2 X penny coins, 1 x 1948 and 1 x 1962, 1 x coin from the Perth Mint. Originally owned by Norman Taylor (WWII Veteran).
Dandenong/Cranbourne RSL Sub Branch, Dandenong
The Importance of Being Earnest A Trivial Comedy for Serious People Author: Oscar Wilde Publisher: Methuen & Co Date: 1915
This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969. WARRNAMBOOL PUBLIC LIBRARY The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) was formed by a voluntary community group in 1863, within six years of Warrnambool’s beginnings, and its Reading Room opened in 1854. The WMI operated until 1963, at which time it was one of the oldest Mechanics’ Institutes in Victoria. Mechanics’ Institutes offered important services to the public including libraries, reading rooms and places to display and store collections of all sorts such as curiosities and local historical relics. In 1886 a Museum and Fine Arts Gallery were added to the WMI and by the beginning of the 20th century there was also a billiards room and a School of Art. By this time all Mechanics’ Institutes in country Victoria had museums attached. Over the years the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Library was also known as the Warrnambool Public Library the Warrnambool Library and the Free Library. Early funding from the government was for the “Free Library”. The inscription in a book “Science of Man” was for the “Warrnambool Public Library”, donated by Joseph Archibald in 1899. Another inscription in the book “Catalogue of Plants Under Cultivation in the Melbourne Botanic Gardens 1 & 2, 1883” was presented to the “Warrnambool Library” and signed by the author W.R. Guilfoyle. In 1903 the Warrnambool Public Library decided to add a Juvenile Department to library and stock it with hundreds of books suitable for youth. In 1905 the Public Library committee decided to update the collection of books and added 100 new novels plus arrangements for the latest novels to be included as soon as they were available in Victoria. In July 1911 the Warrnambool Council took over the management of the Public Library, Art Gallery, Museum and Mechanics’ Institute and planned to double the size of the then-current building. In 1953, when Mr. R. Pattison was Public Librarian, the Warrnambool Public Library’s senior section 10,000 of the 13,000 books were fiction. The children’s section offered an additional 3,400 books. The library had the equivalent of one book per head of population and served around 33 percent of the reading population. The collection of books was made up of around 60 percent reference and 40 percent fiction. The library was lending 400 books per day. In 1963 the Warrnambool City Council allocated the site of the Mechanics’ Institute building, which included the Public Library, Museum and Art Gallery, for the new Municipal Offices and the Collections were dispersed until 1971. The Warrnambool Library took over the Mechanics’ Institute Library’s holdings on behalf of the Warrnambool City Council. Since the closure of the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute the exact location and composition of the original WMI books and items has become unclear. Other materials have been added to the collection, including items from Terang MI, Warrnambool Court House and Customs House. Many of the books have been identified as the Pattison Collection, named after the Librarian who catalogued and numbered the books during his time as Warrnambool Public Librarian in the time before the Mechanics’ Institute closed. It seems that when Warrnambool became part of the Corangamite Regional Library some of the books and materials went to its head office in Colac and then back to Warrnambool where they were stored at the Art Gallery for quite some time. Some then went to the Warrnambool Historical Society, some stayed at the Art Gallery and some were moved to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village. The various stamps and labels on the books held at Flagstaff Hill show the variety of the collection’s distribution and origin. The books in the collection at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village date from the 1850’s to the late 1950’s and include rare and valuable volumes. Many of the books are part of the “Pattison Collection” after the Warrnambool’s Public Librarian, Mr. R. Pattison. WARRNAMBOOL'S MECHANICS' INSTITUTE Warrnambool's Mechanics' Institute (or Institution as it was sometimes called) was one of the earliest in Victoria. On 17th October 1853 a meeting was held where it was resolved to request the Lieutenant Governor of the Colony to grant land for the erection of a Mechanics' Institutes building. A committee was formed at the meeting and Richard Osburne chaired the first meeting of this committee. The land on the North West corner of Banyan and Merri Streets was granted but there were no funds to erect the building. The Formal Rights of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute's encompassed its aims and these were officially adopted in1859; "This Institution has for its object the diffusion of literary, scientific, and other useful knowledge amongst its members, excluding all controversial subjects, religious or political. These objects are sought to be obtained by means of a circulating library, a reading room, the establishment of classes, debates, and the occasional delivery of lectures on natural and experimental philosophy, mechanics, astronomy, chemistry, natural history, literature, and the useful and ornamental arts, particularly those which have a more immediate reference to the colony." The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute opened its first reading room in November1884 in the National School building at the corner of Banyan and Timor Streets. The Institute was funded by member subscription, payable on a quarterly, half yearly or yearly basis. Samuel Hannaford, the Manager of the Warrnambool Bank of Australasia, was the first Honorary Secretary of the Mechanics' Institutes, and an early President and Vice-President. He also gave several of the early lectures in the Reading Room. Another early Secretary, Librarian and lecturer was Marmaduke Fisher, the teacher at the National School. Lecture topics included The Poets and Poetry of Ireland', 'The Birth and Development of the Earth', 'The Vertebrae - with Remarks on the pleasures resulting from the study of Natural History' and 'Architecture'. In 1856 the Reading Room was moved to James Hider's shop in Timor Street, and by 1864 it was located in the bookshop of Davies and Read. In the 1860's the Mechanics' Institute struggled as membership waned but in 1866, after a series of fund raising efforts, the committee was able to purchase land in Liebig Street, on a site then called Market Square, between the weighbridge and the fire station. A Mechanics' Institute building was opened at this site in August 1871. The following year four more rooms were added to the main Reading Room and in 1873 the Artisan School of Design was incorporated into the Institute. The same year Joseph Archibald established a Museum; however it deteriorated when he was transferred to Bendigo in 1877. In 1880, with Archibald's return to Warrnambool, the Museum was re-established, and in 1885 a new building was built at the back of the Institute to accommodate the re-created School of Design, the Art Gallery and the Museum. In 1887 the Museum section was moved to the former court house in Timor Street (for some time the walls of the building formed part of the TAFE cafeteria but all is now demolished)). In 1911 the Museum was transferred back to the original building and the management of the Mechanics' Institute was handed over to the Warrnambool City Council. The Museum and Art Gallery became one and housed many fine works of art, and the Library continued to grow. The building was well patronised, with records showing that at the beginning of the 20th century there were between 500 and 800 visitors. During World War One the monthly figures were in the thousands, with 3,400 people visiting in January 1915. The Museum was a much loved Institution in Warrnambool until the contents of the Museum and Art Gallery were removed to make room for the Warrnambool City Council Engineers' Department. The contents were stored but many of the items were scattered or lost. When the original building was demolished the site became occupied by the Civic Centre, which included the new City Library. (The library was temporarily located in the old Palais building in Koroit Street.) In the process of reorganisation the Collection was distributed amongst the community groups: -The new City Library took some of the historic books and some important documents, historic photographs and newspapers. -The Art Gallery kept the 19th Century art collection and some of the artefacts from the museum. -The Historic Society has some items -The State Museum has some items -Some items were destroyed -Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village has old newspapers, Government Gazettes, most of the Mechanics' Institute Library, ledgers and documents connected to the Mechanics' Institute Library, some framed and unframed art works and some photographs. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute Library book collection is deemed to be of great importance because it is one of the few collections in an almost intact state, and many of the books are now very rare and of great value.
The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance. SIGNIFICANCE The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, and to reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. As with many Mechanics' Institutes in Australia, the one which operated in Warrnambool was established and overseen for many years by key individuals associated with the development of the city itself. The WMI publication collection is historically significant because of its association with local people, places and the key historical themes in the development of Warrnambool of rural development, industry, farming, education, and community. The collection documents and illustrates the changing interests, focus and tastes of Victorians, especially those in regional cities. Generally the individual items in the collection are not particularly rare, as examples of all probably exist in other public collections in Victoria. It is primarily because there are so very few surviving Mechanics' Institute collections in Victoria, which lends this overall collection its significance. Many items in the WMI Collection have the potential to support further research, both as individual objects and through the collection in its entirety. This material is significant for its ability to assist in the interpretation of the history of the area and adds to the general understanding of the development of the township. Many components of the WMI publication collection complement and reinforce the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum Collection, the Warrnambool Art Gallery Collection, and that in the Warrnambool Historical Society, and also contribute to a clearer understanding of the original Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute collections. This will greatly enhance the appreciation of the few surviving Mechanics' Institute collections across Victoria, and also in New South Wales. The similarities and differences between the small number of collections that have survived can provide further insights into how the people of Victoria in general, and Warrnambool in particular, constructed a civic culture of adult learning to foster an informed citizenry. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute publication collection is of both local and state significance.
Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 822 WIL Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool
Typewritten letter on buff-coloured, fine paper; light brown DL envelope; printed invitation on white heavy card; small refreshment card, printed on mid-yellow light card; small dress card printed on stone-coloured light card. All paper slightly aged.
Roger Herbert Mitchell attended Ballarat College 1951-1956. Recipient of a Council Scholarship, HV McKay Scholarship for 6 years and Boarding Scholarship. Sport and co-curricular activities included: 2nd Crew 1956, Minervan & Library Committee 1955, House Prefect, and school drama productions. Roger was a Cadet Cpl 1954, Sgt 1955 and Under Officer 1956.
Provides significant detail regarding the size and role of Cadet program within the school.
handwritten on invitation: Cadet Under Officer Mitchell. R. H.
Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat
This photograph is from the Max Harris Collection held by the Ballaraat Mechanics' Institute. Please contact BMI for all print and usage inquiries.
Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute (BMI Ballarat), Ballarat
Five digital images showing a hillside in Warrnambool.
Victorian Interpretive Projects Inc., Redan, 3350
A rectangular black enamel sign on metal ground featuring polychrome insignia of Naval Ordnance Inspection and Design. The insignia shows circular border of ropework encircling a red ground depicting a black and white cannon with a large lynx type feline. The ropework border is surmounted by a stylised crown like structure comprised of: a split focsle?, two sails with red pennants or burgees and stern of a galleon and around the band of the crown a red 'jewel' flanked by two blue green 'jewels'
An example of elaborate enamel signage acquired as a result of the long standing close links of Naval forces with the Mission to Seafarers from 19th C onwards.
Insignia wording in yellow on black ground in upper case letters: " NAVAL ORDNANCE INSPECTION / AND DESIGN / SAFETY AND QUALITY " Below insignia in white paint in upper case letters: "INSPECTOR NAVAL ORDNANCE / MELBOURNE"
Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands
Steel Helmet missing the liner. Sprung canvas chin strap. With dark green mesh camo cover.
Stamped inside 1 - 54 L R
Ringwood RSL Sub-Branch, Ringwood
Peters Ice Cream tub. Inside is an icing set consisting of a metal icing gun, a metal plunger, and 5 metal nozzles.
Use by Date sticker says "Best before 19 SEP 92"
Southern Sherbrooke Historical Society Inc., Belgrave Heights 3160
The King family in front of house Kanya. Kanya store kitchen on left.
Stawell Historical Society Inc, Stawell
A book with a brown front cover with a plastic over-sheet and plastic binding.On the cover are b/w drawings of rural landscapes, trees and the coast. It is titled SHIRE OF ORBOST PLANNING STUDY Part 1 Strategic Overviews, March 1989.
This document was produced in 1989 for Orbost Shire Council. It ccovers the area s of Orbost, Mallacoota, Cann River and Newmerella and includes urban and non-urban areas.
This document is a useful reference tool.
Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost
Two identical copies of a postcard. 2nd photo No. 183.05. Mutton Bird eggers camps at Cleeland Bight, Cape Woolamai. Tents in the foregrounds and boats in the background.
Two of a collection of photographs donated by Mary Karney
"Mutton Bird Eggers Camps. Cape Woolamai."
Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES
2 sheave wood block with loop
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool
Daffodils - No. 4 in a series of dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.
The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored.
Villa Alba Museum, Kew
Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre Heritage Collection, Surrey Hills
Green covered book of 64 pages.
Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen
A commemorative certificate documenting the war service of Thomas Evan Rand of ‘Urangeline’, Barkers Road, Kew. Thomas Rand was an engineering student when he enrolled as a private in the Australian Army. He embarked on HMAT Orsova A67 on 16 March 1916. He was enlisted in the No 1 Squadron, Flying Corps. The formal certificate records that ‘ Thomas Evan Rand served Australia and the Empire in the Great War and in grateful recognition of his voluntary response to his Country’s Call his name is inscribed on the Roll of Honor of the Town of Kew’. The then Mayor and Town Clerk signed the certificate. [Kew did not become a ‘City’ until 1921]. The certificate highlights emblems and symbols of Australia and Great Britain, and includes the coats of arms of the allies in the war. The certificate is customised with two black and white photographs of Kew: the rotunda in the Alexandra Gardens at left, and boating on the Yarra River at right.
Thomas Evan Rand was born at Hawthorn. He enlisted for service during World War One as an almost 20 year old engineering student, serving with the Australian Flying Corps.
Thomas Evan Rand served Australia and the Empire in the Great War and in grateful recognition of his voluntary response to his Country's Call his name is recorded on the Roll of Honor Town of Kew on behalf of the Mayor, Councillors and Burgesses. 1.8.18. E.P. Wynne [Mayor] H. Harrison [Town Clerk]
Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew
Black and white photographs. One of John Wilson, a teacher, operating a radio. On the wall there is a VK3BF banner and maps of Australia and of Victoria. The photo is undated but is referred to in Scott's history of Collingwood Technical School 'Coltech' and probably dates in the 1970s. The second photo is of members of the 1971 Amateur Radio Club of Collingwood Technical College Also Amateur Radio Club Membership Certificates for 1971 and 1981
There is also a paragraph taken from Scott's history which records the development of the Club.
NMIT (Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE),
A gold pocket watch C1920
The Elgin National Watch Company, most commonly known as just the Elgin Watch Company, was a major US watch maker from 1867 until its closure in 1968. The company sold watches under the names, Elgin, Lord Elgin, and Lady Elgin. They began in Chicago, Illinois, USA
City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond
Bell bottoms white
Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey
Postcards, Japanese paper material for Austrlian POWs. On the front are the prisoner's details and the recipients. On the rear is a description of the person's health and the date. Card is a yellowish colour with Japanese inscription and a date. Cards are re. MC Willoughby.
These cards were filled out to give the impression that everything was okay. M.C.Willoughby VX54056. POW. Refer 1112 certificate, 1115 medals.
.1 Handwritten in pen "Parker 4" .2 Handwritten in pen "Parker 3"
Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo
This guide contains information to help individuals and groups working locally to identify, conserve and protect heritage places.
Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre Heritage Collection, Surrey Hills
A blue and white fridge magnet issued by Hume City Council with waste and recycling information printed on it.
The fridge magnets were distributed to residents within the Hume City Council area. They included details and contact numbers for the city's waste and recycling services.
Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury
Black and white photograph of a man and a woman seated on a garden bench in front of a veranda.
On back of photo: "Mr and Mrs Ready"
Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen
Mallet large with wooden handle attached to wooden head with 2 metal ferrules at top and bottom of head 245mmH x 140mmW head. Overall 649mmL
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool
Two men are standing near an open wooden door of a corrugated iron and wooden building with windows.Unmounted black and white
The original photo is part of an album taken by W.Walls, the front page of which is inscribed "The Hill/Sunbury/April 1897". Whilst most of the photos relate to the environs of the asylum, there are others taken around Sunbury and elsewhere. The original album is held as part of the Mental health Collection. During 2000 this was transferred from Mont Park to the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury
Black bakelite wall mounted dial type telephone. Removable metal base for access and mounting. Chrome circular dial.
No markings, probably PMG issue.
Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon
Eight photographs of the War Memorial at Traralgon.
Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office
Gold metal badge in a shield shape with royal blue enamel with text as a banner across the top and again at the bottom . An inner shield contains a cross in red with five stars . The four corners each contain a symbol .
This badge has been issued by the Victorian branch of the Manchester Unity Independent Order of OddFellows. This is a benefit society owned by members who assist other members in times of illness or unemployment. Originally founded in Manchester, England, the M.U.I.O.O.F. started in Melbourne in 1840. The Warrnambool branch was founded in 1860.
This badge has no known local provenance but Warrnambool members of the M.U.I.O.O.F. would probably have worn such a badge in the past so it is kept as a memento of those times.
MANCHESTER UNITY IOOF . Victoria at the top of the badge. Makers name Newman is stamped on the back.
Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool
Note steam train centre background.
This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.' It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.
Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham
Folder of information on Alfred Lowman, Yarra Glen, 1882
Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham