Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Summon the Living

24 Jul 2018

Bells from Victorian community collections.

Curated By

Kitty Owens, Manager, Exhibition Services, Museums Australia (Victoria)

125594 items

close

125594 items

Shell Dressing

Key words

equipment
ww1
army

Canvas Covered

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Photograph - Digital image - Briar Hill Timber Hardware Interior

Key words

briar hill timber and hardware

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

Briar Hill Timber and Hardware was situated in Sherbourne Road Briar Hill. These photographs were taken by Frank Solomon shortly before the business closed and depict a small hardware business.

Significance

This business and its predecessor Briar Hill Timber was a landmark in the area.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Miniature Polish doll

Key words

polish community
mrs zofia pamula

Soft plastic miniature doll in traditional dress. Blue floral dress, white apron, green/red bodice, red check shawl, white scarf, red string necklace. Doll is fixed to and standing on a wooden disc. Manufacturing label underneath. Has black nylon hair. Encased in a plastic tube, no lid.

Inscriptions & Markings

Polish writing: Baba Krakowska, Lalki Regionalne. Handmade

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

Photograph - Committee member Tony Brocksopp enjoying a light moment with the Hon. Vicki Ward, M.P. for Eltham

Key words

50th anniversary
eltham district historical society
st margarets anglican church

Born Digital

Historical information

Eltham District Historical Society's 50th Anniversary dinner held at St Margaret's Hall, Pitt Street, Eltham, 27 October, 2017

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph - Moretons and Clarkes of Lake Bolac

Historical information

Mr WH Clarke & Mrs Clarke, Mrs Moreton & Mr JK Moreton of Boswell Park, Lake Bolac.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Photograph - Diamond Creek flooding over the Main Road footbridge, Eltham, c.August 1996

Key words

diamond creek
footbridge
main road
floods

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 5 of 6 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 100-5

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Coloured Photograph - Coloured square photograph.

Key words

p.s. adelaide
grassie, j.g
port of echuca
linklater, george
poon boon station
blair, david
murray river
darling river
logging industry
officer brothers.
barmah forest
fulton & shaw
hutchinson, kevin
blackwood, adelaide
murray downs station

This is a coloured square photograph of an orange front end loader clearing a track from Hopwood Gardens down to the river. The front end loader is moving a soil encrusted gum tree root. A tractor is obscured in the background. The track was being cleared to enable the P.S Adelaide to be returned to the Murray River.

Historical information

The P.S Adelaide was launched on 21st July 1866. It was owned by J.G.Grassie from Poon Boon Station and the Officer Family of Murray Downs Station, Swan Hill. The Adelaide was named after the niece of the Officer Bros, Adelaide Blackwood. The shipwright who built her was George Linklater. The Adelaide brought wool and passengers from the wool stations on the Murray and Darling Rivers down to the Echuca Wharf. In 1872 she was sold to David Blair & Sons. She was used to bring timber from the Barmah Forest to the Echuca Wharf. She did this work for the next 80 years. In 1953 she was tied up near the Mill and left. In 1958 she went to Paringa South Australia to work in the sawmill industry again. In 1960 the Echuca Apex Club and The Echuca Historical Society raised enough funds to buy the P.S. Adelaide and return her to Echuca. In November 1963 she was lifted out of the water and placed in Hopwood Gardens as this was thought to be a way of preserving her. In 1984 it was decided to return her to the water to resume work as a passenger vessel. In that time the Port of Echuca and the Echuca Wharf had been restored as a Tourist Precinct. This photograph shows the beginning of the task to return her to the river. It took several weeks in March and April in 1984.

Significance

The P.S Adelaide is extremely significant as it it the oldest known wooden hulled paddle steamer in the world. She was built in Echuca in 1866 and still operates on the Murray River today. She has worked in the Wool Industry, the Timber Industry and now the Tourism Industry.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Program Photos Newsletter Poster - The Judas Kiss by David Hare by special arrangement with dominie Pty. Ltd. directed by Bruce Akers

Key words

2010
378

Heidelberg Theatre Company Inc.., Rosanna

Nag's Head Hotel, E Jones, Chemist, etc.

Key words

ballarat

Ink & pencil sketch of the Nag's Head Hotel - Wm. Grey. Other buildings: E. Jones, Chemist, G. Heath, Bookseller, H.M. Bly, Boots, W. Walker, Barber, ? ? Caption: "1865, Nags Head Hotel, S. Side Main Road near Eureka St".

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

no image

Pennant

Key words

melbourne
victoria

Inscriptions & Markings

MELBOURNE VIC. THE SHRINE PRINCE'S BRIDGE MYER MUSIC BOWL MELBOURNE Victoria

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Folder - 'Batman' Apple Tree

Key words

batman apple tree
greensborough
martin batey
frederick flintoff
johannes bosch

20-page plastic binder, spiral bound, clear cover. Contains documents relating to the 'Batman' Apple Tree in Greensborough

Historical information

A collection of documents relating to the Batman apple tree and those men associated with it: Martin Batey, Frederick N. Flintoff and Johannes Adam Bosch.

Significance

Documents relating to possibly the oldest apple tree in Victoria. The tree was allegedly transplanted from John Batman's orchard in Melbourne to the banks of the Plenty River in Greensborough circa 1841, by Mr Flintoff.

Inscriptions & Markings

Collected by Greensborough Historical Society. Folder commenced 2012.

Greensborough Historical Society,

no image

Booklet - Manual of Land Warfare Part 2 Engineer Training Vol 3 Pam 4 Demolitions RAE Assault Pioneers

Key words

military engineering
demolitions

A soft covered booklet providing RAE and Assault Pioneers with guidance in military demolitions.

Inscriptions & Markings

7610-66-106-0085

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Photograph - Thomas Moore statue, and Town Hall, Sturt St, Ballarat

Key words

moore, thomas
begonia festival

Historical information

An image from the Herbert Richmond collection, gifted in 1982 to the Ballarat Library. The collection contains approximately 200 photographs of Ballarat and district in the 1940s, 50s and 60s, as well as photo albums, glass negatives and other memorabilia. Herb Richmond was a keen photographer, a foundation member and a life member of the Ballarat Camera Club, and a photographer with the Ballarat Courier during the 1940s. The Ballarat Camera Club named an annual award after him. Mr Richmond died in 1981 aged 79. These images were digitally re-photographed by members of the Ballarat Camera Club in September 2006. Thomas Moore was an Irish poet, the inspiration for this statue coming from the Irish people of Ballarat, soon after the Robert Burns statue was erected by the Scots. Sculpted by George Grant in 1889

City of Ballarat Libraries, Ballarat

Image - Wed at Corowa

Key words

wedding photographs
ian quihampton
valerie black
valerie quihampton
corowa

Newspaper clipping of wedding announcement with photo of the wedding couple.

Historical information

Part of a collection relating to the Parkin family. Announcement of the wedding of Ian Quihampton and Valerie Black at St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Corowa. Probably from the Corowa Free Press. Exact date unknown.

Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen

Poster - Poster produced by Granada TV advertising four plays featuring real stories from WW1. cica 1948

Poster detailing four plays commissioned by Granada TV about real events in WW1. Very interesting photos relating to WW1 and the reproduction of the famous General Kitchener poster calling for volunteers to 'Kitchener's Army'

Historical information

reproduction photos of conditions in London during WW1

Inscriptions & Markings

See photo, very interesting comments relating to WW1

Camberwell RSL Sub-Branch., Camberwell

no image

Book - Shearing in the Riverina 1865

Key words

shearing

Historical information

"Shearing in the Riverina 1865" - Rolf Boldrewood. This volume is a modern reprint of an article which first appeared in the Cornhill Magazine of London in 1865 by Rolf Boldrewood, the author of "Robbery Under Arms".

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Photographs

Key words

j b murray vx142238

Four small black and white unframed photographs 1. Male standing with white towel around waist in front of row of tents 2. Group of soldiers with hill in background 3&4 Identical photographs - three white grave crosses with soldiers behind. Grave sites of T. Hope M. Fisher and T.M.Brown

Historical information

Photographs located in personal items belonging to John Brian MURRAY VX142238

Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch, Wangaratta

Typewriter

8709.1 - This Remington typewriter is panted black and has a couple stickers on it with company details.

Inscriptions & Markings

8709.1 - Remington - CHARTRES PTY LTD - 31 - Remington House - TO SAVE TIME IS TO LENGTHEN LIFE - STANDARD - Remington Typewriter - TRADE MARK REG - U.S PAT OFFICE - 375-377 Collins St Melbourne - Remington House.

Coal Creek Community Park & Museum, Korumburra

Book - Adam Lindsay Gordon Poems- Introduction by Marcus Clarke

Adam Lindsay Gordon Commemorative Committee , Melbourne

Church Unknown possibly Little Flower

Key words

1960s
ballarat
church
unknown

Ballarat Mechanics' Institute (BMI Ballarat), Ballarat

Brigidine Convent Building

Key words

brigidine convent

Two storey Brigidine Convent built with red bricks. Building of the convent commenced on 11th June 1889. Convent was blessed by Bishop Moore on 18th March 1890.

Historical information

The foundations of the Convent commenced on 11th June 1889. The first donation towards the building of the Convent was received from an old Irish woman of five shillings. Mr McCabe, a Catholic gentleman from Ararat, deeded a piece of ground on 30th June 1889.

Significance

The start of the first Catholic school building in Ararat.

Marian College, Ararat

Ball container, Ball

Key words

tennis

A Slazenger (UK) 'Permacore Pressureless Yellow' tennis balls box. Contains all three original balls. Materials: Ink, Cardboard, Rubber, Synthetic material

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

Nazi knife

Key words

ww2
nazi
germany
naval
dagger

Short lengthed dagger ,double edged and etched blade with orange swirlled handle and eagle on the tip of handle.

Historical information

Germany was governed by the Nazi party during WW2 /1939 to 1945. Fighting a war on many fronts bought about Germanys down fall. The German Navy was a very modern Navy and her Uboat fleet was very active in controlling the seas during the early years of the War and very large Battleships including the Bismark.

Inscriptions & Markings

Eagle creast with Nazi insignia in the clawers of the eagle/Anchor inbedded in the hilt/WKC and knights helmet stamped on the hilt end of the blade/blade etching contains sailing ship/anchor and floral decoration.

Warrnambool RSL Sub Branch, Warrnambool

Photograph

Black and White photograph of White Scout Car heavily bogged on exercise in Chiltern Forest. Four so;diers digging the vehicle out.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Collection of photographs showing early evolution of an armoured regiment of the Citizen Forces as it progressed from WWII equipment and uniforms to post-war equipment and uniforms. Silver regimental hat badges are worn in place of Rising Sun badge.

Inscriptions & Markings

" 1956 White Scout Car bogged in Chiltern area. "

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

no image

Stencil

Key words

wool - transportation wool sales export - wool
wool - transportation
wool sales
export - wool

Inscriptions & Markings

LLOYD

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Photograph

Key words

textile machinery weaving
yarra falls mill david sowden & sons
weaving looms
weaving machinery
textile machinery
weaving

Photograph, black and white, of a "David Sowden & Sons" loom No 494.

Historical information

Photograph probably for promotional purposes, of a "David Sowden and Sons" loom No 494. Photograph was with other photographs in an envelope from Yarra Falls Mill.

Inscriptions & Markings

494

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Photograph - Stag and Bank Hotels

Key words

hotel
bank
stag

Black and white Photograph

Historical information

The Stag built 1848-1853.Land was purchased from Atkinson by John Sanders to serve as Licensed premises. The Bank of Australasia was built around 1855-57, designed by Nathaniel Billing and built by McKenzie and McCowan .

Port Fairy Historical Society , Port Fairy

Dr Alan Nicholson

Key words

dr alan nicholson

Photo

Ballarat Base Hospital Trained Nurses League,

Lace Piece

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
chemical

Chemical lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Woodcarving

Key words

kurt lewinski
wood carvings
dunera boys
refugee in england

Wood carving to represent a labouring activity by Army men in the 8th Employment Co at Tocumwal. Consisting of set of 6 removable figures and 5 removable objects on rectangular wooden base.

Historical information

Made by former camp 2 Tatura internee after his release in 1942 to the 8th Employment Co. at Tocumwal. Kurt Lewinski was a former Dunera Boy, originally from Berlin, refugee in England in 1938 and transported to Australia in 1940.

Inscriptions & Markings

8th E.C. Tocumwal My Boys can do it. K. Lewinski 1945 (on back) Base features inlay plaque with inscription.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

PHOTOGRAPH

Key words

local history
photography
photographs
early citizens

SEPIA PHOTOGRAPH OF GENTLEMAN AND LADY ON A MOTORISED TRICYCLE. BRUSH FENCE IN BACKGROUND.

Clunes Museum, Clunes

Book - Victorian Year-Book 1907-08

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
pattison collection
warrnambool library
ralph eric pattison
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
victorian year-book 1907-08
e t drake

Victorian Year-Book 1907-08 Twenty Eighth Issue Author: E T Drake, Government Statist Publisher: Government Printer Melbourne Date: 1908

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1942 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 319.45 VIC Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Seat

Wooden seat from original steamer Edina

Seaworks Maritime Discovery Centre, Williamstown

no image

PROGRAM

Key words

local history
documents
program

LADIES BALL COURTING CARD FOR CLUNES KNITTING & MANA BALL 28.8.1925. WHITE CARD, PAINTED PROGRAMME WITH HANDWRITTEN NAMES

Clunes Museum, Clunes

Newsletter - Newsletter, No. 241 August 2018

Key words

newsletter
eltham district historical society

A4 newsletter distributed to members

Historical information

Contents: • Finding a Home by Russell Yeoman • Our Next Meeting – Wednesday 8th August 2018 • Open Day at our Local History Centre – Saturday 1st September 2018 • Eltham 1950s – Childhood Reminiscences – Part 5 by Ann Constable • Land for Sale at Little Eltham by Russell Yeoman • The County of Evelyn by Russell Yeoman • An ‘enlightening’ tale by Jim Connor • The Andrew Ross Museum by Mick Woiwod • Kangaroo Ground – Centre of the Shire by Mick Woiwod • On the Thirsty Road to the Diggings by Mick Woiwod • Contacts for the Eltham District Historical Society

Significance

The Shire of Eltham Historical Society was formed in October 1967. The first newsletter of the Society was issued May 1978 and has been published continuously ever since on a bi-monthly basis. With the cessation of the Shire of Eltham in late 1994, the Society's name was revised to Eltham District Historical Society and this name first appeared with issue No. 103, July 1995. The collection of the Society's newsletters provides a valuable resource on the history of the Society's activities, office bearers and committee members, guest speakers and subjects of historical interest pertinent to the former Shire of Eltham and the Eltham District.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Colour - Vaughan Chinese Cemetery, 2017

Key words

vaughan
vaughan springs
vaughan chinese cemetery
chinese

This site was used as a burial ground from 1855 (about) to 1859. European and Chinese pioneers rest here. The Bendigo Chinese Society Honouring the memory of their Countrymen, fenced the site, 1928. Population of Vaughan 1859, 13000

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Doily

Key words

flagstaff hill
warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
handmade garment
chamberlain
dale
lees
stone
betty stone
warrnambool pioneers
doily
linen
manchester

Doily, from the 'Chamberlain Dale Lees Collection'. Oblong, pink flowers and green stems embroidered and lace frill.

Historical information

In the Words of donor, Betty Stone , … “These crocheted and embroidered articles cover a period of three generations- ie. Sarah (nee Chamberlain) Lees, Ann (nee Lees) Dale, and Daisy Elvena (nee Dale) Welsh. All three were accomplished needlewomen; also, both Sarah Lees (born 1844) and her daughter, Ann (b 1865) crocheted a wide variety of articles for use in their homes. A few examples of these items have survived the years.” Baby's Crocheted Bonnet This finely crocheted bonnet was made by Sarah (nee Chamberlain) Lees and is at least one hundred years old. Due to the condition of the original ribbon ties, they have been replaced with new ribbon. Table Runner with insertions, Tray cover and various Doylies, sauce bottle covers etc. These articles were made by Sarah Lees or her daughter Ann (nee Lees) Dale. Pair of Embroidered Pillow Shams, and various embroidered mats These items were made by my mother Daisy (nee Dale) Welsh. (NOTE: For additional information please refer to my book Pioneer and Places- A History of Three Warrnambool Pioneering Families ie. Chamberlain, Dale and Lees families)

Significance

This doily is associated with families of Chamberlain, Dale and Lees. These families are listed in the "Pioneers' Register" for Warrnambool Township and Shire, 1835-1900, published by A.I.G.S. Warrnambool Branch.

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Booklet - Form of Service Authorised to be used at Parades of the Australian Military Forces

Form of Service Prayer Book 23rd November 1914 Australian Military Forces, Authorised by..Printers Hyde and Townsend Limited, London. E.C.

Historical information

World War 1 Form of Service for Church Parade, Australian Armed Forces.

Inscriptions & Markings

W. H. Osbourne , Major, Acting Secretary, Military Board, Melbourne, Victoria 23 November, 1914 Approved by The Chaplains-General, of the Anglican, Presbyterian . and MethodistChurches of the Commonwealth of Australia, and hereby Authorised to be used at all United Church Parades

Lara RSL Sub Branch, Lara

no image

Article - Willis Vale Homestead 1841-1962

Key words

willis vale
robert whatmough
george maygar
charles partington

3 pages, text and black and white images

Historical information

Willis Vale was built in 1841 by George Maygar and named after his wife's maiden name of Willis. This article outlines the lessees and owners of the property, Robert Whatmough (1863) and Charles Partington (1878).

Significance

Outlines the history of this Greensborough property.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Timber three dimensional picture

Key words

craft

A small three dimensional timber picture, depicting a typical Polish kitchen. It has a folk art plate on the wall, a fireplace with exhaust, with a large pot hanging from it, a bench, table, bench seat, utensils and a window on the back wall. Burnt woodwork.

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

Trowell

Key words

sir henry bolte

silver. handle has large knob on end, two ridges below a long moulded piece, three ridges then extension down to flat surface of the trowel. engraved on this is:- "presented to the hon. henry bolte on the occassion of setting the foundation stone of camperdown public offices 3rd december 1960." silver plated.

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

program

Key words

theatre hampton-wick-richmond-company

A very old program from the Richmond Company at the Theatre Hampton-Wick. It is white with black print. There are two performances - First Love and The Agreeable Surprise. There is a cast list for each.

Historical information

"The theatre itself was located in a barn close to the village pond. Its location is indicated on the attached 1827 map of Hampton Wick and the Swan arrowed where tickets were to be had. The picture of Ye Swan around 1900 is probably not too dissimilar to how it would have looked in 1797. One of the regular patrons at the theatre is believed to have been William, Duke of Clarence (later King William IV, uncle of Queen Victoria). The Duke lived in Bushy House about a mile away from the village and was a known devotee of theatrical entertainments. The theatre had disappeared by 1865. It would have been a touring company who were playing on the night of 3 October 1797." ( information from Ray Elmitt, historian of Hampton Wick ) The doors were to be opened at 6 to begin precisely at 7 o'clock,. Boxes were 3 shillings, Pit seats were 2 shillings and seats in the gallery were 1 shilling. Tickets could be bought at the printing office in Kingston or from Mr Ansel of Adam and Eve in Kingston or from Mr Pattenden of the Swan in Hampton Wick. "First Love" is a 1795 sentimental comedy play by the British playwright Richard Cumberland. It was first performed at the Drury Lane Theatre in May 1795. Frederick Mowbray becomes the protector of Sabrina Rosny after her abandoment by Lord Sensitive. The Agreeable Surprise is a 1781 comic opera to music by Samuel Arnold and a libretto by John O'Keeffe. The work in two acts was first performed at the Theatre Royal, Haymarket (London), on 3 September 1781. It was one of the most performed works of its kind in London in the last quarter of the 18th century.

Significance

In England the 18th century saw the flourishing of theatre as a popular pastime. Many theatres were enlarged and new playhouses built in London and the provinces. This item was kept as a souvenir / memento and brought to Australia by an early settler.

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

Register - Marriage Register

Key words

wedding
mission-to-seamen
marriage-register
st-peter-the-mariner
wartime

A medium sized square book, with faded blue paper covers and a dark blue cloth binding. The right hand edges of the covers are torn and water-stained. There are twenty registration pages. This register covers a six year period between 1935 to 1941.

Historical information

This register was used by the Mission to Seamen, in the St. Peter's Seamen's Church from the 14th of December, 1935 to the 3rd of May, 1941. It records the weddings that took place at the church, along with all the information necessary to legalise the marriage under Australian law.

Significance

The register details weddings conducted at the St. Peter's Seamen's Church between 1935 to 1941.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: REGISTER NO. 4 / 14-12-35 / TO / 3-5-41 handwritten in ink. In the top right hand corner of the the front cover is a Mission to Seamen, Melbourne stamp, in blue ink.

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Figurine

Key words

decorative art
chinese

Cast bronze shape in the form of a tree branch with flowers, self-standing. Deep patination.

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

Band Instrument and case

Key words

flagstaff hill
warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village

Brass Band Instrument - Cornet "Solbron" Class A, Light Valve. Boosey & Co makers London. No 98585 Guaranteed British made throughout. Horn 4�" Length 12�"

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Digital image - Celia Little Room

Key words

armchairs
reading
newspapers
wainscoting
ashtray
mission-to-seafarers
celia-little-room
memorial-plaque
life-magazine
floral-display
moreton-bay-bell
coffee-table

Black and white photograph of three men sitting in Celia Little Room at Mission to Seafarers. Man on left is in a suit, sitting on the arm of a chair, reading a newspaper. There is a coffee table with flowers separating him from the second man, also sitting reading a newspaper. The third man is seated in an armchair reading a copy of Life magazine, with an ashtray resting on the arm of the chair.

Historical information

Photograph taken in the Celia Little Room at Mission to Seafarers Melbourne. The Celia Little Room was named in honour of the aunt of one of the serving (and resident) chaplains. The room is a multi-function room, being used at times for banquets or, as the photograph shows, for relaxation, by visiting seafarers.

Significance

Photograph displays the way in which the Celia Little Room, and by extension the Mission to Seafarers, was used by those who utilised the facility during this period.

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

no image

Watercolour - Eastern Beach By The Pool

City of Greater Geelong, Geelong

Draw Knife

Key words

flagstaff hill
warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
coopers draw knife
coopers
draw knife

Coopers Draw Knife - Bent Knife, metal with two wooden handles.

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

no image

Book, Cloth Sample - Collins Bros Pty Ltd Woollen Manufacturers, Geelong, Victoria - Union Colored Flannel, season 1930-31

Key words

collins bros mill pty ltd
cloth - union
flannel

Historical information

Cloth sample book produced by Collins Bros Mill containing samples of union coloured flannel from 1930-31.

Inscriptions & Markings

COLLINS BROS. PTY. LTD. / WOOLLEN MANUFACTURERS / GEELONG, VICTORIA. / Union Colored Flannel / SEASON 1930-31

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Book - Modern Developments in the Australian Wool Industry

Key words

weaving textile industry - history textile production machine knitting textile mills
yarra falls spinning co. pty ltd australian knitting mills limited
yarn - woollen
cloth - worsted
yarn - worsted
wool tops
yarn - cashmere
weaving
textile industry - history
textile production
machine knitting
textile mills

Historical information

"Modern Developments in the Australian Wool Industry", c.1923. Examines the operations of the Yarra Falls Spinning Co. Pty Ltd and the Australian Knitting Mills Limited (makers of Golden Fleece and Kookaburra knitted underwear). Includes photos of processes and of the buildings.

Inscriptions & Markings

F H Murgatroyd/20 Kensington Rd/ Leopold 3224

National Wool Museum, Geelong