Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Talking Shop: Ballarat in Business and City Life at Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

27 Jun 2019

Curated By

Amy Tsilemanis, Curator, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

115778 items with images

close

115778 items with images

Medallion Anzac Commorative

Waverley RSL Sub Branch , Glen Waverley

Bronze Commorative Medallion in Case showing Pcture of "Simpson and his Donkey Medallion glued in case with letter from Australian Army (d/0030a) X2

Inscriptions & Markings

1915 ANZAC

Badge

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

2 yellow shield shaped card badges with tan satin ribbon.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Methodist Babies' Home HELPER"

MEDAL SET

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

Medals, court Mounted, set of (3) Re Nurse- sister F. Killicoat. 1. 1914-15 Star. 2. War Medal 1914-19. 3. Victory Medal.

Historical information

Frances Madge Killicoat enlisted on 5.11.15 in the Australian Army Nursing Service. She was discharged from the AIF on her marriage to Capt S.O.Coen AAMC on 18.11.18. She had 5 brothers in the AIF, one DOW's and one awarded a DCM.

Inscriptions & Markings

1. "Nurse/Sister F.M Killicoat, ANS A.F 2. "S - Nurse F.M Killicoat A.I.F" 3. "Sister F.M Killicoat A.I.F"

Butter Worker

Anglesea and District Historical Society, Anglesea

Wooden with cast iron gearing components and round butter worker is hand operated. The rotary butter worker has a round tray carved from wood. Protruding upwards from the centre of the tray is a column with arched top. The column has a small square outlet on one side near the base that provides for excess buttermilk to be drained away. Around the circumference of the butter worker protruding outwards from the sides is a thick cast-iron track. The wooden paddle has a unique curved shape that has a wave appearance. It has a slight arch which forces the butter to remain in the tray and to direct any excess buttermilk to the centre. Through the wooden paddle is an iron rod connected to a crank handle. By turning the handle the rod rotates a gear system that leads the table to rotate on the metal track.

Inscriptions & Markings

Side: CHERRY'S PATENT NO. 1 GISBORNE VICTORIA 4407 Etched into upper arm of wooden frame.

Bottle of Camphorated Oil

Deaf Children Australia, Melbourne

Six sided triangular brown bottle with screw cap, with oil. Label indicates Camphorated Oil bought from Frederick Lee & Sons.

Historical information

Camphor oil has been used for centuries to treat a plethora of ailments. It can act as an antiseptic, pain reliever, antidepressant and even a stimulant. Camphor oil has been used as an ingredient in smelling salts for years, as well. Its most common use is for the relief of arthritic and rheumatic aches and pains, skin ailments, colds and back pain. Camphor absorbs easily into the skin and produces a cooling, soothing effect. There are also references to the treatment of ear infections.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on label "ear drops & rub on". "POISONOUS:-Not to be taken/CAMPHORATED OIL/Caution: To be used with care and strickly in accordance with the directions./FREDERICK LEE & SONS/(Horace L.Lee)/Resident Chemists & Foot Specialists./103 Greville Street, Prahran, S.1/PHONE LA 1038" on front label. "NOT TO BE TAKEN" imprinted on the glass

Certificate

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Red coloured stiff paper certificate with black printed text and sketches. Black ink handwritten personalised text to C.W. Peel for best corriedale wool sample. Heading at top of certificate above the Australian coat of arms and sketch of horse and cow heads.

Historical information

Certificate awarded to Mr. Charles Wilson Peel for the best sample of Corriedale ewe or wether fleece at the annual show for the Geelong Agricultural and Pastoral Society, 1973. The certificate is undated. Mr Peel owned a superfine merino stud at Gnawarre named Callenondah.

Untitled

The Foundling Archive,, Brunswick East

Historical information

This item is part of the R. Owen series and the Jack Collection. It depicts aspects Australian life in the 1970's.

Microfiche - Index Early Church Records 1/1/1837 to 30/6/1853

Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen

small sheet of film

Belt

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Belt webbing khaki trouser thin

Bottle, glass

Coal Creek Community Park & Museum, Korumburra

Rectangular clear glass bottle with text embossed on base.

Inscriptions & Markings

'M'

Bandolier

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Shortened from 9 pouches. 1903 Pattern, used by the Light Horse. Horse neck mounted. (incomplete)

Book, Knitting - Villawool Knitting Book no. 67

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

This knitting pattern book was published by the Villawood Textile Company, Sydney and contains knitting patterns for womens knitted garments.

Inscriptions & Markings

Villawool / KNITTING BOOK / No. 67 / 1'9 / "FACADE" See p. 6

Boots, Leather

Montmorency/Eltham RSL Sub Branch, Montmorency

Brown WW2 Australian Army boots size 5/6 with leather laces, hobnailed leather sole with steel toe and heel plates

Historical information

Typical WW2 Australian army boots used throughout all areas of Australian Army involvement.

Inscriptions & Markings

R^P 1945 6 5

Oral History - Waites Family by Jack Waites

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

3 typed pages.

Historical information

Jack Waites tells the story of his family's move to the 'safety' of the family's Briar Hill holiday house in 1940, the family home in Hailes Street and his marital home in William Street Greensborough. Jack remembers many locals from his time in Greensborough.

Significance

A primary source recollection of Greensborough in the mid to late 20th century.

lace pieces X 2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Two triangles of lace cut from a larger piece, machine made, floral and leaf decoration

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Annual Report - Annual Reports

Murrumbeena Cricket Club, Murrumbeena

All annual reports from 1945 to present. Some pre 1945 reports re-created from newspaper articles

Magazine

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

ITF World magazine, Winter 2003 Materials: Paper, Ink

Plaster Relief - Untitled

Montsalvat, Eltham

Square plaster relief depicting a male and female nude in front of a cross motif.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

The Soviet Air Force at War - Book

Ringwood RSL Sub-Branch, Ringwood

Hat Utility, Jungle Green (Giggle Hat)

Montmorency/Eltham RSL Sub Branch, Montmorency

Hat Utility, Jungle Green known by Australian soldiers colloquially as a Giggle Hat.

Inscriptions & Markings

(Patch inside) A.G.C.F. 1978 SIZE 54 8405 66 021 3023 NO. NAME (Separate patch sewn on) AMY BROWN

Book

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

The Victoria Government Gazette 1884 1 Vol 67

Program Photos Newsletter Articles - The prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Jay Presson Allen adapted from the novel by Muriel Spark directed by Alastair Sharp

Heidelberg Theatre Company Inc.., Rosanna

Photograph - Colour - Items in the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2017

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photograph of an electric waiter call box in the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall.

Image - Black and White - Alfred Lester

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Black and white portrait on a bearded man - Alfred Lester

Book - First Aid to the Injured

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

First Aid to the Injured

PHOTOGRAPH

Clunes Museum, Clunes

BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPH MOUNTED ON CARDBOARD OF SOUTH CLUNES SCHOOL CIRCA 1878

Historical information

PHOTOGRAPH OF THE SOUTH CLUNES SCHOOL BEFORE IT WAS CLOSED.

Glass Test Tubes - Small

Ballarat Base Hospital Trained Nurses League, Ballarat

Sturt St Montage

Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute (BMI Ballarat), Ballarat

Historical information

This photograph is from the Max Harris Collection held by the Ballaraat Mechanics' Institute. Please contact BMI for all print and usage inquiries.

Booklet - The Main Corner- Mount Gambier

Adam Lindsay Gordon Commemorative Committee ,

Straps

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Pattern 37 Equipment straps