Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Talking Shop: Ballarat in Business and City Life at Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

27 Jun 2019

Curated By

Amy Tsilemanis, Curator, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

155268 items

close

155268 items

no image

Wine - Bottle of Port to Commemorate the 10th Anniversary of the Ballarat College of Advanced Education, 1986

Key words

ballarat college of advanced education
st anne's vineyard
10th anniversary

Two bottles of 1984 port from St Anne's Vineyard bottled and labelled to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Ballarat College of Advanced Education.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Report - Report of the Minister of Public Instruction 1946-1947

Key words

minister for public instruction
report
technical education
1946 - 1947
victoria

3 photocopied foolscap page on technical education from the Report of the Minister of Public Education.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Document - The Battery - from the model mine at the Ballarat School of Mines

Key words

the battery
ballarat school of mines
mt helen campus
battery building
a.c. burrow

3 foolscap pages - 1 typed page and 2 diagrams regarding the move of The Battery to Mt Helen from its present site in the Battery Building at the School of mines Ballarat.

Historical information

The battery is now located between F & G Building Mt Helen

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Document - The School of Mine and Industries Ballarat Staff and Subject Lists 1961

Key words

ballarat school of mines and industries
ballarat school of mines
staff
subjects
m.k. aston
e.j. barker
g.w. barrell
j.bell
g. biddington
a.c. burrow
c. cunningham
j.a.dally
p.l. day
w.g. durant
h.w. goldsmith
l.f.j. hillman
f.h. hooper
d.j. jelbart
g.s. jones
e.r. mcgrath
a.m. mackinnon
a.c. miller
l.g. pattenden
a.j. murdoch
m.t. pullen
h.j. trudinger
h. yates

Foolscap typed page listing staff and the subjects they taught in 1961.

Inscriptions & Markings

Error written in large writing on back of first page.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Document - Ballarat Technical Art School Timetable

Key words

ballarat east technical and art school
f. foster
g. wightman
j.c. barber
a.w. steane
a. hughes
jno l. eddy
freehand
geometry
brush drawing
engineering drawing
sign writing
model drawing
wood carving and repousse
dress cutting

Handwritten sheet showing teachers' names, subjects, days, hours etc.

Historical information

Ballarat East Technical and Art School is an early division of the School of Mines Ballarat

Inscriptions & Markings

Ballarat East Technical and Art School stamp at the bottom of the page.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Document - Extract from the Government Gazette Victoria

Key words

government gazette
tony dare
schools of mines and technical schools
education unit rmit
rules for management
alexander peacock

Foolscap size 3 page photocopied extract from the Government Gazette Victoria Vol 2, 1892, pp 3196-8 on rules of management for technical schools with a with compliments slip from Tony Dare

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Electrical Instrument - Moore Reed "Universal" Acoustic Coupler: Type TC301

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Document - Agreement between Ford motor Company and School of Mines Ballarat

Key words

agreement
ford motor company
school of mines ballarat
1927
john robinson
r.h.lonie
f.j.carter

3 typed foolscap pages outlining the agreement between Ford Motor Company and School of Mines Ballarat

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Booklet - Technical Education 1970 Centenary

Key words

technical education centenary
education department
e.t. jackson
donald clark
ernest p. eltham
oliver e. nilsson
a. ronald shannon
john l. kepert
l.h. thompson
j.a. rafferty
f.h. brooks
w.a. crellin
j.m. burke
l.j. watts
r.j. middleton
r.a. armitage
r.g. ritchie

40 page booklet with brown cover with education department coat of arms.

Historical information

Technical education in Australia virtually began at Ballarat in 1870. In the intervening century technical schools and colleges have contributed immeasurably to the life of our people and to the development of our nation.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Booklet - Ballarat School of Mines, Planning Proposal, The Creation of a Centre For Regional Development

Key words

ballarat school of mines and industries
planning document
creation of a centre for regional development
tafe planning officer
planning proposal
planning resources

16 page A4 document on planning resources

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Book - School of mines and industries, Ballarat, Submission for the accreditation of a Community Welfare and Development Certificate

Yellow covered A4 book of 64 pages

Historical information

Course outline

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Books - Sources in the history of Victorian Education No.3 Vol 1 & 2 Royal Commission on Technical Education 1899-1901 Minutes of Evidence

Key words

victorian education
royal commission
technical education
andrew anderson
gilbert dawbarn
thomas hart
frederick martell
richard middleton
alfred mica smith
robert pinnock
walter wynne
ponsonby carew-smyth
maude glover
herman h. schlapp
william knox
frederick paul
herbert h. smith
william macdonald
theodore fink

Two books with orange/yellow covers outlining the Royal Commission into Technical Education in 1899 -1901 .1 has 256 pages .2 has 579 pages

Historical information

The Fink Report was important for the social, economic and educational history of Victoria. It gave an insight into a broad cross section of Victorian life at the turn on the century. Eight staff from the School of Mines Ballarat were interviewed as part of the Royal Commission.

