From
Close

LACE TRIM

From the Collection of Churchill Island Heritage Farm 1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

Description
Machine made lace with spotted and floral pattern
Size
9.3 cm wide x 82.5cm long
Object Registration
0005.1
Keywords
churchill island, lace, janet amess lace collection, trim, amess
Historical information
The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are:
Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island.
Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane
Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell
Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.
Significance
The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929
Last updated
3 Mar 2017 at 10:11AM