Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Collecting Fire: A new kind of practice

7 Feb 2019

“While museums have traditionally aspired to collect “the real thing” and to create repositories of tangible evidence of our collective past, the essence of this project and its emerging collection was in making real the intangible through personal stories, symbols, and metaphors – giving form to matters of the heart. A new kind of museum practice was therefore needed.” - Sites of Trauma: Contemporary Collecting and Natural Disaster

Curated By

Lauren McAlary, Veterans Heritage Project Manager

111840 items with images

close

111840 items with images

Image - Alexander Bell

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Portrait of Alexander Bell, member of the Old Colonists Association of Ballarat.

Historical information

Richard Bell was born in Dumfermline, Scotland in 1850, arriving in Victoria with his family as a child. He worked at the grocery store of W.L. Wilson, Skipton Street, Sebastopol for six years before opening his own grocery business on the corner of Drummond and South Streets, Ballarat. The business was successful and he retired 15 years later. He was elected to the Ballarat City Council in 1891, and in 1892 he started an auctioneering and sharebroking business in partnership with Mr Lambert. Organisations such as the Ballarat Woollen Company and the Ballarat Tramway Board benefited from Richard Bell's association with them, and he was the Director of many mining companies. He was a member of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat, the Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute and the Commercial Club. Richard Bell was interest in erecting statues in Sturt Street to the memory of the poets Burns and Moore, and served on the relevant committee to that end. He was a long term truster of the Miners' Association, and took a very active part in the South Street Debating Society. In April 1874 Richard Bell married Jessie Scott, and the couple had two sons and seven daughters.

Book - That's our house, A history of housing in Victoria

Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre Heritage Collection, Surrey Hills

All houses were designed to provide protection from the elements and a home base for family activities - sleeping, eating, washing, recreation and earning a living. What changes is not the purpose, but the way this purpose is achieved. This book is about all these things. It is not just about architecture.An 80 page soft-cover book with index and numerous photos and sketches.

Historical information

Foreword by Hon Frank Wilkes, Minister for Housing

Inscriptions & Markings

On the front cover in top RH corner and on foreword page in Jocelyn Hall's writing: "Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre"

Book - Transition: The IBM Story

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Soft covered book of 204 pages.

Historical information

The University of Ballarat has an alliance with IBM. Students are able to 'earn as you learn' - working at IBM while studying at the University of Ballarat.

Book - The Longest Drive

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a hardcover book of 635 pages. The dust cover is multi-coloured with an image of a painting of the woolshed at Rich Avon on the front. The book has a dark red cover.

Historical information

This is the story of Thomas Guthrie (1833 -1928) and his family and their pioneering adventures in early Australia (mainly in the Wimmera district of Victoria and at ‘Avon Downs’ south of Burketown in the Barkly Tableland in the Northern Territory). It documents what has been described as the longest drive with sheep in Australia, the droving of 11,000 sheep from the property ‘Rich Avon’ in north west Victoria to ‘Avon Downs’. This was a 3,500 kilometre journey that took 16 months, commencing in 1882.

Significance

The book is of interest because it documents the development of sheep farming in Victoria in the 19th century and the fortitude and resilience of the early pioneers. The story of the ‘longest drive’ is compelling and enlightening and is an important social history of interest to readers and researchers.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover (dust cover) – ‘The Longest Drive’, ‘An Early Australian Pioneer and the Longest Sheep Droving Journey in Australian History’, ‘Tom Guthrie’ Spine (dust cover) – ‘The Longest Drive’, ‘Tom Guthrie’, ‘Grampians Estate’ Spine of Hard cover – ‘The Longest Drive’, ‘Tom Guthrie’, ‘Grampians Estate’ Written inscription on frontispiece – ‘To the Warrnambool Historical Society, Keep up the good work, Tom Guthrie, 26/9/2014’

black and white photograph

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A black / white photograph of a group of young girls dressed up and posing on the banks of a river. On the left hand side of the photograph is an older man and on the right is an older lady. In the background is a bridge - the first Snowy River bridge. The photograph is on a cream coloured buff card.

Historical information

The bridge shown in the background was built in the 1920s as a road and rail bridge, and was partly washed away by flood waters in 1934. There is no known history of this item.

Significance

This photograph is a contemporary record of rural life in Orbost in the early 20th century.

bowl - White dinner bowl

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

Plain white soup bowl with flat rim. Red printed logo printed on rim.

Historical information

Charles Plowright operated the Western Hotel on the corner of Timor and Kepler Streets from 1910 until around 1919. It was built in 1869 by William O’Brien, having been designed by Andrew Kerr. It was a staging place for the Cobb & Co Coaches.

Significance

A common commercial product with which many people could identify. The Western Hotel is a common Warrnambool landmark built around 1869, it was one of the earliest hotels and operates to this day.

Inscriptions & Markings

Plowrights Western Hotel Warrnambool printed in red on rim of bowl. “Grindley Hotel Ware England. Vitrified” stamped on base below emblem of crown. Date stamped in china 1 13

Aperture Card microfilm - Parish Plan Chiltern

Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen

card with a single microfilm insert

Historical information

Town layout of Chiltern

PHOTOGRAPH

Clunes Museum, Clunes

FRAMED PHOTOGRAPH OF WILLIAM TURNBULL.

Historical information

IT IS ON PERMAMENT LOAN FROM HEPBURN SHIRE WILLIAM TURNBULL ELECTED AS COUNCILLOR NOV. 25TH 1901. ELECTED MAYOR 1907-8-9. PHOTOGRAPH ORIGINALLY HUNG IN CLUNES TOWN HALL DURING HIS TERM AS MAYOR.

Inscriptions & Markings

CLUNES BOROUGH COUNCIL. WILLIAM TURNBULL ELECTED COUNCILLOR NOV. 25TH 1901. MAYOR 1907-8-9. RICHARDS & CO. PHOTOS

Jewel Box

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Rectangular wooden, lined and padded jewel box. Four small wooden feet on the base and a wooden lid inlaid with a light coloured wood and a black knob on the the top.

Historical information

Made in Camp 13 by a German P.O.W.

Photograph - Blacksmith's Bellows, Handwater Pump and Steam Time Whistle used at Briar Hill Timber Mill, Heritage Week, 1990

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Three colour photographs of Blacksmith's Bellows, Handwater Pump and Steam Time Whistle used at Briar Hill Timber Mill, Heritage Week, 1990

Scrapbook

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Large cloth bound hard cover scrapbook, red colour. The pages inside the scrapbook have black and white cut out newspaper clippings adhered to the cream colour paper pages. Title of publications and dates have been hand written adjacent to the clipping.

Historical information

One of three similarly presented scrapbooks that came from the Public Relations Department. They were created by PR as an historical chronological record of the publication of the advertisements. They are significant as the only complete sets of council advertisements for the periods outlined in the description.

Inscriptions & Markings

Hand written in texta on cover of red book (smaller): "ADVERTISING 11.7.90" and typed on white label below: "COPIES OF ADVERTISEMENT".

Article - Memoirs History 1808 -1883 [extract]

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Links: 00670:01015 4 pages of typed text. An extract from "Memoirs History 1808 -1883" pages 345 - 350.

Historical information

These pages are an extract from "Memoirs History 1808-1883" pages 345-350. This is John Lindsay Beale's account of the formation of the Greensborough Roads Board and Robert William Whatmough's participation on that Board.

Significance

The Whatmough and Beale families were pioneers in the Greensborough district. This primary source discusses the difficulties of finding a compromise between those living adjacent to the Plenty River and building and maintaining a roadway between Greensborough and Melbourne.

Photograph - Yarra Falls: Yarra River in Flood

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Murgatroyd Photograph Collection

Historical information

James Murgatroyd worked at Warrnambool Woollen Mills, Federal Mill, Tweedside, Collins Mills and set up looms for Alexander Spinning Mills Sydney, his son Fred Murgatroyd worked as a loom tuner at Yarra Falls, Tweedside and Collins mills in Victoria as well as in Sydney, and studied at Leeds University.

Inscriptions & Markings

F Murgatroyd Yarra Falls: Yarra River in Flood KODAK PRINT

Notebook - Beehive Sock Machine Instructions 2nd ed 1906

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Geelong High School exercise book.

Historical information

"Beehive Sock Machine Instructions 2nd ed 1906"

Photographic print

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

Photo of Budge Patty Materials: Paper, Photographic emulsion

Lapel Badge

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Lapel Badge Aust. Comforts Fund Trench Shop missing securing pin.

Photograph - Colour - Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Kew. 2015

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Program Photos Newsletter Poster - The Accrington Pals by Peter Whelan by special arrangement with Samuel French Inc. directed by Bruce Akers

Heidelberg Theatre Company Inc.., Rosanna

BIG M Triathlon items

Wangaratta High School, Wangaratta

BIG M Triathlon Australia items- white and yellow BIG M carton advertising the event, invitation letter

Photograph - Diamond Valley Community Hospital, Greensborough, 1990

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Three colour photographs showing construction work Diamond Valley Community Hospital, Greensborough, 1990

Bag Filler

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

At tall metal structure with a bucket shape attached to a hollow pipe for the grain to run through. A metal badge yu

Inscriptions & Markings

Metal badge patent No 1441 613/07/p

Signal

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Distance signal, Cone shaped cane weaving with metal bars placed in cross at base of cone. Has metal rod through centre of cone. Painted black.

Two photographs of 160 Eureka Street.

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

Two photographs of 160 Eureka Street. Ballarat. Weatherboard house. Owner - Brain.

Inscriptions & Markings

.1: 160 Brain Eureka St., .2: 1.£135 160 Eureka Street. No. 2208. Res Area. £135. Brain.

Linocut Rollers (Brayers)

Anglesea and District Historical Society, Anglesea

1. Blue metallic Brayer - 100mm x 150mm x 20mm. 2. Wooden handle Brayer - 160mm x 130mm x 20mm. 3. Wooden handle Brayer - 120mm x 140mm x 30mm.

Inscriptions & Markings

1. "Gilkon / SYDNEY" across top.

Chair

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Nurse chair; wood, cane and rattan chair with round rushed seat, the one left arm being that to support the infant during feeding. 1870's-1890's.

Annual Report - Dennys, Lascelles Limited, Notice of Meeting and Annual Report to Members 1967

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

"Dennys, Lascelles Limited, Notice of Meeting and Annual Report to Members 1967".

Microbalance

University of Melbourne, School of Chemistry, Melbourne

An original Kerr-Grant Microbalance, modified by E.J. Hartung.

Historical information

An original Kerr-Grant Microbalance, modified by E.J.Hartung This balance was invented in the chemistry department by Bertram Dillon Steele, later first Professor of Chemistry at the University of Queensland 1910-1930, in collaboration with Professor Kerr Grant, Physics. The design was widely used by other chemists, including Masson's mentor, Professor Ramsay, working in London on newly discovered rare gases (especially Radon), and Professor Hartung in Melbourne, investigating the chemistry of the decomposition of silver salts in photographic processes. The principle of the microbalance was to measure the change in density of a gas by the shift in the balancing beam due to a change in pressure of the gas in the balance case. The quartz balancing beam was made by Bertram Steele who was particularly skilled in glassblowing. A quartz beam is the beam of the Aston microbalance based on the Steele/Grant instrument, and described by F.W. Aston, the inventor of the mass spectrometer. The bulb at one end of the beam contained a fixed amount of air, so that a change in the pressure of gas in the balance case changed the buoyancy of the beam, yielding a displacement in the beam which could be measured. By this means, differences in weight of about 10 nanogram could be measured, in amounts of up to 0.1 gram. Such differences are significant the increase in weight of a metal sample due to surface oxidation (Steele's interest) in the weight loss due to radioactive decay of Radium (Ramsay's work), and in the estimates of density change due to the isotopic distribution of Neon (Aston). Ernst Johannes Hartung was a chemist and astronomer. Educated at the University of Melbourne (BSc 1913, DSc 1919), he became lecturer in 1919, associate professor in 1924, and succeeded Rivett as chair of chemistry in 1928, remaining in this position until 1953. Hartung?s lecturing style surged with enthusiasm and he employed the use of screen projections to demonstrate chemical phenomena to large undergraduate classes. In 1935 he recorded Brownian movement in colloidal solutions on 35 mm cinefilm, which was later copied onto 16 mm film for the Eastman Kodak Co. World Science Library. This can be viewed in the Chemistry laboratory. He researched the photo decomposition of silver halides, and was awarded the David Syme Prize in 1926. He devoted time to the design and construction of a large, new chemistry building for the School of Chemistry (built 1938?1939). During World War II he was approached by Professor Thomas Laby, chairman of the Optical Munitions Panel, to chair the advisory committee on optical materials, to produce high quality optical glass in Australia. This was successful, with large-scale production achieved within ten months at a reasonable cost. Hartung served three terms as general President of the (Royal) Australian Chemical Institute, was an ex-officio councillor of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, and a Trustee of the Museum of Applied Science (now part of Museum Victoria).

