Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria Malvern East, Victoria

The Archives has extensive material (Methodist, Presbyterian, Congregational and Uniting Church) stored off site and a Reference Library which is on site. The Archives are financed by the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania and staffed by an Archivist and volunteers. The Archives are part of the Uniting Church's national network of archives and linked with UCA Historical Society (VIC) in Lectures and displays. Research is undertaken for a fee.

Contact Information

location
54 Serrell Street Malvern East VIC 3145 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 9571 5476

Contact

Opening Hours

Thursdays 9.00am - 4.00pm. Fridays by appointment.

Location

54 Serrell Street Malvern East Victoria

View on Google Maps

We have a fairly complete Methodist collection with significant holdings of Congregational and Presbyterian material. We also have a collection of Uniting Church Archives at State and local level.

Jean woods 17 September 2018 5:45 PM

Is it possible to see all things and photos of the Rev PUl Mallalieu? I have a large amount of things and photo of his.

Victorian Collections is no longer accepting public comments

Contact the collector

1431 items

1431 items

Photograph

Key words

denham street methodist church, organ, hall
tennis

B & W photograph of a group of 8 men and women with 2 ministers, sitting and standing outdoors. The group was probably from the Denham St. Methodist Church.

Historical information

The Wesleyan Church, Denham Street in Lower Hawthorn, as the area was then called, was opened on 2 May 1886. The building was designed by Geelong architect William Henry Cleverdon and was built of brick in the Gothic style. Its dimensions were 55 x 33 ft and the façade incorporated a rose window and spire 50 ft high. A wooden vestry was placed to the rear. The building and the organ were seriously damaged by fire on 1 April 1970, started by a painter's blowtorch. The church was not rebuilt.

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph

Key words

denham street methodist church, organ, hall
tennis

B & W photograph of a group of 8 tennis players standing in front of a tennis pavilion.

Historical information

The Wesleyan Church, Denham Street in Lower Hawthorn, as the area was then called, was opened on 2 May 1886. The building was designed by Geelong architect William Henry Cleverdon and was built of brick in the Gothic style. Its dimensions were 55 x 33 ft and the façade incorporated a rose window and spire 50 ft high. A wooden vestry was placed to the rear. The building and the organ were seriously damaged by fire on 1 April 1970, started by a painter's blowtorch. The church was not rebuilt.

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph

Key words

denham street methodist church, organ, hall

B & W photograph of a group of young men standing and sitting with the minister outside the Methodist Church in Denham St. Hawthorn.

Historical information

The Wesleyan Church, Denham Street in Lower Hawthorn, as the area was then called, was opened on 2 May 1886. The building was designed by Geelong architect William Henry Cleverdon and was built of brick in the Gothic style. Its dimensions were 55 x 33 ft and the façade incorporated a rose window and spire 50 ft high. A wooden vestry was placed to the rear. The building and the organ were seriously damaged by fire on 1 April 1970, started by a painter's blowtorch. The church was not rebuilt.

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph

Key words

wesleyan chapel, elgin st. hawthorn, denham st. parsonage, uniting agewell

Colour photograph of the exterior of the Wesleyan Chapel at 93-95 Elgin St. Hawthorn. The Denham St. parsonage can be seen in the background.

Historical information

The Wesleyan Chapel in Elgin St. Hawthorn is now used by Uniting AgeWell.

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph

Key words

denham street methodist church, organ, hall
e. cornwall cook, george peake, norman & bead, frederick taylor

B & W photograph of the interior of the Denham St. Methodist Church, Hawthorn. Mounted on card.

Historical information

The Wesleyan Church, Denham Street in Lower Hawthorn, as the area was then called, was opened on 2 May 1886. The building was designed by Geelong architect William Henry Cleverdon and was built of brick in the Gothic style. Its dimensions were 55 x 33 ft and the façade incorporated a rose window and spire 50 ft high. A wooden vestry was placed to the rear. The building and the organ were seriously damaged by fire on 1 April 1970, started by a painter's blowtorch. The church was not rebuilt. The organ was built in 1900 by E. Cornwall Cook, of Barrington Place, Burwood Road, Hawthorn. It was opened on 8 August 1901 by George Peake. The Swell strings may have been added (or substituted for earlier material) by Frederick Taylor, whose workshop was nearby in Burwood Road. At some stage the colourfully decorated façade pipes were repainted in a gold finish. The organ was badly damaged in the 1970 fire and the metal pipes were sent to Hill, Norman & Beard who melted them down for scrap.

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph

Key words

denham street methodist church, organ, hall

B & W photograph of the interior of the Denham St. Methodist Church Hall, Hawthorn. The photograph is taken from the seating area towards the stage, which is furnished with an organ, an upright piano, a table and chairs.

Historical information

The Wesleyan Church, Denham Street in Lower Hawthorn, as the area was then called, was opened on 2 May 1886. The building was designed by Geelong architect William Henry Cleverdon and was built of brick in the Gothic style. Its dimensions were 55 x 33 ft and the façade incorporated a rose window and spire 50 ft high. A wooden vestry was placed to the rear. The building and the organ were seriously damaged by fire on 1 April 1970, started by a painter's blowtorch. The church was not rebuilt.

