In 1940 Field Headquarters for the Kiewa Scheme were established at Bogong with office, workshop facilities and accommodation for workmen, staff and some families constructed. (There had been a 'tent camp' on this site in 1939 but was destroyed by bushfires) Construction of accommodation continued until 1947. A total of 40 houses plus a hostel for single staff, post office, police station, medical centre and primary school all with water and sewerage and electricity supply. The staff hostel was known as Kiewa House and is now occupied by the Education Department. Lake Guy was named after Mr. L.T. Guy who was the Resident Engineer in charge of construction work and associated activities on the Kiewa area. He held this position from 1939 to November 1946 when he was transferred to Head Office.
This photograph is an excellent historical record of Bogong Village in about 1945. It shows the layout of the town in the fairly steep terrain, the workmen's camp between the houses and the lake foreshore, the Commissioner's Lodge on the hill behind the Village, the walkway through the dam wall can be seen to the left of the spillway, the dam is on spill and note damage to the large trees is still evident from the 1939 bush fires. The Commissioner's Lodge was lost in the 2003 fires and the camp buildings were in service until 1962, when they were removed and the site converted into a public picnic area with lawns and gardens.
A Black and white photograph
Inscriptions & markings
"Lake Guy and Bogong" hand written on back of photograph.