Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Summon the Living

24 Jul 2018

Bells from Victorian community collections.

Curated By

Kitty Owens, Manager, Exhibition Services, Museums Australia (Victoria)

1545 items with documents

close

1545 items

Oral History - Brian and June Roberts at 'Blackjack'

Greensborough Historical Society,

11 typed pages.

Historical information

Brian and June Roberts moved to Hume Street Briar Hill as newlyweds. June's story recounts the development of their home on the Plenty River and the friendships with neighbours.

Significance

A primary source recollection of Greensborough in the mid to late 20th century.

Photographs - St Katherine's Anglican Church St Helena 1930s

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 00601:01216:01217:01221:01346:01732:01763:02557 Set of 4 postcards (9x14cm), one photograph (10x16cm), one photograph (16x11cm). All show views of St Katherine's Church St Helena. Also an A4 copy of a magazine article about St Helena.

Historical information

St Katherine's Church St Helena was built by Major Anthony Beale pioneer settler of the area, and named after his wife. The original church was damaged by fire in February 1957 and rebuilt shortly after. The accompanying article describes the "quaint old village of Greensborough" and an excursion to the churchyard at St Helena. Refer to article by Eileen Fortescue in The Argus Newspaper Saturday 19/3/1932 Page 8.

Significance

These photos are significant as they were taken before the fire and there are few photographs of the original church.

Inscriptions & Markings

Each image has a caption and date on the back.

High tide 1996

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Williamstown High School year book for the 1996 school year. A4 size with a black white and red card cover. Red and white pages with illustrations. Contains school news, student work, sports results. 44 pages.

Document - Digital Image - Horrie Richmond. Hall of Fame Citation

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 05255:04705 Digital copy of Citation

Historical information

Hall of Fame Citation for Horrie Richmond as he is inducted into the Greensborough Football Club's Hall of Fame as a Member.

Significance

In 2016, the Greensborough Football Club inducted a number of their past players into the Hall of Fame. This Citation outlines the player's contribution to the Club.

Speech - 1993 Presented by George Ralph

Old Castlemaine Schoolboys Association Inc., CASTLEMAINE

Document - Digital Image - Robert Hyde. Hall of Fame Citation and Roast Tribute

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 05250:04705 Digital copy of Citation and 'roast'

Historical information

Hall of Fame Citation for Robert Hyde as he is inducted into the Greensborough Football Club's Hall of Fame as a Member.

Significance

In 2016, the Greensborough Football Club inducted a number of their past players into the Hall of Fame. This Citation outlines the player's contribution to the Club.

Article - Arthur William Dineen

Greensborough Historical Society,

1 Page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Arthur William Dineen and his service in World War 1. Arthur William Dineen is commemorated on the Greensborough District Honor Board at the Greensborough RSL.

Article - Kenneth Gordon Sharpe

Greensborough Historical Society,

2 pages, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Kenneth Gordon Sharpe and his service in World War 1. At the time of his enlistment he was living at North Fitzroy; his parents lived in Greensborough.

Ballarat Diocesan Council 1963 - 1963 Diocesan Council & Conference

Young Christian Workers (YCW Australia) Archive and Research Centre , Fitzroy North

10 page booklet with blue card cover

Newsletter, City of Moorabbin Historical Society Aug 2010 pdf - August 2010

City of Moorabbin Historical Society operating the Box Cottage Museum, Ormond

Issue 18 of the bi-monthly, City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter produced by Society member and Secretary, Mrs Helen Stanley in August 2010. Notice re meeting august 29th. Items of Interest explain that volunteer Ronnie has completed The CMHS site on Vicnet, Dennis Maynard has built display benches for the Barn and repaired school desks, Mr Neil Follett has donated a photograph of the Tuck family and ‘Baydon Hill’ c1800, Trish Smythe, manager Kingston Library, has displayed Posters and Flyers about Box Cottage Museum, and 3 bridal gowns are now on display at Box Cottage. Robina Naughton has researched a photograph , 1906, of His Excellency Hwang Hon Cheng, Chinese Commissioner, donated by Frank and Lorna Thatcher. A copy of this photograph has been sent to Sophie Couchman, Curator of Museum Of Chinese History. Helen has compiled a 3 page history of Hwang Hon Cheng and the Chinese in Victoria 1840- 1906.

