preselection in a hard-fought contest.[1] A member of the Socialist Left faction of the Labor Party, he was Minister for Defence Support in the government of Bob Hawke from 1983. In 1984 he became Minister for Social Security and carried out various radical reforms to Australia's welfare system.[2] Howe appeared to face significant opposition within his electorate in 1988, when up to 60 members of the Greek Westgarth branch of the ALP defected to join the Australian Democrats. One of the defectors, tram-conductor George Gogas, contested Batman as a Democrat candidate in 1990, but polled only 12.9 per cent of the vote.[3] After the 1990 election Howe was appointed to the post of Minister for Community Services and Health. When Paul Keating resigned from Cabinet in 1991, Howe succeeded him as Deputy Prime Minister. He became Minister for Health, Housing and Community Services in the Keating government in December 1991, dropping the health part of the portfolio in 1993. In June 1995 he resigned as Deputy Prime Minister and was succeeded by Kim Beazley. He did not stand for re-election at the 1996 election. Following his parliamentary career, Howe has been appointed as an Associate Professor for Melbourne University and continues to work with social policy and related fields. He is a member of the Church of All Nations in Carlton, and active in the Uniting Church. A full biography in his own words can be found in the Proceedings of the Uniting Church Historical Society, Synod of Victoria and Tasmania, Vol. 21, No. 1 for June 2014.

Inscriptions & Markings

Identification of Howe.

photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B&W head and shoulders photo of Mr Jim Allison in three quarters profile.

Historical information

Jim Allison was the manager of the Uniting Church Development Fund in 1979.

Jugs

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

2 stainless steel jugs: MBH 036.1 and MBH 036.2. Graded measures inside.

Inscriptions & Markings

"OZ"; "PT"; "GR"

Photograph - Parkville Presbyterian Church

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

William Downes - one of the founders.

Historical information

The College Church congregation initially worshipped in Ormond College in 1891. In 1895 they purchased the site of the present building. A committee set out certain specifications (including the crown tower), and a competition for the best design was won by architect RA Lawson. The building, constructed by Lang Brothers of Parkville at a cost of 2,170 pounds, was opened in 1898. College Church remained the only parish church in Parkville until 1934. The outstanding element is the crown tower, a choice of the first minister, the Reverend Alexander Yule. It is a copy, albeit on a reduced scale, of King's College Chapel, Aberdeen University, of which Reverend Yule was a former student. This crown tower is the only example in Victoria and is possibly unique in Australia. The church is constructed of red brick and Oamaru sandstone with a steeply pitched slate roof and parapeted gables. Windows are in the Gothic pointed arch style. The interior of the Church has a fine timber ceiling with arch braces. There are a number of quality stained glass windows, the two largest being dedicated to Mungo Scott and his wife, Scott having been a benefactor of the Church. The late nineteenth century pipe organ was built by George Fincham and Son (Richmond), with Professor Franklin Peterson as consultant, and was completed in November 1903. In the 1940s College Church was internally re-ordered and this work was designed by prominent church architect, Louis Williams. The church became part of the Uniting Church in Australia in 1977, and ownership subsequently passed to Mar Thoma Syrian Church in 2008. From The Argus, Friday 19 April 1907: Rev. Alexander Yule washeld in highest esteem in his ministerialbrethren and a large circle of friends was abundanrly evident by the expressions ofsorrowful regret at his death and of sympathy with his widow and her three sonsby those who attended the funeral servicesyesterday morning. To most of those present the announcement of Mr. Yule's death, made in "The Argus" on Wednesday, came as a painful surprise. It was known that at the time of his ministerial jubilee last January he shown symptoms of failing health, and that his illness had gradually become more serious, but few among the intimate friends of the family thought the end was so near. Although Mr. Yule suffered much physical weakness, his mental faculties were unimpaired, and he was able to carry on his ministerial work almost to the last. He even conducted the services at the College Church, Parkville, on Sunday, March 31. Testimony is borne that his ministry was appreciated most highly by the important congregations, both in Scotland and Victoria, under his charge; that in the church courts he was a safe and wise counsellor; and that he did excellent service on various committees, and as the convenor of the Theological-hall committee, on which he was appointed by the General Assembly. The esteem in which he was regarded by the Presbyterian Church as a whole was expressed in his election in 1891 to the Moderator's chair of the Victorian Church, and to that of the Federal Assembly in 1901. The funeral service was held at College Church, the scene of Mr. Yule's ministry since 1891. The building was filled to overflowing by a congregation that included most of the members of the metropolitan presbyteries, representatives from several of the provincial presbyterues, the students of the Theological-hall, members of the Parkville congregation, and the children of Miss Sutherland's Home. The pulpit and furniture were draped in black, and the plain oak coffin rested on the communion-table. The simple yet impressive service usual with the Presbyterian Church was conducted by Professor Rentoul, president of the Theological-hall Senatus, who was assisted by Professor Skene, Rev. W. Fraser (moderator of the Melbourne North Presbytery), Rev. D. S. McEacharn, and the Rev. John Thomson, a life-long friend of the departed minister. The Dead March in "Saul" was played on the organ as the coffin was borne to the hearse. The procession along Parkville-crescent to the cemetery gates was a notable one, and in the following order:—Theological-hall students; the hearse; the chief mourners—Dr. Yule, Rev. A. Yule, Mr. James Yule, and Mr. Groom, M.H.R., a relative of the family; the Theological-hall professors and committee; members of the presbyteries; and other friends, making a large and repre-sentative gathering. At the grave Professor Rentoul, Rev. Dr. Meiklejohn, Rev. D. Ross, and the Rev. Dr. Marshall officiated. The pall-bearers were Revs. D. S. McEachran, J. Thomson, A. McDonald, R. J. Smith,Mr. P. McLennan and Mr. L. E. Groom, M.H.R. The funeral arrangement were in the hands of Mr. Josiah Holdsworth.

Photograph - Albert Kuipers, somerville Church Homes, Darwin

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Kuipers is pictured in shirtsleeves taking notes.

Historical information

Somerville Homes operated from 1965 to 1981. Somerville Homes came into existence in 1965. The homes were named in honour of Margaret Somerville MBE who helped evacuate 95 children from Croker Island to Sydney in 1942 and who returned to Croker Island with the children after the war and continued as a house mother and care giver until 1965. A book entitled "They Crossed A Continent", the story of Margaret Somerville's epic journey was produced. Somerville Homes was established in 1964 when the Methodist Overseas Mission began to discuss the closure of the Croker Island Mission and the transfer of all children to smaller group homes in the Darwin area. It had links with both the Methodist Overseas Mission and the United Church in the Northern Territory. Somerville Homes ran the Somerville Cottage Homes in Darwin from 1968 through to the 1980s. In 1981 Somerville Homes changed its name to Somerville Community Services. Somerville Homes was established as an organisation in 1964 when the Methodist Overseas Mission began to discuss the closure of the Croker Island Mission and the transfer of all children to smaller group homes in the Darwin area. A Somerville Homes Council was created with the aims: (a) to carry out charitable purposes of providing total care for children and young people in the Northern Territory of Australia and elsewhere; (b) to establish and maintain homes for children and young people, provide family counselling, arrange or assist in the arranging of adoptive or foster homes, provide after care and generally provide all such services in its own capacity or in co-operation with others, constituting the total care of the child or young person. The organisation had links with both the Methodist Overseas Mission and the United Church in the Northern Territory. It became an incorporated body with a Board in 1971. After 1977 it retained links with the Uniting Church, Northern Synod. Somerville Homes ran the Somerville Cottage Homes in Darwin from 1968 through to the 1980s. In 1980-81when the organisation expanded its services, it changed its name to Somerville Community Services. Albert Kuipers is not mentioned by name in the online information available.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Albert Kuipers - Somerville Ch Homes Darwin"