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph

Key words

st. john's presbyterian essendon, bluestone, st. thomas moonee ponds

B & W exterior view of St. John's Presbyterian Church Essendon. Mounted on brown card.

Historical information

St John's Presbyterian was built in 1853. It was used for worship services 1853 - 1927. It was subsequently used by church organisations for a further 25 years. Demolished in 1953. The front doors and stone entrance archway were reused by St. Thomas' Church of England Moonee Ponds.

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph

Key words

wesleyan church, hawthorn, crouch and wilson, hon. alexander fraser

Sepia carte de visite photograph of the Wesleyan Methodist Church located at the corner of Burwood Road and Williams Street Hawthorn.

Historical information

The Wesleyan Church was located at the corner of Burwood Road and William St. Hawthorn. It was designed by Messrs. Crouch and Wilson. The foundation stone was laid by the Hon. Alexander Fraser MLC on 14 August 1867. The Sunday School next to the church was built in 1878.

Inscriptions & Markings

Burwood Road, Williams Road

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Badge - Royal Freemasons Homes of Victoria

Blue enamel and gold metal award badge.

Inscriptions & Markings

"LIFE GOVERNOR" "ROYAL FREEMASON HOMES OF VICTORIA" On reverse: "Mrs. W.E.Woolhouse 1976"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Badge - Congregational Youth Fellowship

Key words

congregational youth fellowship

Round, dark blue, light blue, white and red enamelled badge which depicts the Mayflower ship in its centre.

Inscriptions & Markings

"CONGREGATIONAL YOUTH FELLOWSHIP"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - Souvenir of the Holiness Convention

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch
brougham street methodist church, north melbourne

Program for the 32nd Holiness Convention. The program has coloured illustrations on its front and back covers.

Historical information

The convention was held on the June 12th, 13th and 14th 1948 in Brougham Street North Melbourne. It was arranged and convened by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: "32nd Holiness Convention Brougham Street North Melbourne" Back cover: "32nd Holiness Convention Saturday June 12 Sunday June 13 Monday June 14 1948 Brougham Street North Melbourne"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - Souvenir of the Holiness Convention

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch

Program for the 28th Holiness Convention. The program is made of pink paper; its cover has a painting of pansies and blue flowers and spiritual words.

Historical information

The convention was held on the 18th and 19th June 1944. It was arranged and convened by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association.

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - Souvenir of the Holiness Convention

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch
south richmond methodist church, richmond

Program for the 30th Holiness Convention.

Historical information

The convention was held in the South Richmond Methodist Church, Church Street, Richmond on the 15th, 16th, 17th June 1946. It was arranged and convened by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: "Light at Eventide "At Evening time it shall be Light""

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - Souvenir of the Holiness Convention

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch
brunswick street methodist church, fitzroy

Souvenir program for the 24th Holiness Convention. The program has a reproduction of the artwork "The Light of the World" by William Holman Hunt. The back cover is umber coloured with an image of a bible and card with the words "Behold I stand at the door and knock. If any man will open I will come in! Have YOU opened it yet?"

Historical information

The convention was held in the Brunswick Street Methodist Church, Cantebury Road, Surrey Hills on the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th June 1940. It was arranged and convened by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: "I am "The Light and Hope of the World""

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - Souvenir of the Holiness Convention

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch
yarra street methodist church, geelong

Souvenir program for the 23rd Holiness Convention. The program is pale green with a painting of four red and orange roses on its cover.

Historical information

The convention was held in the Yarra Street Methodist Church, Geelong on the 18th, 19th, 29th June 1938. It was arranged and convened by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: "Souvenir of Geelong HOLINESS CONVENTION Yarra Street Methodist Church, Saturday, Sunday, Monday March 18,19 & 20 1939""

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - Souvenir of the Holiness Convention

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch
lonsdale street wesley church

Souvenir program for the 22nd Holiness Convention. The program is pale green with a painting of three pink carnations on its cover.

Historical information

The convention was held in the Wesley Church, Lonsdale Street, Melbourne on the 11th, 12th, 1th June 1938. It was arranged and convened by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: "Souvenir of the Holiness Convention"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - Souvenir of the 21st Holiness Convention, Melbourne

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch

Large souvenir program for the 21st Holiness Convention. The program has a pink paper insert which asks for donations to fund the convention and weekend missions.

Historical information

The convention was held in the Methodist Church, Canterbury Road, Surrey Hills on the 12th, 13th, 14th June 1937. It was arranged and convened by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: "Souvenir of the 21st Holiness Convention, Melbourne"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - 19th Holiness Convention

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch
palmerston street methodist church, carlton

Small program for the 19th Holiness Convention.

Historical information

The convention was held in the Palmerston Street Methodist Church, Carlton on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of June 1935. It was arranged and convened by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: "Hope of the World" The Light of the World is Jesus"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - The 14th Holiness Convention

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch
palmerston street methodist church

Small program for the 14th Holiness Convention. It made of raw umber light card and with black text.

