Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Making and Using Transport on the Goldfields

28 Mar 2018

Ballarat’s coachbuilding industry and horse-drawn transport, as depicted in Victorian cultural collections.

Curated By

Carissa Goudey, Historian, Sovereign Hills Museums Association

121448 items

close

121448 items

Book - Candida

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Candida A Mystery by Bernard Shaw Author: Bernard Shaw Publisher: Constable & Co Ltd Date: 1939

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969. Warrnambool Public Library The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) was formed by a voluntary community group in 1863, within six years of Warrnambool’s beginnings, and its Reading Room opened in 1854. The WMI operated until 1963, at which time it was one of the oldest Mechanics’ Institutes in Victoria. Mechanics’ Institutes offered important services to the public including libraries, reading rooms and places to display and store collections of all sorts such as curiosities and local historical relics. In 1886 a Museum and Fine Arts Gallery were added to the WMI and by the beginning of the 20th century there was also a billiards room and a School of Art. By this time all Mechanics’ Institutes in country Victoria had museums attached. Over the years the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Library was also known as the Warrnambool Public Library the Warrnambool Library and the Free Library. Early funding from the government was for the “Free Library”. The inscription in a book “Science of Man” was for the “Warrnambool Public Library”, donated by Joseph Archibald in 1899. Another inscription in the book “Catalogue of Plants Under Cultivation in the Melbourne Botanic Gardens 1 & 2, 1883” was presented to the “Warrnambool Library” and signed by the author W.R. Guilfoyle. In 1903 the Warrnambool Public Library decided to add a Juvenile Department to library and stock it with hundreds of books suitable for youth. In 1905 the Public Library committee decided to update the collection of books and added 100 new novels plus arrangements for the latest novels to be included as soon as they were available in Victoria. In July 1911 the Warrnambool Council took over the management of the Public Library, Art Gallery, Museum and Mechanics’ Institute and planned to double the size of the then-current building. In 1953, when Mr. R. Pattison was Public Librarian, the Warrnambool Public Library’s senior section 10,000 of the 13,000 books were fiction. The children’s section offered an additional 3,400 books. The library had the equivalent of one book per head of population and served around 33 percent of the reading population. The collection of books was made up of around 60 percent reference and 40 percent fiction. The library was lending 400 books per day. In 1963 the Warrnambool City Council allocated the site of the Mechanics’ Institute building, which included the Public Library, Museum and Art Gallery, for the new Municipal Offices and the Collections were dispersed until 1971. The Warrnambool Library took over the Mechanics’ Institute Library’s holdings on behalf of the Warrnambool City Council. Since the closure of the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute the exact location and composition of the original WMI books and items has become unclear. Other materials have been added to the collection, including items from Terang MI, Warrnambool Court House and Customs House. Many of the books have been identified as the Pattison Collection, named after the Librarian who catalogued and numbered the books during his time as Warrnambool Public Librarian in the time before the Mechanics’ Institute closed. It seems that when Warrnambool became part of the Corangamite Regional Library some of the books and materials went to its head office in Colac and then back to Warrnambool where they were stored at the Art Gallery for quite some time. Some then went to the Warrnambool Historical Society, some stayed at the Art Gallery and some were moved to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village. The various stamps and labels on the books held at Flagstaff Hill show the variety of the collection’s distribution and origin. The books in the collection at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village date from the 1850’s to the late 1950’s and include rare and valuable volumes. Many of the books are part of the “Pattison Collection” after the Warrnambool’s Public Librarian, Mr. R. Pattison.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, and to reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. As with many Mechanics' Institutes in Australia, the one which operated in Warrnambool was established and overseen for many years by key individuals associated with the development of the city itself. The WMI publication collection is historically significant because of its association with local people, places and the key historical themes in the development of Warrnambool of rural development, industry, farming, education, and community. The collection documents and illustrates the changing interests, focus and tastes of Victorians, especially those in regional cities. Generally the individual items in the collection are not particularly rare, as examples of all probably exist in other public collections in Victoria. It is primarily because there are so very few surviving Mechanics' Institute collections in Victoria, which lends this overall collection its significance. Many items in the WMI Collection have the potential to support further research, both as individual objects and through the collection in its entirety. This material is significant for its ability to assist in the interpretation of the history of the area and adds to the general understanding of the development of the township. Many components of the WMI publication collection complement and reinforce the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum Collection, the Warrnambool Art Gallery Collection, and that in the Warrnambool Historical Society, and also contribute to a clearer understanding of the original Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute collections. This will greatly enhance the appreciation of the few surviving Mechanics' Institute collections across Victoria, and also in New South Wales. The similarities and differences between the small number of collections that have survived can provide further insights into how the people of Victoria in general, and Warrnambool in particular, constructed a civic culture of adult learning to foster an informed citizenry. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 822 SHA Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Book - Ballarat School of Mines Students' Magazine, 1938-1944

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Red hard covered book holding seven volumes of the Ballarat School of Mines Students' Magazine.

Photograph

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Document - Federation University Science Museum Listing

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Listing of specimens held in the Federation University Science Museum. Also a listing of storage locations of the Scott Egg Collection, Key to Arachnids, Key to Myriapods, Nanya Reptile Collection

Document - Cliff Beauglehole Plant Collection

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Listing of specimens held in the Federation University Cliff Beauglehole Collection, and interpretation poster.

Historical information

The Beauglehole Collection is held in the FedUni Science Herbarium (Mt Helen Y Building). Cliff Beauglehole (1920-2002) was an orchadist at Portland, Victoria. Over his lifetime he collected over 90,000 plant specimens as part of a comprehensice study of Victoria's plans, and wrote thirteen books under the title "The Distribution and Conservation of Vascular Plants in Victoria. Originally held by the Ballarat Field Naturalists Club, this set of herbarium specimens are from Cliff Beauglehole's collections in the Ballarat area. The club decided to hand over the plant collection to the University of Ballarat (now Federation University). They were freeze-dried to kill unwanted insects and are now house in a climate conrolled room, and available to students, staff and others for scientific study.

The seven queens of England (Don Woodward Collection)

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Book; 184 pages. Front cover: red background; white lettering; title and author's name; two-tone photograph of the seven queens.

Historical information

Historical account of England during the time of the last seven queens who ruled by birthright.

Significance

Historical & biographical - monarchy and England.

Document - Federation University Herbarium Pressed Specimens Listing

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Listing of specimens held in the Federation University Science Herbarium.

Historical information

The Collection is held in the FedUni Science Herbarium (Mt Helen Y Building)

Don't you worry about that! The Joh Bjelke-Petersen Memoirs (Don Woodward Collection)

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Book; 259 pages. Front cover: white text; author's name and title; colour photograph of Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen.

Historical information

Autobiography - Joh Bjelke-Petersen. Petersen was the longest serving Premier of Queensland from 1968-1987, representing the National Party. His wife, Flo Bjelke-Petersen, served in the federal senate.

Significance

Political autobiography - Queensland - National Party.

Photo - Gough Whitlam visit to Trades Hall

Bendigo Trades Hall Council & Literary Institute Inc., BENDIGO

Large Framed photo of Gough Whitlam visiting Bendigo with Left to Right Les Shilton, Gough Whitlam, Stewart Anderson and Dave Boyle

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of soldier holding towel and standing beside White Scout Car, Beret is tucked under epaulet of shirt. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Tpr. V. Martin"

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of seven soldiers, one leaning from window, others standing and crouching in front of building.- wearing a variety of uniforms. All are wearing berets. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Images - Charles A. Scott Egg Collection

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Low resolution photographs of the historic Scott Egg Collection held by the Federation University Science Museum, along with a spreadsheet of holdings. Australia's native birds are protected. It is illegal to collect eggs or to interfere with birds' nests without a permit.

Historical information

The Collection is held in the FedUni Science Museum (Mt Helen Y Building)

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of four soldiers standing in front of tent. All are wearing khaki drill shirts and trousers, boots, web anklets, belts and berets.One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Tprs--- Martin, Leischke, Singe.

The Gorton experiment (Don Woodward Collection)

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Book; 455 pages. Front cover: green background; author's name and title in white lettering; two-tone picture of John Gorton.

Historical information

John Gorton became Australian Prime Minister (1968-1971) after the disappearance of Harold Holt (with McEwan being the interim Prime Minister). Holt and Gorton were both from the Liberal Party Australia. Gorton has been described as a larrikan and an eccentric in his time as prime minister. The book is described as a disparaging account.

Significance

Australian politics. Biographical.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of a soldier with rifle. Wearing khaki drill shirt and trousers, boots, web ankllets, belt and shoulder straps and beret. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Norm Leischke ( Later Lt. )

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of three soldiers, two dressed in khaki drill shirt and trousers, boots, web anklets and belts. One dressed in winter battledress, boots, web anklets, and belt. All are wearing berets with silver Rising Sun hat badges. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951

Historical information

he 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Cpl. Leischke, Major Hoskin 'OC" HQ Squadron, Sgt. ( Unnamed )"

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of four soldiers in variety of uniforms standing beside civilian utility vehicle. One is wearing winter service dress, one in khaki drill uniform, two are wearing V neck Army jumpers. One is wearing headphones, one haslength of radio aerial. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Cunningham Alternative Command Vehicle. No. 1 Set Training. John Neale, George Atkinson, Bill Purcell, Ron Braddy. "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of two soldiers on General Grant tank, one sitting in cupola, one standing on mudguard, wearing khaki drill uniforms and berets One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951..

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Alan Cunningham, Ernie Grant. "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black anf white photograph of soldier sitting on a General Grant tank, wearing khaki drill uniform, boots, web anklets and beret.One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Alan Cunningham. "

Photograph - Mr David Conolly and Ms Marjorie Stafford Debutante Ball at St Kilda Town Hall

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Black and White Gloss print photograph of a couple in evening dress, both are standing.

Historical information

Taken at a Debutante Ball 1957 St Kilda Town Hall

Significance

Subjects LHLG member MS and Lay Reader DC had a long standing connection with the Mission

Inscriptions & Markings

Hand written in black texta; l Circa 1957 Marjorie Stafford daughter of George Stafford, & D C at Debutante Ball for Robert Burns Lodge at Stkilda TRown Hall

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of a group of men, women and children at Buna Barracks, Albury. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Sgt's Mess Xmas Party 1. WO11 Ernie Grant, 2. Sgt. Bill Purcell. 3. Sgt. Davies "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of three soldiers standing in front of Doodlebug Scout Car, dressed in " tank" overalls and berets. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" George Atkinson, Regt./Cadet, John Bullock.

0004370 Photograph - 18 June 2014 - Eagles Nest, Inverloch - from Graham Paterson

Inverloch Historical Society, Inverloch

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of three soldiers wearing uniform boots and belts. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Sgts. Ken Kothoff, Alan Cunningham, WO11 Frnie grant. "

Framed newspaper article.

Dandenong/Cranbourne RSL Sub Branch, Dandenong

Brass framed newspaper article of Michael Nix Service No; vx1405. Article from Dandenong Journal 11th November 1996.

Photo - Tomahawk Squadron in the Western Desert, Libya, scrambling to an alert 1942

Camberwell RSL Sub-Branch, Camberwell

Photo in Wooden frame

Significance

Unique Photo

Inscriptions & Markings

Tomahawk squadron scrambling to an alert in Western Dessert Libya 1942

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of three soldiers sitting on a General Grant tank. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Sgts. Ken Kothoff, Alan Cunningham and George Atkinson ."

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of Father Christmas arriving at a children's party in a Doodlebug Scout Car. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Sgt's Mess Xmas Party "

