Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Talking Shop: Ballarat in Business and City Life at Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

27 Jun 2019

Curated By

Amy Tsilemanis, Curator, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

153679 items

close

153679 items

1

Polish Museum & Archives in Australia, Footscray

6891.06

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Fishing rod kit with three rod handles and two ends, stored in brown fabric bag (2 compartments and tape fastening). Part of the W.R. Angus Collection. (1) Cork rod handle with wooden rod, plus wooden rod end. (2) wooden rod handle with 'crocodile skin' pattern carved into handle. (3) wooden handle with yellow plastic rod and reel, and yyellow plastic rod end. Reel is Junior Capstan 14, Made in Australia.

Historical information

This fishing rod kit was donated to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village by the family of Doctor William Roy Angus, Surgeon and Oculist. It is part of the “W.R. Angus Collection” includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material once belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) as well as Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus, up until 1969. ABOUT THE “W.R.ANGUS COLLECTION” Doctor William Roy Angus M.B., B.S., Adel., 1923, F.R.C.S. Edin.,1928 (also known as Dr Roy Angus) was born in Murrumbeena, Victoria in 1901 and lived until 1970. He qualified as a doctor in 1923 at University of Adelaide, was Resident Medical Officer at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in 1924 and for a period was house surgeon to Sir (then Mr.) Henry Simpson Newland. Dr Angus was briefly an Assistant to Dr Riddell of Kapunda, then commenced private practice at Curramulka, Yorke Peninsula, SA, where he was physician, surgeon and chemist. In 1926, he was appointed as new Medical Assistant to Dr Thomas Francis Ryan (T.F. Ryan, or Tom), in Nhill, Victoria, where his experiences included radiology and pharmacy. In 1927 he was Acting House Surgeon in Dr Tom Ryan’s absence. Dr Angus had become engaged to Gladys Forsyth and they decided he further his studies overseas in the UK in 1927. He studied at London University College Hospital and at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and in 1928, was awarded FRCS (Fellow from the Royal College of Surgeons), Edinburgh. He worked his passage back to Australia as a Ship’s Surgeon on the on the Australian Commonwealth Line’s T.S.S. Largs Bay. Dr Angus married Gladys in 1929, in Ballarat. (They went on to have one son (Graham 1932, born in SA) and two daughters (Helen (died 12/07/1996) and Berenice (Berry), both born at Mira, Nhill ) According to Berry, her mother Gladys made a lot of their clothes. She was very talented and did some lovely embroidery including lingerie for her trousseau and beautifully handmade baby clothes. Dr Angus was a ‘flying doctor’ for the A.I.M. (Australian Inland Ministry) Aerial Medical Service in 1928 . Its first station was in the remote town of Oodnadatta, where Dr Angus was stationed. He was locum tenens there on North-South Railway at 21 Mile Camp. He took up this ‘flying doctor’ position in response to a call from Dr John Flynn; the organisation was later known as the Flying Doctor Service, then the Royal Flying Doctor Service. A lot of his work during this time involved dental surgery also. Between 1928-1932 he was surgeon at the Curramulka Hospital, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1933 Dr Angus returned to Nhill and purchased a share of the Nelson Street practice and Mira hospital (a 2 bed ward at the Nelson Street Practice) from Dr Les Middleton one of the Middleton Brothers, the current owners of what previously once Dr Tom Ryan’s practice. Dr Tom and his brother had worked as surgeons included eye surgery. Dr Tom Ryan performed many of his operations in the Mira private hospital on his premises. He had been House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1902-1926. Dr Tom Ryan had one of the only two pieces of radiology equipment in Victoria during his practicing years – The Royal Melbourne Hospital had the other one. Over the years Dr Tom Ryan had gradually set up what was effectively a training school for country general-practitioner-surgeons. Each patient was carefully examined, including using the X-ray machine, and any surgery was discussed and planned with Dr Ryan’s assistants several days in advance. Dr Angus gained experience in using the X-ray machine there during his time as assistant to Dr Ryan. When Dr Angus bought into the Nelson Street premises in Nhill he was also appointed as the Nhill Hospital’s Honorary House Surgeon 1933-1938. His practitioner’s plate from his Nhill surgery is now mounted on the doorway to the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool. When Dr Angus took up practice in the Dr Edward and Dr Tom Ryan’s old premises he obtained their extensive collection of historical medical equipment and materials spanning 1884-1926. A large part of this collection is now on display at the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village in Warrnambool. In 1939 Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool where he purchased “Birchwood,” the 1852 home and medical practice of Dr John Hunter Henderson, at 214 Koroit Street. (This property was sold in1965 to the State Government and is now the site of the Warrnambool Police Station. and an ALDI sore is on the land that was once their tennis court). The Angus family was able to afford gardeners, cooks and maids; their home was a popular place for visiting dignitaries to stay whilst visiting Warrnambool. Dr Angus had his own silk worm farm at home in a Mulberry tree. His young daughter used his centrifuge for spinning the silk. Dr Angus was appointed on a part-time basis as Port Medical Officer (Health Officer) in Warrnambool and held this position until the 1940’s when the government no longer required the service of a Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool; he was thus Warrnambool’s last serving Port Medical Officer. (Masters of immigrant ships arriving in port reported incidents of diseases, illness and death and the Port Medical Officer made a decision on whether the ship required Quarantine and for how long, in this way preventing contagious illness from spreading from new immigrants to the residents already in the colony.) Dr Angus was a member of the Australian Medical Association, for 35 years and surgeon at the Warrnambool Base Hospital 1939-1942, He served with the Australian Department of Defence as a Surgeon Captain during WWII 1942-45, in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W., completing his service just before the end of the war due to suffering from a heart attack. During his convalescence he carved an intricate and ‘most artistic’ chess set from the material that dentures were made from. He then studied ophthalmology at the Royal Melbourne Eye and Ear Hospital and created cosmetically superior artificial eyes by pioneering using the intrascleral cartilage. Angus received accolades from the Ophthalmological Society of Australasia for this work. He returned to Warrnambool to commence practice as an ophthalmologist, pioneering in artificial eye improvements. He was Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist to Warrnambool Base Hospital for 31 years. He made monthly visits to Portland as a visiting surgeon, to perform eye surgery. He represented the Victorian South-West subdivision of the Australian Medical Association as its secretary between 1949 and 1956 and as chairman from 1956 to 1958. In 1968 Dr Angus was elected member of Spain’s Barraquer Institute of Barcelona after his research work in Intrasclearal cartilage grafting, becoming one of the few Australian ophthalmologists to receive this honour, and in the following year presented his final paper on Living Intrasclearal Cartilage Implants at the Inaugural Meeting of the Australian College of Ophthalmologists in Melbourne In his personal life Dr Angus was a Presbyterian and treated Sunday as a Sabbath, a day of rest. He would visit 3 or 4 country patients on a Sunday, taking his children along ‘for the ride’ and to visit with him. Sunday evenings he would play the pianola and sing Scottish songs to his family. One of Dr Angus’ patients was Margaret MacKenzie, author of a book on local shipwrecks that she’d seen as an eye witness from the late 1880’s in Peterborough, Victoria. In the early 1950’s Dr Angus, painted a picture of a shipwreck for the cover jacket of Margaret’s book, Shipwrecks and More Shipwrecks. She was blind in later life and her daughter wrote the actual book for her. Dr Angus and his wife Gladys were very involved in Warrnambool’s society with a strong interest in civic affairs. He had an interest in people and the community They were both involved in the creation of Flagstaff Hill, including the layout of the gardens. After his death (28th March 1970) his family requested his practitioner’s plate, medical instruments and some personal belongings be displayed in the Port Medical Office surgery at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, and be called the “W. R. Angus Collection”.

Significance

The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool. The collection of medical instruments and other equipment is culturally significant, being an historical example of medicine from late 19th to mid-20th century. Dr Angus assisted Dr Tom Ryan, a pioneer in the use of X-rays and in ocular surgery.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reel is imprinted “JUNIOR / CAPSTAN / 14 / MADE IN AUSTRALIA”.

002393 - Army Collars

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

These three men’s collars are made of cotton and are khaki in colour. They have three button holes on the straight neck edge, one at each end and one in the middle.

Historical information

These detachable collars are most likely Australian Army issue from the World War Two era (1939-1945). They are made to be used with a khaki shirt.

Significance

These collars have no known local provenance but are retained as examples of the detachable collars used by Australian Army personnel in the early to mid 20th century.

861 - John Benn - John Rees - Decauville Steam Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Decauville Steam Locomotive

Historical information

861 John Benn Locomotive - in active service - Emerald Station Built in 1886 by Société Anonyme Usines Métallurgiques du Hainaut - Locomotives Couillet for the West Melbourne site of the Metropolitan Gas Company, as a four-wheel tank locomotive similar to 986 and named “John Benn”. The West Melbourne gas works sourced its coal from Maitland, New South Wales, and the coal was brought by ship to a wharf adjacent to the West Melbourne gas plant. John Benn and Carbon were used to haul the coal over a 762 mm (2 ft 6 in) gauge railway from the wharf to the gasworks, a distance of about 450 metres (500 yards). It was withdrawn from service in the 1930s and stored until sold privately in 1962. It was rebuilt by its new owners in the style of an American locomotive of the 1880s and was used for some years at Walhalla. It currently has the name “J.C. Rees” and is used in active service for the 861 Footplate Experience. Wheels: 2-4-2ST Builder: Couillet Build Date: 1886 Construction No.: 861 Empty Weight: Unknown Weight on Drivers: Unknown Driver Diameter: Unknown Tractive Effort: Unknown Boiler Pressure: Unknown Cylinders: Unknown Fuel: Coal Gauge: 30 inches

Significance

Historic - Industrial railways - Metropolitan Gas Company Ltd, Melbourne Steam Locomotive

Inscriptions & Markings

861 John Rees

8A - Victorian Railways Na Class Steam Locomotive Number 8A

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive with wrought iron frame with cast iron cylinders

Historical information

8A Built in 1908 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook line. Over the years, it saw service on the Colac to Crowes and Moe to Walhalla lines, but it saw more service on the Gembrook line than any other. It was withdrawn from service in 1955 at Upper Fern Tree Gully and sold to the Beaumaris City Council where it remained on static display until 1970. After storage at Newport & Ballarat North Workshops, it was brought to Belgrave in 1976 for restoration. It was returned to service in 1982 after a complete rebuild in close to its late 1920s condition with its extended bunker & modified front end including the tapered “stovepipe” smokestack, steel cow-catcher and the all-over Black livery. Loco: 8A In service Monday, 2nd March 1908 Livery Canadian red & dark brown Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762mm / 2' 6" Status Preserved - Operational Service History : May 1908 - UFTG. - initial allocation of a new locomotive May 1908 - Mar 1910 UFTG. Apr 1910 - Mar 1915 Colac Jun 1915 -Sep 1926 UFTG. Jan 1927 - Jan 1930 Moe Mar 1930 - Oct 1936 UFTG. Nov 1936 - Dec 1936 Moe Jan 1937 - Oct 1954 UFTG. Dec 1954 - Workshops Jan 1955 - Jan 1968 Other Jul 1970 - Apr 1977 Workshops Jul 1982 - Belgrave - In active service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 8A Dates that 8A worked on the Gembrook Line Mar-1908 to Apr-1910 - initial allocation of a new locomotive Jun-1915 to Jan-1927 Mar-1930 to Nov-1936 Jan-1937 to Dec-1954 1970 - Puffing Billy Preservation Society ownership Jul-1982 - Returned to service PBR

Inscriptions & Markings

8A

14A - Victorian Railways Na class Steam Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive with wrought iron frame with cast iron cylinders - Converted to running on Light Oil in 2018

Historical information

14A Built in 1914 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Crowes line and saw service on all four lines, but mostly on the Colac to Crowes line. It was withdrawn from service in 1962 at Colac and sent to Newport Workshops for storage where it remained, except for a brief time at Bendigo North Work-shops in 1963. After overhaul, it was brought to Belgrave in 1965 where it has seen almost continuous service since. In 1978, it became the first of the preserved NA’s to trial a historic colour scheme for which the Canadian red & dark brown was chosen, but ended up mistakenly being painted a “London Tan” & dark brown. In 1996 it received a more correct Canadian red livery. This “temporary” trial livery has now given way to 14A’s designated livery of all-over black. Its physical configuration will match the late 1940s era with the extended bunker, guard irons, etc. Loco: 14A In service Thursday, 25th June 1914 Withdrawn April 1962 Livery Canadian red & dark brown Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762mm / 2' 6" Status Preserved - Operational - Converted to running on Light Oil in 2018 Service History: Jun 1914 - Colac - initial allocation of a new locomotive Jun 1914 - May 1921 Colac Aug 1921 - UFTG. Sep 1921 - Feb 1923 Moe May 1923 - Apr 1927 Colac Jul 1927 - Apr 1929 UFTG. Apr 1929 - May 1932 Other May 1932 - Nov 1934 Moe Dec 1934 - Jan 1940 Wangaratta Jun 1940 - Workshops Oct 1940 - Mar 1947 Colac May 1948 - Nov 1960 Colac - Stored Apr 1962 - Jul 1962 Workshops - Stored Dec 1965 - Belgrave - In active service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 14A Dates that 14A worked on the Gembrook Line Aug-1921 to Sep-1921 Jul-1927 to Apr-1929 Dec-1965 - Returned to service Oct-1977 - Transferred to ETRB ownership

Inscriptions & Markings

14A

7A - Victorian Railways Na class steam locomotive number 7A

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive with wrought iron frame with cast iron cylinders

Historical information

7A Built in 1905 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Wangaratta to Whitfield line and saw service on all four lines with most of its service on the Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook line. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it has seen almost continuous service since. 1979 saw the early two-tone green colour scheme applied to this loco as a trial even though it never historically carried it, but its physical configuration was not altered accordingly. It is now painted its original livery of Canadian red & dark brown and will eventually be returned, as far a possible, to its original condition with a low bunker, narrow ash-chute, etc. Loco: 7A In service Saturday, 6th May 1905 Livery Canadian red & dark brown Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 / 2' 6" Status Preserved - Operational Service History : May 1905 Wangaratta - initial allocation of a new locomotive May 1905 - Apr 1906 Wangaratta Jul 1906 - Nov 1910 Colac Feb 1911 - Jul 1912 Moe Sep 1912 - Dec 1917 Colac Mar 1918 - Sep 1921 UFTG. Nov 1921 - Sep 1923 Colac Dec 1923 - May 1925 UFTG. Jun 1925 - Aug 1925 Workshops Sep 1925 - Aug 1927 UFTG. Aug 1927 - Feb 1928 Workshops Mar 1928 - May 1928 UFTG. Jul 1928 - Moe Sep 1928 - Mar 1930 UFTG. Apr 1930 - Sep 1930 Workshops Oct 1930 - Oct 1936 UFTG. Nov 1936 - Moe Dec 1936 - Aug 1945 UFTG. Dec 1946 - May 1953 Colac Sep 1953 - Oct 1954 Moe Dec 1954 - Jun 1955 Workshops Nov 1955 - Dec 1957 UFTG. - Stored Feb 1958 - Apr 1962 Workshops May 1962 - Belgrave - In active service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 7A Dates that 7A worked on the Gembrook Line Mar-1918 to Nov-1921 Dec-1923 to Jun-1925 Sep-1925 to Aug-1927 May-1928 to Apr-1930 Oct-1930 to Nov-1936 Dec-1936 to Dec-1946 Nov-1955 to Feb-1958 May-1962 - Returned to Gembrook line Oct - 1977 - Transferred to ETRB ownership

Inscriptions & Markings

7A

6A - Victorian Railways Na class steam locomotive number 6A

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive - with wrought iron frame with cast iron cylinders

Historical information

6A Built in 1901 and painted two-tone green, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Beech Forest line and was used in that line’s construction. Over the years, it saw service on all four lines, but mostly on the Colac to Crowes and Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook lines. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it saw almost continuous service until being withdrawn in 1983. It has been restored, as far as possible, to its original condition with original design side tanks, low bunker, original size windows, etc., but a steel cow-catcher in place of the original style wooden one. It also has its original colour scheme of two-tone green with white lining. Loco: 6A In service Thursday, 18th July 1901 Livery two-tone green Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762mm / 2' 6' Status Preserved - Operational Service History : Jul 1901 Colac - initial allocation of a new locomotive Jul 1901 - Nov 1908 Colac Mar 1909 - May 1909 Wangaratta Jun 1909 - Other Oct 1909 - Oct 1910 UFTG. Nov 1910 - Feb 1912 Colac May 1912 - Jun 1912 Wangaratta Jul 1912 - Sep 1914 Moe Oct 1914 - Aug 1924 Colac May 1925 - Jul 1927 UFTG. Aug 1927 - Oct 1928 Moe Jan 1929 - Sep 1930 UFTG. Sep 1930 - Jun 1932 Moe Dec 1932 - Workshops May 1933 - Colac Sep 1933 - May 1936 Moe Jun 1936 - Oct 1936 Workshops Oct 1936 - May 1942 UFTG. Sep 1942 - Apr 1949 Colac May 1949 - Apr 1950 Workshops May 1950 - Dec 1957 UFTG. Feb 1958 - Apr 1962 Workshops May 1962 - Belgrave - In Active Service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 6A Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 Puffing Billy Locomotives and Rolling Stock Collection Dates that 6A worked on the Gembrook Line Nov-1909 to Nov-1910 May-1925 to Aug-1927 Jan-1929 to Sep-1930 Oct-1936 to Sep-1942 May-1950 to Feb-1958 May-1962 - Returned to Gembrook railway Oct-1977 - Transferred to PBR ownership

Inscriptions & Markings

6A

3A - Victorian Railways NA Class Steam Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive - wrought iron frame with cast iron cylinders

Historical information

3A Built in 1900. This is the second locomotive to be built at the Victorian Railways Newport Workshops. Painted in the then standard Victorian Railways two-tone green, this locomotive was issued to the Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook line and was used on the line’s construction. Over the years, it saw service on the Colac to Crowes and Moe to Walhalla lines, but it saw more service on the Gembrook line than any other. It was withdrawn from service in 1955 at Upper Fern Tree Gully and sold in 1960 to the Lord Mayor’s Camp at Portsea where it remained on static display until obtained by the Puffing Billy Presservation Society in 1977. Number 3A Entered service Monday, 4th June 1900 Livery two-tone green Gauge 762mm / 2' 6" Service History : Apr 1900 UFTG. - initial allocation Apr 1900 - Jul 1901 UFTG. Feb 1902 - Jan 1906 Colac Feb 1906 - Jul 1906 UFTG. Sep 1907 - Mar 1908 Colac Oct 1908 - Oct 1909 UFTG. Nov 1909 - Apr 1910 Other Oct 1910 - Nov 1911 UFTG. Feb 1912 - Oct 1914 Colac Dec 1914 - Oct 1917 Moe Dec 1917 - Jul 1920 Colac Sep 1920 - Jun 1922 Moe Jul 1922 - Jun 1925 UFTG. Aug 1925 - Mar 1928 Other May 1928 - Nov 1929 Moe Jan 1930 - Apr 1935 Wangaratta Jun 1935 - Sep 1936 Workshops Oct 1936 - May 1949 UFTG. Nov 1949 - Mar 1950 Workshops Apr 1950 - Jun 1955 UFTG. Nov 1955 - Mar 1959 Workshops Nov 1960 - Aug 1973 Lord Mayor’s Camp at Portsea Apr 1977 - Puffing Billy Preservation Society ownership

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 3A Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 Dates that 3A worked on the Gembrook Line Apr 1900 - initial allocation of a new locomotive Apr 1900 to Jul 1901 Feb 1906 to Jul 1906 Oct 1908 to Oct 1909 Oct 1910 to Nov 1911 Oct 1936 to May 1949 Apr 1950 to Jun 1955 Apr 1977 to Belgrave - Transferred to Puffing Billy Preservation Society ownership

Inscriptions & Markings

3A

AABC Badges

Geelong RSL Sub Branch, Belmont

Oblong timber framed Badges of the Australian Army Band Corps. One x Rising Sun Hat Badge One x AABC Hat Badge Two x AABC Collar Badges Two x AABC Epaulette Badges

Historical information

The Badges are those worn by the Australian Army Band Corps. The AABC was formed on 02 August 1968. AABC Musicians arfe also required to qualify in soldering skills eg - Admin, Drivers.

Significance

The badges are originals and have been framed in a wooden frame.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Abacus

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Wooden rectangular abacus with 13 rods. Each rod is divided by a wooden bar. On top part of the rod are 2 wooden discs, on the bottom part are 5 wooden discs. For operation details see Cat. no 87

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: “Betty Laby”

Abacus

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Abacus or counting frame-wood frame with plain wood beads

Abacus

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Wood & metal abacus with wooden base, sides & beads (100), & metal rails. Wood painted red & black.

Historical information

Camp 3 was one of the Tatura Group of civilian & prisoner of war internment camps during World War 2. Camp 3 was a civilian 'family' camp. The abacus was made by a German internee, for his son in the camp. It was made from scrap materials found in and around the camp & the beads & other wooden parts of the abacus were turned on a lathe also constructed by the internees.

Abacus Counting Frame

Donald History and Natural History Group operating the Donald Court House Museum, Donald

Rectangular wooden frame with 13 spindles, 2 rounded counting buttons on each spindle on the top section and 5 on each of the bottom section. Wooden frame slots into place with grooves cut out of the corners for joining together.

Abacus / Wicker Clothes Basket

Numurkah & District Historical Society, Numurkah

Abacus used by children 1900's ? Wicker Clothes basket 1900's /

12a Batt & Lyons Service Station

Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute (BMI Ballarat), Ballarat

Historical information

This photograph is from the Max Harris Collection held by the Ballaraat Mechanics' Institute. Please contact BMI for all print and usage inquiries.

Abdominal Surgical Sucker

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Used to suck fluid from abdomen. In sealed sterile bag - 2 metal instruments. 1. long thick nail with 9 little holes in 6 rows along the length. Other end is knob with lines embossed around it. 2. Long rod with cap on which the other side of is a bent rod with 3 'beads' at the end. This rod has a hole at the other end.

Historical information

This medical instrument was used in the Tawonga District General Hospital which was built in the 1950s specifically for the increase in population due to the Kiewa Hydro Scheme.

Significance

Historical: Shows the development of scientific hospital equipment. Provenance: Used in the Tawonga District General Hospital which was remote and therefore required good equipment.

A Beckett Family

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

4 documents which have references to the a’Beckett family., Photocopied extract from Burke’s Colonial Gentry Vol 1 1891 on the name a’Beckett, William Arthur Callander, Handwritten research on various a’Beckett family tree members taken from Burke’s Colonial Gentry etc, includes rate details of home in Alma Street, Leaflet on The Briars Mornington giving history on family and the Napoleonic collection of furniture, Photocopied article on a’Beckett name taken from ‘Sand, Swamp and Heath by Peter R Murray and John C Wells 1980. This paragraph gives the connection to Emma Minna a’Beckett who married Arthur Boyd. Boyd’s father owner Glenfern on the corner of Hotham and Inkerman Street. This is the beginning of the artistic Boyd family in Murrumbeena

a'Beckett Street, 11, East St Kilda

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

Print of a Google map of 11 a’Becket Street, East St Kilda downloaded & printed on November 26, 2010 by Sud Abbas (role unknown). Detail shows that the address is now a car park

a'Beckett Street, 11, East St Kilda

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

A hand drawn site and floor plan of a building subdivided into 3 flats at 11 a'Beckett Street, East St Kilda; undated but prior to November 2010 by person unknown

'A bit of a rebel' : the life and work of George Arnold Wood

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Paper; book. Front cover: orange background; black and white caricature of George Arnold Wood on the front; black text.

Historical information

George Arnold Wood (1865-1928) was an historian who founded the Australian Anti-War League in 1902 with W.A. Holman and others. He also co-founded the Teachers' Guild of NSW.

Significance

Biographical. Significant to the history of the Boer War, Teachers' Guild of NSW and Wood's research into Australian history.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: author's name and title.

A black and white copy of a photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A copy of a black and white photograph of Hugh Price and Captain George Makins in the wheelhouse of the P.S Marion.

Historical information

During the Second World War the P.S Marion operated as a passenger vehicle up and down the Murray River.

Significance

This is a photograph showing Hugh Price steering the P.S. Marion while the Captain looks on! This photograph is linked to P000067, P000065 as they are all part of the Hugh Price Family collection.

Inscriptions & Markings

In pencil, written on the back is Price / Oct 43 / Capt. Geo Makins, (in cap) & Hugh Price.

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the barge Ada, on a slipway (possibly Moama). A 4 knot marine sign is next to it.The barge is surrounded by trees.

Historical information

The barge Ada, was built in Echuca in 1899. It was 33 metres in length and 6.9 metres wide and was made from timber and iron. It's design was unique as it was half timber, and iron . It was iron above the water line to prevent the wool bales from getting wet. The Ada was used to carry wool from Sheep Stations on the Murray and Murrumbidgee Rivers down to Echuca Wharf for distribution around the world. The Permewan Wright, Murray Shipping Company owned the Ada. In the 1930's the Ada was sold to the Evans family who used it to transport timber to it's Echuca sawmill. It was purchased by the Port of Echuca in 1974. Here it's seen on the Moama slipway undergoing restoration for Port of Echuca Sept.1979-June 1980. It remains at the Moama Slipway.

Significance

The barge Ada is very significant due to the uniqueness of her design. The hull is timber, up to the water line, then iron from the water line up to protect the bales of wool inside, from water damage. The P.S Pevensey has the same design feature. The Ada has been on static display since 1974 at the Port of Echuca.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the back In blue pen:" Ada Barge"

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the barge Ada, moored to the riverbank. A gangplank runs from the barge to the shore. There are four men on the bow of the barge. The wheelhouse of a paddle boat can be seen behind 'Ada' (possibly P. S. Edwards)

Historical information

The barge Ada, was built in Echuca in 1899. It was 33 metres in length and 6.9 metres wide and was made from timber and iron. It's design was unique as it was half timber, and iron . It was iron above the water line to prevent the wool bales from getting wet. The Ada was used to carry wool from Sheep Stations on the Murray and Murrumbidgee Rivers down to Echuca Wharf for distribution around the world. The Permewan Wright, Murray Shipping Company owned the Ada. In the 1930's the Ada was sold to the Evans family who used it to transport timber to it's Echuca sawmill. It was purchased by the Port of Echuca in 1974.

Significance

The barge Ada is very significant due to the uniqueness of her design. The hull is timber, up to the water line, then iron from the water line up to protect the bales of wool inside, from water damage. The P.S Pevensey has the same design feature. The Ada has been on static display since 1974 at the Port of Echuca.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front on bow:Ada. On the back in pencil :Edward.

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white rectangular photograph of two boys standing on a suspension bridge over a small river and surrounded by trees.

Historical information

This photograph is significant as it shows young boys in the early 20th Century. It also shows the state of the Campaspe river as well as bridge construction in the early 20th Century. It is part of the Dowell Family Collection and it is thought to be taken by Grimwood.

Significance

This photograph shows bridge construction in the early 20th Century. It also shows the way young boys dressed in the beginning of the 20th Century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on the front of the photograph in white lettering are the words; " Suspension bridge Campaspe." Written on the back of the photograph in pencil are the words; "Grimwood photo. c.1910? Bridge over Campaspe, probably near Showgrounds."

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A copy of a black and white rectangular photograph of a lock being constructed . The river is in the foreground and in the background, cranes and rigs can be seen. A wooden wall dominates the centre of the photograph. Houses and buildings can be seen in the distance.

Historical information

This is a copy of a photograph from the Price Collection. The river and town are unknown. The photograph shows how locks were constructed using long vertical planks to form a wall. One of the cranes is floating on a pontoon.

Significance

This shows how the river was locked to develop the irrigation industry in the early 20th Century.

Inscriptions & Markings

In pencil on the back is written; 'Price / Lock construction? 'Jenkins Print Mildura.'

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the P.S Canberra, P.S Emmylou and the P.S Pride of the Murray travelling upstream with passengers, at Echuca.

Historical information

The Emmylou was newly built and in business carrying passengers. In 1984 the P.S Canberra and the P.S Pride of the Murray were all in business running paddle steamer cruises.

Significance

This photograph was taken in 1984, in the early days of Tourism in the Echuca Moama region. It also shows the newly constructed P.S Emmylou named after the U.S singer Emmylou Harris. It also shows two simple 'houseboats' tied to the far bank of the river. Also an early indication of the houseboat industry.

Inscriptions & Markings

The words, Pride of the Murray, Emmylou and Canberra can be seen written on the paddle steamers in the photograph.

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the barge Ada, with record load of wool on Murrumbidgee River. Possibly a copy of an early photo.

Historical information

The barge Ada, was built in Echuca in 1899. It was 33 metres in length and 6.9 metres wide and was made from timber and iron. It's design was unique as it was half timber, and iron . It was iron above the water line to prevent the wool bales from getting wet. The Ada was used to carry wool from Sheep Stations on the Murray and Murrumbidgee Rivers down to Echuca Wharf for distribution around the world. The Permewan Wright, Murray Shipping Company owned the Ada. In the 1930's the Ada was sold to the Evans family who used it to transport timber to it's Echuca sawmill. It was purchased by the Port of Echuca in 1974.

Significance

The barge Ada is very significant due to the uniqueness of her design. The hull is timber, up to the water line, then iron from the water line up to protect the bales of wool inside, from water damage. The P.S Pevensey has the same design feature. The Ada was generally towed by the Pevensey. Together they hold the record load of wool out of the Murrumbidgee.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the back In black pen:" Record load wool" In pencil: "Barge Ada" In blue pen:" Murrumbidgee" In black Texta a circled "8"

A black and white photograph. - The Bridge Hotel, in 1896, showing Silky Oak trees.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the Bridge Hotel taken from the Hopwood Gardens. The photograph shows four silky oak trees growing along the front of the building. There is an empty flag pole outside the front of the building. The right wing advertises billiards, whilst the left wing apparently was a bar.

Historical information

The Bridge Hotel was built by Henry Hopwood to house visitors to the town crossing the Murray River on his punt crossing, which was situated just below the Bridge Hotel on the Murray River. The accommodation was spacious and grand! In the right back corner of the photograph, the 'lantern' roof of the St Georges Hall can be seen. The street is level with the front entrance to the Hotel, which is very different to what it is today.

Significance

The photograph shows hotel activities and accommodation in the late 19th Century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on the building can be seen the words; HOTEL and BILLIARDS. Written in pen on the back of the photograph are the words "Bridge Hotel. Probably 1896, showing Silky Oak trees.

A black and white photographic postcard

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photographic postcard of a woman dressed in a vibrant floral dress with string of pearls and another longer necklace. She has a brooch attached to her blouse. She has cropped straight hair and is wearing circular metal framed spectacles.

Historical information

John Trestrail Freeman was an engineer who in 1889, with a partner named Olsen, established Freeman's Border Foundry in Murray Esplanade, Echuca. The Foundry later became known as Freeman Brothers when sons Harry and Tres took over the business. This business played an important part in shipbuilding in Echuca, fitting engines, building paddlewheels and carrying out repairs. It is thought this photograph is of Tres' mother or it could be his wife (Dolly Dean).

Significance

The Freeman family is an important family in the history of Echuca boat building and engineering in the early 20th century. The business produced paddlewheels, fitted engines and conducted repairs on riverboats in the area. After the riverboats ceased the foundry went into engineering works producing agricultural implements and other general foundry works. It is thought that this photograph is of Tres junior's mother but the dates of the photograph would indicate it is more likely to be his wife, Dolly.

Inscriptions & Markings

On reverse: Printed "Post card/ Correspondence/ address only/Kodak Austral". Handwritten in pencil:" Member of Freeman family. Tres' mother?