Historical information

The convention was held in the Palmerston Street Methodist Church, Carlton on June 6th, 7th, 8th, & 9th 1928. The convention was arranged by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association Melbourne Branch.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: "The Book of Life" "June 6th, 7th, 8th, & 9th 1928" Back cover: "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and light unto my path. Psalm 119.105"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - 12th Holiness Convention

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch
brunswick street methodist church, fitzroy

Small program for the 12th Holiness Convention. It made of raw umber light card and with black text.

Historical information

The convention was held on June 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 1928 in the Brunswick Methodist Church, Fitzroy. The convention was arranged by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association Melbourne Branch.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: "For Immediate Attention" "June 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 1928" Back cover: "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in Heaven."

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Program - 16th Holiness Convention : for the deepening of spiritual life

Key words

methodist local preachers' association melbourne branch

Small, twelve page book-shaped program. The program has coloured covers and is made of raw umber light card and has black text.

Historical information

The convention was held in the Methodist Church, Brunswick Street, Fitzroy on Friday, June 3 through until Tuesday, June 7, 1932. The convention was arranged by the Methodist Local Preachers' Association Melbourne Branch.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: "HIS SWEET WILL" "IN HIS WILL IS OUR PEACE" Back cover: "THY WILL BE DONE"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Trophy

Key words

methodist lawn tennis association of victoria
tonkin, e.

Plate silver trophy with handles on each side. The trophy is engraved around its base with the winners. The trophy is mounted on a timber base.

Historical information

Ten winning teams from 1923 - 1938.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the front: "PRESENTED TO METHODIST LAWN TENNIS ASSOCIATION OF VICTORIA 'C' GRADE BY E. TONKIN ESQ. TONKIN CUP WON BY DENHAM ST."

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Commemorative Trowel

Key words

birregurra presbyterian church
blair, hugh, rev
murray, hugh, j.p.

Silver commemorative trowel with a turned wood handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented by the Revd. Hugh Blair A.M. to Hugh Murray Esqre. J.P. on the occasion of laying the foundation stone OF THE BIRREGURRA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, JANUARY 1865."

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Bible - Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments: appointed to be read in churches

Key words

methodist order of knights

Brown leather covered bible with 930 gilt edged pages. The spine has gilt embossed text. There is a dedication handwritten on the page opposite the title page.

Inscriptions & Markings

"To the Victorian High Court from the Knights of Queensland. Interstate Rally 1950-51 3rd January, 1951"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Bible - The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments: appointed to be read in churches

Key words

methodist order of knights

Brown leather covered bible with 1505 gilt edged pages and 6 colour maps at the back. The spine has gilt embossed text. There is a dedication stuck inside the front of the bible.

Inscriptions & Markings

"METHODIST ORDER OF KNIGHTS. Presented to the Provincial High Court of Victoria and Tasmania as an Expression of Esteem and Appreciation of the many courtesies shown during the Inter-Provincial Rally held in Melbourne December 1950 - January 51 for the South-Australian Delegation" " ? Beasley Knight Grand Commander"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Bible - The New English Bible

Brown leather covered bible with 1377 gilt edged pages in a green box. The bible has green leather end papers. The spine, which is faded, has gilt embossed text. There is a dedication inside the bible.

Significance

The bible is signed by the Moderator, Secretary and Moderators from 1979-2001

Inscriptions & Markings

"THE UNITING CHURCH IN AUSTRALIA. This bible was used at the first meeting of the SYNOD OF TASMANIA held in Launceston 28th-30th October, 1977.

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Communion glasses tray

Key words

patterson, marion

G125.2, G125.3, G125.4, G125.5 4 tier varnished wood communion glasses tray with G125.1 cover. The cover has a small commemorative plaque and a knob at its centre. Each tray has turned wood legs and is made to hold 36 communion glasses giving a total capacity of 144 glasses.

Inscriptions & Markings

'TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF EVELYN JANE GRAIN. PRESENTED BY HER SISTER ANNA FLORENCE 1934"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Communion glasses tray

Key words

patterson, marion

Handmade portable wood communion glasses tray with a turned wood handle. The tray has a small commemorative plaque and holds 40 glasses.

Inscriptions & Markings

"In loving memory of MARION PATTERSON 8.6.1941" "SILVER"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Pennant

Dark blue and red felt triangular pennant with red cotton edging and cream screen printed text.

Historical information

From Glen Iris.

Inscriptions & Markings

"'D' GRADE CAMBERWELL CHURCHES TABLE TENNIS ASSN. HART. PRES. GOLD PREMIERS 1952"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Pennant

Dark blue and red felt triangular pennant with red cotton edging and cream screen printed text. The pennant has the club badge at its short edge.

Historical information

From Glen Iris.

Inscriptions & Markings

'B. GRADE CAMBERWELL CHURCHES TABLE TENNIS ASSN. Hartwell Pres. PREMIERS 1951"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East