Framed photo

Dandenong/Cranbourne RSL Sub Branch, Dandenong

Black and white framed photo of 408537 Sgt R.R.E. Swords 23 Sep 1912 - 21 Jan 1943. This photograph is a tribute to the late Robert Richard Falkiner Swords. 'Bob' as he was known to his friends and most townsfolk of Dandenong and it's people. His older brother James, served in the First World War and later was a founding member of the Dandenong RSL Sub-Branch, formed in 1919, was its second President and also served a term as Honorary Secretary and Treasurer. James was the Editor of Dandenong's first newspaper, the Dandenong Advertiser. 'Bob' Swords was also a member of the Dandenong Advertiser newspaper and was a driving force in Dandenong getting it's own Hospital. For many years his photo hung over the entrance to the old building, which was demolished some years back. Regrettably this photo was lost. Bob enlisted into the Royal Australian Air Force to train as a pilot on 26 April 1941 and after initial training embarked to Southern Rhodesia. After completion of initial flight training he then moved to England for advanced training, prior to postings onto an OTU. He was tragically killed during this phase of training on 21 January 1943. The gentleman with in this photo is believed to be his South African Flying Instructor 'Panda' Watkins. His grave in England has a lovely headstone and the inscription: 'Service Above Self'. (As advised by Robert Richard Kudyba OAM).

Historical information

WWII Historical significance with some information of the Dandenong area.

Inscriptions & Markings

Brass plaque stating 4085537 Sgt R.R.F. Swords 23 Sept 1912 - 21 Jan 1943.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of men, women and children at Buna Barracks, Albury. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Sgtt's Mess Xmas Party. 1. Bill Purcell. 2. Ken Kothoff "

Phptograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of two Doodlebug Scout Cars behind gravel heaps. Group of soldiers standing to rlght of photograph.One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

A Squadron nattering at ?

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of two soldiers standing beside Staghound Armoured Car. Both are wearing uniform boots and web anklets and berets. One is wearing web belt, and the other a Sam Browne belt.One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Major Bert Shannon, 8 Squadron, Major Ben McGeogh "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of two soldiers wearing drill uniforms and berets. One is wearing goggles. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Alan Cunningham , Ken Kothoff "

Plaque - Bronze Plaque, thanking the Ladies of the Camberwell RSL Sub Branch for all their efforts looking after veterens from WW2. 1950

Camberwell RSL Sub-Branch, Camberwell

Bronze Plaque

Inscriptions & Markings

See photo for complete text.

Beret

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black felt beret with silver Rising Sun hat badge as worn by 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles 1950 - 1952.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Representative of headdress worn by Citizen Military Forces soldiers in nearly 1950s.

Book - Time and Tide

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Time and Tide by Weare and Tyne. Twenty - Five Letters to a working man of Sunderland on The Laws of Work Author: John Ruskin Publisher: George Allen Date: 1891

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969. WARRNAMBOOL'S MECHANICS' INSTITUTE Warrnambool's Mechanics' Institute (or Institution as it was sometimes called) was one of the earliest in Victoria. On 17th October 1853 a meeting was held where it was resolved to request the Lieutenant Governor of the Colony to grant land for the erection of a Mechanics' Institutes building. A committee was formed at the meeting and Richard Osburne chaired the first meeting of this committee. The land on the North West corner of Banyan and Merri Streets was granted but there were no funds to erect the building. The Formal Rights of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute's encompassed its aims and these were officially adopted in1859; "This Institution has for its object the diffusion of literary, scientific, and other useful knowledge amongst its members, excluding all controversial subjects, religious or political. These objects are sought to be obtained by means of a circulating library, a reading room, the establishment of classes, debates, and the occasional delivery of lectures on natural and experimental philosophy, mechanics, astronomy, chemistry, natural history, literature, and the useful and ornamental arts, particularly those which have a more immediate reference to the colony." The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute opened its first reading room in November1884 in the National School building at the corner of Banyan and Timor Streets. The Institute was funded by member subscription, payable on a quarterly, half yearly or yearly basis. Samuel Hannaford, the Manager of the Warrnambool Bank of Australasia, was the first Honorary Secretary of the Mechanics' Institutes, and an early President and Vice-President. He also gave several of the early lectures in the Reading Room. Another early Secretary, Librarian and lecturer was Marmaduke Fisher, the teacher at the National School. Lecture topics included The Poets and Poetry of Ireland', 'The Birth and Development of the Earth', 'The Vertebrae - with Remarks on the pleasures resulting from the study of Natural History' and 'Architecture'. In 1856 the Reading Room was moved to James Hider's shop in Timor Street, and by 1864 it was located in the bookshop of Davies and Read. In the 1860's the Mechanics' Institute struggled as membership waned but in 1866, after a series of fund raising efforts, the committee was able to purchase land in Liebig Street, on a site then called Market Square, between the weighbridge and the fire station. A Mechanics' Institute building was opened at this site in August 1871. The following year four more rooms were added to the main Reading Room and in 1873 the Artisan School of Design was incorporated into the Institute. The same year Joseph Archibald established a Museum; however it deteriorated when he was transferred to Bendigo in 1877. In 1880, with Archibald's return to Warrnambool, the Museum was re-established, and in 1885 a new building was built at the back of the Institute to accommodate the re-created School of Design, the Art Gallery and the Museum. In 1887 the Museum section was moved to the former court house in Timor Street (for some time the walls of the building formed part of the TAFE cafeteria but all is now demolished)). In 1911 the Museum was transferred back to the original building and the management of the Mechanics' Institute was handed over to the Warrnambool City Council. The Museum and Art Gallery became one and housed many fine works of art, and the Library continued to grow. The building was well patronised, with records showing that at the beginning of the 20th century there were between 500 and 800 visitors. During World War One the monthly figures were in the thousands, with 3,400 people visiting in January 1915. The Museum was a much loved Institution in Warrnambool until the contents of the Museum and Art Gallery were removed to make room for the Warrnambool City Council Engineers' Department. The contents were stored but many of the items were scattered or lost. When the original building was demolished the site became occupied by the Civic Centre, which included the new City Library. (The library was temporarily located in the old Palais building in Koroit Street.) In the process of reorganisation the Collection was distributed amongst the community groups: -The new City Library took some of the historic books and some important documents, historic photographs and newspapers. -The Art Gallery kept the 19th Century art collection and some of the artefacts from the museum. -The Historic Society has some items -The State Museum has some items -Some items were destroyed -Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village has old newspapers, Government Gazettes, most of the Mechanics' Institute Library, ledgers and documents connected to the Mechanics' Institute Library, some framed and unframed art works and some photographs. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute Library book collection is deemed to be of great importance because it is one of the few collections in an almost intact state, and many of the books are now very rare and of great value.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 824 RUS Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Book - Bethel Merriday

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Bethel Merriday Author: Sinclair Lewis Publisher: Jonathan Cape Date: 1940

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969. Warrnambool Public Library The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) was formed by a voluntary community group in 1863, within six years of Warrnambool’s beginnings, and its Reading Room opened in 1854. The WMI operated until 1963, at which time it was one of the oldest Mechanics’ Institutes in Victoria. Mechanics’ Institutes offered important services to the public including libraries, reading rooms and places to display and store collections of all sorts such as curiosities and local historical relics. In 1886 a Museum and Fine Arts Gallery were added to the WMI and by the beginning of the 20th century there was also a billiards room and a School of Art. By this time all Mechanics’ Institutes in country Victoria had museums attached. Over the years the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Library was also known as the Warrnambool Public Library the Warrnambool Library and the Free Library. Early funding from the government was for the “Free Library”. The inscription in a book “Science of Man” was for the “Warrnambool Public Library”, donated by Joseph Archibald in 1899. Another inscription in the book “Catalogue of Plants Under Cultivation in the Melbourne Botanic Gardens 1 & 2, 1883” was presented to the “Warrnambool Library” and signed by the author W.R. Guilfoyle. In 1903 the Warrnambool Public Library decided to add a Juvenile Department to library and stock it with hundreds of books suitable for youth. In 1905 the Public Library committee decided to update the collection of books and added 100 new novels plus arrangements for the latest novels to be included as soon as they were available in Victoria. In July 1911 the Warrnambool Council took over the management of the Public Library, Art Gallery, Museum and Mechanics’ Institute and planned to double the size of the then-current building. In 1953, when Mr. R. Pattison was Public Librarian, the Warrnambool Public Library’s senior section 10,000 of the 13,000 books were fiction. The children’s section offered an additional 3,400 books. The library had the equivalent of one book per head of population and served around 33 percent of the reading population. The collection of books was made up of around 60 percent reference and 40 percent fiction. The library was lending 400 books per day. In 1963 the Warrnambool City Council allocated the site of the Mechanics’ Institute building, which included the Public Library, Museum and Art Gallery, for the new Municipal Offices and the Collections were dispersed until 1971. The Warrnambool Library took over the Mechanics’ Institute Library’s holdings on behalf of the Warrnambool City Council. Since the closure of the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute the exact location and composition of the original WMI books and items has become unclear. Other materials have been added to the collection, including items from Terang MI, Warrnambool Court House and Customs House. Many of the books have been identified as the Pattison Collection, named after the Librarian who catalogued and numbered the books during his time as Warrnambool Public Librarian in the time before the Mechanics’ Institute closed. It seems that when Warrnambool became part of the Corangamite Regional Library some of the books and materials went to its head office in Colac and then back to Warrnambool where they were stored at the Art Gallery for quite some time. Some then went to the Warrnambool Historical Society, some stayed at the Art Gallery and some were moved to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village. The various stamps and labels on the books held at Flagstaff Hill show the variety of the collection’s distribution and origin. The books in the collection at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village date from the 1850’s to the late 1950’s and include rare and valuable volumes. Many of the books are part of the “Pattison Collection” after the Warrnambool’s Public Librarian, Mr. R. Pattison.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance. SIGNIFICANCE The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, and to reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. As with many Mechanics' Institutes in Australia, the one which operated in Warrnambool was established and overseen for many years by key individuals associated with the development of the city itself. The WMI publication collection is historically significant because of its association with local people, places and the key historical themes in the development of Warrnambool of rural development, industry, farming, education, and community. The collection documents and illustrates the changing interests, focus and tastes of Victorians, especially those in regional cities. Generally the individual items in the collection are not particularly rare, as examples of all probably exist in other public collections in Victoria. It is primarily because there are so very few surviving Mechanics' Institute collections in Victoria, which lends this overall collection its significance. Many items in the WMI Collection have the potential to support further research, both as individual objects and through the collection in its entirety. This material is significant for its ability to assist in the interpretation of the history of the area and adds to the general understanding of the development of the township. Many components of the WMI publication collection complement and reinforce the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum Collection, the Warrnambool Art Gallery Collection, and that in the Warrnambool Historical Society, and also contribute to a clearer understanding of the original Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute collections. This will greatly enhance the appreciation of the few surviving Mechanics' Institute collections across Victoria, and also in New South Wales. The similarities and differences between the small number of collections that have survived can provide further insights into how the people of Victoria in general, and Warrnambool in particular, constructed a civic culture of adult learning to foster an informed citizenry. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT FIC LEW Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Kippah

Jewish Museum of Australia, St Kilda

This crochet kippah was made in Melbourne, Australia. This kippah is made of cotton. It is navy blue and decorated with decorative bands, mauve rose buds, blue leaves and yellow flowers.

Historical information

A kippah, also called a yarmulke or skull cap, is a head cover worn by religious Jewish men for many reasons, one being that it is a sign of one's respect for God.

Book - Water In Victoria

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Blue, white and grey paper magazine type journal White and black printing. Photo of spray irrigation. Pages 42

Historical information

Irrigation and Farming in Victoria

Card - Christmas card

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Folio - Eildon Dam

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Folio - Brief history of the construction of Eildon Dam with accompanying photos

Historical information

Eildon Dam documentary story and photgraphy compiled into folio for Tatura Museum by Frank Burns, BCE, and presented to the Museum Irrigation Room collection by him March 1995

Document, letter

Melbourne Legacy, Melbourne

Typed letter on letterhead, black and white, signed in blue ink.

Historical information

A letter written by Legatee J.G. Gillespie and dated 16 April 1956 sent to W.W. Cooper inviting him to attend the first meeting off the committee being formed to publish a biography of Sir Stanley Savige. See also 00636.

Significance

One of the individual letters sent out to prospective committee members. The telephone number in the letterhead (MU 6635) is interesting as an example of the phone numbers of the 1950s.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Apologised 1/5/56" in pencil

Photograph - Ship Moreton Bay

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - Ship Samsylvan

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - Ship Raranga

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - Ship Mahana

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - Ship Mahia

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - SS Athenic

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Score - The 'M.N.' Ships Get Through

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Score - On the road to Mandalay

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands