Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Collecting Fire: A new kind of practice

7 Feb 2019

“While museums have traditionally aspired to collect “the real thing” and to create repositories of tangible evidence of our collective past, the essence of this project and its emerging collection was in making real the intangible through personal stories, symbols, and metaphors – giving form to matters of the heart. A new kind of museum practice was therefore needed.” - Sites of Trauma: Contemporary Collecting and Natural Disaster

Curated By

Lauren McAlary, Veterans Heritage Project Manager

111643 items with images

close

111643 items with images

Photograph - Looking west along Bridge Street and across intersection at Main Road, Eltham, February 1968

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph

Significance

In February 1968 an unknown person took a series of photos from the Eltham Hotel at Pitt Street heading north along Main Road through the shopping centre to just north of Elsa Court covering the length of the section of Main Road which was duplicated shortly thereafter. Shows the condition and environment of the streesscape of Main Road, Eltham immediately prior to the duplication between Pitt Street and Elsa Court through the shopping centre. Also shows a number of shops and businesses that operated at that time.

Badges - Anzac Day

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

Three circular slightly concave metal badges featuring the profile of an Australian soldier in a slouch hat blowing a bugle. The background depicts sunrise in yellow and orange colours and text. The outer edge is gold coloured . The reverse has a metal clip.

Historical information

These badges were produced in World War One in Australia to raise funds for the war effort. ANZAC Day is an important national holiday in Australia commemorating the landing of Australian and New Zealand troops on Gallipoli on 25th April 1915. The national day was instituted on 25th April 1916 and badges such as these would have been sold on the anniversary of the landing day. Badges were sold on trams, buses, at railway stations, other public buildings and at rallies held on or about ANZAC Day.

Significance

These badges are a significant reminder of the many fund raising activities held in Australia to raise funds for the war effort.

Inscriptions & Markings

ANZAC DAY

Tea cosy

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Tea cosy knitted by Vera Neale in the 1950s.

Historical information

The knitter was Vera Neale,1901 - 1990. Married with three children, Vera knitted with one and two ply wool, often using piano wire or bicycle spokes as needles, entering the garments in agricultural shows in Victoria and New South Wales.

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph of a display featuring the Sunbury Pop festival put together by one of the local schools.

Historical information

At the 150th Anniversary celebrations held in Sunbury in August 1986, local schools were invited to mount displays which depicted the nhistory of Sunbury. The Special School in Sunbury chose to do a display about the Sunbury Pop Festival.

Postcard - Moyne Bridge

Port Fairy Historical Society Museum and Archives, Port Fairy

Postcard

Photograph - Flooding of Diamond Creek at Lower Eltham Main Road bridge, Nov 2004

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Two colour photographs of the flooded Diamond Creek at the Lower Eltham Main Road bridge in Nov 2004

Scan of Photograph - Church of England Grammar School Athletic Team 1933 Runners Up

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Formal sepia photo of athletics team mounted on grey card with darker grey border. Title and crest above photograph, with names of students underneath.

Inscriptions & Markings

Title and crest above photograph "Church of England Grammar School" Below photograph "Athletic team, 1933 -- Runners Up" and names of students. 18 signatures on verso

Photograph

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Photograph of Ship's figurehead

Building - Church

Old Gippstown, Moe

A small timber church, containing an entrance area, congregation area, vestry and a small store room. The main part of the church is rectangular, but the smaller rooms give the building a 'T' shape. The roof is 'A' framed and is corrugated iron. There are three crosses on the roof; one on the entrance and two on the main building; one on the front and one at the rear. There is a bell in the yard, which is fenced with a picket fence.

Shell Casings

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Shell Casing ZSU23 Russian shell cases. 23mm. 2 of

Book - Golden days on the Caledonian diggings / Mick Woiwod.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

69 pages, illus.

Historical information

This book contains the diaries of Thomas Young, 1859-1866 and 1895-1900, based in Kangaroo Ground, Panton Hill and Christmas Hills. Explanatory notes, interpretation etc by Mick Woiwod.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed by author on title page.

Manufactured Glass, bottle 'BISMAG' antacid tablets

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A clear glass bottle with a metal screw top lid containing ‘ BISMAG’ Antacid tablets 60 x 5grain.

