Historical information

The large plaster Illisos depicted in the back of this image is still held by Federation University Australia.

The Ballarat Technical Art School (No. 10) was part of the Ballarat School of Mines and was established in 1907. After conducting classes in various locations around Ballarat a custom built art school was erected on the site of the former Ballarat Circuit Court House, previously used as the initial building of the Ballarat School of Mines. Examples of drawings undertaken by students, as well as some plaster castes are held in the University of Ballarat Historical Collection.

The Ballarat Technical art School is the oldest continuous Tertiary Art School in Australia.

Sir Alexander Peacock opened the new Ballarat Technical Art School building in July 1915. It cost 10,000 pounds and was constructed by the Public Works Department from plans drawn by the then Art School Principal, Herbert H. Smith. The building contractors were Messrs Gower and Eddards.

According to the SMB Annual Report of 1914 'the internal upholstering and fittings have all been carried out in Australian timbers, with Queensland maple largely used throughout.'

The building could be described as federation-art deco in style. It features sandstone insertion with sandstone string coursing. The base of the building is rusticated sandstone.

The building is functional in design with large metal windows in the south wall to ensure good light into the studios. The northern wall has standard double hung windows.

The interior of the building features a carved wooden staircase and cast iron ceiling vents. The rear drawing studios could be made into one large studio by opening panelled timber doors. This opening features classical plaster pilasters with a pediment above. (http://guerin.ballarat.edu.au/curator/buildings/technical_art_school.shtml)

Physical description

Black and white mounted photograph showing eleven students of the Ballarat School of Mines Technical Art School drawing from plaster models of human bodies in various poses and of various scales.

The students are in a room of the Ballarat Technical Art School which was custom built for teaching art.

The image was reproduced in the 1920 Ballarat School of Mines Students' Magazine.