Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Collecting Fire: A new kind of practice

7 Feb 2019

“While museums have traditionally aspired to collect “the real thing” and to create repositories of tangible evidence of our collective past, the essence of this project and its emerging collection was in making real the intangible through personal stories, symbols, and metaphors – giving form to matters of the heart. A new kind of museum practice was therefore needed.” - Sites of Trauma: Contemporary Collecting and Natural Disaster

Curated By

Lauren McAlary, Veterans Heritage Project Manager

113205 items with images

close

113205 items with images

Cabin Trunk

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Black painted steel cabin trunk.

Inscriptions & Markings

On maker's label inside lid: "GUARANTEED BEST COLD ROLLED CLOSE ANNEALED STEEL. MANUFACTURED AT WOLVERHAMPTON JAPANNING WORKS" Displays a Registered Trade Mark in form of a piece of cord in shape of a slip knot. In white stencil paint applied to end: "BOURCHIER MELBOURNE"

Photograph - Canteen at Mission to Seafarers

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

A white-bordered, black and white photograph of the Mission to Seafarers Canteen. From the left hand side of the photograph the image portrays an external doorway with six glass windows, emitting light from behind. This leads to the dipslay cabinet and bench of the canteen which is reflecting light from the windowed door. Central to the image is a pillar which is three-quarters wood paling starting from the floor, of which a map is displayed on one edge and a notice board on the remaining visible edge of the pillar. A bench is visible to the right side of the pillar and the far right side of the photograph, posters are hung on the wall.

Historical information

The canteen is part of the Mission to Seafarers building that has catered to visiting seafarers since 1917. The canteen is operated by the Flying Angel Club, which offered services to seafarers including food, drink and souvenirs from the canteen and events held in the main hall which invloved the use of the canteen. The Ladies Harbor Lights Guild also used the canteen facilities for functions and fundraisers held at the Mission to Seafarers.

Significance

Historical record of the Mission to Seafarers canteen post-1963. This is an example of the contemporaneous use of the canteen as primarily a supply shop and in a comparative fashion reveals some of the overall changes at the Mission..

Inscriptions & Markings

Purple stamp on central back of photograph. "Melbourne Harbor/Trust Photograph/Negative No......."

Memorial booklet - Silk Memorial Booklet Death of King Edward VII 6 May 1910

Heathcote McIvor Historical Society, Heathcote

Piece of cream silk printed on face and inside, screen printed in purple and black ink on front and inside the order of service. details of all ministers of religion and shire dignitries as well as hyms sung.

Historical information

Created for the memorial service that was held on friday 20th may 1910, held in front of the shire hall in Heathcote to honour king edward VII who died on the 6th may 1910 at 2.30 p.m. this was arranged by the local ministers of religion at the request of the president and councillers of the shire of McIvor.

Significance

Believed to be the only one in exsistence, after intesive research have been unable to come up with any information, from the shire, local churches or senior members of the community,only mention was in the Bendigo Advertiser newspaper.research in to archives further afield have not produced another.

Inscriptions & Markings

"McIvor Times" Print, Heathcote on left hand side below main print. in black ink

6 pounder Shell casing

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Cylindrical brass tube closed at base and open at other end.

Historical information

Nordenfelt Six pounder quick firing guns were used by land and naval forces to counter torpedo boats.

Significance

The projectile and its shell casing are of the type and age used by the Victorian Naval Forces but could equally have been used by the land forces.

Whitehead Torpedo Manual - Victorian Naval Forces Torpedo Manual Whitehead Torpedoes 1889

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Victorian Naval Forces Manual printed in 1889 with 62 pages with a burgandy cover. Two sections:- Part 1 - Whitehead Torpedos and their component parts used in the Victorian Naval Forces. Part 2 - Electrical section describing firing circuits, cells, fuzes, dynamoes, search lights.

Historical information

The Torpedo Manual was created in 1889 presumably as part of the training program of the Victorian Naval Torpedo Corps.

Significance

This item is significant partly because some of the information in the manual is not found elsewhere but also as it the only known copy of this manual. The manual is also evidence that a more professional approach to training was undertaken by the Victorian Naval Forces after the mid 1880s. Gunner/Instructor Corkle's of the Port Melboune Naval Brigade written in the manual is evidence of the manual's strong provenance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inside front cover - "Jno. Co[orkle] /Gunner & Instructor/oPort Melbourne Division/of/Naval Brigade/Port Melbourne/ January 1890." Inside back cover - "J Corkle GI/P.M.B. of N.B./January 1890"

Plans - Proposed Chaplain's Residence at the Mission to Seamen Port Melbourne

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Coloured architect's drawings of the proposed plans for Chaplain's Residence at Port Melbourne on heavy parchment. Including elevation drawings, floor plans and cross sections as well as architect's notes and measurements.

