Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Talking Shop: Ballarat in Business and City Life at Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

27 Jun 2019

Curated By

Amy Tsilemanis, Curator, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

1946 items with documents

close

1946 items

no image

Newsletter, City of Moorabbin Historical Society Oct 2007 - October 2007

Key words

city of moorabbin historical society
stanley helen
melbourne
moorabbin
brighton
cheltenham
ormond
bentleigh
market gardeners
pioneers
early settlers
moorabbin shire
sheehy tom
whitehead dr graham
lawson bob
bent tommy
higinbotham george
deakin alfred
box cottage museum
joyce park ormond

A4 paper printed both sides x1. Issue 4 of the bi-monthly, City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter produced by Society member and Secretary, Mrs Helen Stanley in October 2007 Dr G Whitehead’s talk on October 28 has been cancelled because the official ‘Re-opening of Joyce Park’ will be at 2pm that day and large crowds are expected. More volunteers at Box Cottage will also be needed that day. The excerpt from the CMHS Newsletter of March 1963 by Tom Sheehy, President, continues with ‘Higinbotham and the reshaping political scene of 1890’s’

Historical information

The City of Moorabbin Historical Society was formed c 1960 by a group of Moorabbin residents who were concerned that the history of the area should be preserved. A good response to a call for items related to the historical area of Moorabbin Shire brought donations of a wide variety of artefacts which are now preserved by the current members of CMHS at Box Cottage Museum . Helen Stanley, Secretary of CMHS, began producing a Newsletter for members in April 2007 to provide current information and well researched items of historical interest.

Significance

Helen Stanley has produced a bi-monthly Newsletter, 2007 - 2013, for the members of the City of Moorabbin Historical Society that contains well researched interesting historical items, notification of upcoming events, current advice from Royal Australian Historical Society , Museums Australia Victoria and activities of Local Historical Societies. The Newsletter is an important record of the activities of the CMHS. Tom Sheehy, past President of CMHS, was an Historian and Author of 'Battlers tamed a Sandbelt'.

Inscriptions & Markings

CITY of MOORABBIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY / OCTOBER 2007 NEWSLETTER

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

Person - Patsy DELMENICO (1934-2011) & Edwin THOMPSON (1934-1992)

Delmenico Family of Australia, CASTLEMAINE

no image

Booklet - Prospectus, c. 1980s

Key words

publication
history
classroom
music
sport
jewish studies
religion

Historical information

Prospectus, c. 1980s. Three copies in box.

Bialik College, Hawthorn East 3123

no image

Document - A List of the Principal Words used in Modern Music

Maldon Brass Band Inc., Maldon

Oral History - The Noel Withers story

Key words

noel withers
greensborough historical society
june hall
greensborough cemetery

3 typed pages.

Historical information

Noel Withers recounts his background in England, emigrating to Australia and settling in Greensborough. He discusses the development of his interest in the Greensborough cemetery and local history.

Significance

A primary source account of Noel's background and interest in local history.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Music exercise book 1948

Key words

williamstown high school
music
exercise book
1998
students work

An exercise book covered in brown paper. Used for Music school work in 1948 by Judith Stone in Mrs Francis' class. 61 p. of which 43 pages have school work written in fountain pen.

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Petition

Eureka Stockade:Petition to Lieutenant-Governor Hotham from concerned citizens of Melbourne 1855

Historical information

VA 856 Colonial Secretary's Office

Public Record Office Victoria, North Melbourne

no image

Despatch

Key words

official tour

Eureka Stockade:Lieutenant Governor Hotham's report of his visit to the Gold Fields of Victoria

Historical information

VA 466 Governor (including Lieutenant Governor 1851-1855 and Governor's Office)

Public Record Office Victoria, North Melbourne

Article - Frederick William Chanter

Key words

world war 1 project
frederick william chanter

2 Pages, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Frederick William Chanter and his service in World War 1. At the time of Frederick William Chanter's enlistment, he was living at Greensborough. He married Alice Splatt of Greensborough in 1915.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Document, newsletter - The Answer. A newsletter from Melbourne Legacy

Key words

newsletter
answer

Black and white printed newsletters from 1995 in pdf format.