Historical information

The City of Moorabbin Historical Society was formed c 1960 by a group of Moorabbin residents who were concerned that the history of the area should be preserved. A good response to a call for items related to the historical area of Moorabbin Shire brought donations of a wide variety of artefacts which are now preserved by the current members of CMHS at Box Cottage Museum . Helen Stanley, Secretary of CMHS, began producing a Newsletter for members in April 2007 to provide current information and well researched items of historical interest

Significance

Helen Stanley has produced a bi-monthly Newsletter, 2007 - 2013, for the members of the City of Moorabbin Historical Society that contains well researched interesting historical items, notification of upcoming events, current advice from Royal Australian Historical Society , Museums Australia Victoria and activities of Local Historical Societies. The Newsletter is an important record of the activities of the CMHS The issue of Chinese migration was very inflamed and caused much distress to local market gardeners c1900.

Inscriptions & Markings

CITY of MOORABBIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY / AUGUST 2010 NEWSLETTER

Theatre Program - Under Milkwood (play) directed by Don Mackay presented by Mcpherson ink commencing at the Athenaeum Theatre on September 2

Melbourne Athenaeum Archives, Melbourne

Coloured theatre program

Historical information

historical popular play by Dylan Thomas

Newsletter, City of Moorabbin Historical Society No. 7 Vol. 7 August 1967 - City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter No. 7 Vol. 7 August 1967

City of Moorabbin Historical Society operating the Box Cottage Museum, Ormond

2 x L 26cm x W 21cm page 1 printed both sides

Historical information

Topic ; Cheltenham Arts and Crafts; 1861 Railway; T Bent; Junior Citizens Scheme The Aims of the CMHS are ‘to record the history of the City, and register something of the Australian Atmosphere, which the necessary speed-up in post-world-war two (WW11) immigration has caused to be lost; to produce a magazine at regular intervals, featuring the work of pioneers and the changing Australian scene; to work constantly with a long range view towards building a hall where records and exhibits can be housed’ (1961) The Original Newsletters reflect the history and heritage of the former City of Moorabbin — derived from Mooroobin, ‘a resting place’ in the Bunurrung spoken language. In 1994, the City of Moorabbin was integrated into the Cities of Bayside, Glen Eira, Kingston and Monash

Significance

This is Newsletter No. 7 Vol. 7 of the CMHS August 1967 CMHS obtained a Kingston City Council Community Grant 2016 for the digitization and preservation of these Original CMHS Newsletters commenced in 1961

Inscriptions & Markings

CITY OF MOORABBIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY / AFFILIATED WITH THE ROYAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF / VICTORIA AND THE CHELTENHAM ARTS AND CRAFTS SOCIETY/ President Mrs N. Blackman…. Secretary Mrs F.Neville.... / VOLUME 7 No.7 NEWSLETTER AUGUST 1967

Document - Maldon Carols by Candlelight 2016

Maldon Brass Band Inc., Maldon

Article - Gilbert Oliver Barnard

Greensborough Historical Society,

1 Page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Gilbert Oliver Barnard and his service in World War 1. At the time of Gilbert Oliver Barnard's enlistment, he was living in Bundoora.

Correspondence

Public Record Office Victoria, North Melbourne

Eureka Stockade:List of men arrested on the charge of Riot at Bentley's Hotel

Historical information

VA 856 Colonial Secretary's Office

Newsletter, City of Moorabbin Historical Society No.1 Vol. 4 January 1964 - City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter No. 1 Vol. 4 January 1964

City of Moorabbin Historical Society operating the Box Cottage Museum, Ormond

1 x Foolscap paper printed on 2 sides folded for 4 pages

Historical information

This is Newsletter No 1 Vol. 4 produced in January 1964 by Mr T. A. Sheehy CMHS for members and visitors. Topic Australia Day 1803, Surveyor C.Grimes and Captain C Robbins Expedition Port Phillip Bay The Aims of the CMHS are ‘to record the history of the City, and register something of the Australian Atmosphere, which the necessary speed-up in post-world-war two (WW11) immigration has caused to be lost; to produce a magazine at regular intervals, featuring the work of pioneers and the changing Australian scene; to work constantly with a long range view towards building a hall where records and exhibits can be housed’ (1961) The Original Newsletters reflect the history and heritage of the former City of Moorabbin — derived from Mooroobin, ‘a resting place’ in the Bunurrung spoken language. In 1994, the City of Moorabbin was integrated into the Cities of Bayside, Glen Eira, Kingston and Monash.

