Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Talking Shop: Ballarat in Business and City Life at Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

27 Jun 2019

Curated By

Amy Tsilemanis, Curator, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

1998 items with documents

close

1998 items

Poster

Public Record Office Victoria, North Melbourne

Eureka Stockade:New Constitution recommended from the people of Victoria

Historical information

VA 466 Governor (including Lieutenant Governor 1851-1855 and Governor's Office)

Gold Assay Balance

University of Melbourne, School of Chemistry, Melbourne

Gold Assay Balance, almost certainly Kirkland's own.

Historical information

Born in Ireland, John Drummond Kirkland trained as a chemical analyst through apprenticeship in a medical laboratory in Dublin, before migrating to Australia in 1852 and moving to Melbourne in 1855. While still an undergraduate medical student at the University of Melbourne, he was appointed lecturer in chemistry following the sudden death of John Macadam in 1865. Due to the enthusiastic support of his fellow students this temporary role became a permanent appointment the following year. Kirkland continued his studies, graduating in medicine in 1873 and surgery in 1880. His son, John Booth Kirkland, was appointed as his assistant in 1878, later leading to accusations of nepotism. In 1882 John Drummond Kirkland became the University?s first professor of chemistry and metallurgy, continuing until his death in 1885. Today?s researchers use a high performance computing facility named ?Kirkland? after the first Professor of Chemistry at the University of Melbourne. Chemistry was still controlled by the medical school during Kirkland?s career, but became part of the science degree from 1886, along with the appointment of David Orme Masson as professor. Kirkland struggled for University funding to buy new apparatus. To compensate, he bought much from his own personal funds, including analytical chemistry equipment. Chemistry was first taught at Melbourne in the medical school, located in the area now occupied by Physics and the Ian Potter Museum of Art.

Article - James Alexander Mitchell

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

One page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about James Alexander Mitchell and his service in World War 1. At the time of his enlistment he was living at Greensborough

Certificate of Appreciation - Maldon Hospital 2001

Maldon Brass Band Inc., Maldon

Newsletter, CMHS June 2014 pdf

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

4 x A4 paper pages printed on one side with colour photograph, Jim Dale, President, welcomes members to the June 29th Meeting and recounts the discovery of a large brush tailed possum in the Cottage on April 27th. The courageous removal of this possum by Carol, the damage to artefacts and the clean up by members. All added to the excitement of the visitors especially children. Glen Eira Council was notified Monday 3oth April, requesting a grate over top of Chimney but no action has been taken yet. Dennis has installed a temporary barrier at base of chimney in fireplace.. CMHS has received a Grant of $2500 from Public Records Office Victoria for the purchase of a Glass Museum Display Case and Mannequin for the Mary Box Wedding Dress c1918. Jim has compiled a story of W.F.Lees WW1 soldier

Historical information

The City of Moorabbin Historical Society was formed c 1960 by a group of Moorabbin area residents who were concerned that the history of the area should be preserved. A good response to a call for items related to the historical area of Moorabbin Shire brought donations of a wide variety of artefacts that are now preserved by the current members of CMHS at Box Cottage Museum. Helen Stanley, Secretary of CMHS, began producing a Newsletter for members in April 2007 to provide current information and well researched items of historical interest. Jim Dale continued to produce the Newsletter in 2013 after Helen resigned

Inscriptions & Markings

City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter JUNE 2014

Article - May Caroline Shortall

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

1 page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Nurse May Caroline Shortall and her service in World War 1. When she enlisted, May was working as a nurse at 14 AAH Macleod.

Letter - Some Band History

Maldon Brass Band Inc., Maldon

A Letter outlining some locations of Photographs of the Maldon Brass Band

Menu

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Menu, or Bill of Fare, on cream coloured stationery from the sailing vessel “Schomberg”. Two rectangular pieces of paper, each bears the printed words “Black Ball Line of Australian Packets, Bill of Fare, Ship, Schomberg”, a printed symbol of the Black Ball line (a black ball on a red flag) and a decorative border. Both pages are handwritten, in similar but different sized writing, with a Bill of Fare and a date, Page (1) dated May 10th 1856 and (2) dated May 12th ’56, (Both dates are AFTER the Schomberg sank in December 26th 1855.) Both pages have three fold lines spaced across their width. To be used for the return voyage.

Historical information

A “Bill of Fare” is a menu or list of food offered for a meal. This Bill of Fare from the sailing ship Schomberg is handwritten in pen in hard-to-read script on the printed pages specifically for the Schomberg ship, of the Black Ball Line of Australian Packets. (‘Packets’ were vessels that had a regular trade run of cargo, passengers and mail; the sailing ship Schomberg was designed for long voyages between England and Australia.) These menus posed a puzzle as they have the handwritten dates of, May 10 and 12, 1856, by which time the Schomberg had sunk (she sunk on December 26, 1855). The donor of these pages of Bill of Fare is a stamp collector from Melbourne. He came across the menus in a package that he bought in 1980 at a stamp auction in Tasmania. He decided to give the menus to Flagstaff Hill this year during his annual family holiday in Warrnambool. A 1981 newspaper article about this donation included an interview with Flagstaff Hill’s curator Mr Peter Ronald, who said that the stationery of these menus is genuine. He went on to say that there would have been much stationery printed for use on the Schomberg although she sank on her maiden voyage. These menus could have been written at a dated late because the surplus Schomberg stationery could have been used for menus on other ships. We will probably never be sure of the answer but none-the-less the pages are still connected to the Schomberg. Below is what we believe the menu consists of although some of the writing is indecipherable - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (first menu) Roast Mutton Boiled Mutton? Ox Tail Mulligatawny? Or possibly Ox Tail Vegetables? Mutton Pies? ------------------------------- Vegetables Potatoes ---------------------------------- Dessert Fruit Puddings? Saturday May 10, 1856 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AND - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (second menu) Boiled Mutton Roast Mutton? Roast Geese? Ox Tail?? Calves Head Broth? ------------------------------- Vegetables Potatoes ------------------------------- Dessert Tarts? Rice Pudding? ?...Maids?? Monday May 12, 1856 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Background of “SCHOMBERG” When SCHOMBERG was launched in July, 1855, she was considered the “Noblest ship that ever floated on water.” SCHOMBERG’s owners, the Black Ball Line (one of three companies by that name), commissioned the ship for their fleet of passenger liners. She was built by Alexander Hall of Aberdeen, UK at a cost of £43,103. She was constructed with 3 skins: one planked fore and aft, and two diagonally planked, fastened together with screw threaded trunnels (wooden rails). Her first class accommodation was luxurious: velvet pile carpets; large mirrors; rosewood; birds-eye maple; mahogany; soft furnishings of gold satin damask; an oak-lined library; and a piano. Overall she had accommodation for 1000 passengers. SCHOMBERG’s 34 year old master, Captain James ‘Bully’ Forbes, had promised Melbourne in 60 days at the launch, "with or without the help of God." James Nicol Forbes was born in Aberdeen in 1821 and rose to fame with his record-breaking voyages on the famous Black Ball Line ships MARCO POLO and LIGHTNING. In 1852 in the MARCO POLO he made the record passage from London to Melbourne in 68 days. There were 53 deaths on the voyage but the great news was of the record passage by the master. In 1954 Captain Forbes took the clipper LIGHTNING to Melbourne in 76 days and back in 63 days, this was never beaten by a sailing ship. He often drove his crew and ship to breaking point to beat his own records. He cared little for the comfort of the passengers. On this, the SCHOMBERG’s maiden voyage, he was going to break records. SCHOMBERG departed Liverpool on her maiden voyage on 6 October 1855 flying the sign “Sixty Days to Melbourne”. She departed with 430 passengers and 3000 tons cargo including iron rails and equipment intended to build the Melbourne to Geelong Railway as well as a bridge over the Yarra from Melbourne to Hawthorn. She also carried a cow for fresh milk, pens for fowls and pigs, and 90,000 gallons of water for washing and drinking. SCHOMBERG also carried 17,000 letters and 31,800 newspapers. The ship and cargo was insured for $300,000, a fortune for the time. The winds were poor as she sailed across the equator, slowing SCHOMBERG’s journey considerably. Land was first sighted on Christmas Day, at Cape Bridgewater near Portland, and Captain Forbes followed the coastline towards Melbourne. Forbes was said to be playing cards when called by the Third Mate Henry Keen, who reported land about 3 miles off. Due in large part to Forbes regarding a card game as more important than his ship, SCHOMBERG eventually ran aground on a sand spit near Curdie's Inlet (about 56 km west of Cape Otway) on 26 December 1855, 78 days after leaving Liverpool. The sand spit and the currents were not marked on Forbes’s map. Overnight, the crew launched a lifeboat to find a safe place to land the ship’s passengers. The scouting party returned to SCHOMBERG and advised Forbes that it was best to wait until morning because the rough seas could easily overturn the small lifeboats. The ship’s Chief Officer spotted the steamer SS QUEEN at dawn and signalled it. The master of the SS QUEEN approached the stranded vessel and all of SCHOMBERG’s passengers and crew were able to disembark safely. The SCHOMBERG was lost and with her, Forbes’ reputation. The Black Ball Line’s Melbourne agent sent a steamer to retrieve the passengers’ baggage from the SCHOMBERG. Other steamers helped unload her cargo until the weather changed and prevented the salvage teams from accessing the ship. Later one plunderer found a case of Wellington boots, but alas, all were for the left foot! Local merchants Manifold & Bostock bought the wreck and cargo, but did not attempt to salvage the cargo still on board the ship. They eventually sold it on to a Melbourne businessman and two seafarers. In 1864 salvage efforts were abandoned after two men drowned when they tried to reach SCHOMBERG. Parts of the SCHOMBERG were washed ashore on the south island of New Zealand in 1870, nearly 15 years after the wreck. The wreck of the SCHOMBERG lies in 825 metres of water. Although the woodwork is mostly disintegrated, the shape of the ship can still be seen due to the remaining railway irons, girders and the ship’s frame. A variety of goods and materials can be seen surrounding the wreck, by divers. Flagstaff Hill holds many items salvaged from the SCHOMBERG including a ciborium (in which a diamond ring was concealed in concretion), communion set, ship fittings and equipment, personal effects, a lithograph, tickets and photograph from the SCHOMBERG.

Significance

These Bills of Fare are significant due to their connection to Flagstaff Hill’s collection of artefacts from the Schomberg, which is significant for its association with the Victorian Heritage Registered shipwreck S612. The collection is primarily significant because of the relationship between the objects, as together they have a high potential to interpret the story of the Schomberg. The Schomberg collection is archaeologically significant as the remains of an international passenger ship. The shipwreck collection is historically significant for representing aspects of Victoria’s shipping history and its potential to interpret sub-theme 1.5 of Victoria’s Framework of Historical Themes (living with natural processes). The collection is also historically significant for its association with the shipwreck and the ship, which was designed to be fastest and most luxurious of its day. The Schomberg collection meets the following criteria for assessment: Criterion A: Importance to the course, or pattern, of Victoria’s cultural history. Criterion B: Possession of uncommon, rare or endangered aspects of Victoria’s cultural history. Criterion C: Potential to yield information that will contribute to an understanding of Victoria’s cultural history.

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed on the pages ““BLACK BALL LINE OF AUSTRALIAN PACKETS.” “Bill of Fare, / SHIP / “SCHOMBERG”.” Handwritten list of food, and on one page “Saturday May 10 1856” and on the other page “Monday May 12”

Document - Launch of One Flintoff Project

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

2p. black and white text plus photographs

Historical information

Launch of the three level project "One Flintoff" to accommodate 320 council staff from Ivanhoe, Rosanna and Greensborough. The offices will be over the Watermarc complex.

Photograph - black and white postcard - Members of 18th Company Australian Army Service Corps

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Eight soldiers of the AIF. They are tent mates of Harry Holmes Driver with the 5th D.A.C. The names of the soldiers are John Raymond (Ray) Blight, Joseph Fawcett, John Joseph (Jack) Nase, Gordon Spittle, Harry Holmes, Harold Joseph Reid, James Leslie (Les) Sim, Leslie John Walters.

Historical information

HENRY SMERDON (Harry) HOLMES was born in 1897 at the family property, ’Sauchieburn’, 17 km north of Ballarat, in the Ascot district. He was the youngest of four children. After finishing his education at St Patrick’s College, Ballarat, Henry joined the Holmes family farming interests. At the age of 18 he enlisted and served with AIF in Egypt, France and Belgium 1915-1918. Henry served at the famous battlegrounds of Ypes and Somme in the Australian Army 8th Battalion. He was a Driver with the 4th D.A.C. The postcard is of "The Ascot" boys. Includes [Samuel] Gordon Spittle, Henry [Harry] Holmes's first cousin, and other Ascot lads and district connections: neighbours, Ascot State School classmates and football mates from Clunes / Creswick districts. (Research by Jane Dyer) Ray Blight and Gordon Les Sim were former students of the Ballarat School of Mines. Les Sim was associated with Sim and Co. hardware and wood merchants).

Inscriptions & Markings

handwritten in pen on verso "This is a snap of our tent mates. Reading left to right. Back row, Jack Nase, Joe Fawcett, H. Reid. Middle - Les Walters, Ray Blight, Gordon Les Sim, (Sim and Co wood merchants) and Harry

Speech Day Program 1945

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Pamphlet of white paper, printed in navy blue. School logo has been part coloured using red biro.

Historical information

Program for Speech Day of Williamstown High School on Friday, 14th December, 1945.

Inscriptions & Markings

Top right hand corner has been cut off.

Article - Ernest Frederick Clayton

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

2 Pages, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Ernest Frederick Clayton and his service in World War 1. At the time of Ernest Frederick Clayton's enlistment, he was living at Greensborough

Article - Philip David Anderson

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

1 Page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Philip David Anderson and his service in World War 1. At the time of Philip David Anderson's enlistment, he was living at Greensborough.

Flyer - Old Schoolboys Song Sheet

Old Castlemaine Schoolboys Association Inc., CASTLEMAINE

Folder of articles - World War 1 Project

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Red plastic binder containing over 150 articles, printed text and images. Each article is filed in plastic pocket.

Historical information

With the centenary of World War 1, members of the Greensborough Historical Society researched the local lads who signed up to serve in the Great War. We have included Nurses from the area and those who served at Mont Park. The Greensborough and district soldiers listed in the World War I Project all had a connection with the area. Names have been taken from the Fallen Soldier’s Memorial, Greensborough Primary School Honour Board, the Greensborough District Honour Board housed at the RSL and by searching through Australian War Memorial and National Archives of Australia records. Some of our soldiers settled in and made great contributions to life in Greensborough after the War. Articles are also available on the GHS website. Descendants or relatives with further information are urged to contact the Society. Family stories and photographs would be appreciated. Suggestions for additions to the list are most welcome.

Photograph - Digital image - Tom and Hugh (Norm) Coventry, 1915

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

1page, sepia photograph and notes

Historical information

Photograph of Hugh Norman (Norm) Coventry age 20 and his brother Tom age 18 after their enlistment 1 December 1915. Coventry Street [Montmorency] is named after Tom Coventry, who lived in the area.

Between the lines 1990 - 2

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Williamstown High School Year book number 2 of 1990 - subtitle "Between the lines". A4 size, apricot card cover, 28 p. Black and white illustrations comprising student work, photographs and school news.

Oral History Transcript - Myrtle Barnett 19/2/1996

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Links: 00024:00741 Transcript of Oral History. Myrtle Barnett (1915- ), fostered daughter of Caroline and Ferdinand Barnett of Lower Plenty. Interviewed by Peter Blackbourn on 19th Feb 1996. Copy 2: Item 741.

Historical information

Oral history. Myrtle Barnett ( 1915- ) fostered daughter of Caroline & Ferdinand Barnett; Lower Plenty. 19 Feb 1996.

Document - Maldon Easter Fair Good Friday Program 2008

Tarrangower History (Maldon & District), Maldon

Newsletter CMHS April 2014 pdf

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

3 x A4 paper pages printed on one side with colour photographs, Jim Dale, President, welcomes members to the April 27th Meeting at Box Cottage. There were many visitors on the February Open Day including Jeff Marriot. In March some guests from a Wedding at the Rotunda in Joyce Park visited. Chris and Judy Hawker, relatives of early aviator Harry Hawker were presented to Her Excellency, the Governor General of Australia, Quentin Bryce during the Centenary of Military Aviation Air Show, held at Point Cook on March1st & 2nd. Jim representing CMHS attended this memorable occasion. Jim also attended Moorabbin Primary School March 3rd where he told the pupils about Harry Hawker. March 22nd Jim, Valma and Anne attended the Moorabbin Primary School Fete handing out leaflets and talking about Box Cottage Museum. City of Glen Eira is conducting a project for WW1 Centenary involving significant Street names in the area eg Monash, Chauvel, Birdwood etc. Jim has compiled a story about Thomas Calcutt 1809 - 45, a shepherd who emigrated from Oxford, England to Brighton Victoria 1842. He was part of the Henry Dendy 's assignment of settlers. Thomas obtained employment with Public Works and lived in Brighton with his family. Sadly he died during the 6km walk home from his work in St Kilda to Brighton 1845. After a 2 day search his body was found. He was the first immigrant to die in this area and subject to an Inquest.

Historical information

The City of Moorabbin Historical Society was formed c 1960 by a group of Moorabbin area residents who were concerned that the history of the area should be preserved. A good response to a call for items related to the historical area of Moorabbin Shire brought donations of a wide variety of artefacts that are now preserved by the current members of CMHS at Box Cottage Museum. Helen Stanley, Secretary of CMHS, began producing a Newsletter for members in April 2007 to provide current information and well researched items of historical interest. Jim Dale continued to produce the Newsletter in 2013 after Helen resigned.

Inscriptions & Markings

City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter APRIL 2014

Publication, e-book - Fifty years among the bees (Miller, C. C.), Medina OH, 1911

Beechworth Honey Archive, Beechworth

Transcript

Public Record Office Victoria, North Melbourne

Eureka Stockade:The Trial of Arthur Akehurst

Historical information

The Argus

Document

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Report of reconnaissance patrol conducted by soldiers of 'A' Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles during Exercise 'Northern Explorer, Northern Territory. 13 pages plus sketch map.

Historical information

In 1988, as part of a Defence of Mainland Australian policy, defence of facilities of strategic importance in northern Australia were allocated to Army Reserve units. ‘A’ Squadron was allocated the defence of Tindal Air Force base located 15 KM outside Katherine in Northern Territory. Consequently the Squadron deployed on Exercise ‘Northern Explorer’ to gain first-hand knowledge of operating conditions for mounted and dismounted patrolling in the area.

Significance

Rare example of a patrol report conducted by soldiers of a Victorian Army Reserve regiment while exercising in Northern Territory.

Publication, e-book - The ABC of bee culture. (Root, A. I.). Sydney, 1891

Beechworth Honey Archive, Beechworth

Livestock Markets Doveton St sth Ballarat

Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute (BMI Ballarat), Ballarat

Historical information

This photograph is from the Max Harris Collection held by the Ballaraat Mechanics' Institute. Please contact BMI for all print and usage inquiries.

Article - Procession of the fruit, by Blamire Young

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Typescript transcription of article in the Argus, Saturday 2 February 1907. 4 p. text and photograph

Historical information

This article, written by noted artist Blamire Young, is a lyrical description of carts bringing produce from the Greensborough area to market. Young lived in Greensborough 1906-1908

Significance

A description of Greensborough as a rural area in the early 20th century

Athletics meet program 1946

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Black and white, printed on paper, this program details an 1946 official schools swim meet. It comprises 16 pages.

Historical information

This program details the Metropolitan High Schools' Sports Association 27th annual Championship athletic sports meeting. The event was held on the Essendon Recreation Reserve. It was a 3 day meet, with Williamstown High School competeing on day two against Coburg, Essendon & Geelong High Schools.

Inscriptions & Markings

See image above.

Document

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Five page collection of notes on history of 8th Light Horse Regiment

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse (Indi) Regiment superseded the 16th Light Horse in 1919. It had its headquarters at Benalla with sub-units throughout the Upper Murray and Northeast Victoria. In December 1941, the regiment converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 8th Reconnaissance Battalion then in July 1942 it became 8th Cavalry Regiment and served in Northern Territory. As Japanese threat to the mainland declined the regiment was disbanded.

Significance

Well researched notes with references on history of Regiment.

Correspondence

City of Whittlesea, South Morang

Correspondence. Letter, paper, handwritten text with seal. Letter from James Ryan, Shire Secretary, Shire of Whittlesea to Mrs Moses Thomas on the death of Moses 18 May 1878.

Historical information

In 1851 Moses Thomas purchased 400 acres, including a half mile frontage to the Plenty River, at Mernda (then known as Morang) where he operated a farm, inn and other business. In 1865 Moses Thomas was appointed Engineer, Clerk and Collector for the Morang District Road Board. In this role he would have been responsible for overseeing the collection of local property rates and the maintenance and construction of local roads and drains. Road District Boards were one of the earliest forms of local government in Victoria. The Morang or Upper Plenty Road District was established in 1862. It covered part of what is today Mernda, Doreen, South Morang, Mill Park and Bundoora. In 1875, the area merged with the Whittlesea Road District to form the Shire of Whittlesea. Moses Thomas briefly served as a Councillor with the Shire of Whittlesea until his death in 1878.

Program - Maldon Easter Fair 2014

Tarrangower History (Maldon & District), Maldon

Previous page