Framed photographs and boomerang

Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch, Wangaratta

Large timber frame with orange mount containing boomerang three flags six photographs and narrative plaques

Historical information

Dedication to the Aboriginal soldiers who formed a special all volunteer platoon at No 9 Camp Wangaratta in Victoria from late 1940 until February 1941. No 9 Camp was set up at the Wangaratta Showgrounds to allow the formation of the 2/24th Australian Infantry Battalion prior to leaving for Egypt. Major Joseph Albert Wright a WW1 Light Horse veteran was in charge of this platoon the only Aboriginal squad in the Australian Military Forces at that time. Aboriginals from Lake Tyers enlisted at Caulfield between June and July 1940. 7 of the 13 who enlisted in June 1940 were discharged as members of the 2/23rd Battalion. 10 were discharged on the 22/3/1941 as Services No Longer Required, 1 discharged in November 1940, 1 in January 1941 and another in April 1941.

Significance

Dedication to Aboriginal soldiers who formed a special all volunteer platoon at No 9 Camp Wangaratta in Victoria from late 1940 until February 1941. No 9 Camp was set up at the Wangaratta Showgrounds to allow the formation of the 2/24th Australian Infantry Battalion prior to leaving for Egypt. Major Joseph Albert Wright a WW1 Light Horse veteran was in charge of this platoon the only Aboriginal squad in the Australian Military Forces at that time.

Inscriptions & Markings

9 Platoon Wangaratta

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A group of seven men in a courtyard in front of the bluestone building. Four men are standing and three are sitting on a seat attached to the building.Unmounted black and white.

Historical information

The original photo is part of an album taken by W Walls, the front page of which is inscribed " The Hill /Sunbury/April 1897". Whilest most of the photos relate to the environs of the asylum, there are othrs taken around Sunbury and ? elsewhere. The original album is held as part of the Mental Health library Collection. During 2000 this was transferred from Mont Park to the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Photo

Melbourne Legacy, Melbourne

Black and white photo of three Legacy widows.

Historical information

Three Legacy widows from Hampton area, their names are unknown. Keesing Photographers took a series of photos on the same day of various ladies and some were committee members at different clubs. Presumably there had a been a meeting at Legacy House of members from the many clubs (including Hampton, Highett, Caufield). Pg 3 could mean the photo was used in an issue of The Answer. It is assumed that the date was 1991 due to the reference number from the photographic studio 911030B-21 could mean 30 October 1991, along with 00645, 00647, 00648, 00649, 00650, 00651 and 000661 - 00666.

Significance

Photos of the committee members of Widows clubs were taken by a professional photographer.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on the back from Keesing Photographic with Reference No: 911030B-21. Pg 3 in pencil, and Hampton in blue pen.

Photograph - Digital image - Plenty River in flood 1972, view at the Rand Street Crossing

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Links: 01473.01474.01746.01747.01748.01749.01751.02246 Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Plenty River in flood at the Rand Street Crossing. There were two major floods in Greensborough at the time, 1972 and 1974. Poulter Reserve was created after the 1972 flood and had to be re-established following the 1974 flood.

BOOK - ANZACS - The Pain and the Glory of Gallipoli

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

Book, soft cover with black & white illustration. Title in white letters. Illustrated end papers. 44 cut edge pages with colour & black & white illustrations.

Historical information

Contains biographies of the last surviving ANZACS. In addition, included is a brief overview of the Gallipoli campaign.

Manual - Hoover Dishwasher

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

The manual is printed in black on white paper. The Hoover symbol and the caption is across the top third of the page above a framed diagram of a fully loaded dishwasher. There are 16 pages in the manual.

