Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office
Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield
This file contains 53 photo’s of the original photographs of Anzac Day and Remembrance Day Memorial Civic Services from years 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986. Some of the photo’s identify location as Caulfield Park other photo’s include persons of interest i.e. Mayor and Mayoress of Caulfield, Members of Parliamemt and also RSL Presidents
Boort Historical Society, Boort
Small beige coloured Book
Advertising of local businesses. For the coronation of George 6th. Donated by Mrs K McConnell in 1938.
Shows significance of the Royal Family to Australia, Advertisements for local businesses for future reference.
4th Edition Enlarged, Boort Coronation Cookery Book. Advertising on the back - McAlpins Flour and J.B. Edwards & Son Jewellers and Opticians
Port Fairy Historical Society Museum and Archives, Port Fairy
Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne
Bronze plaque commemorating 100 years of School of Nursing 1880-1980. Unveiled on 27th July 1981
This commemorative plaque was created to mark the 100 years of the Alfred Hospital School of Nursing since Dec. 1880.
The plaque is significant as the Alfred Hospital School of nursing was the first formal , general nurse training school in Melbourne.
As above unveiled by Governor of Victoria Hon. Sir Henry Winneke. Badge of A.H. Badge of A.H.N.L.
The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville
Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): View of DEE & accessories, Ron Gray in background. .
Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.
Sticky typed label on back from top and right to left: “MAIN MAGNET WATER HEAT EXCHANGE; VIEW OF DEE & BEAM EXIT; COIL CANS” Handwritten on back left hand corner in pen: “Ron Gray”
Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham
Roll of 35mm black and white negative film, 5 strips
Held in the carpark between the Safeway Supermarket and Commercial Place
Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo
.1) Colour Patch, square shaped. Felt material, grey outside colour. Internal SQ Red & Dark Blue, centre is light blue with a circle in the centre grey in colour signifing unit identity .2) Same as 1449.1
These uniform patches belonged to Clarence W Curnow VX100151, 2nd AIF. Refer 1444, 1445.2
Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost
Tall clear square-shaped glass bottle with small pouring lip.
Australia was not self sufficient in glass making until the turn of the 20th century and many bottles were made overseas and shipped to Australia with their contents and when emptied were re-filled with other company’s products. This bottle has an aesthetic element in that the shapesis visually appealing. This item reflects the type of glassware that was in circulation in the first half of the 20th century.
8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana
Black and white photograph of tank crewman talking to two Officers. Offocer on left Major General McDonald, Commander 3rd Division, at right Major General Daly.
Senior Officers visiting */13 VMR Annual Camp at Puckapunyal in 1969. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.
" General Daly and McDonald with Sgt. Wadley, B Sqn Camp 1969."
Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen
Individual school records of the pupils of the Higher Elementary School, Rutherglen.
From School records, some more complete than others. Reports should contain information on the pupil's school work and give details of what they did when they left school. They should also show the name of a parent and the occupation. All sheets are indexed on a spreadsheet at the Common School Museum.
Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura
Orange front cover. Light coloured back cover. Photograph of house whih reappeared during 1982-83 drought.
Written as community effort to record Eildon as it is today
Tennis Australia, Melbourne
Programme of the Rothman's International Tennis Trophy 1971 Materials: Paper, Ink
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool
Saw handle wooden (open style) with lever at side to adjust blade which is long, narrow, triangular shaped and made of iron. Handle cracked.
Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood
History of the Mah Tock (Matlock) family from 1832 to 2012 +Additional Keywords: Mah Tock / Matlock, Geoffrey
The Adam Lindsay Gordon Commemorative Committee Inc.,
Tennis Australia, Melbourne
Book: 'METHODS AND PLAYERS OF MODERN LAWN TENNIS'. Hardcover. Copyrighted 1922. Materials: Paper, Ink, Cardboard
Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey
Projectile 8 mm Lebel
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool
The Birds of Australia Vol 2 Author: Gregory M Mathews Publisher: Witherby & Co 326 HIGH HOLBORN LONDON Date: 1912-1913 Tan leather bound illustrated work.
The Birds of Australia is a 12 volume work, in a total of 14 books. The books were used as an ornithological handbook. They contain scientific text as well as over 600 hand-coloured lithographed plates by J.G. Keulemans, H. Grönvold, Roland Green, H. Goodchild and G.E. Lodge. The work was written, sponsored and organised by Gregory M. Matthews, F.R.S.C. Erc. who was a wealthy Australian and an amateur ornithologist. His titles included – -Fellow of the Linnean and Zoological Societies of London -Member of the British Ornithologists’ Union -Corresponding Fellow of the American Ornithologists’ Union The volumes in our collection were originally donated to the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute and Free Library by William Lindsay. THE LINDSAYS (quoted from the book Of Many Things – A History of Warrnambool Shire by C.E. Sayers) The Lindsays were amongst the most prominent families in the Shire of Warrnambool, as pastoralists, sportsmen, municipal councillors, community leaders. The first of the family William arrived in Melbourne in 1841 and started business as a livestock agent. The gold rushes sent him to the central Victoria diggings dealing in cattle. This was a business that boomed in the early 1850s, and he prospered. In 1859 he took over the Quamby run near Woolsthrope from Paul de Castella, the Yarra Valley Swiss vigneron who had brought the leasehold and improvements in 1853 from George Youl, who had pioneered the run. Quamby was originally 25,000 acres. It was heavily timbered, rough country, much of it swampy, a characteristic of the district. Lindsay used it to fatten cattle which gave large returns with the booming gold diggings towns paying high prices for beef. In 1862 purchases at auction made Quamby a freehold. In the next six years a further 20,000 acres of Crown land were brought at auction to make the run one of the largest in the south-west district. The great profits from his cattle trading enabled Lindsay to make improvements to the holding, and to Union which was added in 1864. Much of the thick timber was cleared and the worst of the swamps drained. Union was 15,000 acres of freehold when Kennedy sold it to Lindsay. It was heavily timbered, mostly blackwood, with large belts of wattle and honeysuckle. Much of the heavy native was ringbarked and cleared; much more was swept away by bushfire. It was expensive work, but Lindsay’s bank passbook was heavy with credit, and he did not spare money to make both Quamby and Union heavily developed stock runs. He was as lavish in social living; the bluestone Quamby homestead was one of the most hospitable in the district when William Lindsay was host there; its paddocks carried high quality thoroughbreds: its stables housed steeplechasers and flat racers which won many races on Warrnambool and other courses; its coach houses were filled with carriages which took his guests to the great racing carnivals of the district. After William Lindsay died in 1897, in his eighty-fifth year, his two sons, William and James, managed Union and Quamby as a joint venture. This partnership ended in 1906 when William took over Union and James kept Quamby. The following year 10,000 acres of Union were subdivided and sold in lots of 100 acres to 700 acres for dairying and general farming. It was well improved country, much of it alluvial flats. By then many of the paddocks were sheltered with blue gum belts, and they carried good pastures. The three Lindsays, father and two sons, gave many years of service to the Shire, and to many charitable, sporting, social and community organisations in the Warrnambool district. William Lindsay senior, was a Shire councillor for 15 years, and President several times. James Lindsay followed his father as a north riding councillor. He served nineteen years, from 1887 until his death in March 1908. He was President four times. Jimmy Lindsay was one of the most popular men in the south-west of Victoria. He was a fine sportsman: horse breeder, owner and a dashing amateur rider. He lived lavishly and played hard. For many years he guarded a herd of kangaroos, as many as 100 head, at Quamby. Descendants of the Lindsay kangaroos are still in the district. James Lindsay’s wife, Margaret Esther was a daughter of Samuel Shaw Parker, the first engineer of the Shire. Nell Lindsay, a daughter, lives in the Bluestone Quamby homestead. Only a little more than 60 acres of the original run still belongs to the property. William Lindsay junior succeeded his brother as a Shire councillor. He served for 25 years from 1908 until his death in 1934. So, the Lindsays, father and two sons, served as Shite councillors for an unbroken period of sixth-five years. William Lindsay junior had a life-long interest in horse racing, as breeder, owner and enthusiastic amateur steeplechase rider. He was elected a member of the Warrnambool racing club in 1901 and was president of the club for thirty-two years. He raced and rode horses for the love of the sport. He won the Villiers and Heytesbury Hunt Cup in the 1870s on his own horse, Ventura. In the year he died his horse Flavedo won the Warrnambool Grand Annual steeplechase. It was a sensational race. All of the contestants fell, or lost their riders. When Flavedo baulked at a jump, its jockey R. Sweetman, remounted and completed the course to win the race. All of the Lindsays were passionately fond of the thoroughbred horse. Nell Lindsay talking to the author in the drawing room of Quamby homestead - with many memories for her of its lavish years – said of a brother that he was put on a horse when he was two years old and never got off. William Lindsay junior made Union into a fine, high-producing property, breeding cattle and horses. He added to the bluestone house that David Kennedy started, established plantations of pines and gums, and made an attractive garden. WARRNAMBOOL MECHANICS’ INSTITUTE Warrnambool's Mechanics' Institute (or Institution as it was sometimes called) was one of the earliest in Victoria. On 17th October 1853 a meeting was held where it was resolved to request the Lieutenant Governor of the Colony to grant land for the erection of a Mechanics' Institutes building. A committee was formed at the meeting and Richard Osburne chaired the first meeting of this committee. The land on the North West corner of Banyan and Merri Streets was granted but there were no funds to erect the building. The Formal Rights of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute's encompassed its aims and these were officially adopted in1859; "This Institution has for its object the diffusion of literary, scientific, and other useful knowledge amongst its members, excluding all controversial subjects, religious or political. These objects are sought to be obtained by means of a circulating library, a reading room, the establishment of classes, debates, and the occasional delivery of lectures on natural and experimental philosophy, mechanics, astronomy, chemistry, natural history, literature, and the useful and ornamental arts, particularly those which have a more immediate reference to the colony." The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute opened its first meeting room in November1854 in the National School building at the corner of Banyan and Timor Streets. The Institute was funded by member subscription, payable on a quarterly, half yearly or yearly basis. Samuel Hannaford, the Manager of the Warrnambool Bank of Australasia, was the first Honorary Secretary of the Mechanics' Institutes, and an early President and Vice-President. He also gave several of the early lectures in the Reading Room. Another early Secretary, Librarian and lecturer was Marmaduke Fisher, the teacher at the National School. Lecture topics included The Poets and Poetry of Ireland', 'The Birth and Development of the Earth', 'The Vertebrae - with Remarks on the pleasures resulting from the study of Natural History' and 'Architecture'. In 1856 the Reading Room was moved to James Hider's shop in Timor Street, and by 1864 it was located in the bookshop of Davies and Read. In the 1860's the Mechanics' Institute struggled as membership waned but in 1866, after a series of fund raising efforts, the committee was able to purchase land in Liebig Street, on a site then called Market Square, between the weighbridge and the fire station. A Mechanics' Institute building was opened at this site in August 1871. The following year four more rooms were added to the main Reading Room and in 1873 the Artisan School of Design was incorporated into the Institute. The same year Joseph Archibald established a Museum; however it deteriorated when he was transferred to Bendigo in 1877. In 1880, with Archibald's return to Warrnambool, the Museum was re-established, and in 1885 a new building was built at the back of the Institute to accommodate the re-created School of Design, the Art Gallery and the Museum. In 1887 the Museum section was moved to the former court house in Timor Street (for some time the walls of the building formed part of the TAFE cafeteria but all is now demolished)). In 1911 the Museum was transferred back to the original building and the management of the Mechanics' Institute was handed over to the Warrnambool City Council. The Museum and Art Gallery became one and housed many fine works of art, and the Library continued to grow. The building was well patronised, with records showing that at the beginning of the 20th century there were between 500 and 800 visitors. During World War One the monthly figures were in the thousands, with 3,400 people visiting in January 1915. The Museum was a much loved Institution in Warrnambool until the contents of the Museum and Art Gallery were removed to make room for the Warrnambool City Council Engineers' Department. The contents were stored but many of the items were scattered or lost. When the original building was demolished the site became occupied by the Civic Centre, which included the new City Library. (The library was temporarily located in the old Palais building in Koroit Street.) In the process of reorganisation the Collection was distributed amongst the community groups: -The new City Library took some of the historic books and some important documents, historic photographs and newspapers. -The Art Gallery kept the 19th Century art collection and some of the artefacts from the museum. -The Historic Society has some items -The State Museum has some items -Some items were destroyed -Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village has old newspapers, Government Gazettes, most of the Mechanics' Institute Library, ledgers and documents connected to the Mechanics' Institute Library, some framed and unframed art works and some photographs. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute Library book collection is deemed to be of great importance because it is one of the few collections in an almost intact state, and many of the books are now very rare and of great value. THE PATTISON COLLECTION This book is also part of the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library, as the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute was then called. When the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969. References: Document, Flagstaff Hill, ‘Mechanics’ Institute Collection’: Email re W. Lindsay Esq. - John Lindsay to Kerry Peterson, Flagstaff Hill archives; document “Re: Ralph Eric Pattison”] Mechanics' Institutes of Victoria Pg ix, 283; Of Many Things – a History of Warrnambool Shire, C.E.Sayers, 2nd edition, 1987, Shire of Warrnambool Significance Assessment, Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Books, FHMV, 2010 The History of Warrnambool, R. Osburne, 1887, p.72, p. 283 The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute – FHMV datasheet Web; The Birds of Australia (Matthews), Wikipedia
The Birds of Australia by Gregory M. Matthews is now considered a rare and valuable scientific and historic work on its own. These 12 volumes were donated in 1934 to The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute and were included as part of the Pattison Collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.
Label on spine cover with typed text RA 598.2994 MAT Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library that reads “Presented by W. Lindsay Esq. ‘Union’ Woolsthrope” Accession Number: 15233 Date Received: 3-34 “W. Lindsay” embossed in gold on front cover, bottom right of book
Stawell Historical Society Inc, Stawell
Two colour photos of Stawell Railway Station. View from Napier Street 1988.
Bialik College, Hawthorn East 3123
Year 4S, 1995. First Row: ..., Jonathon Goldwasser, Zachary Gomo, Julia Freidgeim, Paul Tescher, Deon Kamien, Julia Dubowitz. Second Row: Ari Horton, Anne Epstein, Mordi Adamson-Pinczewski, Roma Leviev, Jonathon Green, Michael Gubieski, Adam Black. Third Row: Ben Froumine, Joel Snyder, Roma Batchin, Natalia Coppel, Joshua Glanc, Joshua Krasnostein, James Silbert, Joshua Davidson. Teacher (second row): Ms Helen Scheuer.
Clunes Museum, Clunes
BIRTHDAY CARD FOR OCTOBER WITH A OPAL IN THE CENTER OF A FLOWER
Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura
Blue hard covered book, white printing. Blue dust cover. Birds (2) and koala bear on front, rough map and birds, koala, Pelican, Penquin, seal and crab on the back of the dust cover.
Bequeathed to the Museum by Y. Greig by her Executor B. Hotchin.
Phillip Island in Picture & Story
Victoria Police Museum, Docklands
Sepia toned photograph of four mounted police and their horses. One man is mounted on his horse while the other three are holding theirs by the reins. Each man is also holding a rifle.
"...Kelly" (majority of inscription has been torn away)
Port Fairy Historical Society Museum and Archives, Port Fairy
Tin 1 - Round with orange trim 3lb with lid Tin 2 - Round with blue trim 3lb with lid Tin 3 - Round with blue trim 1lb with lid
On the bottom of Tin 3 1LB Use Before Feb Mar Pack Nov 1948 Hand Written - Tony Bell
1. Glaxo Modified Milk Food Enriched with Vitamin D (Glaxo Laboratories) 2. & 3. Glaxo Progressive Milk Food for Older Children Enriched with Vitamin D (Glaxo Laboratories)
Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre Heritage Collection, Surrey Hills
Copies made of some of the editions of the 'Home Front News'. The editor was George Leslie Rayment and the newsletter was produced for the Surrey Hills Methodist Church's congregation.
The newsletters cover the period during the Second World War from August 1943 to February 1946 with 19 editions. These were produced every few months. They include some personal notices, church news, baptisms. There are a few biographies of those who enlisted, in the last edition. George Leslie Rayment (born 1894, Surrey Hills; died 1976, Blackburn) married Grace Lewis in Surrey Hills in 1918. They had 2 daughters - Norma Leslie (1923-1996) and Dr Dulcie Grace Rayment, a noted obstetrician & gynaecologist (died 2014). George Rayment was the donor's wife's grandfather.
Tennis Australia, Melbourne
An Army & Navy wooden hard racquets racquet, with solid concave throat, string whipping over cloth taped reinforced shoulders, and cloth-backed vinyl wrapped around a form of carpet underlay for the handle grip. Retailer's name impressed into shaft on obverse. Materials: Wood, Metal, Glue, Lacquer, Gut, Cloth tape, String, Leather, Vinyl, Carpet
Diamond Valley Vietnam Veterans Sub Branch,
South Vietnamese Army Backpack. Canvas; comprising straps, backpack and pouches
Example of Army of South Vietnam issue backpack.
An example of equipment as issued to Army of South Vietnam.
Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool
This is a clear glass bottle. It has a round base and a rounded body tapering in the neck to a round moulded open top. The stopper or seal is missing. The bottle has embedded lettering with details of the manufacturer of the contents.
This bottle came from the Warrnambool aerated waters manufacturer, John Fletcher. This factory was commenced in the mid 19th century by John Davis. As a young boy John Fletcher worked in the cordial factory of John Rowley in Banyan Street, Warrnambool and then worked for John Davis at his Union Cordial Factory for many years. In 1885 he succeeded John Davis in this business. Fletcher’s business continued until1930 when it was bought by another soft drinks manufacturer, Ralph Reeves. John Fletcher manufactured aerated waters, soda, tonic water, lemonade, ginger ale, hop beer, hop bitters, sarsaparilla and cordials.
This bottle is of interest because it is a John Fletcher bottle and he was a prominent soft drinks manufacturer in Warrnambool for over 40 years.
‘John Fletcher Trade Mark (crown symbol) Warrnambool’ ‘This bottle is the property of John Fletcher Warrnambool & cannot be legally used by others’
Inverloch Historical Society, Inverloch