An historical visual record of some of the members of the Ladies Harbour Lights Guild, circa 1950. Many events run by the LHLG founded in 1906, were initially held in venues across Melbourne. In later years the main hall of the building opened in 1917 became a main venue for entertainment, meals and dancing. The LHLG organisation eventually amalgamated with the Flying Angels at the Mission circa 1962 and many LHLG members such as Dora Simpson, later elected as FA President went on to officiate.
The Ladies Harbour Lights Guild (LHLG) a Melbourne and statewide network initially raised funds and held events for the Mission to Seafarers. Originally founded in 1906 the LHLG were responsible in 1917 for raising the funding for the Chapel and Dome at the Mission. The group and network developed a structure promoted to and adopted in one form or another by other similar auxiliary groups supporting Missions around the world.
Black and white photograph. Image shows a number of women sitting in front of the stage in the main hall of the Mission to Seafarers Melbourne. In the background there is a three-piece band situated on the stage. Depicts the MtSV stage decorated with flowers, and lengths of material woven through an arch.The ladies seated in two rows in front of the stage all wearing summer dresses and have short hair styles typical of the 1950s
Inscriptions & markings
Printed title and donor information printed across the top of the mount. See also historical information
- ladies harbour lights guild,
- mission to seafarers,
- seamen mission,
- mission to seamen,
- flying angel,
- flinders street,
- prue leggoe,
- lynette reynolds (nee madson),
- king george vi