Significance

This is Newsletter No.1 Vol. 4 of the CMHS January 1964 CMHS obtained a Kingston City Council Community Grant 2016 for the digitization and preservation of these Original CMHS Newsletters commenced in 1961

Inscriptions & Markings

CITY OF MOORABBIN HISTORICAL / SOCIETY / VOLUME 4 ( Number 1 ) / NEWSLETTER January 1964

Emagazine - Fedpress Magazine

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

PDFs of the Federation University Magazine 'fedpress'. Hardcopy of the following years: Issue No 10, 2016 Issue No 12, 2016 Issue No 13, 2016 Issue No. 14, February 2017 Issue No. 15, May 2017 (James Charlton, Rebecca Fletcher, Timothy Kirkham, Mohammad Sami Baardarani, Lajan Maharjan, Jennifer Pont, Kate Williams, Damian Brown, Matthew James, Zoe Ormiston, Freya Fogliani, Myles Hema, Jess Powell) Issue No. 17, October 2017 (Jack Barnes, Damian, Syed Zain Ali, Molly Irvine, Rebecca Fletcher) Issue No. 18, February 2018 (Submission Dates, Guidance for the Shell-Shocked Graduates, Pills, Shark, How to be a Writer, Climate Summit)

Historical information

Formerly known as Hotch Potch, FedPress is the student publication of Federation University Australia. FedPress is a space for students to showcase their written and visual talents. The editorial team aim to inform, inspire, and entertain. We are looking for a range of different creative individuals — journalists, reviewers, poets, designers, artists, and photographers — to submit content. FedPress Magazine prints four issues a year and is distributed across FedUni's Ballarat, Wimmera and Gippsland campuses.

Timber, acrylic paint, glass coat, beeswax - 'Frog Didgeridoo' by Peter Clarke

Federation University Australia Art Collection ,

Mallee Wood didgeridoo with vibrant colours. A natural wood imperfections have been used to emphasise what is recognisable as a frog. This work was purchased from the "My Art, My Life, My Colours' exhibition at the Federation University Post Office Gallery, May 2008.

Historical information

Peter CLARKE (1969- ) Gunditjamara (Lake Condah) Born Heywood, Victoria At two months old Peter Clarke was removed from his parents and placed in a Catholic boy's orphanage in Ballarat. The orphanage was closed and Peter was moved to a public orphanage where he discovered 'manners were not a necessity and you often had to take before you were ever given in this orphanage. ... This new orphanage was not a home for me but a prison of sadness and despair.' Disconnected from his country and lore Peter Clarke chose "my own path to land, county and water". Although his childhood memories are dark and bleak, he uses vibrant colours. This item is part of the Federation University Art Collection. The Art Collection features over 1000 works and was listed as a 'Ballarat Treasure' in 2007.

Prospectus - Ballarat College War Memorial

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Bi-fold printed sheet printed on both sides

Historical information

The War Memorial Appeal Committee of the Ballarat College Old Collegians' Association scheme for a memorial to Old Boys who gave their lives in the service of their country during the Second World War. The appeal was launched in 1946 and the extensions opened in 1953.

Significance

Significant evidence of old collegian commitment to the memory of their peers and to the development of the school.

Advertising Booklet - Lake Park Blackburn - The Idael Place for Pic-Nics

Vicdeaf, East Melbourne

Size 12cmHx15cmW; 12 pages

Historical information

The Australian Deaf and Dumb Society of Victoria purchased and developed land at Blackburn Lake as a flower farm, the idea being to provide light occupation for the deaf and dumb unable to follow other regular employment, A home for aged and infirm deaf was also erected on the property.

Significance

A rare booklet advertising Lake Park Blackburn as an ideal public picnic spot.

"POOWONG HOME" sheet music - "POOWONG HOME"

Poowong Historical Group, Poowong

Original Sheet Music of "Poowong Home" composed by Gladys Sandlant published ? by L.F. Collin Pty. Ltd. Melbourne.

Inscriptions & Markings

Donated to Poowong Historical Group by C Hartnell

National Catholic Girls' Movement (NCGM) Leaders' Programme Booklets - NCGM Leaders' Programme

Young Christian Workers (YCW Australia) Archive and Research Centre , Fitzroy North

Collection of seven programme booklets produced by the NCGM National Exectutive.

Article - John Huxley Carse

Greensborough Historical Society,

2 Pages, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about John Huxley Carse and his service in World War 1. John Huxley Carse is buried in Greensborough Cemetery. John Carse’s father Hubert was Headmaster at Greensborough State School.

Australian Historical Record Society papers - Reminiscences of J.P. Murray, Esq., J.P.

City of Ballarat Libraries, Ballarat

Reminiscences narrated before the AHRS in the City hall, Ballarat, August 25th, 1899, by John P. Murray, from the Orkney Islands, who arrived in Melbourne as a 15 year old in 1849. He served as President of the Ballarat Shire Council 1871-72. In these reminiscences he recalls a time before the goldrush.

Historical information

The Australian Historical Records Society existed in Ballarat between 1896 and 1906. They were one of Australia's first historical societies, and were in the position to still be able to talk to early pioneers. They invited such pioneers to either submit letters or memoirs, or to address the Society's meetings, where their reminiscences were taken down in shorthand and later typed up. The Society also attempted to preserve memorabilia from Ballarat's early days, but on the disbanding of the group in 1906, materials were stored at the Ballarat Town Hall and were later lost. It is not known how the papers made their way to the then Ballarat Municipal Library, but they have been part of the Library's collection for many years.

Publication, e-book - Dadant system of beekeeping (Dadant, C. P), Hamilton, 1920

Beechworth Honey Archive, Beechworth

Notes from donor

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

2 pieces of notepaper See photocopy Packaged with 0025-26 and 0029

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

1) "The effects of my Great Grandmother Janet Amess, wife of Samuel Amess. Dated back to 1850s-60s. Unity Bright." 2) "To whom it may concern. My apologies for the creasing, discoloration and markings but they have inevitably come with age and I hope that someone with the skills to rectify the conditions somewhat can improve them. Thank you very much. U Bright"

Publication - Study of the small hive beetle in the U.S.A. (Somerville, D.). Canberra, 2003.

Beechworth Honey Archive, Beechworth

Article - Edward Brownhill

Greensborough Historical Society,

1 Page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Edward Brownhill and his service in World War 1. At the time of Edward Brownhill's enlistment, he was living at Bundoora.

Ledger - Eltham Road District. Assessment for the Year ending Oct. 14th, 1859

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Ledger with printed columns: Number, Name of Occupier, Description, Where situated, Cultivated land, Pasture land, Estimated annual value of buildings, Rate, Remarks, Arrears collected, excused, unoccupied, uncollected and amount actually collected. Ledger filled out by hand with 173 entries (not alphabetically arranged). A number of blank pages are included.

Historical information

The Eltham Roads Board was established in 1856. This ledger includes the signature of Road Board Secretary and Collector Wingrove, a significant person in Eltham's early history.

Significance

This is a unique significant record of early settlers in the Shire of Eltham. One of 6 early rate books. This is among the oldest items in the EDHS collection. An article in the Eltham and Whittlesea Shires Advertiser Friday 21 Nov 1941 Page 5 titled: District's Early History states: "The first rate book which is still in existence at the Shire Office is for the year ending October 14, 1858 and is probably the best record possible to indicate the development of the district. At the time properties were rated as follows: Cultivated land. 6d. per acre; pasture land, 1d. per acre: estimated annual value of buildings, etc., 6d in the (pound). The total amount of rate recorded for the year was (pounds)153/14/8. Properties were described as being situated at Lower Plenty, Yarra Yarra, Eltham, Lower Eltham, Kangaroo Ground, Yarra Flats, Diamond Creek and the Yarra."