Historical information

The manual came with the Hoover dishwasher Model D7006. The dishwasher was installed in one of the many houses which were built in Sunbury during the 1970's.

Inscriptions & Markings

(Hoover symbol) Instructions for the use / and care of your new / HOOVER / DISHWASHER / Model D7006

Trophy - Wooden trophy

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Varnished light plywood replica rudder. Information is printed on the side of the rudder in brown lettering.

Inscriptions & Markings

Girls Head of the Lake Crew 2000 Bow J.C. Guy 2 A.J. Gibson 3 N.E. Jacobs Stroke S.K.Richards Cox S.R. Gabb Coaches S. Hutchison A. Bateman Australian National Champions

Photograph - Upper Yarra Dam, Spring Tour, 22 Oct 1995

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 2 strips

Historical information

EXPLORING THE UPPER YARRA (Newsletter No. 105, November 1995, by Bettina Woodburn) We enjoyed the Spring Excursion, this year "Exploring the Upper Yarra" - in spite of the constant rain and the countryside under the cloud cover, especially in the valleys, being mainly shiny shades of green. The occasional fields of buttercups, clumps of arum lilies and splendid rhododendron and other flowering bushes became very special. The Cobb and Co coach was warm and a cosy retreat as we zig-zagged on the highways and byways to glimpse the Yarra River, upstream and down, its secret places, and particularly the many bridges. Russell excelled as 'Poet Laureate', reading from Dacre Smyth's book. This 1979 publication includes paintings of all the bridges along the river with poems and brief descriptions of each one. Some of the bridges are in out of the way places and are not very well known. We looked forward to hearing the poetry as much as seeing the ' constructions'…Big Pat (was he short or tall, lean or fat? He did win the two hundred pound reward for discovering gold and had the creek named after him), about the 'Eddies'?, and the disliked 'meccano' bridge in Warburton, etc. etc. The hot roast lunch in the old Reefton Hotel was also most welcome. It was easy to imagine it peopled by miners and early settlers. Starting by crossing the new (1974) concrete bridge at Warrandyte we headed through Wonga Park with views to the Christmas Hills and to the escarpment of the Yering Gorge, which causes flood waters to back up through the Yarra Glen plain, so avoiding disasters downstream. At the end of a long driveway we found the wooden, privately owned Henley Bridge (1935 after the 1934 floods). This facilitates access to different parts of Henley Farm and to Lilydale. Everard Park, named after Blanche Shallard's father, a State Member for 17 years, below the Highway Yarra crossing was in need of care. It is 10 miles from Yarra Glen by road but, as "Yarra Marra” canoeists well know, 32 winding miles down by water. After more delightful countryside scenes we joined the Warburton Highway at Woori Yallock. From the old Railway Station at Launching Place the Centennial Trail for walkers, cyclists and ' horse riders has replaced the rails. The line from Lilydale was opened in 1901, and the last diesel freight train ran to Warburton in 1965. It continued to rain as we had morning tea in Warburton in a shelter between footbridges. From here we continued upstream past the Bridge to O'Shannasy Lodge and Reservoir, Starvation Creek, and the Peninsular tunnel (miners dug it as at Pound Bend) which we visited (scrambling down those steps!) on our return after lunch. Our furthermost point was the Upper Yarra Dam Reserve (and vast catchment area). Finished in 1957 after ten years work and 100 years after Yan Yean, it supplies much of Melbourne's water. After crossing the 30m Launching Place Bridge to the Eltham side of the Yarra and Healesville, we saw in the distance the Yarra Glen Timber Trestle Bridge over the river flats "the longest for years in the land it was said!" Harry's dream of "better weather over the Divide" unfortunately didn't come true, but I'm sure we 36 members will retain happy memories of a day that was wet and green and filled with Bridges. Bettina Woodburn - October 1995

Significance

Record of the Society's history of activities - Spring 1995 excursion

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 100-4

Photograph - Russell Yeoman and Matthew Smith, Eltham Festival Community Parade, 7 November 1987

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

[from a contemporary report:] Our float with its colonial washing day theme won the trophy for the best display. Bruce Ness arranged items from the Society's collection on his truck. Joh Ebeli and Russell Yeoman set up further items on the trailer loaned by Denis McKay. An important part of the event was the members who came along in their “old gear” to complete the picture. As usual musicians from the Victorian Folk Music Club helped us out with their lively music.

Oral History - Denise Scott by Anne Paul

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

4 page, text and illus.

Historical information

In 2017, GHS member Anne Paul, contacted comedian Denise Scott after meeting at the Banyule Volunteer Awards function. Denise agreed to answer some questions about her life growing up in Greensborough and this is the completed story.

Ball container

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

A Spalding 'Pancho Gonzales' ball can with white plastic cap (original metal pulltab seal missing). Contains all three original balls. Adhesive label on base states:21067. Materials: Metal, Plastic

Documents - Folder of miscellaneous documents of the Ringwood Arts Group 1968-1978

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Red covered 2 ring binder with Tudor loose leaf refills containing miscellaneous documents, letters, accounts and the Constitution of the Ringwood Art and Craft Society between 1968-1978

Historical information

Part of the collected documents of the Ringwood Art group 1968-1978

Bronze plaque - Plaque commemerarting the opening of the Camberwell Central RSL in 1959

Camberwell RSL Sub-Branch, Camberwell

Bronze Plaque

Inscriptions & Markings

This Tablet was unveiled by John S. August JP on Sunday 18th October 1959 To commemorate the opening of Camberwell Central RSSAILA Memorial Hall President R. .Rhyss -Jones Secretary S.W. Goldfinch

Untitled

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph showing the signpost indicating the entrance to the Goonawarra Estate from Sunbury Road. Trees are growing on either side of the road and Mt. Holden can be seen across the skyline.

Historical information

On 4th August 1978 the construction of the Goonawarra Estate commenced. The estate was formerly known as the Goonawarra Farm and overlooked the Sunbury town and the Jacksons Creek valley. Plans for the development included a golf course, houses, community and recreational facilities..The golf course opened in 1980 and the housing construction continued throughout the last two decadesd of the twentieth century and into the twenty firsat century.

Photograph - Maryborough Railway Station, Spring Excursion to Maryborough, 27 September 1992

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Two colour photographs

Historical information

[from EDHS Newsletter No. 86, September 1992:] SPRING EXCURSION MARYBOROUGH: As a Spring excursion our bus trip on 27th September is well timed - Maryborough is conducting its Wattle Festival on that weekend. We are to be guests of the Midlands Historical Society who will provide a guide for our tour of the town. This is a somewhat longer trip than we usually undertake so we have an earlier start at 8.00 am and the cost is a little more than usual at $20.00. The entry to the Midlands Society's Worsley Cottage is included. At the end of the town tour we will visit the C.W.A.'s Fair which is part of the Wattle Festival. Afternoon tea will be available there for a small charge. Bring your lunch and something for morning tea if you wish. We will be travelling to Maryborough via Creswick and Clunes and returning via Castlemaine. We will return about 6.00 pm and transport home can be arranged if required. Maryborough has a rich history with the gold era being particularly significant. Local historian Betty Osborne has produced the book "Maryborough - a Social History 1854-1905". You might like to try and obtain it from the library for advance reading or it will be available for purchase on the day at $25.00. To book for this tour please complete the attached from and return with your payment to the September meeting or send it to our post office box. Friends are most welcome as usual.

Black and white photograph - Dam digging with horse team and sledge, circa 1930.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Dam digging with a horse-drawn sledge at "Eilyer", Lake Bolac. Working the team are Clarrie Sloper and Corrigan Graham.

Photograph

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Tin Sign

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

Rusty rectangle painted tin sign. Punched holes in each corner which are also bent. Two other holes along top edge and one on bottom edge.

Historical information

Used at Sunbury Racecourse which used to be situated in Racecourse Road, Sunbury. The sign indicated where the Bird Cage tickets could be purchased and the cost.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Bird Cage Tickets/Here 2/6"

Negative Photographic Reproduction - Hutchisons store, A R Duck Mgr, store No 3 1913 Warburton

Upper Yarra Museum, Yarra Junction

Hutchisons store, A R Duck Mgr, store No 3 1913 Warburton. Negative Black white. Scanned at 600 dpi

PHOTOGRAPH, FRAMED

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

Wooden frame, green inset, with sepia photo of 38th Batt AIF Band. Glass front with inscription below.

Inscriptions & Markings

The 38th Battalion AIF Band Port Melbourne Pier 20.6.1916 prior to embarkation on the No 54 HMAT Runic. Donated by P Hall.

Photograph - The Kew "Strong Post" St Kilda Road, 1927

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

An unframed, mounted sepia photograph of the Kew "Strong Post" on St Kilda Road on the occasion of the Royal Visit of 1927.

Significance

The photograph is of historic and social significance for what it tells of popular civic values in the interwar period in Melbourne and Australia which manifested itself on occasions such as Royal Visits.

Inscriptions & Markings

Caption: "The Kew "Strong Post" St Kilda Rd., / on the occasion of the visit of / Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of York / presented by C.R. Du Rieu Esq / May 1927

Microfiche - Births Register Index

Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen

small sheet of film

Inscriptions & Markings

1895 LUKE B TO 1895 MASON A

Wheel of HMAS Sydney

Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron, St Kilda West

Ships wheel, timber, mounted on a timber plinth, wheel of ship first HMAS Sydney.

Historical information

THE WHEEL OF HMAS SYDNEY COMMEMORATING AUSTRALIA’S FIRST NAVAL ENGAGEMENT The historic wheel of HMAS Sydney commemorates the Royal Australian Navy’s first ship- to- ship naval engagement. It was purchased early in 1930 and later presented to the Royal St Kilda Yacht Club (now Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron) by then Commodore Joe White, following HMAS Sydney being broken up at Cockatoo Dock, Sydney. On 1 November 1914, led by the flagship SS Orvieto, a large convoy of 28 Australian and 10 New Zealand transports escorted by the Light Cruisers HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney, HMS Minotaur and the Japanese ship Ibuki, departed King George Sound, Albany Western Australia with a large contingent of Australian and New Zealand troops bound for Egypt, to become the original Anzac’s. As the convoy steamed northwest across the Indian Ocean, leaving Cocos-Keeling Islands well to the westward, Captain Karl von Muller in the German Light Cruiser Emden of 3,600 tons, after having wrought much havoc to allied shipping in the Indian Ocean, ignorant of the convoys presence, had in mind to destroy the Cocos Island Cable Station on Direction Island. In the early hours of the morning of Monday the 9 November, he anchored “Emden” off Direction Island to send a landing party ashore, In the meantime the Cable Station had sent out a Morse Code message ‘Strange ship approaching’, this was followed soon after by a ‘S.O.S.’ These messages were picked up by ships in the convoy and at 7.00 a.m., Captain J.C. Glossop of the 5,400 ton HMAS Sydney was directed to leave the convoy and proceed at full speed for Cocos Islands. Two hours later Cocos Island was on the horizon. Captain von Muller, with the boarding party ashore to destroy the Cable station, steamed out to intercept the intruder. Captain Glossop decided to close in to 9,500 yards ( 8686.8m) before delivering his first salvo. Emden on the other hand, opened fire at 10,500 yards (9601m), its ten, 4.1 inch (104mm) guns firing 38 pound (17.24 kg ) shells, some of which scored near misses. Emden was hit repeatedly by HMAS Sydney’s eight, 6 inch (152.4mm) guns firing 100 pound (45.36kg ) shells. Within two hours Captain von Muller had decided to run the badly damaged Emden aground on North Keeling Island. Captain Glossop then broke off the engagement to speed off to intercept Emden’s collier, “Buresk”, seen lurking in the distance, soon to overtake her. A boarding party from HMAS Sydney was too late to prevent Buresk from being scuttled but able to rescue her crew. Returning to finish off Emden, HMAS Sydney was again met by heavy gunfire. Sydney scored a number of direct hits to Emden and only after having suffered 134 killed and 65 wounded, did Captain von Muller finally decide to lower his Naval Ensign. He was among those captured and was allowed to retain his Naval sword. In the engagements HMAS Sydney only suffered four direct hits, 4 killed and 12 wounded. J.H.(Bert) Ferris

Significance

Extremely significant as part of Australia's Naval and Military history.

Inscriptions & Markings

Plaque notifying that wheel donated by Commodore Joe White 1930

Previous page