Historical information

The Wyeth company was founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1860 as John Wyeth and Brother. Its headquarters moved to Collegeville, Pennsylvania and Madison, New Jersey, before its headquarters were consolidated with Pfizer's in New York City after the 2009 merger. Early in 1913, the Year Before the Great War, 'Bisurated' Magnesia, a Convenient and Effective Treatment for Stomach Disorders, was Perfected at Bismag Ltd London. The Wyeth Company global sales increased due to the sales of Wyeth's Kolynos brand of toothpaste. Wyeth probably purchased Bismag Ltd c 1950

Inscriptions & Markings

Front: This bottle contains / 60 5gr. compressed tablets / BISMAG / ‘BISURATED’ MAGNESIA / TABLETS / An antacid compound for / digestion and stomach troubles / DOSE / ………. / WYETH CHEMICAL CO., SYDNEY / Incorporated in U.S.A. /Successors to Bismag Ltd. London. Back: Bismag neutralises hyper-acidity / ……..

Tournament Programme

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

Programme of the National Doubles Lawn Tennis Championships Materials: Paper, Ink

Book - The Quiet hills

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

40 p., illus.

Historical information

A brief history of the Arthur's Creek area.

Inscriptions & Markings

W. A. Partington

Certificate (Framed) - ASPIRE Certificate of Appreciation presented to Diamond Valley Community Hospital 1995.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Certificate printed on cream paper, in black frame

Historical information

ASPIRE was an organisation that supported people with disabilities in the workplace. This certificate was presented to Diamond Valley Community Hospital for its support of such programs. Diamond Valley Community Hospital (DVCH) was located in Grimshaw Street Grimshaw from mid-20th century until its closure in 2000.

Significance

This indicates the 'community' aspect of Diamond Valley Community Hospital and its participation in community activities.

Photograph - colour - Buggy

Victorian Interpretive Projects Inc., Redan, 3350

Colour photograph of a 4 wheeled buggy in the Bon Accord Museum, Burra, South Australia.

Calendar - Wool promotional calendar 1959-1960

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Illustrated calender promoting Australian Wool Bureau activities and deadlines 1959-1960.

Historical information

Illustrated calender promoting Australian Wool Bureau activities and deadlines 1959-1960.

Inscriptions & Markings

MISS D FRIZON/ 8.8.1990

Photograph - High Street (Kew), circa 1900

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small inscribed (later) copy of High Street from Kew Junction

Inscriptions & Markings

"High Street Looking Up From Kew Junction"

AMMUNITION

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

Ordnance items .1) shell .2) shell .3) 5 x .303 casings in clip.

Historical information

Items collected by James Worland Mills No 3441 59th Batt AIF. Refer 169P.

Minutes Book - Melbourne illustrated & Victoria described

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a hard cover book of 38 pages. The cover is blue with gold lettering and gold ornamentation on the front and back covers. There are two sepia-coloured photographs of Melbourne at the front of the book and two blue stamps of the Warrnambool and District Historical Society at the front and the back of the book. The pages of the book have become detached from the binding. The inscription at the front of the book is handwritten in purple ink.

Historical information

This book was given to Henry Huntingdon Smith in 1918 by a grateful sister of a soldier killed in World War One. Private Percy Palmer was listed as coming from the Warrnambool area even though his enlistment place was given as Bannockburn. H.H.Smith (1857-1941) is an important figure in Warrnambool’s history. He had a bakery business at the corner of Lava and Fairy Streets. He was a Warrnambool Councillor and Mayor, a Hospital Committee member for 39 years, a Methodist church office-bearer and an active worker for the welfare of local returned soldiers. It was said that he greeted every returning soldier at the Warrnambool Railway Station. Mrs Sharpe was one of those who benefited from his solicitude and kindness.

Significance

This is book is of antiquarian interest but more importantly it is a lovely memento of Henry Smith’s untiring concern for local soldiers returning from World War One and for their family members.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘Melbourne, Aug. 28, 1918, To Mr H. Smith as a small token for kindness shown on behalf of my dear late brother, Private Percy Palmer from N. Sharpe.’

Print NCO QUAL (RAAMC) - Name: 11’63 ARA(RAAMC) Junior NCO QUAL 23APR – 31 MAY

RSL Waverley Sub Branch , Glen Waverley

Description: Black and white photograph gloss print mounted in celluloid sheet and stapled through the photograph. Damage to photo from tape having been stuck on photo at some stage and then removed damaging he surface of the photo in all four corners. There is also past damage to various parts of the photo from droplets of water or some other fluid. Size: 25cm x 19.8cm Print has been re-photographed and digitally repaired for display (19th September 2012 by: John Dix) Saved as Restored.bmp at highest practical resolution

Historical information

Name: 11’63 ARA(RAAMC) Junior NCO QUAL 23APR – 31 MAY Healseville Victoria

Inscriptions & Markings

Name: 11’63 ARA(RAAMC) Junior NCO QUAL 23APR – 31 MAY

Prince of Wales Mine print

Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute (BMI Ballarat), Ballarat

Historical information

This photograph is from the Max Harris Collection held by the Ballaraat Mechanics' Institute. Please contact BMI for all print and usage inquiries.

Medal - Medal (George VI Coronation)

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a silver-coloured medal commemorating the Coronation of King George VI of England. One side has the heads of King George and Queen Elizabeth surrounded by wording and the other side has the name of the Warrnambool store issuing the medal. The medal is tarnished. A piece of green string is attached to the hook at the top of the medal.

Historical information

This medal has been issued to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI of England in 1937. It was issued by a department store in Warrnambool, that of Cramond and Dickson. This business was established by John Glass Cramond and James Dickson in Timor Street, Warrnambool in 1855. It moved to Liebig Street at the corner of Timor Street and sold mens and ladies wear. It had its own tailors and milliners and the building was a landmark one in Warrnambool for over 100 years. It closed in 1973. In 1937 the business of Cramond and Dickson was 82 years old.

Significance

This medal is of great interest as it shows the level of fervor for British Royalty and all things British that was prevalent in Warrnambool in the 1930s. The Cramond and Dickson business was one of the most important ones in Warrnambool’s history as it operated for over 100 years.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘King George VI Queen Elizabeth Coronation 1937’ ‘Cramond & Dickson Warrnambool 1855-1937’ ‘P.J.King’

Artefact - Mayoral Chains - City of Geelong

City of Greater Geelong, Geelong

SAVE OUR TAFE (TAFE4ALL) badge

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Round metal badge; pin on back. Yellow and red background; TAFE4ALL logo; black and white lettering - "SAVE OUR TAFE".

Historical information

The save TAFE campaign originated in 2012 when Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu announced funding cuts, institutional closures and course cuts in the TAFE sector. The campaign against these changes was particularly passionate in Ballarat with several large rallies. The Ballarat community had its own campaign committee. The Australian Education Union and the National Tertiary Education Union co-partnered in the campaign.

Significance

Unions' history and activism. Politics - Victorian Government. Education - TAFE sector.

Farm Equipment, Horse Collar

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

Horse Collar large

Photograph - Crowe, Thomas Augustine Mayor 1943,1952,1963

Port Fairy Historical Society Museum and Archives, Port Fairy

Black & white portrait photograph

Dolls Furniture

Queenscliffe Maritime Museum, Queenscliff

One piece porcelain dolls furniture (chamber pot) and one other piece dolls furniture (broken) from "Loch Ard"

Tennis racquet and press

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Racquet - wooden frame, gut strings all intact, leather grip Racquet press - wooden frame with metal spring attachment on each side that can be tightened. Regular tetrahedral shape

Inscriptions & Markings

Racquet - on shaft both sides Gray’s of Cambridge. Made in England by Gray’s. Cambridge craftsmen, symbol of a shield on front under the head, on back under the head symbol G Press - Dunlop Matchmaster on both sides

album

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A brown rectangular shaped photo album On front is a print of three large pink/red dahlia flowers. It has a pasted on label - GRANNY HOSSACKS CARDS. It has plastic sheets inside with a collection of cards sent to Granny Hossack -Christmas, funeral, New Year. On first page is a hand-written history of James Hossack and his wife Penuel.

Historical information

James Hossack and his wife, Penuel, arrived from Scotland to Geelong on Christmas Day 1852. "Granny" Hossack was born in 1821 and died in 1921 within two months of a century. James and Penuel had one daughter, Penuel who married Robert Pullar Cameron at Orbost. They had two sons, James(1858) and George(1860). James Hossack and his wife, Penuel, arrived from Scotland to Geelong on Christmas Day 1852. The Hossacks travelled to Australia on the "Ann Thompson"

Significance

The Hossack family was a prominent Orbost family with strong ties to the Presbyterian Church in Orbost. This item is a part of the Hossack family history.