Historical information

This pdf contains all six editions of the Melbourne Legacy Club newsletters in 1995, covering the activities of Melbourne Legacy Widows' Club. It includes photos of events. Information includes a notice from the Chairman of the Widows' Committee, dates of meetings, possible day trips and theatre outings, and cruises. The ladies were welcome to attend many activities including, monthly meetings, card afternoons, indoor bowls competitions, outings and tours, plus the annual fete and Christmas concert. The first edition of the newsletter was in 1960, previously there had been a quarterly magazine but the distribution was limited, they changed to a 4 page newsletter format to reach more of the widows. The September 1992 edition of the Melbourne Legacy newsletter was the first to be called 'The Answer'. The name comes from the verses that guides the work of Legacy - 'In Flanders Field' and 'The Answer'. Editions were published January, March, May, July, September and November, they have approximately 24 pages.

Significance

Brings to life the activities provided for the widows and the work of Melbourne Legacy.

Melbourne Legacy, Melbourne

Document

Key words

flagstaff hill
warrnambool
shipwrecked coast
flagstaff hill maritime museum
maritime museum
shipwreck coast
flagstaff hill maritime village
great ocean road
dr w r angus
warrnambool harbour board records
w.r. angus port medical officer
w.r. angus government health officer
warrnambool harbour historical record
royal commission 1923 on warrnambool harbour

Document "Early Records of the Warrnambool Harbour" from the Royal Commission in 1923, from the W.R. Angus Collection. Seven (7) typewritten foolscap sized pages, official document, page 1 embossed with mark of Warrnambool Harbour Board. Summary of historical records, 1850 - 1884

Historical information

This document "Early Records of the Warrnambool Harbour" from the Royal Commission in 1923 is embossed with mark of Warrnambool Harbour Board. It gives a summary of historical records, 1850 - 1884, associated with the Warrnambool Harbour, such as diary entries from lighthouse keepers. It covers the period from when the lighthouse and other buildings were located on Middle Island to the moving of the lighthouse and buildings to where they now stand at Flagstaff Hill, Warrnambool. The document was amongst the personal effects of Dr. (William) Roy Angus, who was appointed by the Commonwealth Government as a Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool until the 1940's and may have procured it due to his interested in the background to his appointment. This document was donated to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village by the family of Doctor William Roy Angus, Surgeon and Oculist. It is part of the “W.R. Angus Collection” that includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material once belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) as well as Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus, up until 1969. ABOUT THE “W.R.ANGUS COLLECTION” Doctor William Roy Angus M.B., B.S., Adel., 1923, F.R.C.S. Edin.,1928 (also known as Dr Roy Angus) was born in Murrumbeena, Victoria in 1901 and lived until 1970. He qualified as a doctor in 1923 at University of Adelaide, was Resident Medical Officer at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in 1924 and for a period was house surgeon to Sir (then Mr.) Henry Simpson Newland. Dr Angus was briefly an Assistant to Dr Riddell of Kapunda, then commenced private practice at Curramulka, Yorke Peninsula, SA, where he was physician, surgeon and chemist. In 1926, he was appointed as new Medical Assistant to Dr Thomas Francis Ryan (T.F. Ryan, or Tom), in Nhill, Victoria, where his experiences included radiology and pharmacy. In 1927 he was Acting House Surgeon in Dr Tom Ryan’s absence. Dr Angus had become engaged to Gladys Forsyth and they decided he would take time to further his studies overseas in the UK in 1927. He studied at London University College Hospital and at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and in 1928, was awarded FRCS (Fellow from the Royal College of Surgeons), Edinburgh. He worked his passage back to Australia as a Ship’s Surgeon on the on the Australian Commonwealth Line’s T.S.S. Largs Bay. Dr Angus married Gladys in 1929, in Ballarat. (They went on to have one son (Graham 1932, born in SA) and two daughters (Helen (died 12/07/1996) and Berenice (Berry), both born at Mira, Nhill ) Dr Angus was a ‘flying doctor’ for the A.I.M. (Australian Inland Ministry) Aerial Medical Service in 1928 . The organisation began in South Australia through the Presbyterian Church in that year, with its first station being in the remote town of Oodnadatta, where Dr Angus was stationed. He was locum tenens there on North-South Railway at 21 Mile Camp. He took up this ‘flying doctor’ position in response to a call from Dr John Flynn; the organisation was later known as the Flying Doctor Service, then the Royal Flying Doctor Service. A lot of his work during this time involved dental surgery also. Between 1928-1932 he was surgeon at the Curramulka Hospital, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1933 Dr Angus returned to Nhill where he’d previously worked as Medical Assistant and purchased a share of the Nelson Street practice and Mira hospital from Dr Les Middleton one of the Middleton Brothers, the current owners of what was once Dr Tom Ryan’s practice. Dr L Middleton was House Surgeon to the Nhill Hospital 1926-1933, when he resigned. [Dr Tom Ryan’s practice had originally belonged to his older brother Dr Edward Ryan, who came to Nhill in 1885. Dr Edward saw patients at his rooms, firstly in Victoria Street and in 1886 in Nelson Street, until 1901. The Nelson Street practice also had a 2 bed ward, called Mira Private Hospital ). Dr Edward Ryan was House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1884-1902 . He also had occasions where he successfully performed veterinary surgery for the local farmers too. Dr Tom Ryan then purchased the practice from his brother in 1901. Both Dr Edward and Dr Tom Ryan work as surgeons included eye surgery. Dr Tom Ryan performed many of his operations in the Mira private hospital on his premises. He too was House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1902-1926. Dr Tom Ryan had one of the only two pieces of radiology equipment in Victoria during his practicing years – The Royal Melbourne Hospital had the other one. Over the years Dr Tom Ryan gradually set up what was effectively a training school for country general-practitioner-surgeons. Each patient was carefully examined, including using the X-ray machine, and any surgery was discussed and planned with Dr Ryan’s assistants several days in advance. Dr Angus gained experience in using the X-ray machine there during his time as assistant to Dr Ryan. Dr Tom Ryan moved from Nhill in 1926. He became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1927, soon after its formation, a rare accolade for a doctor outside any of the major cities. He remained a bachelor and died suddenly on 7th Dec 1955, aged 91, at his home in Ararat. Scholarships and prizes are still awarded to medical students in the honour of Dr T.F. Ryan and his father, Dr Michael Ryan, and brother, John Patrick Ryan. ] When Dr Angus bought into the Nelson Street premises in Nhill he was also appointed as the Nhill Hospital’s Honorary House Surgeon 1933-1938. His practitioner’s plate from his Nhill surgery states “HOURS Daily, except Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturday afternoons, 9-10am, 2-4pm, 7-8pm. Sundays by appointment”. This plate is now mounted on the doorway to the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool. Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Tom Ryan had an extensive collection of historical medical equipment and materials spanning 1884-1926 and when Dr Angus took up practice in their old premises he obtained this collection, a large part of which is now on display at the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village in Warrnambool. During his time in Nhill Dr Angus was involved in the merging of the Mira Hospital and Nhill Public Hospital into one public hospital and the property titles passed on to Nhill Hospital in 1939. In 1939 Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool where he purchased “Birchwood,” the 1852 home and medical practice of Dr John Hunter Henderson, at 214 Koroit Street. (This property was sold in1965 to the State Government and is now the site of the Warrnambool Police Station. ). The Angus family was able to afford gardeners, cooks and maids; their home was a popular place for visiting dignitaries to stay whilst visiting Warrnambool. Dr Angus had his own silk worm farm at home in a Mulberry tree. His young daughter used his centrifuge for spinning the silk. Dr Angus was appointed on a part-time basis as Port Medical Officer (Health Officer) in Warrnambool and held this position until the 1940’s when the government no longer required the service of a Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool; he was thus Warrnambool’s last serving Port Medical Officer. (The duties of a Port Medical Officer were outlined by the Colonial Secretary on 21st June, 1839 under the terms of the Quarantine Act. Masters of immigrant ships arriving in port reported incidents of diseases, illness and death and the Port Medical Officer made a decision on whether the ship required Quarantine and for how long, in this way preventing contagious illness from spreading from new immigrants to the residents already in the colony.) Dr Angus was a member of the Australian Medical Association, for 35 years and surgeon at the Warrnambool Base Hospital 1939-1942, He served as a Surgeon Captain during WWII 1941-45, in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W., completing his service just before the end of the war due to suffering from a heart attack. During his convalescence he carved an intricate and ‘most artistic’ chess set from the material that dentures were made from. He then studied ophthalmology at the Royal Melbourne Eye and Ear Hospital and created cosmetically superior artificial eyes by pioneering using the intrascleral cartilage. Angus received accolades from the Ophthalmological Society of Australasia for this work. He returned to Warrnambool to commence practice as an ophthalmologist, pioneering in artificial eye improvements. He was Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist to Warrnambool Base Hospital for 31 years. He made monthly visits to Portland as a visiting surgeon, to perform eye surgery. He represented the Victorian South-West subdivision of the Australian Medical Association as its secretary between 1949 and 1956 and as chairman from 1956 to 1958. In 1968 Dr Angus was elected member of Spain’s Barraquer Institute of Barcelona after his research work in Intrasclearal cartilage grafting, becoming one of the few Australian ophthalmologists to receive this honour, and in the following year presented his final paper on Living Intrasclearal Cartilage Implants at the Inaugural Meeting of the Australian College of Ophthalmologists in Melbourne In his personal life Dr Angus was a Presbyterian and treated Sunday as a Sabbath, a day of rest. He would visit 3 or 4 country patients on a Sunday, taking his children along ‘for the ride’ and to visit with him. Sunday evenings he would play the pianola and sing Scottish songs to his family. One of Dr Angus’ patients was Margaret MacKenzie, author of a book on local shipwrecks that she’d seen as an eye witness from the late 1880’s in Peterborough, Victoria. In the early 1950’s Dr Angus, painted a picture of a shipwreck for the cover jacket of Margaret’s book, Shipwrecks and More Shipwrecks. She was blind in later life and her daughter wrote the actual book for her. Dr Angus and his wife Gladys were very involved in Warrnambool’s society with a strong interest in civic affairs. Their interests included organisations such as Red Cross, Rostrum, Warrnambool and District Historical Society (founding members), Wine and Food Society, Steering Committee for Tertiary Education in Warrnambool, Local National Trust, Good Neighbour Council, Housing Commission Advisory Board, United Services Institute, Legion of Ex-Servicemen, Olympic Pool Committee, Food for Britain Organisation, Warrnambool Hospital, Anti-Cancer Council, Boys’ Club, Charitable Council, National Fitness Council and Air Raid Precautions Group. He was also a member of the Steam Preservation Society and derived much pleasure from a steam traction engine on his farm. He had an interest in people and the community He and his wife Gladys were both involved in the creation of Flagstaff Hill, including the layout of the gardens. After his death (28th March 1970) his family requested his practitioner’s plate, medical instruments and some personal belongings be displayed in the Port Medical Office surgery at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, and be called the “W. R. Angus Collection”.

Significance

The Warrnambool Harbour Board and its records are an integral part of Warrnambool's early history The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool. The collection of medical instruments and other equipment is culturally significant, being an historical example of medicine from late 19th to mid-20th century. Dr Angus assisted Dr Tom Ryan, a pioneer in the use of X-rays and in ocular surgery.

Inscriptions & Markings

Page 1 embossed with mark of Warrnambool Harbour Board.

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Oral History - My earliest memories, by Val Wilson (nee Rolfs)

Key words

greensborough
briar hill
wilson family
val wilson(nee rolfs)

13 p., typescript

Historical information

Reminiscences of growing up in Greensborough and Briar Hill in the 1940s and 1950s, written by GHS member Val Wilson.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Newsletter - May 2008

Mount Alexander Vintage Engine Club Inc., Castlemaine

Letters - Caulfield District Band correspondence

Key words

caulfield district band
victorian amatuer turf club
city of caulfield
city of glen eira

Hand written letters on note paper and Caulfield District Band letterheads.

Historical information

This series of letters highlight the activities of the Caulfield District Band in the late 1920's. The letterhead is elaborate and lists all the patrons and office bearers at the time. They also show how the band gained engagements with various parties by providing a tender for services. The Caulfield District Band survives today as the City of Glen Eira BandInc.

Significance

These letters are representative of the activities of not just this band, but other brass bands. The Caulfield District Band was unique as it was the band of choice for the Caulfield Racecourse as well as the local council.

Victorian Bands' League, Yarraville

Article - Henry Thomas Chappell

Key words

world war 1 project
henry thomas chappell

1 Page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Henry Thomas Chappell and his service in World War 1. At the time of Henry Thomas Chappell's enlistment, he was living at Greensborough.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Article - William Howard

Key words

world war 1 project
william howard

Two pages, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about William Howard and his service in World War 1. William was born in Queenstown (St Andrews) but gave his birthplace as Greensborough,

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

no image

Panorama Cowley's,Morley,Schempps

Key words

ballarat
cowleys
eureka
ironworks

Historical information

This photograph is from the Max Harris Collection held by the Ballaraat Mechanics' Institute. Please contact BMI for all print and usage inquiries.

Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute (BMI Ballarat), Ballarat

Photograph

Inscriptions & Markings

Lindsay Laity Castlemaine High School

Old Castlemaine Schoolboys Association Inc., CASTLEMAINE

no image

Newsletter, City of Moorabbin Historical Society No 5. Vol. 8 June / July 1968 - City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter No. 5 Vol. 8 June / July 1968

Key words

city of moorabbin historical society 1961, sheehy t.a., newsletters, kennedy james;

2 x L 26cm x W 21cm page 1 printed both sides

Historical information

Topic ; Kennedy Cottage; Frankston HS ; Cheltenham Walking Club c1916; Mentone SS; The Aims of the CMHS are ‘to record the history of the City, and register something of the Australian Atmosphere, which the necessary speed-up in post-world-war two (WW11) immigration has caused to be lost; to produce a magazine at regular intervals, featuring the work of pioneers and the changing Australian scene; to work constantly with a long range view towards building a hall where records and exhibits can be housed’ (1961) The Original Newsletters reflect the history and heritage of the former City of Moorabbin — derived from Mooroobin, ‘a resting place’ in the Bunurrung spoken language. In 1994, the City of Moorabbin was integrated into the Cities of Bayside, Glen Eira, Kingston and Monash.

Significance

This is Newsletter No. 5 Vol. 8 of the CMHS June / July 1968 CMHS obtained a Kingston City Council Community Grant 2016 for the digitization and preservation of these Original CMHS Newsletters commenced in 1961

Inscriptions & Markings

CITY OF MOORABBIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY / AFFILIATED WITH THE ROYAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF / VICTORIA AND THE CHELTENHAM ARTS AND CRAFTS SOCIETY/ President Mrs N. Blackman…. Secretary Mrs F.Neville..... / Volume 8 No.5 NEWSLETTER JUNE-JULY 1968

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

Medal - Ballarat School of Mines Hillman Award (medal)

Key words

ballarat school of mines
hillman
lindsay hillman
medal
numismatics
honour blazer
electrical engineering
electronics
hillman medal
hillman award

Bronze medal designed depicting the portrait of Lindsay Hillman. The medal has a copper finish, and is presented in a blue hinged box. The first Hillman Award was presented in 1992. The recipients are: 1992 - Brett A. Hovey 1993 - Nil 1994 - Brent L. Ferguson 1995 - Kirsty McKenzie 1996 - Peter J. White 2000 - Roger Bush 2001 - Thomas Edward George 2002 - Mark William Holden 2003 - David James Hopwood 2004 - Leighton Dunn 2005 - Donald Pirouet 2006 - Mark Irvin 2007 - Ricky Wilson 2008 - Luther Dean 2009 - Daniel Thatcher 2010 - Craig Coulter 2011 - Sarah Draper 2012 - Rhys Hendrickson 2013 - Jayden Hooper

Historical information

Lindsay F.J. Hillman was born in Ballarat in 1910, and attended the Ballarat Junior Technical School. He became a cadet in Electrical Engineering Laboratory at the Ballarat School of Mines where he gained eventually gained a student Teachership for diploma studies at the School. Hillman was particularly active and excelled in a wide range of sporting interests and in student activities. In 1928 and 1928 he was awarded the Ballarat School of Mines Honour blazer by the Old Boys' association for all round athletic ability, leadership and scholarship. After spending two years with the Melbourne City Council Electric Supply Department gaining industrial experience Hillman was awarded his Diploma of electrical engineering in 1931, returning to the School in 1932 to teach apprentices and senior students. Hillman was appointed lecturer in Engineering Design and Graphics in 1937, lecturer in Engineering Design and Civil Engineering in 1944, Lecturer-in-Charge of Mechanical and Civil Engineering in 1948 and Head of the Electrical Engineering Department in 1949, a position he held until his retirement in 1973. In 1975 Lindsay Hillman was appointed to the Council of the Ballarat School of Mines and played an active role in school affairs.As Vice-President of Council from 1981 until his death in 1991 Hillman took a leading part in the implementation of many of the major building projects on the Lydiard Street Campus. The L.F.J. Hillman Award was established by the Ballarat School of Mines Council in conjunction with and through the generosity of the Hillman family in honour of the late Lindsay Frederick John Hillman. The bronze medal was presented annually to an enrolled student in an accredited course in the field of electrical/electronics studies at the Ballarat School of Mines. specific Criteria for the Award consisted of a balance of academic performance, leadership qualities, commitment to further study and involvement in sporting and/or community groups.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Lindsay Hillman Memorial Medal" Verso: "The School of Mines and Industries Ballarat, Est. 1870 Presented to "

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Hold Fast Vol. 1, No. 1. June 1944 - Official magazine of the Williamstown High School

Key words

hold fast
williamstown high school
1944
school magazine

4 page magazine of Williamstown High School 1944 school year. Contains sports results, student work. Editorial by C. Curtain and P. Weate; 'Visit to His Majesty's Australian dockyards,' by Eric Willis.

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

no image

Document

Historical information

Batch of 6 documents containing photos of the Nation family.

Chiltern Athenaeum Trust, Chiltern

Lady's dancing costume Jacket - Γιλέκο στολής βλαχοπούλας

Key words

lady's costume
jacket
greek
βλαχοπούλα
γιλέκο
στολή

Lady's dancing costume Jacket, gold and silver embroidery around edges. It has orange lining of silk material, lace and linen frill sleeve. Whole costume is called "Vlahopoula". Velvet outer. Part "C" of a four piece costume.

Historical information

The full costume used traditionally by ladies in the 16th to 19th century AD. Now used in Greek dances, parades and theatrical performances as a traditional costume.

Significance

Historical significance due to the variety of traditional functions it was used during the 1990's

Plutarch Project, Caulfield Junction

Article - Cyril Edwin Elliott

Key words

world war 1 project
cyril edwin elliott

1 Page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Cyril Edwin Elliott and his service in World War 1. Cyril Elliott was born in Greensborough.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Annual Report - 53rd Report of the Adult Deaf and Dumb Society of Victoria 1937

Key words

l. a. cleveland, edgar h. peacock, c. r. b. james, dr boyd penfold, dr w. j. craig, dr selwyn sutton, f. w. spry, n. armstrong, h bedggood, h. belyea, e. j. l. bremner, r. dow, m. j. hoath, s. g. hobson, g. newnhame. r. noble, g. w. sweetland, ernest j. d. abraham, e. r. empson, douglas abraham, j. m. johnston, h. blackmore, f. williams, f. kendall, w. m. underwood, c. monahan, h. ludbrook

Pink Cover, Size 21.5Hx13.5W, 20 pages

Historical information

The Adult Deaf and Dumb Society of Victoria, now known as Vicdeaf, (the Victorian Deaf Society), was founded in 1884 as the Victorian Society for Promoting the Spiritual and Temporal Welfare of the Adult Deaf and Dumb. The provisional committee being Mr W Bates, Mr J M Bruce, Mr J D Gowan, Mr Edwin Newbiggin, Mr C M Officer, M. L, A., and the Rev. W. Moss. The Adult Deaf and Dumb Mission's objects were: 1. To provide the means for religious worship and instruction for the adult deaf and dumb of Victoria 2. To visit the deaf and dumb in their homes, especially when sick or in distress 3. To assist the deaf and dumb of good character in obtaining suitable employment 4. To provide technical and other education for the adult and dumb 5. To give pecuniary assistance to adult deaf and dumb who are in need

Significance

The Annual Reports of the Adult Deaf and Dumb Society are historically significant providing insight into the history of the evolving Deaf Community in Victoria. They are a annual 'snapshot' of the year with references not only to the progress of the Society but also to the significant people and events within the Deaf Community.

Expression Australia, East Melbourne

Newsletter - The Victorian Deaf - September-October 1931

Key words

ernest j. d. abraham, s. johnson, w. s. bessant, p. dodds, o'gorman, alice smith , h. puddy, e. r. noble, w. d. cook, william skews, victorian school for the deaf, rev dr. hoban, jessie wright,

Vol. 2 No. 5, September-October 1931; Size 21.5cmHx14cmW

Historical information

A bi-monthly magazine published by the Deaf Committee of the Adult Deaf and Dumb Society of Victoria

Significance

'The Victorian Deaf' Newsletter is a significant publication as an historical record giving and insight into the people, activities and events of the Deaf Community in Victoria.

Expression Australia, East Melbourne

Photos Newsletter Articles Memorabila Playbill Special Events - 1992 HTC General Memorabilia - afternoon tea, costume ball, fashion parade, festival parade

Key words

1992
htc general memorabilia
afternoon tea
costume ball
fashion parade
festival parade
40th anniversary

Heidelberg Theatre Company Inc.., Rosanna

no image

Windows on the West 1980's

Key words

williamstown high school
windows on the west
performances
1980's

A letter confirming the Williamstown High School band's performance at the Windows on the West Expo, held from 27th July to 7th August. The WHS band performed on Friday 31st July.

Historical information

The Finn Koren Collection

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Article - Joshua Henry Robinson

Key words

world war 1 project
joshua henry robinson

One page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Joshua Henry Robinson and his service in World War 1. At the time of his enlistment he was working at Mont Park

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Photograph

Historical information

Batch of 21 photos relating to the Schlue family including Frank, Fred Blacklock, Norman Rankin Springhurst, Clara and Fred Rankin, the Rose River Bridge, Norong Wine Cella and Pine Grove Norong.

Chiltern Athenaeum Trust, Chiltern