Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Talking Shop: Ballarat in Business and City Life at Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

27 Jun 2019

Curated By

Amy Tsilemanis, Curator, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

155281 items

close

155281 items

A black and white photographic postcard

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photographic postcard of a woman dressed in a vibrant floral dress with string of pearls and another longer necklace. She has a brooch attached to her blouse. She has cropped straight hair and is wearing circular metal framed spectacles.

Historical information

John Trestrail Freeman was an engineer who in 1889, with a partner named Olsen, established Freeman's Border Foundry in Murray Esplanade, Echuca. The Foundry later became known as Freeman Brothers when sons Harry and Tres took over the business. This business played an important part in shipbuilding in Echuca, fitting engines, building paddlewheels and carrying out repairs. It is thought this photograph is of Tres' mother or it could be his wife (Dolly Dean).

Significance

The Freeman family is an important family in the history of Echuca boat building and engineering in the early 20th century. The business produced paddlewheels, fitted engines and conducted repairs on riverboats in the area. After the riverboats ceased the foundry went into engineering works producing agricultural implements and other general foundry works. It is thought that this photograph is of Tres junior's mother but the dates of the photograph would indicate it is more likely to be his wife, Dolly.

Inscriptions & Markings

On reverse: Printed "Post card/ Correspondence/ address only/Kodak Austral". Handwritten in pencil:" Member of Freeman family. Tres' mother?

A black and white photographic postcard

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photographic postcard showing the Campaspe river, Echuca, in flood, with a man rowing a racing scull.

Historical information

Photographic Postcards were very popular in the early 20th century and this shows the Campaspe river, Echuca in flood. The high water mark is exemplified by having the rower on the water. The water has inundated the surrounding bush with trees partly submerged along the right hand side of the photograph.

Significance

Rowing clubs were popular in towns along the Murray river and this picturesque scene of the Campaspe river , Echuca in flood shows a man rowing a racing scull down the river.

Inscriptions & Markings

On face : "Campaspe River, Echuca". On reverse: printed in ink :" Post Card. This space may be used for correspondence. For address only. Place penny stamp here." In pencil is written: "Aug Sep Oct 1906 Flood" "Donation H V Evans 85 Fullers Rd Chatswood NSW." " Echuca Regional Library" is stamped but has been crossed out in pen.

A black and white photograph of a drawing. - Black and white photograph of a drawing depicting the construction of the iron Murray Bridge, at Echuca, showing Surveyor, bridge workers, hoists, a crane, and much activity.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of a drawing, depicting the construction of the iron Murray Bridge at Echuca, showing the Surveyor, the bridge workers, hoists , a crane, and much activity.

Historical information

Original negative and photograph held by The Age, before by Orm Cook, Echuca. Photo is of a drawing of Bridge work taking place in 1877, across Murray River at Echuca. Orm Cook gave The Age the photograph in 1981 as the round arches on the bridge were about to be removed.

Significance

A bridge crossing of the Murray River was needed by 1877. It linked Echuca and Moama in a more tangible way. The bridge was funded privately and public use of it was discussed for the next several years.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written in pen on the back, "Murray Bridge at Echuca under construction. Original to 'Age' came from Orm Cook. Also the numbers 6530 written in pen. Also on the back is a rectangular stamp with these words inside the rectangle. "COPYRIGHT. This photograph may not be reproduced without permission in writing from the Editor of "The Age" 250 Spencer Street, Melbourne, and 39/41 York St, Sydney.

A black and white photograph of three men working on a lock.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of three men working on a lock somewhere on the Murray River in South Australia. The device they are using is called a lock capstan.

Historical information

This photograph shows three men opening a lock, manually using a lock capstan. The men are fit and strong. The river behind them appears to be very high. Not sure what the era is, but is obviously before looks were mechanised. The devise they are using is called a lock capstan.

Significance

This photograph shows how locks were manually opened to allow river transport to proceed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on the back in lead pencil Price. Opening up lock -probably Lock 7, Renmark. Maybe Euston.

A black and white postcard

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white postcard showing Goulburn Road, Echuca East, in either the 1906, or 1916 floods.

Historical information

The postcard is significant because it shows the extent of the flood in the early 20th Century. The bridge crosses the Southern Cross channel which had been built as part of the Murray Darling irrigation system. There is a vehicle on the bridge either being towed by bullocks or horses. Floodwaters cover the whole view.

Significance

The postcard is significant because it shows the extent of the flood in the early 20th Century. The bridge crosses the Southern Cross channel which had been built as part of the Murray Darling irrigation system. It is also near the water filtration plant which filters the town's water supply. There is a vehicle on the bridge either being towed by bullocks or horses. Floodwaters cover the whole view.

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed on the back are the words; W. Grimwood Echuca. POST CARD. Correspondence Address Only Kodak Australia. Hand written on the back are the words 1906 or 1916? Southern Cross bridge near filtration plant. Goulburn Road, Echuca East.

A black and white rectangular photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white rectangular photograph of the new stem post being fitted to the P.S Pevensey, whilst resting on the Moama slipway. The stem post was only one task in the complete restoration of the P.S Pevensey which happened in September 1975. There is a piece of chain attached to a crane at the top of the stem post. On the side of the Pevensey is a plaque with many lines of writing on it. The heading on the plaque says P.S. Pevensey.

Historical information

This photograph is significant because it shows one of the tasks involved with the restoration of the P.S. Pevensey which took place in 1974/75. Kevin Hutchinson had come to Echuca from Mildura when the City of Echuca bought the Pevensey. He was responsible for the task of restoring the paddle steamer. He continued to work at the Port of Echuca until his death in 2016. In 1990 he received an Order of Australia medal for his contribution to the Port of Echuca.

Significance

This photograph is historically significant because the P.S Pevensey had come from Mildura to Echuca in the early 1970's to help develop Echuca's tourism industry. Kevin Hutchinson moved to Echuca with the paddle steamer , and was involved in the restoration. Kevin continued to work at the Port of Echuca until his death in 2016. He was also awarded an Order of Australia medal in 1990 for his work at the Port of Echuca.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the front of the photograph can be seen a plaque with the heading P.S Pevensey. The plaque is covered with writing which cannot be read. On the back of the photograph, in black ink is written the following words, ' Pevensey restoration 1974/75. New stem post being fitted.'

Aboriginal artefacts

Anglesea and District Historical Society, Anglesea

ABORIGINAL GRINDING STONE

Clunes Museum, Clunes

ROCK SHAPED BY ABORIGINALS FOR GRINDING PURPOSES

Historical information

GRINDING STONE - MULLER - TOP STONE FOR GRINDING

ABORIGINAL GRINDING STONE

Clunes Museum, Clunes

SHAPED BY ABORIGINE STONE

Historical information

TOP GRINDING STONE USED TO GRIND NUTS, ROOTS ETC. TO MAKE FLOUR FOR FOOD

Aboriginal grinding stone

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A large rock of generally oval shape and with a number of flatish surfaces and hole indentations which were identified by archaeologist Dr Joanna Freslov 2.6.2008 as being used by Aboriginal people as a grinding or tool-sharpening stone.

Historical information

This large and very heavy stone was donated by Albert Emphield. Where he found it is unknown, but he worked in the Orbost forest areas and lived at Cabbage Tree Creek.

Significance

Aboriginal usage, tool manufacture.

Aboriginal Grinding Stone

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Large concave stone. Nardoo Stone of Nanya Tribe.

Aboriginal grinding stone (mortar).

Donald History and Natural History Group operating the Donald Court House Museum, Donald

Stone

Historical information

This grinding stone (mortar) was used by Aboriginal people to grind or crush different materials such as berries and seeds for food production. In order to grind material, a smaller upper stone (the pestle) would have been used to grind material against this lower stone (the mortar). The stone was found by a farmer on land south of Donald in the 1950’s and was used as a door stop in the family home for many years. In the 1990's the stone was used by the farmer's grandaughter at her home at Swanwater West, to hold the lid down on an above ground swimming pool skimmer box.

Aboriginal painting - Jack Wherra - Ancestral Spirit Dancers: Djumba

Burrinja Cultural Centre, Upwey

Two Djumba figures, both male on black background. Ochres on Canvas.

Aboriginal painting - Paddy Jampin Jaminji - The Hills of Bedford Station

Burrinja Cultural Centre, Upwey

Large painting on board of symbolic landscape. Brown, yellow, cream and white. Framed.

Historical information

In around 1924 a band of Gija people crossed fences onto their traditional land near Bedford Downs Station in the East Kimberley 2000 km northeast of Perth and killed nine head of cattle. This act precipitated one of the massacres to become known as the 'killing times'. Paddy Quilty, the station owner of Bedford Downs had his men collect wagon loads of firewood which was distributed around the camp. He then invited everyone to assemble for their rations. The food, laced with strychnine, was handed out. As the Gija people fell down dying in agony, they were shot. The firewood was used to burn the bodies. One boy escaped to the the story. Paddy Jamin Jaminji (c.1922-1997) painted The Hills of Bedford Downs Station as part of a series of painting about the Killing Times. It depicts the story and sites of the massacre. At least twelve killing sites are recorded within a radius of 150 km of Turkey Creek, WA. The painting was possibly discarded due to its damage in one corner and later collected from an old shelter at Warmun on a field trip by collector Neil McLeod in 1995.

Aboriginal painting - Rover Thomas Joomala - Mount House

Burrinja Cultural Centre, Upwey

Mostly black surface with an area of white on the right side and a brown band near the top, lined with white dots. Work show the 'black soil country'. Ochres on Canvas.

ABORIGINAL STONE AXE

Clunes Museum, Clunes

ABORIGINAL STONE AXE

Historical information

HEAD OF ABORIGINAL STONE AXE, FOUND IN BALLARAT.

Above the starry frame

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Paperback book. Front cover: image of houses surrounded by fields; image of Irwin's Provincial Hotel with people and horses and carts; white and black lettering.

Historical information

Biography of William Irwin who migrated to Australia in 1850. He was a digger and a publican during the gold rush in Ballarat. He was publican at the Star Hotel, John O'groats Hotel and the Provincial Hotel. The Star Hotel was closely connected with the story of the Eureka Stockade. The book in part draws from family correspondence.

Significance

The book's author, Helen Townsend, is Irwin's great-granddaughter. Relevance to the history of Ballarat, gold mining and the Eureka Stockade. Biographical interest - William Irwin.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: title and author. Back cover: book synopsis; praise for the book by Tom Keneally.

Abraham Lincoln (Don Woodward Collection)

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Book; 128 pages. Cover: light brown background; red embellishments; black lettering; title.

Historical information

A biography of Abraham Lincoln from boyhood to assassination (1809-1865). Lincoln was a lawyer and politician who served as the sixteenth president of the USA. He was assassinated in 1865.

Significance

History and politics - USA. Biographical interest - Abraham Lincoln.

Inscriptions & Markings

Black ink, "??? Combs?, from his father, 14th July 1909". Pencil, "Bob Tarrant, 1927".

A brave new workplace : will the Howard government's workplace reforms make Australia better off? And how will they affect your job?

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

VHS.

Historical information

The struggle between the Howard government and the labour movement over the Work Choices legislation. Includes interviews with key players - for example, Greg Combet and John Howard - and reported by Sally Neighbour.

Significance

Relevant to the union movement and changes in workplace rights. Pertains to the history of the government of John Howard (1996-2007).

A bright future for the Ballarat Station Precinct

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Glossy light card. White background, green and black text, colour pictures of the precinct, Victorian State Government logo. One A4 flyer printed both sides.

Historical information

This leaflet is a project update about proposed redevelopment of the Ballarat railway station precinct. The project to be funded by the Victorian State Government, the Pellicano Group, Spotless and Quest.

Significance

Of community and economic significance to the Ballarat region. Impacts upon work opportunities for the community and access to the Ballarat railway station for employees and goods and services. Possible tourism growth in the region. Indicative of government position.

A brush with history : the Painters Union and the Australian labour movement

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Paper; book. Front cover: white background; red and black text; colour image of the union banner.

Historical information

History of the Painters Union.

Significance

Of historical significance to the union movement in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: title and author's name.

Absence Register for Teachers - Boorhaman East State School No 3317

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Paper book, listing teacher absences from June 1926 through to August 1975. Includes teachers names, and reasons for absence. Handwritten front cover title

Historical information

School closed in 1970's

Abstract - 'WW.01.20.2000' by Wes Walters

Federation University Australia Art Collection ,

Historical information

Wes Walters was a student at the Ballarat Technical Art School. This item is part of the Federation University Art Collection. The Art Collection features over 1000 works and was listed as a 'Ballarat Treasure' in 2007.

Abstract Painting

Brimbank City Council, Sunshine

Abstract Painting (Faces)

Abstract Painting

Brimbank City Council, Sunshine

Abstract Painting

Abstract Painting

Brimbank City Council, Sunshine

Abstract Painting

Abstract Painting

Brimbank City Council, Sunshine

Abstract Painting

Academic Bonnet

Geoffrey Kaye Museum of Anaesthetic History, Melbourne

Navy blue velvet cloth bonnet with stiffened brim covered in same fabric as bonnet. Around the hat is tied a gold cord with tassels.

Historical information

This academic bonnet belonged to Dr Mary Burnell. Mary Taylor Burnell was born on 21 February 1907, in Norwood, South Australia. She graduated with her MBBS in 1931. In 1932, Burnell served as a resident medical officer at Adelaide Children’s Hospital. By 1934 she was their Honorary Anaesthetist. It was also during this period that Burnell became the first female member of the Australian Society of Anaesthetists. One year later, in 1935, she worked as Secretary for the South Australian Section of the Society. Although resigning from her position at the Children’s Hospital in 1937, Burnell returned in 1942. The outbreak of World War II meant hospital staff and resources were drained. During her work, Burnell lobbied for a Department of Anaesthetics in the Children’s Hospital. Through working at both hospitals, she became aware of the great differences between administering anaesthesia to children and administering it to adults. In 1953 she was elected President of the Australian Society of Anaesthetists. She was the first female to be elected to this position. Two years later in 1955, Burnell was elected as a member of the Board of Faculty of Anaesthetists, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. In 1966 she was elected Dean of the Faculty of Anaesthetists. Again, she was the first female to be elected to this position. Burnell worked tirelessly to promote the importance of anaesthetics in Australia. Burnell’s contributions to anaesthetics were recognised with Honorary Fellowships to both the Australian Faculty of Anaesthetists and Royal College of Surgeons.

Academic gown and mortarboard

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Academic gown and mortarboard belonging to Mr John Stayt, teacher at Ballarat College, 1964-1993. Woollen academic gown; three quarter length, full sleeves. No hood or scarf. No embellishments.

Historical information

A woollen academic gown and mortarboard worn by John Stayt, school teacher 1964-1993.

Inscriptions & Markings

Silk label inside crown of hat: Made in England/Christy's London/Ryder & Amies/Cambridge Printed in ink on label: JMS (twice) Silk label sewn into backneckline of gown: University Robe Makers/Ryder & Amies/Cambridge Printed in ink on gown label: STAYT

Acceptance card

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Previous page