Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Talking Shop: Ballarat in Business and City Life at Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

27 Jun 2019

Curated By

Amy Tsilemanis, Curator, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

114047 items with images

close

114047 items with images

Shipbuilders Model - SS Omrah

Seaworks Maritime Museum, Williamstown

A large ship builder's model of the 'SS Omrah' an Orient Line one funnel passenger steamer of 1899. The model is displayed in a large glass and polished timber case on legs.

Historical information

The original ship was built in Glasgow in 1899 by Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Co for the Orient Line. It was the largest Orient Line passenger ship completed in the nineteenth century and was the third vessel of the Line to bear the famous “O” prefix, which was traditional through to the last ship, the mighty 'Oriana'. Her dimensions were 8,130 gross tons, length 490.6ft x beam 56.6ft (149.50 x 17.22m). She had one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 18½ knots. Her maiden voyage from London, via Suez, to Melbourne and Sydney commenced on 3rd February 1899. She was the largest British flag ship sailing to Australia at the time and continued to regularly sail between London, Melbourne and Sydney throughout her life. She last sailed as a passenger ship between Melbourne and Sydney on the 3rd November 1916. During World War I, she was converted to a troopship and was used to transport soldiers and assist with military operations. She was torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB-52, 40 nautical miles (74km) off the coast of Sardinia in the 12 May 1918. She was on her return journey from Alexandria to Marseilles with six other transports, carrying troops of the 52nd and 74th divisions when she was lost, resulting in one casualty.

Significance

Her maiden voyage brought her to Melbourne in 1899. The ship carried the first Australian troops from Brisbane to WWI in September 1914.

Inscriptions & Markings

2 Plaques at foot of model: "MODEL/ OF TWIN SCREW STEAMER/ "OMRAH"/ BUILT FOR/ ORIENT STEAM NAVIGATION CO LTD/ BY/ THE FAIRFIELD SHIPBUILDING & engineering CO LTD/ DIMENSIONS/ 507-0X56-9X37-6MLD/ GROSS TONNAGE 8291 TONS SPEED 18 1/2 KNOTS on boat: "OMRAH"

Photograph - 'Pretty Corner' FiveWays c1911

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Oval photo, landscape view. Mountjoy on hill. Side view of the Post Office with residence showing the fence and a sign. Two children on Ridge Road and two girls outside the Methodist Church, which is not in view.

Bayonet

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

1907 pattern, Bayonet, Lee Enfield Manufaceture 1923. (Scabbard used in WW1 Webbing)

T Model Ford, Grease Caps

Arapiles Historical Society, Natimuk

Brochure

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

A brochure clipping featuring an advertisement for Spalding 'Slocum' tennis racquets on one side; and an advertisement for Partridge 'American Tate' tennis racquets, on the other side. Materials: Paper, Ink

HELMET, PITH

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

British pattern Pith Helmet, khaki coloured cotton cloth with brown leather strap over the top. Large quantity of hand written names on top. Inside rim has green felt lining. Dome section is plaited red silk with manufacturer's label at crest. Hat band is brown leather.

Historical information

This hat was sent home to Laanecoorie, from Malaya, in 1941 by Driver Cyril John Johnson VX36298, 1 Coy A.A.S.C whilst a POW. Cyril enlisted in the 2nd AIF on 17.6.1940 age 22 years 2 months. Posted to 8th Div Petrol Coy Seymour 25.7.1940, hospital 12.8.1940 with Mumps, rejoin unit 31.8.1940, embark for overseas 2.2.1941, disembark Singapore 19.2.1941. He is listed as missing on 16.2.1942 and later listed as POW in a Thai Camp no date. (He was on the Burma Railway) Last entry on his records states Presumed to be dead 12.9.1944 SWPA. (South West Pacific Area) He with hundreds of others were on the Japanese prison ship Rakuyo Maru to Japan when it was sunk by an American submarine.

Inscriptions & Markings

On top written in pen & ink: Many army numbers & names of soldiers and some dignitaries.. On top written in ink: To Dad etc from Cyril.

Form 3A 1962

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Black and white photograph of Williamstown High School form 3A of 1962.

Inscriptions & Markings

See image above.

Document, notes - Proposals from J.L.C.

Melbourne Legacy, Melbourne

5 quarto carbon copies, black on white, two punched holes for filing.

Historical information

Notes from the meeting of the Junior Legatee Committee held on 28 September 1942 reveal how Legatees perceived the need to establish a residence for juniors. The notes detail the type of residence which would be appropriate, and how it should be funded and run in broad outline. These views were informed by an interview with the Headmaster of Box Hill Grammar School, a co-educational boarding school.

Significance

It is interesting to note the different attitudes towards boys and girls at that time; girls required sewing and music rooms to replace the workshop and gym for the boys. The impetus to provide safe accommodation for children exemplify Legacy values.

Inscriptions & Markings

Pages 4 and 5 hand written numbers '4' and '3' Date on Page 1 underlined in pen.

Thomastown Wesleyan Cemetery

City of Whittlesea, South Morang

Cemetery is located off High Street Thomastown. Official address is 1w Stewart Street Thomastown. The Wesleyan Church and schoolhouse were built in 1854. The cemetery was laid at out at the rear. The cemetery runs along the grounds of the Thomastown Primary School.The last burial was 1955. The Cemetery is maintained by Whittlesea Council.

BACKPACK - Standard Army Issue Webbing

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

Large backpack made of green denim with webbing straps, metal buckles, inside has a waterproof layer.

Gravy tureen

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

White gravy tureen with blue rose design. Gold fluted edge. Decorative handles on base and lid. Plus spoon with decorative handle.

Historical information

Wedding gift to Mr. & Mrs. Wilms, 5th January 1910. (Dorothy Adamson's parents).

Theatre program - A Doll's House (play) by Henrik Ibsen adapted by Ray Lawler performed by the Melbourne Theatre Company at the Athenaeum Theatre commencing 2 July 1980

Melbourne Athenaeum Archives, Melbourne

Paper program

Poster

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Part of series donated by Woolmark.

Historical information

Poster entitled "Wool in Australia 1888 - 1938". One of four posters describing the history of the Australian Wool industry from 1788 to 1988, produced for the Australian bicentenary.

Card

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Card no. 14 from the Crusader Mills information card set, c.1945-55. Verso of card no. 14 from the Crusader Mills information card set, c.1945-55.

Historical information

This card is the fourteenth in a set of 16 information cards produced by the Stamina Clothing Company re: Australian Woollen Mills as give aways. It looks the process of dyeing.

Inscriptions & Markings

No. 14 Dyeing the famous Crusader Blues that never fade.

Photograph - Black and White - Shipping manifest, Champion of the Seas, one page

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Historical information

Robert Hamilton, and his wife Alice Webb Hamilton (nee Russell) and their son Robert Hamilton travelled on this vessel to Victoria, Australia. Alice Webb Russell was born at Torphichen, Scotland, while Robert Hamilton was born at Schotts Works, Scotland.

Certificate

Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre Heritage Collection, Surrey Hills

A one page note written on cream paper in blue ink.

Historical information

Dr Agnes Donaldson practised as a GP at 'Luxmee' in Windsor Crescent, Surrey Hills along with her sister, Dr Roberta Donaldson. The practice was originally in Blackburn Street commencing in the early 1920s. It moved to 'Luxmee' where Dr Navroji (Neville) Gandevia had previously practised. Their father had been a doctor at Linton, near Skipton and their brother was a doctor in Skipton.

Inscriptions & Markings

"This is to / certify that / Laurie Young / was born on / August 18th 1946 / A R Donaldson / MB BS Melb / 15.10.51"

Book - Identifying Australian Houses

Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre Heritage Collection, Surrey Hills

This booklet has been compiled as an aid to identifying Australian houses c1829-1900. It will help in recognising the characteristics of buildings of different eras, as well as their individual architectural elements.

Historical information

This booklet has been compiled as an aid to identifying Australian houses c1829-1900. It will help in recognising the characteristics of buildings of different eras, as well as their individual architectural elements.

Examination results - CTS - Examination results. Collingwood Technical School. 1913-1920.

NMIT (Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE),

Black hard cover book divided by tabs for each year. Results sheets have been pasted into book.

Historical information

Examination results (pass or fail) in all aspects of technical education from Mathematics to trade subjects.

Significance

A key record of students and results from the early decades of Collingwood Technical School.

Inscriptions & Markings

On spine: CTS/ Examination results / 1913 ...1920.

Photograph - Digital Image - Main Street Greensborough, 1960s

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

Photograph of Main Street Greensborough, 1960s.

WTS Prospectus

Wangaratta High School, Wangaratta

Black paperback Wangaratta Technical School 1972 prospectus. With a large black and white image of a student and three horizontal white lines

Photograph - Digital image - Diamond Village Shopping Centre, Watsonia, 2016

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

Diamond Village Shopping Centre, Nepean Street Watsonia.

Booklet - Funeral service for Trevor Partington

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Links: 00723:00784 16 pages, includes death certificate, eulogy and newspaper clippings. In clear plastic folder.

Historical information

A record of the funeral service of Trevor Partington, a well known Greensborough identity.

Significance

Relates to descendents of the Partington family, Greensborough pioneers.

Photograph - Eltham - Hill family (details on photograph), 1860.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital image

Historical information

Source: Mrs. Edna Hill, 411 Bridge St., Eltham

Significance

This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.' It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Golden Kookaburra

Camperdown RSL Sub Branch, Camperdown 3260

small folder 45mm x 70 mm containing a Golden Kookaburra pendant 22 mm high

Historical information

Public reception for World War 1 Returned Soldiers , Thursday 28th August 1919 at the Mechanics Institute Camperdown. The soldiers were presented with a Golden Kookaburra by the local Repatriation Committee. Further details on trove.nla.gov.au ,search Camperdown Chronicle Saturday 30 August 1919 page 2 "Reception to Soldiers"

Inscriptions & Markings

The Great War 1914-1918 Camperdown Thursday 28th August 1919

black and white photograph

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A black / white photograph of a group of early settlers (it appears to be a family group) having a picnic underneath trees. There is a young boy on a horse on the left hand side.

Historical information

The Old Station at Corringle was a popular picnic spot in 1901. Late in 1857 Mr Thomas T. Stirling took over Corringle Run ("Corringle" means "shallow water"). Mr Stirling and his family came from the wester district - Winchelsea. He settled at the Old Station. A few people were employed at the Orbost Stationb and there was settlement on the Orbost flats, Mr T. T. Stirling held the land from Lake Tyrers to Bemm River as a cattle run. About 1888 he became Secretary of the new Tambo Shire.

Significance

This is a contemporary pictorial record of rural family life in Orbost in the early 20th century.

Inscriptions & Markings

on back - "Picnic at the Old Station"

Photograph - Untitled

Brimbank City Council Art Collection, Deer Park

Significance

Local scene

Photograph (Steve Hart)

Victoria Police Museum, Docklands

Small black and white studio photograph showing a standing Steve Hart

Inscriptions & Markings

Steve Hart Bushranger (on rear in ink)

Microfiche - Family Register Index

Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen

small sheet of film

Historical information

Identity the families registered with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Inscriptions & Markings

Alphabetical Index HIRD - ISABELLA Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Photograph - City of Ringwood celebrations, 1960

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, 'City celebrations, 1960. Floats with children on board in procession'.

Neck piece with front ruffle attached

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Previous page