Inscriptions & Markings

Inside cover includes pasted printed note: RATE OF ASSESSMENT AS FOLLOWS: Cultivated land 6d per acre Pasture land 2d per acre Unalienated Pasture Land 8d per Acre Estimated Annual Value of Buildings, &c., 6d. in the Pound

Reports - Nanya Station

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Four digital reports documents relating to Federation University's Nanya Station, Western New South Wales

Historical information

Nanya Station, owned and managed by the University of Ballarat (now Federation University Australia), was purchased with assistance from the Department of Environment and Heritage Government Caring for our Country program. Nanya Station is located in the Scotia country, west of the Darling Ana-Branch in far western New South Wales and consists of the Nanya Western Lands Pastoral Lease 3281 – Perpetual Leasehold Lot 1244 in Deposited Plan 762778, Parish of Winnebaga, County of Tara and part of Lot 1242 County of Windeyer. Nanya is within the tribal area of the Danggali Aboriginal people, a sub-group of the Barkindji. Many Aboriginal sites have been recorded adjacent to major rivers in the region providing evidence that these areas supported a large population. The Scotia region has one of the shortest stock grazing histories of western NSW. Along with five other Scotia properties, Nanya was created as a pastoral lease in 1927. The first European settlement on the land followed exploration of the area by Sturt and Eyre. In 1854, the Lake Victoria lease which encompassed this area comprised 465,000ha.included Scotia blocks 1, 2, 3 and 4, Amoskeag and Winnebaga which formed the area known as the Scotia. It was described as a region of thick mallee scrub, interspersed with bluebush flats and Belah woodland. In the 1920s artesian water was found and the dry Scotia country was surveyed and divided into six Homestead leases allocated by ballot (Withers 1989). All properties were approximately 30,000ha, with a recommended stocking level of 3,000 sheep. Winnebaga (renamed Nanya) was taken up by Gordon Cumming. He initially dug a dam near the southeast corner of the property. A larger ground tank and rudimentary dwelling at the site of the present complex was later established. An adjacent area was cleared and cropped to provide feed for the horses used in digging the earth tanks. The ruins of the original building are located between the shearing shed and Homestead Tank. A cottage was built in the 1930s and a more substantial Red Gum framed homestead in the early 1950s. The lease was held by Mr Gordon Cumming until 1984 when it was purchased by Mr Norm Scadding as an extension to the adjacent lease, Belvedere. It was sold in 1995 to Mr Rob Taylor of Waikerie then in 1999 to BeMax Pty. Ltd., a sand mining company. These last three owners all permitted use of the property by the University for teaching and research. The Centre for Environmental Management at the University of Ballarat had been involved in studies of flora and fauna in western New South Wales since 1988. Studies became concentrated on the Scotia region with its variety of intact ecosystems due to a short pastoral history. Of particular significance is a system of natural salt lakes of which the most extensive is the Scotia Discharge Complex located on Nanya Station. An extensive vegetation survey of the Scotia region Westbrooke et al. 1998) highlighted the significance of the area both in terms of the range of communities in relatively intact condition and the occurrence of species and communities of restricted distribution. Nearly 400 species were recorded of which nine had either not previously been recorded or have restricted distribution in western NSW. Twenty-two plant communities occur on Nanya Station of which two, Halosarcia lylei low open shrubland and Hemichroa diandra/Halosarcia/Frankenia low open shrubland, are dominated by species not previously recorded from NSW. H. lylei and Acacia loderi shrublands are listed as endangered under the NSW Threatened Species Conservation Act. As noted, the area has a relatively short grazing history and, due to the presence of large areas of mallee with a Triodia understorey and restricted water supplies, stocking rates have been low. The diversity of ecosystems in relatively intact condition and extensive areas of old growth mallee made Nanya a highly significant refuge for biological diversity. This factors led to the purchase of Nanya Station by the University of Ballarat in 2004 with the assistance of the Department of Environment and Heritage for the purposes of conservation, research and education. In 2010 the southern paddocks of Nagaella Station (10,000ha.) which lie along the northern boundary, were purchased with the assistance of Lower Murray Darling Catchment Management Authority and added to the Nanya lease to provide complete protection for the communities of the Nanya Discharge Complex and further high quality Malleefowl habitat.

Newsletter - February 2010

Mount Alexander Vintage Engine Club Inc., Castlemaine

Newsletter, City of Moorabbin Historical Society No. 4 Vol. 6 May 1966 - City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter No 4 Vol. 6 May 1966

City of Moorabbin Historical Society operating the Box Cottage Museum, Ormond

2 x L 26cm x W 21cm page 1 printed both sides

Historical information

Topic ; Beaumaris Young Mens Improvement group 1863 The Aims of the CMHS are ‘to record the history of the City, and register something of the Australian Atmosphere, which the necessary speed-up in post-world-war two (WW11) immigration has caused to be lost; to produce a magazine at regular intervals, featuring the work of pioneers and the changing Australian scene; to work constantly with a long range view towards building a hall where records and exhibits can be housed’ (1961) The Original Newsletters reflect the history and heritage of the former City of Moorabbin — derived from Mooroobin, ‘a resting place’ in the Bunurrung spoken language. In 1994, the City of Moorabbin was integrated into the Cities of Bayside, Glen Eira, Kingston and Monash.

Significance

This is Newsletter No. 4 Vol. 6 of the CMHS May 1966 CMHS obtained a Kingston City Council Community Grant 2016 for the digitization and preservation of these Original CMHS Newsletters commenced in 1961

Inscriptions & Markings

CITY OF MOORABBIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY / AFFILIATED WITH THE ROYAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF / VICTORIA AND THE CHELTENHAM ARTS AND CRAFTS SOCIETY/ President Mrs N. Blackman….Editor of Newsletter Mr T.A.Sheehy Secretary Mrs F.Neville / VOLUME 6 No.4 NEWSLETTER APRIL 1966

Postcard

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Black and white Postcard of R. M. S. Baltic. (SH 032 Ships A - B).

Newsletter, City of Moorabbin Historical Society No. 7 Vol. 4 July 1964 - City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter No. 7 Vol. 4 July 1964

City of Moorabbin Historical Society operating the Box Cottage Museum, Ormond

1 x Foolscap paper printed on 2 sides folded for 4 pages

Historical information

Topic ; Junior Citizens ; Collins Expedition 1803 ; William Buckley; The Aims of the CMHS are ‘to record the history of the City, and register something of the Australian Atmosphere, which the necessary speed-up in post-world-war two (WW11) immigration has caused to be lost; to produce a magazine at regular intervals, featuring the work of pioneers and the changing Australian scene; to work constantly with a long range view towards building a hall where records and exhibits can be housed’ (1961) The Original Newsletters reflect the history and heritage of the former City of Moorabbin — derived from Mooroobin, ‘a resting place’ in the Bunurrung spoken language. In 1994, the City of Moorabbin was integrated into the Cities of Bayside, Glen Eira, Kingston and Monash.

Significance

This is Newsletter No. 7 Vol. 4 of the CMHS July 1964 CMHS obtained a Kingston City Council Community Grant 2016 for the digitization and preservation of these Original CMHS Newsletters commenced in 1961

Inscriptions & Markings

;CITY OF MOORABBIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY NEWSLETTER / / (Affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria ) / Vol. 4 No. 7 July 1964 /

Article - William John Thompson

Greensborough Historical Society,

1 page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about William John Thompson and his service in World War 1. William Thompson lived in Montmorency in the inter-war period.

Peace Assembly 1991

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Single green A4 sheet. Flyer for the 1991 Peace Assembly at Williamstown High School, August 6th, 1991. Tong Lee, Shaun Murray and Johnny Wong played musical items during the assembly.

Historical information

The Finn Koren Collection.

Article - Richard Lewis Weir

Greensborough Historical Society,

2 pages, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Richard Lewis Weir and his service in World War 1. Richard Weir lived in Bundoora and is commemorated on the Fallen Soldiers' Memorial in Greensborough..

Publication - Nosema disease: literature review and three year survey of beekeepers: part 2. (Hornitzky, Michael). Canberra, 2008.

Beechworth Honey Archive, Beechworth

28 pages, illustrated.

meeting minutes

Australian Multicultural Community Services, Maidstone

2 sheets of paper from exercise book

Historical information

Australian Polish Community Services was established in 1983 as a community, non for profit and charitable organisation, with the main purpose of responding to the needs and aspirations and promoting the interests of the Polish Australian community in western suburbs of Melbourne. The first Committee of Management meeting was held on 10/05/1983

Significance

first official document in history of Australian Polish Community Services

Inscriptions & Markings

handwritten document

Oral History - Allan Bishop remembers the early years. Interview by Dawn Bennetts

