Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Collecting Fire: A new kind of practice

7 Feb 2019

“While museums have traditionally aspired to collect “the real thing” and to create repositories of tangible evidence of our collective past, the essence of this project and its emerging collection was in making real the intangible through personal stories, symbols, and metaphors – giving form to matters of the heart. A new kind of museum practice was therefore needed.” - Sites of Trauma: Contemporary Collecting and Natural Disaster

Curated By

Lauren McAlary, Veterans Heritage Project Manager

150628 items

close

150628 items

Newspaper Clipping - Tables set at Plaza's new dining precinct

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

News clipping, black text and colour image.

Historical information

A new dining precinct opened at Greensborough Plaza in December 2016.

Photograph - Clean up of gully at rear of the new Eltham Little Theatre building during final construction, 1603 Main Road, Research, c.November 1987

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Photograph

Nhill & District Historical Society Inc., Nhill

Trooper James Conway

Maps

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Maps (3) framed-Portuguese of Sumatra, Jave Le Grande and the Northern part of Australia - "Iaua la grande."

web page - Eureka Stockade - the film was first screened in the Athenaeum Hall, Melbourne on 19 October 1907.

Melbourne Athenaeum Archives, Melbourne

Newspaper Article - Dr. Hearn at The Melbourne Athenaeum Hall re Central Province Election spoke on 20 August 1878

Melbourne Athenaeum Archives, Melbourne

Photograph - Interior of the driver's cabin of a Tait (Red Rattler) train, 6 December 1980

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital TIFF file Scan of 35mm Ilford FP4 black and white transparency

Historical information

View from driver's cabin

Template

Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia Inc,

template, 3 similar

Historical information

This item is part of the Thomas Caine Tool Collection, owned by The National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and curated by the Hand Tools Preservation Association of Australia.

Stencil

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Inscriptions & Markings

GERMANY

Documents - 2009-2010 Finance - Corinella Mark Lodge

Freemasons Victoria - Southern Cross Lodge No. 24 (Maldon), Maldon

Headgear Camo net

Ringwood RSL Sub-Branch, Ringwood

Khaki net to go over Brodie Pattern WW2 Tin Helmet.

Korean Currency and N.A.T.O. Forces Notes

RSL Waverley Sub Branch , Glen Waverley

5 Currency notes issued by Korean Government and R.A.A.F. denominations of 100, 100 Won and 1 shilling

Historical information

Used during Korean War Won (1947-) Main article: North Korean won After the division of Korea, North Korea continued using the Korean yen for 2 years until the Central Bank of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea was established on December 6, 1947 and a new currency was issued. It was at the time pegged at par to the Soviet ruble. It was revalued at a rate of one hundred to one in February 1959 and new won were issued. In the following years the won faced some devaluation, caused by the subsequent devaluation and redenomination of the Soviet ruble. From 1978 to 2001, the North Korean government maintained an iconic rate of 2.16 won to the US dollar; since then banks in the country exchange at rates closer to the black market rate. However, rampant inflation has been eroding the North Korean wŏn's value to such an extent that currently it is believed to be worth about the same as the South Korean wŏn. In any case, the U.S. dollar and other currencies are still worth more in North Korean wŏn on the black market than officially. South Korean currencies[edit] Won (1945-1953)[edit] Main article: South Korean won (1945) Following the end of the division of Korea, the won was introduced to replace the Korean yen. The won was subdivided in 100 jeon. The first banknotes were issued by the Bank of Joseon in denominations ranging from 5 jeon to 100 won. In 1950 the currency management switched to the Bank of Korea and new notes were then issued, mostly with higher denominations. The first note put in circulation by the Bank of Korea in 1950 was printed in Japan by the National Printing Bureau (国立印刷局). The next year the Korea Minting and Security Printing Corporation was created and took over as printer of South Korean currency. At the time of the introduction in 1945 the won was pegged to the Japanese yen at a rate of 1 won = 1 yen. In October of the same year the anchor currency got change to the US dollar at a rate of 15 won = 1 dollar. Toward the end of the Korean War the won was devaluated at 6000 won = 1 dollar. Following that the hwan was introduced as the new currency at a rate of 1 hwan = 100 won. Hwan (1953-1962)[edit] Main article: South Korean hwan Due to devaluation of the won the hwan was introduced on February 15, 1953 at the rate of 1 hwan = 100 won. It was subdivided in 100 jeon, but they were never used. New banknotes in denominations between 10 and 1000 hwan were issued. Starting in 1959, 10 and 50 hwan coins were also issued to replace the lower denomination notes. Those were the first circulating coins in South Korea. Due to the short notice of the change in currency, the first series of the new notes was commissioned from the United States Government Printing Office. The notes were released in five denominations, all with an identical design. Some replacement notes with a more suited Korean theme were later issued, starting with the 100 hwan just a month later. The hwan suffered from inflation as well. At its introduction, it was pegged to the United States dollar at 1 dollar = 60 hwan, but toward the end of its life it was devaluated at 1 dollar = 1250 hwan. In 1962, the won was reintroduced at the rate of 1 won = 10 hwan. The 10 and 50 hwan coins were kept in circulation until March 22, 1975.

Document, newspaper - The Red and White Diamond

Melbourne Legacy, Melbourne

A copy of the Red and White Diamond field newspaper published for the troops in World War I.

Historical information

An issue of the Field Newspaper of the 24th Battalion by the 24th Battalion Press printed entirely in the field. This edition is Volume 1 No.5, the Xmas Number 1918. The articles summarise battles that the 24th had been involved in, greetings from the Commanders, and news of the battalion. This issue has photographs of the officers who have had long service with the Battalion including Lieut.-Col. W.E. James, Col W.W.R. Watson, Maj. W.H. Ellwood, Capt. F.P. Selleck, and Capt. A.A. Ball. Was with other World War 1 memorabilia that has come from Frank Doolan.

Significance

A record of publications made for the troops in World War 1.

Inscriptions & Markings

From L/tee F. Doolan in black pen

Typewriter

Parks Victoria - Gabo Island Lightstation, Gabo Island

1. Black and white plastic and metal typewriter. 2. Grey vinyl typewriter cover.

Historical information

The black and white manual typewriter is made of plastic and metal by the Swiss company,Hermes. The model name ‘Ambassador’ and the series number M82, indicate that the typewriter was made sometime between 1953 and 1965. It demonstrates the working operations of the lightstation under the Commonwealth Lighthouse Service when it was managed by the Department of Transport, which introduced a number of modernising initiatives during this period.

Significance

It has second level contributory significance for its historic value as an original item of office equipment. It demonstrates the working operations of the lightstation under the Commonwealth Lighthouse Service when it was managed by the Department of Transport, which introduced a number of modernising initiatives during this period.

Inscriptions & Markings

2. On cover,"HERMES / Ambassador / FABRICATION SUISSE / MADE IN SWITZERLAND / D" : 1. On typewriter," M82". On label, " C.of A / D.O.T. 143851".

Quinn Letter - Letter

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Three-page letter written to Allan (0817.a1-3) from his father, Stanley Quinn, on three sheets of lined cream-coloured paper, headed Liddesdale Avenue, Frankston and dated 25.07.49. The envelope (0817.b) is buff-coloured. Also found in this envelope is a single-sided, two-page letter written on thin off-white lined paper (0817.c1-2) to Allan from his friend Norm headed 1 Selwyn Street, Artarmon, dated 27.07.49. Enclosed with 0817.c are two small black and white photographs (0817.d1-2). 0817.d1 shows a small boy with a model airplane and 0817.d2 the model airplane from a different angle.

Historical information

Letter 0817a; the writer refers to Allan's 21st birthday and his recent letter from Rio. He also writes of prices rising in Australia, the coal strike, and that 'Sydney especially is badly hit'. He also recommends Allan see a film called 'The Secret Land', a record of an American Naval Expedition to the South Pole, if he gets the opportunity. Letter is signed 'Your loving Dad, Stanley Quinn'. Writer of 0817d also refers to Allan's 21st birthday and the coal strike which has affected manufacturing and the availability of materials, especially bricks as all the brickworks are closed down. The letter is signed 'Your Pal Norm'.

Significance

Quinn Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

Letter 0817a is written on the reverse side of three pages of the Melbourne Stevedoring Company's Cargo Tally sheets. The envelope is pre-stamped with an embossed profile of King George V and a crown in white on a red, oval background. Postage is two and a half pence. Envelope is addressed to Allan C/- Swedish Seaman's Union, 156 Montague Street, Brooklyn, New York, USA. The postmark is torn. There is a blue air-mail sticker on the upper left-hand corner. 0817d; On the left wing of the model airplane is printed MAA, on the right wing - 17. There are pencilled marks on the back of each photograph.

Racquet

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

Two Dunlop Club 2, wood/composite squash racquets, with string whipping around shoulders, and cotton handle grip, still sealed in original plastic wrap. Materials: Wood, Composite Materials, Nylon, Ink, String, Adhesive tape, Cotton, Plastic, Lacquer, Glue

Photograph - Colour - Corellas

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Colour photographs on the window ledge of the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre at the Federation University Mount Helen Campus.

Photograph

Stawell Historical Society Inc, Stawell

Historical information

Portrait Alice Laidlaw (nee McCulloch) as a Bride from Woodlands

Folder - 1995 Australia Remembers

Ballarat RSL Sub-Branch Inc., Invermay Park

Various Newspaper Clippings

Photograph - (Abstract) 2004

Federation University Australia Art Collection ,

Historical information

This item is part of the Federation University Art Collection. The Art Collection features over 1000 works and was listed as a 'Ballarat Treasure' in 2007.

Photograph - Railway smash

Sunbury & District Heritage Association Inc, Sunbury

A black and white photograph with a white border in postcard format of a rail accident where some of the carriages are on their side and workman are in the railway yard inspecting the damage.

Historical information

The photograph has recorded rail smash which occurred at Sunbury on 17th April 1919 when a stock train crashed into a goods train. It caused a lot of damage to the rolling stock and blocked rail traffic on the Bendigo and Maryborough lines. The driver and the firemen of the stock train were injured.

Significance

This accident is only one of a number which have happened on the Sunbury Bendigo rail track over the years.

Poster - Ballarat School of Mines Art Exhibition 1994

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Ink pattern on 8 sheets of paper adhered to board

Navigation Chart - Sea of Okhotsk

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

British Admiralty Navigation Chart - Sea of Okhotsk

Newsletter - August 2013

Mount Alexander Vintage Engine Club Inc., Castlemaine

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A black and white photofgrasph of the completed Sunbury Library with the landscaped garden.

Historical information

On 27 June 1973 the Sunbury Library was officially opened.

Technical Drawing Pen

Wannon Water, Warrnambool

TG1.S Technical Drawing Pen with 0.35 Thickness Point

Historical information

Used by Engineers for hand drawing plans. Used during 1980's. Hand drawing of plans was required prior to the use of digital plotters.

Inscriptions & Markings

TG1.S

Cartons stored off-site - Carton Awaiting cataloguing:labelled 20 Scouts - Ringwood & District - correspondence, reports

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Carton labelled 20 Scouts - Ringwood & District - correspondence, reports

Book, Knitting - Patons Knitting Book no. 637

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

One of a collection of 56 knitting pattern books donated by Mrs Hilma Carruthers. These books had been used by Mrs Carruthers, her mother and her two daughters. This book was produced by Patons and Baldwins and contains knitting patterns for mens garments.

Inscriptions & Markings

Patons JET and TOTEM / PATONS BOOK / No. 637 / Patons / KNITTING BOOK 637 / WITH T.V. DESIGNS / 2'3

Photograph - N. J. Tillings Timber Factory, 15 June, 1975

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

1 black and white photograph printed with white border

Historical information

N. J. Tillings Timber Factory was part of the Brougham Street, Light industrial area, Eltham. This is one of 7 B/W 8x10 inch photos with notes on obverse by Dick Crichton. Accompanying letter from Florence Chrichton 2013 : "Originally sent to Shire of Eltham Engineer, Mr. McDonald. [These photographs were part of their campaign to the Shire of Eltham in 1975] claiming that the zoning regulations were being breached by the occupants of various factories in the nearby light industrial zone [Brougham Street, Eltham] - to the detriment of those living in adjoining residential zones, and that, despite .. earlier objections and complaints, nothing was done about it." "The Tilling Group was established in November 1963 and began as a small factory in Eltham Victoria. The company now has large, modern offices and warehouses in most major cities across Australia" - http://www.tilling.com.au/about-us

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed on back: "N.J. Tillings 3rd and recently installed extractor fan at rear of premises. Eltham Council Officers continue to state that such installations require no permit even though the installation involves a change in the nature of the firm's operations. Residents believe that this firm (and others) are no longer classifiable as 'light industrial.' Do residents have to act as watch-dogs to see that regulations are observed or will council officers in future carry out their obligations to do so."

PHOTOGRAPH

Clunes Museum, Clunes

.1 COLOURED PHOTOGRAPH NATIONAL HOTEL, FRASER STREET, CLUNES. MALE PERSON LEANING AGAINST VERANDAH POST .2 LAMINATED COPY OF THE ABOVE PHOTOGRAPH

Historical information

COLOURED PHOTOGRAPH NATIONAL HOTEL. CLUNES HOTELS - NOW AND THEN. THIS PHOTOGRAPH WAS ON DISPLAY AT SMEATON MILL OPEN DAY, 2001.

Inscriptions & Markings

REVERSE SIDE : ENTERPRISE VISION PTY. LTD. ABN 95 005 604 544. COPYRIGHT 2001 CLUNES, VICTORIA.