From the Collection of Churchill Island Heritage Farm 1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria
- Hand-made individual bobbin made lace motifs hand sewn together with bobbin made brides. Cream coloured, Some stains,
- Centre point of back of collar to end of panel 52cm x two sides
- lace, churchill island, janet amess lace collection, bobbin lace, lace collar, amess
- Worn by Jane (Janet) Amess. She and her husband Samuel owned Churchill Island from 1872-1879. Samuel was an Alderman of Melbourne City Council and Mayor in 1870. They used Churchill Island as a holiday retreat and built a substantial weatherboard dwelling there now known as Amess House. The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are:
Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island.
Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane
Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell
Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.
- circa 1870
- This collar is part of a 94 piece collection of small lace items accumulated by four generations of Amess women, starting with Janet Amess in the 1850s.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:11AM