Greensborough Historical Society,

8 page text, black & white and col photographs

Historical information

Recollections of Allan Bishop, resident of the Greensborough area for about 40 years, as interviewed and written by his niece Dawn Bennetts (nee Petts)

Annual Report - 30th Report of the Adult Deaf and Dumb Society of Victoria 1914

Vicdeaf, East Melbourne

Pink Cover, Size 21.5Hx13.5W, 94 pages

Historical information

The Adult Deaf and Dumb Society of Victoria, now known as Vicdeaf, (the Victorian Deaf Society), was founded in 1884 as the Victorian Society for Promoting the Spiritual and Temporal Welfare of the Adult Deaf and Dumb. The provisional committee being Mr W Bates, Mr J M Bruce, Mr J D Gowan, Mr Edwin Newbiggin, Mr C M Officer, M. L, A., and the Rev. W. Moss. The Adult Deaf and Dumb Mission's objects were: 1. To provide the means for religious worship and instruction for the adult deaf and dumb of Victoria 2. To visit the deaf and dumb in their homes, especially when sick or in distress 3. To assist the deaf and dumb of good character in obtaining suitable employment 4. To provide technical and other education for the adult and dumb 5. To give pecuniary assistance to adult deaf and dumb who are in need

Significance

The Annual Reports of the Adult Deaf and Dumb Society are historically significant providing insight into the history of the evolving Deaf Community in Victoria. They are a annual 'snapshot' of the year with references not only to the progress of the Society but also to the significant people and events within the Deaf Community.

Document - Dress Requirements

Freemasons Victoria - Southern Cross Lodge No. 24 (Maldon), Maldon

Article - The 1909 "Battle of Greensborough" / by John Gibson.

Greensborough Historical Society,

2 pages, text, map and photograph.

Historical information

In 1909 military exercises were held in the Greensborough area. In this researched article the site is identified and activities related.

Significance

This is the text of a presentation by John Gibson at the April 2013 meeting of GHS.

THE COOK FAMILY: BOB & HAROLD'S MATERNAL RELATIVES AND THEIR HISTORY as told by cousins, Jeff Miers and Marion ('Bab') Hulme and Bob Snape himself.

Warrnambool RSL Sub Branch, Warrnambool

Historical information

The Cook family was vitally important to the Snape boys who seem to have enjoyed a specially close relationship with Grandfather, 'Charlie Cook the Carpenter' and this largely female branch of the family many of whom lived nearby in Moonee Ponds when the boys were young. Charlie Cook was born at Blackheath in England. He voyaged to the USA to seek his fortune on the Californian goldfields. Hence, he was known as a 'Forty-niner". From California, he sailed to Australia, fetching up in Hobart in 185........... where he met and married Eliza Gardiner...............

Artwork - Poster - Past and Present Ballarat of Forty Years of Progress from an Uninhabited Wilderness

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Large black and white poster (now brown with age) with the hand drawn work of James Meek reproduced by the Ballarat printers Rider & Mercer.

Historical information

James McKain Meek was an artist who built the first house at Ballarat. He wrote 'designed, composed and written with pen and ink by James Meek (founder of the City). When this work was completed the in 1893 the Ballarat Star described the work: - "An Industrial Inmate. At the conclusion of Monday's meeting of the Ballarat Benevolent Asylum Committee one of the inmates, named James McBain Meek, having been introduced, laid upon the table a magnificently executed work of art, bearing the following inscription: - The past and present of Ballarat, or 40 years' progress from an uninhabited wilderness, 1852 to 1892, during which time it has become the grandest inland city of the Southern World. It stands unrivaled by that of any city in her Britannic Majesty's extensive domain over which the sun never sets, and o'er which Albion's beloved sovereign sways her benign sceptre." The work conveys by words and pictorial representations a complete history of Ballarat from its inception up to the 17th March inst. The various pillars and scrolls by which the many incidents that are related are surrounded are marvelously executed, the plain and ornamental lettering is exquisite; while the language used in the narrative is of the most eloquent and refined description. Sketches of the Ballarat Hospital and Benevolent Asylum, equal to any photographic picture, are shown at either end of the word " Ballarat," which occupies the most central position of the chart. The work, which is worthy of a position in any public library or private residence, has been designed and composed by Mr. Meek, who is 78 years of age, at the Asylum. It is done entirely with pen and ink, and was commenced on the 22nd October, 1892, and completed on 17th March, 1893. (Ballarat Star, 27 March 1893)

Significance

Although 'Past and Present Ballarat of Forty Years of Progress from an Uninhabited Wilderness' was printed it appears that few have survived the ravages of time. Another copy of this works survives in the collection of the Australiana Room at the Central Highlands Regional Library Corp. No others have been located to date. (2012)

Inscriptions & Markings

Many, but one includes 'Most respectfully dedicated to the native born children of European parents in the Ballarat Mining District by the author.'

Stick Pin - Ballarat Teachers' College Stick Pins

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Two gold coloured stick pins with the Ballarat Teachers' College Shield, featuring a blue enamelled background with the letters in gold. 1). has Ex Students Assoc'n in gold with blue enamelled background at the bottom of the shield. 2). has Extra Muros in gold coloured relief at the bottom of the shield and a safety chain and pin attached.

Historical information

Both this students stick pin and Ex Students' Association stick pin were owned and worn by Helen Veitch who was a student at the Ballarat Teachers' College in 1948. The Ballarat Teachers' College was established after the Victorian State Government and the State Education Department decided to establish two provincial teachers' colleges, at Ballarat and Bendigo. On 04 May 1926 W.H. Ellwood (Principal), Miss A. Bouchier, and Mr A.B. Jones, welcomed the first enrolment of 61 students to undertake the one year course. In 1927 the College moved to the former Ballarat East Town Hall in Barkly Street, which was remodelled for their use. It closed in December 1931 due to the Great Depression. In 1946 Ballarat Teachers' College reopened and relocated to the Dana Street State School. It was originally planned to open as a women's college, for whom the residence at 130 Victoria Street was purchased, but the decision was made to admit resident men from Ballarat. Mr T.W. Turner was appointed as Principal in 1951 and directed the introduction of a two year course for the Trained Primary Teachers' Certificate. The former one year course was terminated at the end of 1951. In 1958 the College was relocated to a custom built facility at Gillies Street, in close proximity to the Ballarat Botanical Gardens. Numbers increased with the introduction of the Trained Infant Teachers' Certificate course under the guidance of Mary Egan. With the introduction of a three year Diploma Course in 1968 accommodation became cramped. The introduction of the Diploma of Teaching (Primary) led to the Trained Infant Teachers' Certificate being discontinued in 1969, and the end of the Trained Primary Teachers' Certificate in 1969. Secondary Art and Craft students began studies at Ballarat Teachers' College in 1969 under Mr Ted Doney. In 1971 Mr D. Watson was appointed Principal. The State College of Victoria was proclaimed by Order in Council on 24 July 1973, and Ballarat Teachers' College became a constituent college of the State College of Victoria, and was known as State College of Victoria, Ballarat. By 1975 the College moved to Mount Helen as part of the Ballarat College of Advanced Education. Pre service teachers currently undertake their studies on the Mount Helen Campus of Federation University. ("Ruffians Attempted to Carry of the School Tent: A History of State Education in Ballarat", 1974, p73-4.)

Inscriptions & Markings

BTC shield

Grand Youth Concert 1992

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

B5 size booklet with brick red cover. Program for the Grand Youth Concert held at Melbourne Concert Hall in 1992. Williamstown High School participated in the event through the soul band The Wet Reeds and also several students were part of the Combined Secondary School Concert Band.

Historical information

The Finn Koren Collection

Significance

The Finn Koren Collection.

An evening of entertainment 1993

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Single A4 green sheet Folded to B5 size, Program of a musical evening held at St Stephens church, Williamstown on 14th & 15th May 1993. The Williamstown High School Saxophone Quartet comprising Jamila Brogan, Shaun Murray, George Smpyrakis and Aydin Abdullah performed at the event.

Historical information

The Finn Koren Collection

High Tide 1951

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Black and white publication. Buff cover printed in black and red.52 p.: ill.

Historical information

Year book for the 1951 school year. Contains staff, prefects, house captains, form captains, leaders and team photographs, sports results, scholarship recipients, student work.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inside front cover 'L. Smith, Form 1E'.

Card - George Ralph Memorial Card

Freemasons Victoria - Southern Cross Lodge No. 24 (Maldon), Maldon