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamped withdrawn on front cover and first page and UB stamped on the side.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Document - Ballarat Field Club and Science Society Establishment, 1882

Key words

ballarat field club and science society
ballarat field naturalists club
hermann ritz
nature study
ballarat school of mines

Printed letter relating to the establishment and fees for the Ballarat Field Club and Science Society. This society had strong associations with the Ballarat School of Mines.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Booklet - School of Mines and Industries Ballarat - TAFE training that works.

Key words

tafe training that works
ballarat school of mines and industries
ballarat school of mines
prospective students
fees and charges
entry requirements
how to apply
courses

Booklet with information for prospective students regarding courses available, entry requirements, employment opportunities, duration and mode of study, and how to apply as well as fee information, maps, information to help you study etc. .1 - 1996 .2 - 1997

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Badge

Key words

order of st luke

Gold, blue and white enamel Order of St Luke badge.

Inscriptions & Markings

"LUX DUX REX LEX" "JESU ESTO MIHI JESUS" "ORDER OF ST LUKE"

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

no image

Booklet - Your four Years With us Ballarat School of Mines and Industries

Key words

your four years with us
the school of mines and industries
ballarat school of mines
booklet

4 x orange covered booklets with information on tertiary education, your objective in life, the importance of basic training, the importance of learning, passing examinations, how to study efficiently and your health.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Report - Report on Explosion in Machine Shop, Ballarat School of Mines.

Key words

ballarat school of mines
h.w. goldsmith
machine shop
explosion
report

Handwritten report outlining the explosion that occurred in the machine shop at School of Mines Ballarat in 1943 and envelope

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

List of Guests - Centenary Dinner Guest list

Key words

technical education
guests
centenary
sir douglas menzies
a.e. mills
trevor chapman
wanda chapman
e.j. tippett
rex hollioake
lindsay hillman
albert peart
j. lawn
edith lawn
william durant
heather durant
geoffrey biddington
kevin murray
pat hope
arthur burrow
tom norwood
arch mackinnon
david jelbart
lindsay pattenden
robert morrell
henry moritz
stan sweatman
e.j. barker
jack barker
geoffrey mainwaring
zig plavina
rolly parfenovics
hester darby
ken flecknoe
t. seymour
carol seymour
keith allan
roger lemke
dudley erwin

3 Foolscap size typed pages that is a list of guests attending the centenary dinner at the School of Mines, Ballarat

Historical information

The Centenary dinner was to celebrate the centenary of Technical Education in Victoria in 1970.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Book - The Treasure of The Never-Never

Key words

flagstaff hill
warrnambool
shipwrecked coast
flagstaff hill maritime museum
maritime museum
shipwreck coast
flagstaff hill maritime village
great ocean road
book
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
warrnambool public library
james m downie
the treasure of the never-never
john c. downie

The Treasure of The Never-Never Author: James M Downie Publisher: Blackie & Son Ltd Further Information: Illustrated by John C. Downie

Inscriptions & Markings

The label on spine cover has typed text R.A. 823.91 DOW Front loose endpaper has a sticker from Warrnambool Children's Library

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - Cicero

Key words

flagstaff hill
warrnambool
shipwrecked coast
flagstaff hill maritime museum
maritime museum
shipwreck coast
flagstaff hill maritime village
great ocean road
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library

Cicero Author: Rev. W Lucas Collins Publisher: William Blackwood & Sons Date: 1871

Historical information

This book was part of a large group of books referred to as the Pattison Collection, which belonged to the Warrnambool Public Library, part of the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute. About RALPH ERIC PATTISON and the ‘PATTISON COLLECTION’ The ‘Pattison Collection’ is a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the WMI was led to ask the City Council to take it over in 1911 due to lack of financial support. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Public Library as it was then called. Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 when Pattison accepted the position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council his huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower areas of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave from 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However, he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969. THE NEW WARRNAMBOOL LIBRARY When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Pattison. Eventually, the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. WARRNAMBOOL MECHANICS’ INSTITUTE Warrnambool's Mechanics' Institute (or Institution as it was sometimes called) was one of the earliest in Victoria. On 17th October 1853, a meeting was held where it was resolved to request the Lieutenant Governor of the Colony to grant land for the erection of a Mechanics' Institutes building. A committee was formed at the meeting and Richard Osburne chaired the first meeting of this committee. The land on the North West corner of Banyan and Merri Streets was granted but there were no funds to erect the building. The Formal Rights of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute's encompassed its aims and these were officially adopted in1859; "This Institution has for its object the diffusion of literary, scientific, and other useful knowledge amongst its members, excluding all controversial subjects, religious or political. These objects are sought to be obtained by means of a circulating library, a reading room, the establishment of classes, debates, and the occasional delivery of lectures on natural and experimental philosophy, mechanics, astronomy, chemistry, natural history, literature, and the useful and ornamental arts, particularly those which have a more immediate reference to the colony." The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute opened its first reading room in November 1884 in the National School building at the corner of Banyan and Timor Streets. The Institute was funded by member subscription, payable on a quarterly, half-yearly or yearly basis. Samuel Hannaford, the Manager of the Warrnambool Bank of Australasia, was the first Honorary Secretary of the Mechanics' Institutes, and an early President and Vice-President. He also gave several of the early lectures in the Reading Room. Another early Secretary, Librarian and lecturer was Marmaduke Fisher, the teacher at the National School. Lecture topics included The Poets and Poetry of Ireland', 'The Birth and Development of the Earth', 'The Vertebrae - with Remarks on the pleasures resulting from the study of Natural History' and 'Architecture'. In 1856 the Reading Room was moved to James Hider's shop in Timor Street, and by 1864 it was located in the bookshop of Davies and Read. In the 1860's the Mechanics' Institute struggled as membership waned but in 1866, after a series of fundraising efforts, the committee was able to purchase land in Liebig Street, on a site then called Market Square, between the weighbridge and the fire station. A Mechanics' Institute building was opened at this site in August 1871. The following year four more rooms were added to the main Reading Room and in 1873 the Artisan School of Design was incorporated into the Institute. The same year Joseph Archibald established a Museum; however, it deteriorated when he was transferred to Bendigo in 1877. In 1880, with Archibald's return to Warrnambool, the Museum was re-established, and in 1885 a new building was built at the back of the Institute to accommodate the re-created School of Design, the Art Gallery and the Museum. In 1887 the Museum section was moved to the former courthouse in Timor Street (for some time the walls of the building formed part of the TAFE cafeteria but all is now demolished)). In 1911 the Museum was transferred back to the original building and the management of the Mechanics' Institute was handed over to the Warrnambool City Council. The Museum and Art Gallery became one and housed many fine works of art, and the Library continued to grow. The building was well patronised, with records showing that at the beginning of the 20th century there were between 500 and 800 visitors. During World War One the monthly figures were in the thousands, with 3,400 people visiting in January 1915. The Museum was a much loved Institution in Warrnambool until the contents of the Museum and Art Gallery were removed to make room for the Warrnambool City Council Engineers' Department. The contents were stored but many of the items were scattered or lost. When the original building was demolished the site became occupied by the Civic Centre, which included the new City Library. (The library was temporarily located in the old Palais building in Koroit Street.) In the process of reorganisation the Collection was distributed amongst the community groups: -The new City Library took some of the historical books and some important documents, historic photographs and newspapers. -The Art Gallery kept the 19th Century art collection and some of the artefacts from the museum. -The Historical Society has some items -The State Museum has some items -Some items were destroyed -Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village has old newspapers, Government Gazettes, most of the Mechanics' Institute Library, ledgers and documents connected to the Mechanics' Institute Library, some framed and unframed artworks and some photographs. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute Library book collection is deemed to be of great importance because it is one of the few collections in an almost intact state, and many of the books are now very rare and of great value.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

The label on spine cover with typed text PAT 875 CIC Pastedown front endpaper has a sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library Front loose endpaper has a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - Jane Austen

Key words

flagstaff hill
warrnambool
shipwrecked coast
flagstaff hill maritime museum
maritime museum
shipwreck coast
flagstaff hill maritime village
great ocean road
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
jane austen
francis warre cornish

Jane Austen Author: Francis Warre Cornish Publisher: Macmillan And Co Date: 1913

Historical information

This book was part of a large group of books referred to as the Pattison Collection, which belonged to the Warrnambool Public Library, part of the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute. About RALPH ERIC PATTISON and the ‘PATTISON COLLECTION’ The ‘Pattison Collection’ is a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the WMI was led to ask the City Council to take it over in 1911 due to lack of financial support. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Public Library as it was then called. Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 when Pattison accepted the position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council his huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower areas of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave from 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However, he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969. THE NEW WARRNAMBOOL LIBRARY When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Pattison. Eventually, the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. WARRNAMBOOL MECHANICS’ INSTITUTE Warrnambool's Mechanics' Institute (or Institution as it was sometimes called) was one of the earliest in Victoria. On 17th October 1853, a meeting was held where it was resolved to request the Lieutenant Governor of the Colony to grant land for the erection of a Mechanics' Institutes building. A committee was formed at the meeting and Richard Osburne chaired the first meeting of this committee. The land on the North West corner of Banyan and Merri Streets was granted but there were no funds to erect the building. The Formal Rights of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute's encompassed its aims and these were officially adopted in1859; "This Institution has for its object the diffusion of literary, scientific, and other useful knowledge amongst its members, excluding all controversial subjects, religious or political. These objects are sought to be obtained by means of a circulating library, a reading room, the establishment of classes, debates, and the occasional delivery of lectures on natural and experimental philosophy, mechanics, astronomy, chemistry, natural history, literature, and the useful and ornamental arts, particularly those which have a more immediate reference to the colony." The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute opened its first reading room in November 1884 in the National School building at the corner of Banyan and Timor Streets. The Institute was funded by member subscription, payable on a quarterly, half-yearly or yearly basis. Samuel Hannaford, the Manager of the Warrnambool Bank of Australasia, was the first Honorary Secretary of the Mechanics' Institutes, and an early President and Vice-President. He also gave several of the early lectures in the Reading Room. Another early Secretary, Librarian and lecturer was Marmaduke Fisher, the teacher at the National School. Lecture topics included The Poets and Poetry of Ireland', 'The Birth and Development of the Earth', 'The Vertebrae - with Remarks on the pleasures resulting from the study of Natural History' and 'Architecture'. In 1856 the Reading Room was moved to James Hider's shop in Timor Street, and by 1864 it was located in the bookshop of Davies and Read. In the 1860's the Mechanics' Institute struggled as membership waned but in 1866, after a series of fundraising efforts, the committee was able to purchase land in Liebig Street, on a site then called Market Square, between the weighbridge and the fire station. A Mechanics' Institute building was opened at this site in August 1871. The following year four more rooms were added to the main Reading Room and in 1873 the Artisan School of Design was incorporated into the Institute. The same year Joseph Archibald established a Museum; however, it deteriorated when he was transferred to Bendigo in 1877. In 1880, with Archibald's return to Warrnambool, the Museum was re-established, and in 1885 a new building was built at the back of the Institute to accommodate the re-created School of Design, the Art Gallery and the Museum. In 1887 the Museum section was moved to the former courthouse in Timor Street (for some time the walls of the building formed part of the TAFE cafeteria but all is now demolished)). In 1911 the Museum was transferred back to the original building and the management of the Mechanics' Institute was handed over to the Warrnambool City Council. The Museum and Art Gallery became one and housed many fine works of art, and the Library continued to grow. The building was well patronised, with records showing that at the beginning of the 20th century there were between 500 and 800 visitors. During World War One the monthly figures were in the thousands, with 3,400 people visiting in January 1915. The Museum was a much loved Institution in Warrnambool until the contents of the Museum and Art Gallery were removed to make room for the Warrnambool City Council Engineers' Department. The contents were stored but many of the items were scattered or lost. When the original building was demolished the site became occupied by the Civic Centre, which included the new City Library. (The library was temporarily located in the old Palais building in Koroit Street.) In the process of reorganisation the Collection was distributed amongst the community groups: -The new City Library took some of the historical books and some important documents, historic photographs and newspapers. -The Art Gallery kept the 19th Century art collection and some of the artefacts from the museum. -The Historical Society has some items -The State Museum has some items -Some items were destroyed -Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village has old newspapers, Government Gazettes, most of the Mechanics' Institute Library, ledgers and documents connected to the Mechanics' Institute Library, some framed and unframed artworks and some photographs. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute Library book collection is deemed to be of great importance because it is one of the few collections in an almost intact state, and many of the books are now very rare and of great value.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

The label on spine cover with typed text PAT 823 COR Pastedown front endpaper has a sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - Wit and Wisdom

Key words

flagstaff hill
warrnambool
shipwrecked coast
flagstaff hill maritime museum
maritime museum
shipwreck coast
flagstaff hill maritime village
great ocean road
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
wit and wisdom
benjamin disraeli

Wit and Wisdom Author: Benjamin Disraeli Publisher: Longmans Green and Co Date: 1886 Further Information: Wit and Wisdom of Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield. Collected from his writings and speeches

Historical information

This book was part of a large group of books referred to as the Pattison Collection, which belonged to the Warrnambool Public Library, part of the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute. About RALPH ERIC PATTISON and the ‘PATTISON COLLECTION’ The ‘Pattison Collection’ is a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the WMI was led to ask the City Council to take it over in 1911 due to lack of financial support. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Public Library as it was then called. Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 when Pattison accepted the position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council his huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower areas of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave from 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However, he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969. THE NEW WARRNAMBOOL LIBRARY When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Pattison. Eventually, the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. WARRNAMBOOL MECHANICS’ INSTITUTE Warrnambool's Mechanics' Institute (or Institution as it was sometimes called) was one of the earliest in Victoria. On 17th October 1853, a meeting was held where it was resolved to request the Lieutenant Governor of the Colony to grant land for the erection of a Mechanics' Institutes building. A committee was formed at the meeting and Richard Osburne chaired the first meeting of this committee. The land on the North West corner of Banyan and Merri Streets was granted but there were no funds to erect the building. The Formal Rights of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute's encompassed its aims and these were officially adopted in1859; "This Institution has for its object the diffusion of literary, scientific, and other useful knowledge amongst its members, excluding all controversial subjects, religious or political. These objects are sought to be obtained by means of a circulating library, a reading room, the establishment of classes, debates, and the occasional delivery of lectures on natural and experimental philosophy, mechanics, astronomy, chemistry, natural history, literature, and the useful and ornamental arts, particularly those which have a more immediate reference to the colony." The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute opened its first reading room in November 1884 in the National School building at the corner of Banyan and Timor Streets. The Institute was funded by member subscription, payable on a quarterly, half-yearly or yearly basis. Samuel Hannaford, the Manager of the Warrnambool Bank of Australasia, was the first Honorary Secretary of the Mechanics' Institutes, and an early President and Vice-President. He also gave several of the early lectures in the Reading Room. Another early Secretary, Librarian and lecturer was Marmaduke Fisher, the teacher at the National School. Lecture topics included The Poets and Poetry of Ireland', 'The Birth and Development of the Earth', 'The Vertebrae - with Remarks on the pleasures resulting from the study of Natural History' and 'Architecture'. In 1856 the Reading Room was moved to James Hider's shop in Timor Street, and by 1864 it was located in the bookshop of Davies and Read. In the 1860's the Mechanics' Institute struggled as membership waned but in 1866, after a series of fundraising efforts, the committee was able to purchase land in Liebig Street, on a site then called Market Square, between the weighbridge and the fire station. A Mechanics' Institute building was opened at this site in August 1871. The following year four more rooms were added to the main Reading Room and in 1873 the Artisan School of Design was incorporated into the Institute. The same year Joseph Archibald established a Museum; however, it deteriorated when he was transferred to Bendigo in 1877. In 1880, with Archibald's return to Warrnambool, the Museum was re-established, and in 1885 a new building was built at the back of the Institute to accommodate the re-created School of Design, the Art Gallery and the Museum. In 1887 the Museum section was moved to the former courthouse in Timor Street (for some time the walls of the building formed part of the TAFE cafeteria but all is now demolished)). In 1911 the Museum was transferred back to the original building and the management of the Mechanics' Institute was handed over to the Warrnambool City Council. The Museum and Art Gallery became one and housed many fine works of art, and the Library continued to grow. The building was well patronised, with records showing that at the beginning of the 20th century there were between 500 and 800 visitors. During World War One the monthly figures were in the thousands, with 3,400 people visiting in January 1915. The Museum was a much loved Institution in Warrnambool until the contents of the Museum and Art Gallery were removed to make room for the Warrnambool City Council Engineers' Department. The contents were stored but many of the items were scattered or lost. When the original building was demolished the site became occupied by the Civic Centre, which included the new City Library. (The library was temporarily located in the old Palais building in Koroit Street.) In the process of reorganisation the Collection was distributed amongst the community groups: -The new City Library took some of the historical books and some important documents, historic photographs and newspapers. -The Art Gallery kept the 19th Century art collection and some of the artefacts from the museum. -The Historical Society has some items -The State Museum has some items -Some items were destroyed -Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village has old newspapers, Government Gazettes, most of the Mechanics' Institute Library, ledgers and documents connected to the Mechanics' Institute Library, some framed and unframed artworks and some photographs. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute Library book collection is deemed to be of great importance because it is one of the few collections in an almost intact state, and many of the books are now very rare and of great value.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

The label on spine cover with typed text PAT 824 DIS Pastedown front endpaper has a sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

no image

Report - Ballarat School of Mines Submission to the Enquiry into Post Secondary Education in Victoria, 1977

Key words

ballarat school of mines
post secondary education

.1) A typed report from the Ballarat School of Mines to the enquiry into Post Secondary Education in Victoria from the School of Mines and Industries Ballarat. .2) A typed report from the Ballarat School of Mines to the enquiry into Post Secondary Education in Victoria from the Teaching Staff and Senior Administrative Staff School of Mines and Industries Ballarat.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Booklet - Ballarat School of Mines General Information for Diploma Students Booklets

Key words

ballarat school of mines and industries
diploma information
the diploma school
applied chemistry
metallurgy
geology
electrical engineering
mechanical engineering
civil engineering
mining engineering
applied physics
art

.1 , .2 & .3 Beige colour booklets of 4, and 11 pages, .4 & .5 pale green booklets of 11 pages and .6 & .7 red booklets of 16 pages, with information about length of courses, the academic year, class times, credit for subjects of course, examinations, exemptions, the awarding of the diploma, conferring of diplomas, entrance to university, extra curricular activities, school boards, enrolment and re enrolment, and payment of fees.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Report - Ballarat School of Mines Census, 1953

Key words

ballarat school of mines
census
f.e. ferguson

A carbine copy of a typed letter, and a census on Victorian Education Department proforma.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Book List - Ballarat Junior Technical School List of Books etc. - 2nd Year

Key words

ballarat junior technical school
list of books
2nd year
mechanics & physics
mensuration
arithmetic
badge
algebra
geometry
euclid
english

Ballarat Junior Technical School - list of Books etc. for 2nd Year 1916

Historical information

Ballarat Junior Technical was a division of the Ballarat School of Mines.

Inscriptions & Markings

70 copies written top right hand corner, total of 19 crossed out and 18 put in its place.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Book - In Wild New Britain

Key words

flagstaff hill
warrnambool
shipwrecked coast
flagstaff hill maritime museum
maritime museum
shipwreck coast
flagstaff hill maritime village
great ocean road
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
in wild new britain
wallace deane
benjamin danks

In Wild New Britain Edited by Wallace Deane Publisher: Angus & Robertson Date: 1933 Further Information: The story of Benjamin Danks pioneer missionary from his dairy

Historical information

This book was part of a large group of books referred to as the Pattison Collection, which belonged to the Warrnambool Public Library, part of the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute. About RALPH ERIC PATTISON and the ‘PATTISON COLLECTION’ The ‘Pattison Collection’ is a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the WMI was led to ask the City Council to take it over in 1911 due to lack of financial support. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Public Library as it was then called. Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 when Pattison accepted the position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council his huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower areas of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave from 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However, he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969. THE NEW WARRNAMBOOL LIBRARY When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Pattison. Eventually, the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. WARRNAMBOOL MECHANICS’ INSTITUTE Warrnambool's Mechanics' Institute (or Institution as it was sometimes called) was one of the earliest in Victoria. On 17th October 1853, a meeting was held where it was resolved to request the Lieutenant Governor of the Colony to grant land for the erection of a Mechanics' Institutes building. A committee was formed at the meeting and Richard Osburne chaired the first meeting of this committee. The land on the North West corner of Banyan and Merri Streets was granted but there were no funds to erect the building. The Formal Rights of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute's encompassed its aims and these were officially adopted in1859; "This Institution has for its object the diffusion of literary, scientific, and other useful knowledge amongst its members, excluding all controversial subjects, religious or political. These objects are sought to be obtained by means of a circulating library, a reading room, the establishment of classes, debates, and the occasional delivery of lectures on natural and experimental philosophy, mechanics, astronomy, chemistry, natural history, literature, and the useful and ornamental arts, particularly those which have a more immediate reference to the colony." The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute opened its first reading room in November 1884 in the National School building at the corner of Banyan and Timor Streets. The Institute was funded by member subscription, payable on a quarterly, half-yearly or yearly basis. Samuel Hannaford, the Manager of the Warrnambool Bank of Australasia, was the first Honorary Secretary of the Mechanics' Institutes, and an early President and Vice-President. He also gave several of the early lectures in the Reading Room. Another early Secretary, Librarian and lecturer was Marmaduke Fisher, the teacher at the National School. Lecture topics included The Poets and Poetry of Ireland', 'The Birth and Development of the Earth', 'The Vertebrae - with Remarks on the pleasures resulting from the study of Natural History' and 'Architecture'. In 1856 the Reading Room was moved to James Hider's shop in Timor Street, and by 1864 it was located in the bookshop of Davies and Read. In the 1860's the Mechanics' Institute struggled as membership waned but in 1866, after a series of fundraising efforts, the committee was able to purchase land in Liebig Street, on a site then called Market Square, between the weighbridge and the fire station. A Mechanics' Institute building was opened at this site in August 1871. The following year four more rooms were added to the main Reading Room and in 1873 the Artisan School of Design was incorporated into the Institute. The same year Joseph Archibald established a Museum; however, it deteriorated when he was transferred to Bendigo in 1877. In 1880, with Archibald's return to Warrnambool, the Museum was re-established, and in 1885 a new building was built at the back of the Institute to accommodate the re-created School of Design, the Art Gallery and the Museum. In 1887 the Museum section was moved to the former courthouse in Timor Street (for some time the walls of the building formed part of the TAFE cafeteria but all is now demolished)). In 1911 the Museum was transferred back to the original building and the management of the Mechanics' Institute was handed over to the Warrnambool City Council. The Museum and Art Gallery became one and housed many fine works of art, and the Library continued to grow. The building was well patronised, with records showing that at the beginning of the 20th century there were between 500 and 800 visitors. During World War One the monthly figures were in the thousands, with 3,400 people visiting in January 1915. The Museum was a much loved Institution in Warrnambool until the contents of the Museum and Art Gallery were removed to make room for the Warrnambool City Council Engineers' Department. The contents were stored but many of the items were scattered or lost. When the original building was demolished the site became occupied by the Civic Centre, which included the new City Library. (The library was temporarily located in the old Palais building in Koroit Street.) In the process of reorganisation the Collection was distributed amongst the community groups: -The new City Library took some of the historical books and some important documents, historic photographs and newspapers. -The Art Gallery kept the 19th Century art collection and some of the artefacts from the museum. -The Historical Society has some items -The State Museum has some items -Some items were destroyed -Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village has old newspapers, Government Gazettes, most of the Mechanics' Institute Library, ledgers and documents connected to the Mechanics' Institute Library, some framed and unframed artworks and some photographs. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute Library book collection is deemed to be of great importance because it is one of the few collections in an almost intact state, and many of the books are now very rare and of great value.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

The label on spine cover with typed text R.H. 267.7 DAN Pastedown front endpaper has a sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

no image

Book - Australian Regional Colleges Annual Report, 1986

Key words

regional education
regional colleges
c.d. blake
ballarat school of mines
ballarat college of advanced education
higher education
economic impact

White and blue soft covered book. INcluded reports on regional colleges at Ballarat, Bendigo, Capricornia, Darling Downs, Gippsland. Mitchell, NOrthern Rivers, Riverina-Murray, Tasmania, and Warrnambool

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Registration Form - Ballarat Junior Technical School Registration Form

Key words

ballarat junior technical school
robert borradale
george booth
registration form
albert steane
william northcott

Beige coloured foolscap form of registration for the Ballarat Junior Technical School

Historical information

Robert Borradale attended the Ballarat Junior Technical School predecessor institution of Federation University Australia.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Object - Martin Report, The Australian Quarterly, Vol. 37, No. 2, June 1965, pp 79-84

Key words

martin report
tertiary education reform

The overview of the Martin Report reviewing the condition of tertiary education in Australia, and suggesting changes for the future.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen