Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Talking Shop: Ballarat in Business and City Life at Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

27 Jun 2019

Curated By

Amy Tsilemanis, Curator, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

114189 items with images

close

114189 items with images

Photograph (police car)

Victoria Police Museum, Docklands

Copy of newspaper clipping of new Daimler patrol car with unidentified driver and two passengers, registration number 114 427, circa 1931. This was the last 35HP 6 cylinder version purchased. Photo shows spot light, aerial tubing on roof, Police sign, and sideways facing front spot lights

Photograph - Excavation of dwelling, 1979

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital file

Historical information

14 Stokes Place (Lot 83) was the home of Peter and Carla Vermey. The land was purchased in May 1979 and construction commenced September 1979. The home was built by Peter and Carla Vermey after the developer, Macquarie Builders went bankrupt. Sold October 2017 by Morrison and Kleeman Real Estate. Stokes Place was part of the Stokes Orchard Estate which was developed from the break-up of the the orchard owned by Frank Stokes who lived on the northeast corner of Nyora Road and Eucalyptus Road. His daughter Beryl advised that the Shire had levied a rate assessment on individual parcels of land within the orchard which became unaffordable resulting in its sub-division and sell off. The Stokes Orchard Estate was developed by Macquarie Builders in two stages starting with stage 1 in 1976. Stokes Place was part of Stage 2 in 1979. The Estate was bounded between Nyora Road, Eucalyptus Road, Diosma Road and Stokes Place. The original orchard only just reached the left most portions of Stokes Place and did not go fully up to Diosma, rather to just beyond the extant of Stokes Place. Stokes Place was known within the family as "The Oats" as that is where they grew oats. Frank Stokes moved to Eltham c.1945 after visiting Harold Bird to view his orchard, located diagonally opposite Stokes Orchard from the intersection of Eucalyptus Road, Pitt Street and Nyora Road. It was on Harold Bird's recommendation that Frank purchased the land.

Significance

The Stokes Orchard Estate collection is typical of housing developments of the late 1970s and 1980s. It was one of the earliest estates in Eltham following the nearby Woodridge Estate development.

Inscriptions & Markings

Scanned by EDHS from 49 x 35mm colour transparencies provided on loan

Photograph - Towards Braidwood

The 69 Collective,

Blurred vision of a tree against brown landscape and blue/grey sky.

Significance

This artwork is part of 69Fifteen, the book published in 2013 celebrating 69 Smith Street Gallery’s 15th year in operation as an artist-run space.

RFD canister

Seaworks Maritime Museum, Williamstown

RFD White metal canister.

Inscriptions & Markings

"RFD' on nozzel. Engraved in top of canister, 'R.F.D AS2875 6573 P87 ASAHI/ ETN-11878 (logo) 7-88 TP20. 7MPa/ WC5.10KG TARE6.09KG. Printed down vertically on canister: EMPTY WT 6.800KG/GAS002 WT 2.500KG/GASN2 WT 0.160KG/GROSSWT9.460KG. 'Port Melb' written in red marker on top of nozzel.

Photograph - Heritage Excursion; Laughing Waters, Laughing Waters Road, Eltham, 7 Sep 2013

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Historical information

LAUGHING WATERS WALK This excursion was a follow up to the Laughing Waters Story told to us by Jane Woollard at our Annual General Meeting in March 2013. It involved a walk commencing from the corner of Laughing Waters and Overbank Roads along Laughing Waters Road to its eastern end and returning partly over the same route - a total distance of about 2.5km. On the way we visited the two artist in residence properties to view the houses on them that are associated with Alistair Knox, Gordon Ford and others in the local mud brick and artistic community. An unexpected afternoon tea was offered to us by the artists in residence and we had a brief opportunity to view inside one of the houses.

Prize dish

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

Silver and glass bowl inscribed: CALIFORNIA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP/1931/MENS DOUBLES/WINNER/E. VINES-K.GLEDHILL'. Stamped into base: 'INTERNATIONAL STERLING/379' Materials: Metal, Glass

Hat

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Vietnam floppy

Photograph - Heritage Excursion; The 1901 Eltham Railway Walk, 3 May 2014

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Historical information

Newsletter No. 216, May 2014 May Excursion – The 1901 Eltham Railway Walk The railway from Heidelberg to Eltham was opened in 1902. Over the previous year railway construction cut a curving swathe through Josiah Holloway’s 1851 Little Eltham subdivision. The survey plans for the railway show the owners and occupiers of land within Little Eltham affected by the railway alignment and for some distance each side. The plans show houses and other buildings but development at that time was rather sparse. Copies of these plans from the State Library of Victoria collection have been provided to the Society by Alan Sheehan. For our walk on 3rd May we intend to follow the railway from the Eltham Station to Ryans Road, which was the boundary of the adjoining Montmorency Farm. The return will be by way of nearby streets. Along the way we will discuss the details shown on the railway plans as well as more recent railway documents and photographs. At the conclusion and if time permits we can inspect the historical display at the Eltham Station. The walk is about 3 km in length and will take about 2.5 hours. It will start at 2 pm at the Eltham Railway Station car park (east/Main Road side) (Melway Ref. 21 J5).

Business card - Watsonia Wool Shop

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Business card, black print on green

Historical information

Established 1999, the business closed about 2016.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Contact Elizabeth", telephone number and address. "Carol" and telephone number handwritten on reverse.

corset

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A corset made of apricot / pink cotton fabric embroidered with flowers in the same colour. It has whalebone stays, and laces through metal eyelets. This corset is similar to 822 in the collection. It is size 33 and manufactured by Jenyns.

Historical information

Worn by Marjorie McKeown (nee Ford)

Inscriptions & Markings

Size 33, Jenyns Patent Corsetry (manufacturer)

Book

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

Book: 'THE EDUCATION OF A TENNIS PLAYER'. Hardcover with dustjacket. Copyrighted 1971. Third printing. Materials: Ink, Paper, Cardboard

Photograph - colour - Former Ballarat Brewery Chimney, 2008

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Certificate - Kinnane First Aid Certificate 1954

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Historical information

David Kinnane was the leader of a Victorian Railways First Aid team that won many state and interstate competitions. Other members of the team were: Geoffrey Storey and Joe Deveson. The Victorian Railways used to hold first aid competitions with groups of men competing in teams.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signatures: David J Kinnane; W Blackburn VICTORIAN RAILWAYS - AMBULANCE ORGANISATION - Certificate of Proficiency This is to certify that David J Kinnane has passed his 13th year examination in the First Aid to the injured. Melbourne 1954 W Blackburn - Ambulance Officer

Publication - Australian stingless bees: a guide to sugarbag beekeeping. (Klumpp, J.). West End, 2007

Beechworth Honey Archive, Beechworth

Uniform Complete

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Army Officers Dress Uniform

Book - The Royal Readers

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a hard cover book of 186 pages. The cover was originally a dark blue-green colour but it is much faded and is now almost detached from the binding. The spine and several pages at the beginning and the end are missing. The text contains many black and white illustrations and some have been coloured in. Some of the pages are torn and stained. There is much scribble on the front and back covers. The inscriptions are handwritten in black ink.

Historical information

This book is one of the series of Royal Readers (Scotland) introduced into schools in Victoria in 1877 to replace the Irish Readers. They were in use until the 1920s and at first contained mostly British material (as does this copy which has no Australian content and features many articles on animals). By the late 19th century the Royal Readers used in Victoria contained some Australian material and it is presumed that this copy is an early edition. The Bonnett families were associated with farming in the Mepunga area and Jessie Edith Bonnett, the daughter of Frederick Bonnett and Charity Bonnett (nee Phillips) was born in Allansford in 1897. Jessie Bonnett spent her life on the family farm at Mepunga and was the last of the Bonnett families in that area. Mepunga East State School was established in 1886 with Ruth Broadway as the first Head Teacher. It has now closed.

Significance

This book, though tattered, is of interest as an example of the Royal Readers used by pupils in Victorian schools in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It is also important as a book belonging to Jessie Bonnett, a member of the Bonnett family of farmers in the Mepunga area. The Warrnambool and District Historical Society holds in its collection some other items that belonged to Jessie Bonnett, including an important World War One scrapbook

Inscriptions & Markings

‘Jessie Edith Bonnett, Mepunga East State School No. 2762’

Book - Stories of England

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a hard cover book of 190 pages. The cover, once blue but now very faded, had embossed lettering and ornamentation on the front cover but these are now almost indecipherable. The book has come apart from the spine and has been re-stitched with white thread. There is much scribble on the first and last pages with the decipherable inscriptions being handwritten in black ink and pencil. There is a blue stamp of the Warrnambool and District Historical Society on the first page. The text has many black and white illustrations with some coloured in by the users. Many of the text pages are torn, stained and scribbled on.

Historical information

This book has been used by children of the Giles family at the Wangoom State School. William and Allan Giles were members of the Giles family that lived on the Allansford Road. Wangoom School, no. 645 was opened in 1865 on the Warrnambool/Wangoom Road as Wangoom Common School. It became Wangoom State School after 1872 and is now closed.

Significance

This book is of interest as an example of the reading books used by children in Victoria late in the 19th century. The book contains stories about England and the British Empire but has no Australian content. The book is also of interest as it was used by children of the Giles family, early settlers in the Warrnambool district.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘William E. Giles, State (ed. word missing) Wangoom’ ‘Allan Giles’

Medals - F.E. .James

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Medals- Royal Navy - F.F. James 14-15 Str, War Medal, Victory Medal, King George silver Jubilee, Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

Ladle

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Centre of ladle is Beaten copper with smooth edge and twisted copper handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Weeda Tasmania"

Commemorative Trowel

Loreto Australia and South-East Asia, Ballarat

Silver engraved commemorative trowel with ivory handle.

Historical information

Presented to the Bishop of Ballarat, Dr. James Moore, when he laid the foundation stone for the new schoolroom/residential wing at Loreto Mary's Mount.

Significance

A decorative artefact manufactured by an early Ballarat jeweller. Records the early building and expansion of Mary's Mount.

Inscriptions & Markings

Presented by the Architect to The Very Rev'd J. Moore D.D.V.G. on the occasion of his laying the foundation stone fo the Loretto Convent Ballarat 8th Dec'r 1881

Photograph - Eltham Living and Learning Centre

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph

Historical information

Eltham Living and Learning Centre activities

Soldiers pose with bulldog mascot, broadmeadows camp

Magnet Galleries Melbourne Inc, Melbourne

Hand Made Scissor Pouch - Scissor Pouch

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Scissor Pouch

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Coloured photograph of "Widgee"

Historical information

"Widgee" was once run by Mrs Emily Spavin (nee McFee), Findlay Street, Cowes.

Dairy Equipment, doiley

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A crocheted doily with a teapot pattern and green beads at edges to keep it in place when protecting contents of a jug or cup

000231 - Photograph - Search of Tullaree after Margaret Clement disappeared - Neighbour Stanley Livingston - Age

Inverloch Historical Society, Inverloch

Books - New Skills for Designers

RMIT Design Archives, MELBOURNE

Historical information

Book was produced for the seminar "New Skills for Designers", October 4 1968, in Melbourne, Australia. First published by William J. Mitchell as honours thesis for B.Arch (Hons) Melbourne University.

Photograph - Eltham shops, Main Road, c.1985

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Historical information

[Note: dated based on negatives 01791 (20 Jan 1986) as service station (in other frames on roll of film) and pricing for fuel very similar period; possibly late 1985]

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak CL 200 5093

Oil Painting - June Byford

The Dunmoochin Foundation, Cottles Bridge

Portrait of a woman with light short hair wearing an orange shirt with multi-coloured jumper against a white background.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed lower centre 'June Byford May 26 '77'.

Book - Pompey Elliott

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Very thick, medium sized paperback

Historical information

Major General Howard Edward Elliott, Dux of School 1897, had an illustrious career in the army and in politics. He served on the Ballarat College Council 1926-31. The school has a house named in his honour.