Historical information

An original group of plans drawn by Walter Butler who was also the architect of the Mission to Seamen building at 717 Flinders St that is still in use today. The early Port Melbourne onshore Mission gradually transformed from a 'wooden shack' to a one storey brick building designed by architect Frederick Williams in 1888. The St Nicholas chapel was added in 1915. Walter Butler was commissioned to add a second storey in 1917. The building retained its functions until 1937 when the Art Deco Mission was built. The building has survived as a structure into the 21st century, and was recently incorporated as part of a multi-apartment development.

Significance

Historical architectural record of Walter Butler's work. Walter Butler was a renowned architect and friend of the Fairfax family.

Inscriptions & Markings

Embossed architect's stamp in top right and left corners and bottom right corner "Walter R Butler [indecipherable] Melbourne" Printer's stamp on bottom right hand corner of rear "Printed by J. Creffield Propy. LTD. RIALTO, 493-5 Collins St. Melbourne"

Register - Register No. 1, No. 1-11, December 7th 1915 to July 27th 1921

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Blue register, 11 pages, certificates of marriage, hand-written on parchment. First entry 7th December 1915. Last entry 27th July 1921. Loose certificate kept in back flap dated 23rd November 1925.

Historical information

This is a register of weddings performed at the Mission to Seafarers at the Port Melbourne site. The register names all parties involved including bride, groom, celebrant, witnesses, bride and groom's parents and addresses at the time. It also outlines previous marital status, employment details and other personal details.

Significance

Historical record of marriages performed at the Mission to Seafarers commencing in 1915.

Inscriptions & Markings

Purple stamp in top left-hand corner of a flag with a flying angel. "From the Mission to Seamen Melbourne"

Epaulettes Box

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Metal box with handle and broken catch designed to hold two shoulder epaulettes.

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraving on lid - "A.M.T."

Epaulette

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Epaulette with gold braid and anchor insignia.

Inscriptions & Markings

Underside - "W.CHORLEY/OUTFITTER/SYDNEY,/N.S.W.

Epaulette

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Epaulette with gold.

Mk II Common Shell

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

10 inch, Mk II, Steel Common Shell

Inscriptions & Markings

On side - "21/D 7 C/96" On Base - "[1]0 IN II/[C] s/R.L.

Mk III Palliser Shot

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Cylindrical steel projectile with pointed nose.

Historical information

Mk III palliser shot was intended to be fired from the main guns of HMVS Cerberus.

Significance

Only know shot from HMVS Cerberus.

Inscriptions & Markings

None.

14 pounder Shell casing

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Cylindrical shell casing made of brass.

Historical information

A 14 pounder shell casing manufactured for the two prototype guns used by the Victorian Navy. Unlike the later Mk I and M II 14 pounders which used separate components the ammunition for the prototype guns was assembled into one fixed piece and crimped together.

Significance

Only a handfull of these sheels are known to exist as later 14 pounder guns used separate shell casing and projectiles.

Inscriptions & Markings

On base - "N"

6 pounder Common Shell

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Cylindrical steel shell with cone shaped nose.

Historical information

Nordenfelt Six pounder quick firing guns were used by land and naval forces to counter torpedo boats.

Significance

The projectile and its shell casing are of the type and age used by the Victorian Naval Forces but could equally have been used by the land forces.

Inscriptions & Markings

On side - "H/88"

14 pounder Common Shell

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Cylindrical steel projectile with conical nose.

Historical information

This fixed round was unique in that it could only be fired from two guns produced by Maxim-Nordenfelt as prototype guns. Subsequent guns were loaded with a separate projectile and shell casing. The 14 pounder Quich Firing (QF) guns were acquired for use on the armed commercial steamer SS Courier. While not in use they were used at Fort Queenscliff before being returned to the Victorian Navy. The guns were then fitted to HMVS Nelson and then HMVS Cerberus in 1897. In 1900 they were fitted to field gun carriages and accompanied the Victorian Naval Contingent to China.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Discharge Certificate

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Piece of paper with fields to fill in.

Historical information

A blank Victorian Naval Forces Discharge Certificate used when a member of the Victorian Naval Forces left.

Significance

Only known copy of a blank certificate with the stub that was retained by the Navy.

Gatling Gun round

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Victorian Fleet Painting - 1872

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Original oil painting by George Frederick Gregory.

Historical information

The painting depicts HMVS Cerberus, HMVS Nelson and one of the P&O Mail Steamers.

Significance

Of great significance as the colour scheme of Cerberus and Nelson is shown.

Inscriptions & Markings

G F Gregory 72

Victorian Fleet Print - 1888 - Detail of painting - The Victorian Fleet

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

Historical information

Represents the Victorian Navy in 1888. Reproduction of original painting by Arthur Victor Gregory.

Significance

Reproduction of the original held by the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.

Victorian Flag - 1870

Friends of the Cerberus Inc, Williamstown

A replica 1870 Victorian flag made of polyester.

Police Troopers Helmet - Helmet

Heathcote McIvor Historical Society, Heathcote

Police Helmet made of leather or hide, black in colour, lined with brown textured material in layers. has band attached. no badge but holes where number would have been on front and top

Inscriptions & Markings

inside rim signature of owner and in bowl of helmet is a blue label not able to read. 21 3/4" written in blue

Drum - Bass Drum

Heathcote McIvor Historical Society, Heathcote

Bass Drum made of wood and skin, with brass fittings. rope and leather stretchers around barrel

Historical information

Drum has been in Historic Society for many years no history known till 2010 when a visitor donated several photographs to society .one with the bass drum in front of group of Heathcote Brass Band members.

Significance

only item known still in exsistance from the brass band dated from 1890-1930 in Heathcote.

Inscriptions & Markings

No markings or name of maker visible

Glass Slides - Photographic

Heathcote McIvor Historical Society, Heathcote

set of 9 Glass Plate Slides in original box. photographs of Heathcote McIvor

Historical information

Belonged to Percy Webber who took the slides while he was parish priest of the church of england in Heathcote in 1893.

Significance

these Glass slides are only known original pictures still in original box 9 in total taken in 1893 of the various views around heathcote.

Inscriptions & Markings

on lid of box Gravura Lantern plates

weapon - Cannon Balls

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Cannon ball, black cast iron, minor rusting - one of three.

Historical information

One of three Cannon Balls found c1920 on the north side of Rhyll by Oswald Underdown. It is presumed to be from the 1826 British battery Fort Dumaresq. This together with the settlement near Corinella was set up to deter the French from taking possession of the area.

Clothing - Ladies Bonnet

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Ladies bonnet made of a blue satin strip at crest, white satin strip, beige lace strip, white satin strip and trimmed with lace at neckline. Has blue ribbon ties.

Historical information

Bonnet was worn by Florence Oswin Roberts. She was a local identity involved in koala conservation in the early 20th century.

black and white photograph - Pupils of Cowes Sate School no. 1282, 1926

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Black and white photographic copy of photograph of 58 pupils and 2 teachers of Cowes State School no. 1282, in 1926. Pupils arranged in 4 rows, older boys at the rear, next row is girls, 3rd row is mixed boys and girls, front row is boys all seated. Background is trees on the left and a wooden building on the right with an illegible sign above and to the right of a window.

Historical information

Original photograph from "Back to Phillp Island - 1926"

Inscriptions & Markings

" Copy from Reg No 11"

black and white photograph - HMS Hood

Phillip Island RSL Sub Branch, Cowes

Black and White photograph of HMS Hood under way. Crew are lined up from bow to stern for leaving harbour.

Historical information

HMS Hood was one of the most powerful ships in the Royal Navy during ww2. She was sunk by the German Battleship Bismark with a loss of all hands on board.

Significance

The main threat of the Bismark was to allied convoys, so an all out bid was made to find and sink her. Unfortunately she was too powerfull for the HMS Hood

Inscriptions & Markings

HMS Hood hand written in white ink just below forward guns controller

Black and White Photogragh - First enlistment of WRAAC CMF Victoria 21st July 1953

Womens Royal Australian Army Corps,

Black and White photograph of the 1st enlistment into 8 WRAAC Coy with MAJ Johns acting AD WRAAC on the left, with 15 ladies in overcoats taking the Oath. .

Historical information

First enlistment of 15 women into 8 Women's Royal Australian Army Corps Company Citizen's Military Forces taking the oath in front of MAJ Johns Acting Assistant Director WRAAC

Significance

First intake of females into the Citizen Military Forces

Black and White Photograph - Churchill Island Cairn

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Mrs J Jenner with grandson on left hand side of photograph and daughter Nancy on right hand side of photograph sitting on the Cairn which was erected by the Victorian Farmer's Union commemorating the first cultivation of wheat in Victoria by Mr James Grant in 1801 on Churchill Island. Plaque unveiled on 4/11/1968

Historical information

Churchill Island was discovered by Lieut. James Grant in 1801 and he planted the first wheat crop in Victoria there. The Cairn was erected to commemmorate this by the Victorian Farmer's Union. The Minister of Agriculture The Hon. G. L. Chandler CMG. MLC unveiled the Cairn on the 4th May of November 1968.

Inscriptions & Markings

Hand written "Unveiling Plaque 4/11/68 / Back To"

Book - The Book of Common Prayer

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

The Book of Common Prayer, 1869. Brown leather bound book with half a clasp gold

Inscriptions & Markings

EEJ Henderson from Georgianna McHaffie