Letter - Letter from Allan Quinn to his mother
From the Collection of Mission to Seafarers Victoria 717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria
- Letter addressed to Mrs S. Quinn, "Sanlorenzo", 63 Ocean Beach, Manly, N.S.W, in five parts. Part 0151.1 Envelope Part 0151.2 Letter Page, 0151.3 Letter Page, 0151.4 Letter Page, 0151.5 Letter Page . Both the envelope and letter were white paper, which is now a yellow-white. The letter begins "My Dear Mum, This is just a short note..." and concludes with "P.S. I have a photo of myself...". In the top right hand corner of the letter is "M.T. Joonawarra / San Francisco / U.S.A / 15.7.1945
- H9 x W16.2 (Envelope) H 21.2 (Pages)
- photograph, allan-quinn, mt-joonawara, 1945
- The letter was written by Allen Quinn to his mother. Allen started working as a seafarer when he was 16 years old, and frequently wrote to his mother during his travels. He also created an extensive photograph collection, which corresponds with the letters.
- 15 July 1945
- The letter is part of an ongoing correspondence between Allan and his mother. This letter mentions the M.T. Joonawarra, the ship Allan was working on at the time, as well as its sister ship, the "Kookaburra".
- Front of envelope: MRS. S. QUINN, / "SANLORENZO", / 63 OCEAN BEACH, / MANLY / N.S.W. AUSTRALIA handwritten in blue ink. In the top right hand corner is a red Australian stamp. In the middle of the top of the envelope is postmark: SP (indecipherable) / O'LAND / 1 AM / 2 9 AUG 2 / 1945 / POSTED IN / PILLARS.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM