Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria Malvern East, Victoria

The Archives has extensive material (Methodist, Presbyterian, Congregational and Uniting Church) stored off site and a Reference Library which is on site. The Archives are financed by the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania and staffed by an Archivist and volunteers. The Archives are part of the Uniting Church's national network of archives and linked with UCA Historical Society (VIC) in Lectures and displays. Research is undertaken for a fee.

Contact Information

location
54 Serrell Street Malvern East VIC 3145 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 9571 5476

Contact

Opening Hours

Thursdays 9.00am - 4.00pm. Fridays by appointment.

Location

54 Serrell Street Malvern East Victoria

View on Google Maps

We have a fairly complete Methodist collection with significant holdings of Congregational and Presbyterian material. We also have a collection of Uniting Church Archives at State and local level.

Jean woods 17 September 2018 5:45 PM

Is it possible to see all things and photos of the Rev PUl Mallalieu? I have a large amount of things and photo of his.

Victorian Collections is no longer accepting public comments

Contact the collector

1431 items

1431 items

Communion set

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

4 piece decorated silver communion set: S11.1 Communion flagon; S11.2 Chalice; S11.3 Chalice; S11.4 Octagonal paten. The set has been identified as coming from The Wesleyan Jubilee Church Toorak by a photograph of its alter.

Historical information

Communion set used in The Wesleyan Jubilee Church Toorak Church which was built in 1877. The church was illegally demolish by developers in 1986.

Legal seal

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Seal/stamp black cast-iron embossing machine with ornate gold and red decoration and a turned wooden handle. The seal in the machine is that of the Wesleyan Church of Victoria Property Trust.

Inscriptions & Markings

"The Methodist Church "Victoria" Property Trust" "Common Seal"

Christening font

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Small sterling silver bowl with cross on the lid. S013.1 & S013.2

Communion set

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Sliver plated communion set consisting of: S07.1 Communion Flagon; S07.2 Chalice; S07.3 Calice.

Historical information

C & B = Cantebury & Balwyn

Inscriptions & Markings

S007.1 C & B 'Congegrational Church presented by Mrs M. T. Shierlaw 1891'. 'IHS'. S007.2 and S007.3 'C & B Congregational Church'.'IHS.'

Silver teapot

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Engraved silver teapot with inscription with ivory knob on lid.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented to Mrs Williams by the congregation of St Alban's as a token of esteem rendered as organist. Oct 28th 1889"

Communion paten

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Round silver communion paten.

Inscriptions & Markings

"St Stephen's Presbyterian Church, West Caulfied, First Sacrament, April 9th 1911" "IHS" in centre

Cake stands

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Communion tray

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Round stainless steel communion tray with pattern and engraved wording in the middle.

Inscriptions & Markings

"TO THE GLORY OF GOD A GIFT TO ST ANDREW'S ARARAT FROM CAROL GEORGE 14/11/59"

Silver communion tray

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Circular communion tray with cartouche edge of grapes. Engraved inscription at the centre.

Inscriptions & Markings

"

Silver serving tray

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Silver trowel with polished wooden handle. Trowel decorated around the edges and with an inscription.

Historical information

Commemorative trowel from Wesley Church St Kilda, 22 October 1857. Alexander Fraser (1802-1888), businessman and politician. Fraser lived at St Kilda and in 1857 was elected to its first Municipal Council; in 1859 he became chairman and mayor in 1864-65. An active churchman, he held most important offices in the Wesleyan Church and for thirty years was treasurer of the supernumerary fund, which he helped Rev. Daniel Draper to found. Dour and pious, Fraser was conscientious in fulfilling his political duties. He presided at numerous meetings and laid countless foundation stones.

Inscriptions & Markings

Presented to Alexander Fraser Esq J.P. on laying the foundation stone of the Wesley Church St Kilda 22nd October 1857. Rev. J. Harding Superintendent of the church. Rev. D.J. Draper Chairman of the District. Rev. J.A. Manton President of the Conference.

Silver Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Decorated silver trowel with bone handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

Presented to John Thompson Esq on the occasion of laying a Memorial Stone of Boundary Street Congregational Mission Church Southport. 23rd May 1890.

Silver commemorative trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Sterling silver commemorative trowel with a turned wood handle, engraved decorations and inscription

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented to F. J. Cato Esqe on the occasion of his laying memorial stone S. Malvern Methodist Church Oct. 8th. 1904"

Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Silver commemorative trowel with a carved/turned wooden handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

Presented to Wm Dods Esqre on the occasion of his laying the foundation stone of the Free Presbyterian Church Brunswick 2nd May 1865,

Silver Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Black leather box with crimson velvet and satin lining containing an engraved silver trowel with a turned bone patterned handle.

Historical information

Identical trowel S049 presented to Mrs Job Smith.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented to Mrs John Watson by the trustees of the Kew Wesleyan Church on the occasion of her laying a memorial stone of the completion of the Edifice December 11th 1889"

Silver commemorative trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

EPNS trowel with a turned wooden handle in black leather box with white satin lining and black velvet base.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Chadstone Methodist Church presented to The Rev G. B. Campbell 29th March 1958"

Silver commemorative trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Silver commemorative trowel with ivory handle in black leather box with blue velvet and satin lining.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Gardinder Methodist Church Presented to F.J.Cato Esq on occasion of laying Foundation Stone May 3rd 1924"

Communion set

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Small set of silver communion vessels for hospital and home visits. S009.1 Chalice S009.2 Commumion jug with screw top lid S009,3 Pater

Inscriptions & Markings

IHS

Communion plates

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Silver Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Engraved silver commemorative trowel in the base of a red leather case with blue velvet lining.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Present to the Rev. James Clow First Moderator of the general assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria in the commemoration of laying the Foundation stone of the First Presbyterian Church erected at Emerald Hill. Revd. D. Macdonald. Minister 1st November 1859"

Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Oblong black leather box with blue satin and cream sating lining containing a silver trowel with a turned wood handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented to F. J. Cato Esq by his Fellow Trustees on the occasion of the laying of the Foundation Stone of the South Camberwell Methodist Church 7th June 1930"

Brass urn

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Silver Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Oblong dark blue leather box with cream satin lining containing an engraved EPNS commemorative trowel with a turned wood handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented to Deaconess I. M Boughen on the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone St Marks Presbyterian Church Hall Kindergarden Jordanville 6-4-1957"

Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Commemorative engraved silver trowel in a black leather box with a blue silk and velvet lining. Trowel is decorated and has an inscription and hallmark on the front. It has plain bone handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented to Mrs S.G.King on the occasion on the laying of the memorial stone of the Hotham Hill Wesleyan Church Dec 16th 1872"

Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

S025.1 Black leather oblong box with white and blue satin lining containing S025.2 a black handled silver trowel with an inscription.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented to Fred J. Cato Esq by the builders and trustees of the Eltham Methodist Sunday School Oct 3rd 1931 Jude 2"

Silver commemorative trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Silver trowel with turned wooden handle in brown faux crocodile leather box with yellow cotton lining.

Inscriptions & Markings

"This trowel was used by Rev. Professor Norman Lede M.A., B.D. to lay the Foundation Stone of the Deepdene Methodist Church 25-2-57"

Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

EPNS commemorative trowel with bone handle in an oblong leather box lined with blue satin.

Historical information

Used for laying the foundation stone of Carlton Methodist Mission, 18/02/1933. Presented to F. J. Cato by A. S. Eggleston, architect, 18/02/1933.

Inscriptions & Markings

Carlton Methodist Mission 18-2-33 Presented to F J Cato Esq by A. S. Eggleston, Architect

Commemorative Trowel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

S026.1 Black leather oblong box with a blue velvet and satin lining containing S026.2 a bone handled silver trowel which has decorative etching around its edge and an engraved inscription.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented to Rev. H. S. Joyce on the occasion of his laying Foundation Stone Northcote Congregational Church 31st Jan 1914"

Trophy

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

A1 EPNS trophy with lid on wooden base. Base has 18 small shields with winners from 1927 to 1936, 1941 - 1948.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Nth Essendon Methodist Girls' Physical Culture Guild" "Erin FitzGerald Cup 1927 Best Worker".

Trophy

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Small silver plate trophy with a handle on bakelite/plastic base. Ticket attached to one handle with gold coloured tape.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front: "Rays Methodist Girls" Back: "1989 Albert St, 1961 Barkly St, 1963 Albert St, 1965 Burnbank St, 1960 Barkly St, 1962 Barkly St, 1964 Nhill, 1966 Brown Hill, 1967 Brown Hill